Most "fun" to shoot pocket pistols..

PDA

CNobbe
March 29, 2013, 12:41 AM
Someone asked me today, "What pistol would reccomend for having some fun at the range with as well as carrying in a pocket?" Got me thinking as since summer appears to be around the corner, I prefer as small and light of a carry pistol as possible, but there aren't too many that fit the "fun" category.

My 2 favorite range/summer carry pisols: Springfield XDS and Sig Sauer P238.

To me, both soft shooting, and very, very accurate for their sizes.

Haven't tried an S&W Shield, though I'm told they're fantastic.

If I had to pick a third place winner, Walther PPK or PPK/S.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most "fun" to shoot pocket pistols.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RevolvingGarbage
March 29, 2013, 01:34 AM
I enjoyed shooting the PF9 I had for a while. Its a handful, but the sights are more like "real" gun sights, and it was always surprisingly accurate.

dsk
March 29, 2013, 01:58 AM
If you want it to be fun to shoot as well as suitable for pocket carry then it's probably going to have to be a fairly mild caliber. .22LR pocket guns are very fun to shoot, but also my next-to-last choice in a defense gun. The .32ACP is a bit better, and a pistol like the Kel-Tec P32 is easy to shoot as well as having a bit more oomph. Then of course there are the tiny .380s, most of which aren't much fun to shoot at all unless they're larger and heavier than what would qualify as a true pocket gun. In those I would recommend either a Kahr CW380/P380 or one of the Colt Mustang clones (Sig P238, etc). Both are pocketable yet have fairly mild recoil.

C0untZer0
March 29, 2013, 01:59 AM
You can strike the Rohrbaugh R9 from the list.

I work out with weights and grippers everyday to keep muscle mass in my forearms and maintain a strong grip.

I'm able to shoot the R9 without it punishing my hand or wrist, and while a range session with it brings a gratifying sense of accomplishment - I wouldn't say it's "fun".

The most fun gun I have to shoot is my Glock 17L, which sticks out quite a bit when I try to put it in a pocket.

toivo
March 29, 2013, 02:27 AM
I have a Beretta Jetfire .25 that's a lot of fun to shoot. It might not be so much fun in a defensive situation, though. I also have a PSA Baby Browning clone, also .25, that I feel the same way about. It's harder to shoot accurately than the Beretta and stings my hand a little because of the tiny grip, but still fun.

I have a Kel-Tec P32 also. That's probably the best compromise between shootability and defensive potential for a pocket pistol: more shootable than a P3AT, carries one more round, marginal caliber but better than .22 or .25 anyway.

I have a couple of subcompact 9MMs that I would rate for shootability as follows: (1) Glock 26, (2) Beretta Nano, (3) Kel-Tec PF9. However, I couldn't call any of these a "pocket pistol" unless you mean a coat pocket instead of a pants pocket.

Roadking Rider
March 29, 2013, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't consider any of those pistols you mentioned true pants pocket pistols. Most true pants pockets pistols are .380's. The closest I've ever been able to come to a 9mm pants pocket pistol is a Kahr CM/PM9. For me there even a little big for me to carry comfortably in a pants pocket and still do the things I normally do during a day. Only exception to that would be the pockets on cargo style pants or shorts. When I do pocket carry I carry a P3at.

ObsidianOne
March 29, 2013, 08:31 AM
I enjoy my Ruger LC9 quite a bit :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

bannockburn
March 29, 2013, 08:52 AM
Of my current pocket sized autos I would have to say that my Colt Mustang and SIG P-238 are the most fun to shoot. I also have a Baby Browning and while it doesn't generate all that much in felt recoil the small grip area isn't all that comfortable to try and hold onto.

A couple of other fun guns in this category would be a Beretta Jetfire and an Astra Cub.

Beentown
March 29, 2013, 09:37 AM
Kahr CM9

allaroundhunter
March 29, 2013, 10:06 AM
Sig Sauer P238, or Kimber Solo

PRM
March 29, 2013, 10:19 AM
Talking semi-autos

Pocket guns - bring to mind first, my Walther PP and PPK/s.

However, fun and economy combined make my Beretta 21A in .22LR hard to beat (when you can find the ammo).

Certaindeaf
March 29, 2013, 10:52 AM
Any little .22 or .25.. from a piece a crap to the finest baby Browning etc. There's just something fun about shooting a tiny little gun.. and hitting your target.

allin
March 29, 2013, 11:03 AM
J frame 38 with 3" barrel.

rodinal220
March 29, 2013, 11:28 AM
Astra Cub (22short)with some CCI ammo.

Jim NE
March 29, 2013, 12:18 PM
Any little .22 or .25..

Agreed.

For me, the clear winner in the "fun to shoot" category is my Taurus PT 22. Never ever jams, though it had a long break in period. On rare occassion, it light strikes, but a second pull of the trigger (it's DAO) always fires the round. IT'S FUN! Accurate, too, up to 25 feet.

Also doesn't cost much...that's part of the fun. It's a clone of the little Beretta, so if you can find a used Beretta, it may not be much more than a new Taurus. Only problem: .22 or .25 marginal for defense. I consider mine a plinker that I can throw in my pocket - it's so small and light I sometimes forget it's there.

Second place for fun is my modded KelTec P-11, but only after the trigger loosened up and I lengthened the grip with a hi-cap mag (and handall). The recoil's now fine. This is my main carry.

If you expanded the category to revolvers, my classic model 37 Smith would be tied for second. Little wood grips are very fun, in my book!

Dr.Rob
March 29, 2013, 12:33 PM
Colt 1908 Vest Pocket .25 is fun, but when you see how it's made inside cocked and locked carry is a lil scary.

far more practical: Colt Government 380.

wlewisiii
March 29, 2013, 12:46 PM
I deeply enjoy shooting my Mauser HSc. That's one of the big reasons it's my EDC.

Certaindeaf
March 29, 2013, 01:01 PM
Agreed.

For me, the clear winner in the "fun to shoot" category is my Taurus PT 22. Never ever jams, though it had a long break in period. On rare occassion, it light strikes, but a second pull of the trigger (it's DAO) always fires the round. IT'S FUN! Accurate, too, up to 25 feet..

I'm really going to have to get one of those. I handled one and I really like everything about it.

Jim Watson
March 29, 2013, 01:03 PM
For fun you need one of the old pocket pistols that would not fit any modern style except a cargo pocket. But a .32 Colt, Walther, or one of their many competitors can be a great shooter. The corresponding .380s, not so much; a blowback .380 is a bit of a kicker.

My Colt Gov't .380 is locked breech and pretty mild to shoot, though. I use it for IDPA BUG.

My Keltec and S&W Airweight actual pocket guns do not qualify as fun to shoot; just something to grind through a practice session with every once in a while.

earlthegoat2
March 29, 2013, 01:08 PM
Seecamp or NAA Guardian

Actually a decent weight for shooting with so that makes it quite fun.

blueskyjaunte
March 29, 2013, 01:29 PM
.25 ACP: Baby Browning. Always draws looks/chuckles at the range.
.32 NAA: NAA Guardian. Like a pocket howitzer, draws looks...and profanities!
.32 ACP: FN1910. Unbelievably accurate, soft-shooting, and a great trigger.
.380 ACP: SIG P238. Surprisingly accurate and soft-shooting for its size/weight.
.38 Sp: Any all-steel snubby. Standard .38 Sp loads are nice and soft.
9x19mm: Kahr MK9. All steel, so it really soaks up recoil

For me (6'-ish and 220 lbs.) anything bigger than the Kahr MK9 isn't pocketable.

Bill4282
March 29, 2013, 02:14 PM
2" snubbie with .38 target rounds

kbbailey
March 29, 2013, 02:24 PM
"What pistol would reccomend for having some fun at the range with as well as carrying in a pocket?"

I'll say it....since nobody else has,

NAA .22lr/.22mag mini revolver. Fun and cheap to shoot with the .22lr. .22mag for ccw (bare minimum). A true 'pocket gun'. Truly fun to shoot.

kokapelli
March 29, 2013, 02:56 PM
A lot of the guns mentioned in this thread are not what I would consider pocket guns, but I guess it depends on the style of pants you wear and how much discomfort you are willing to accept.

I have a PM9 and find it a little too bulky for regular pocket carry.

I had a PF9 that was also too large for pocket carry and it was certainly no fun to shoot.

It was also mentioned that there were no nines small enough for pocket carry! Well I guess that poster has never heard of or seen the R9.

The NAA I had was just plain painful to shoot as was the Seecamp someone at the range let me shoot. Of course both are BlowBack actions.

My Micro Desert Eagle is 100% reliable but also very painful to shoot and two magazines is all I care to shoot at any one range session with it.

My P238 is clearly the winner when it comes to fun to shoot pocket pistols and my TCP is second.

I have shot a friend's Kahr P380 but it doesn't come close to the P238 and I also prefer the TCP over the little Kahr.

silicosys4
March 29, 2013, 03:52 PM
The funnest "pocket gun" for me to shoot was a taurus pt22. It was cheap to feed, reliable, recoiled enough even with .22lr to feel like I was actually shooting something, and I could roll a popcan around just fine at 10 yards all day long. I liked it alot, and it helped me learn to hold, aim, and shoot a pocket gun effectively. It actually filled the role of plinker MUCH better for me than it did as a dedicated carry piece, though. If I was to list my favorite gun that is suitable for both a fun afternoon of shooting and deep concealment, it would be either my PM9, or a .38 spcl. j-frame with light wadcutters for recreational shooting, +p for carry.

Edit: Jim NE beat me to it! I miss mine, makes me want to get another..

5-SHOTS
March 29, 2013, 03:57 PM
I don't know if it is a true pocket pistol but my Colt Government 380 is a ton of fun at the range. Another fun gun was the Beretta Brev.1919 .25ACP my father used to own.

SPW1
March 29, 2013, 06:09 PM
Another vote for the taurus PT-22. Particularly the poly model. Mine has been flawless from the first round and the grips on the poly fit my hand much better than the older standard PT-22 does.

Sergei Mosin
March 29, 2013, 06:50 PM
My wife's P238 shoots softly and accurately. We could shoot it all day.

My .357 LCR creates a tremendous fireworks display. That's a different kind of fun. It's quite accurate too.

Texan Scott
March 29, 2013, 06:57 PM
Bond Arms derringer... pick your caliber.

geim druth
March 29, 2013, 07:41 PM
Another vote for the Colt Government 380, both my wife and I enjoy shooting it. It is kind of heavy for a pocket gun, I suppose.

Averageman
March 29, 2013, 08:53 PM
P64, 9-18 Mak.
It is the perfect pocket gun.
Wolf will send you a bag full of springs for $20 and you can swap them around until trigger pull and recoil are tweaked to your liking.
DeSantis makes a nice little IWB holster for it.
Hornady makes great SD ammo for it.
It's as accurate out to 20 yds.
Makes a great BUG or Summer Pocket 9.
Under $250.

And I'm sure Walther is still upset the Polish Army got away with copying their pistol.

Cocked & Locked
March 29, 2013, 10:20 PM
This little feller

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6259764/317273115.jpg

This one hurts

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6263277/403777759.jpg

This one hurts too

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6263277/403297839.jpg

Spdracr39
March 29, 2013, 10:28 PM
I like my Sig P938 it is accurate and easy on the hand.

YZ
March 29, 2013, 10:50 PM
To name that pocket pistol we must know how deep your pockets are.

Seriously: A tie between the Beretta 71 Jaguar in .22 (single action, good grip, small sights) and the Bersa Firestorm 22 (DA/SA, good grip, just right sights).

SweetKnuckles
March 29, 2013, 11:02 PM
Beretta 21a .22

Sings w mini mags

No extractor, so I would never carry as a defensive option though

Hafnhaf
March 29, 2013, 11:30 PM
NOT the P3AT! My kids call it the sandpaper gun, 'cause that's what it feels like you have been rubbing your palms on after several mags at the range.

On the other hand (sorry) my .25 colt vest pocket pistol shoots loudly but easier on the hands. Of course it's just enough to piss someone off...

Jim NE
March 29, 2013, 11:53 PM
For me, the clear winner in the "fun to shoot" category is my Taurus PT 22. Never ever jams, though it had a long break in period. On rare occassion, it light strikes, but a second pull of the trigger (it's DAO) always fires the round. IT'S FUN! Accurate, too, up to 25 feet..

---

I'm really going to have to get one of those. I handled one and I really like everything about it.

I love mine, but be warned - mine took about 500 rounds to fully break in, and with the current cost of .22 ammo, that might be a problem. Extremely reliable now, though.

The good news is that most people don't seem to have that long of a break in period. Most people also seem to find the gun as accurate as I do.

Having said that, I saw a used Beretta (the original design) at a store for only 30 or 40 bucks more than the cost of a new Taurus, so that's also an option. One added cool feature - the tip up barrel would make it double as a great single shot trainer for kids who are learning to shoot, as well.

sgt127
March 30, 2013, 12:28 AM
The Beretta .25's are fun to shoot and, theres enough to hold onto. A real Walther PPK, (in its original .32 caliber) is fun to shoot also. Baby Browning and its Bauer clone are good. The rest? Eh.

TimboKhan
March 30, 2013, 12:34 AM
Not an auto, but my NAA .22 teensy-tiny revolver makes me giggle.

MedWheeler
March 30, 2013, 12:35 AM
I too have the PF9. I would call it neither a "pocket gun" nor a "fun shooter", but it is easily handled.

Of those "pocket" guns I own, my most-fun shooters are all .22LR guns. My P32 isn't bad, but the wincing I do over the cost of ammo detracts from the enjoyment.

I'm itching to shoot my PT-22 Taurus some more, too, and I'm apparently not the only one.

I have an FEG AP-22 also, a solid-steel rimfire version of that maker's PA-63. Pushes the limits of what counts as a "pocket pistol", and is about the same size as a PPK/S. It's also an excellent shooter, but I haven't gotten to spend enough time with it to decide which I like better.

L-Frame
March 30, 2013, 01:26 AM
Kel-tec P-32. Easy, accurate, reliable, cell phone size. Sweet.

JoePfeiffer
March 30, 2013, 03:10 AM
My CZ82 is a little bit large for my pockets, but it sure is fun.

toivo
March 30, 2013, 03:53 AM
Kel-tec P-32. Easy, accurate, reliable, cell phone size. Sweet.
My CZ82 is a little bit large for my pockets, but it sure is fun.

Had to chime in on this one. CZ-82/83 is no pocket pistol (unless you're the Jolly Green Giant), but a CZ-83 in .32ACP is really, really, really fun to shoot. :D

rob i
March 30, 2013, 08:59 AM
I've got more than a few pocket guns. My favorite to shoot would be my Beretta 950BS Jetfire. My baby brownings are not too far behind, but it's much easier to get accurate follow up shots with the Beretta.

stageman
March 30, 2013, 09:15 AM
My Colt 1908 is loads of fun to shoot.http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=111299&d=1261166498

j1
March 30, 2013, 09:17 AM
Phoenix 22 pistol. Small accurate and inexpensive. Now if I could only buy 22 rimfire cartridges.

weblance
March 30, 2013, 09:21 AM
I enjoy my Taurus PLY-22, Beretta 21a, Ruger LCR-22, Kel-Tec P32, Smith & Wesson 317, 2" SP101 357, and my Sig P238. All are pocket sized, and pleasant to shoot. I have other pocket pistols, that arent as fun to shoot. Ruger LCP, Smith & Wesson 638, Ruger KLCR-357, Ruger LC9.

usp9
March 31, 2013, 11:25 AM
I have the most fun with my;

Walther TPH, both in .22lr and .25acp, these are a blast. Certain HV .22lr will produce large wadcutter type holes from this gun. Very unique.

Daewoo DP52, perhaps the most well made PPK clone made. A very competent gun.

Bersa T22, while I'm not a great bersa fan, this gun has it's endearing qualities, and it's fairly cheap.

Kahr, though not all Kahrs are pocket guns, all of my Kahrs are fun to shoot. My personal favorite is the TP9.

Seecamp LWS32, not a great deal of fun to shoot but it is a most favored gun.

Sig P230 and P232, large but light, these are so nice!. The P230 I have is a .32acp, so it is very easy to manage and a great deal of fun at the range.

Walther PP and PPK/S, not as fun as the tiny TPH, but still smile makers. I have all three calibers, .380, .32acp and .22 that are reliable and accurate.

These are my most pocketable and most fun. I think my favorite is the Daewoo. Tough call.

threefortyduster
March 31, 2013, 11:28 AM
I have a Taurus TCP732 and it's a fun little gun. The recoil doesn't kill you since it's not a .380, and it is reliable. The only downside is that .32 ammo is decently pricey for its size.

Rembrandt
March 31, 2013, 02:20 PM
By far the most enjoyable pocket 9mm I have ever shot......Boberg 9mm. A real treat to shoot, doesn't beat you up, and most controllable small pocket gun I've found. Feed mechanism design is truly revolutionary. JMB would heartily approve of this gem.

Here's a You-tube review....

http://www.gunnewsblog.com/2013/03/hickock45-reviews-boberg-xr9-s.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/Firearms/005-1.jpg

DeepSouth
March 31, 2013, 02:30 PM
Baby Browning, except for the price of ammo.
I'd have to follow it with any of the smaller steel framed KAHR's.

Clark
March 31, 2013, 03:07 PM
To increase effectiveness, I overload 25acp, 32acp, 380acp, and 9x19mm to the point that recoil is painful.

None of my pockets pistols in those cartridges are fun to shoot.

But 22LR, which I don't carry because a body shot with a 22 has no effect on a 1 pound chicken, can be a fun pocket pistol to shoot.

Certaindeaf
March 31, 2013, 03:09 PM
They do have tiny little birdbrains.. but so does most everything.

j1
March 31, 2013, 03:13 PM
Beretta Bobcat and Phoenix 22 pistol both in 22 LR.

el Godfather
March 31, 2013, 05:08 PM
I would probably pick PPS Walther or a Makarov

flatlander937
March 31, 2013, 05:45 PM
While I agree with others that I'm not very comfortable with pocket carrying my CM9(mainly due to weight fully loaded than anything else), I know several who do... and my CM9 is a ton of fun to shoot at the range. It recoils considerably less than any 9mm gun that small I've shot. Only issues I've had are front sight breaking off(replaced with a metal Trijicon night sight, easy to do yourself with just a tiny screwdriver), and I bought a 7rd magazine for it that fails to feed 115gr FMJ Federal ammo(I've tried many others, just this ammo is tempermental. It has the longest OAL of all the ammo I've tested).

I don't pocket carry it, but I can carry it IWB with no undershirt really easily. I think I'll buy a P380 or CM380 to complement it and to implement pocket carry as I've been so pleased with it.

cja245
March 31, 2013, 06:17 PM
It depends on your definition of a pocket gun. Some people seem to have really big pockets. I would say the closest thing I've seen to a fun pocket gun is the Sig P238.

chicharrones
March 31, 2013, 07:13 PM
Having fired pocket guns in .22, .25, .32, .380, .38 Special, and 9mm (for bigger pockets), my most fun pocket gun to fire in my experience is the discontinued Taurus TCP 732 in .32 ACP.

It has light recoil and will hit 3" targets consistently at 15 yards, even with those little fixed sights which are by far better than my Beretta Bobcat's sights.

My NAA Guardian in .32 ACP only wishes it was as fun as the Taurus. It's a good thing the Guardian is smaller otherwise it would have been moved on long ago.

DesertFox
March 31, 2013, 09:48 PM
Pocket guns... Had a few before my unfortunate boating accident:

Taurus PT22 - had 2 when they first came out. Both broke. Taurus did me right. I'd like to check out one of the new poly ones as they are much better, by all accounts, then the older models. They were fun to shoot and I still have several magazines and holsters. Would by a new poly if there was ever going to be 22LR ammo available...

S&W 2214 - great little gun. Works with Model 41/46 mags too. Love the ambi mag release in the center of the grip. Very hard to find. Large grin factor shooting this one.

Beretta 21A - even better than the PT22 as it is SA/DA. Seems less picky on ammo as well. Very fun.

P64 - beefy for pocket but still small. Nasty trigger pull. Some people claim it has the nastiest recoil they've ever felt. I don't think so. Not so much fun to shoot.

AMT Backup 38 Super - yes, it is pocketable. Trigger pull makes the P64 seem like nothing - nearly impossible. Best used as brass knuckles. Or hurl it as a projectile itself. Not fun to shoot.

Taurus 738 - lightweight, easy trigger pull, manageable recoil. As much as I'd like to bash this one, zero FTF, FTE makes it a top choice for EDC. Fun to shoot too.

Taurus 856 HyLite - magnesium 6 shot 38 Special. Probably in my pocket more than anything else. 20% more firepower than a 5 shot snubbie. Did I mention light? Fun to shoot.

Taurus 94ULSS - 9 shots of 22LR in a snub revolver package, great for certain situations. Not much lighter than the non-UltraLite model so go with the steel one if cost is an issue. And a blast to shoot after getting the trigger "broken in".

mach1.3
April 2, 2013, 03:04 PM
I know this is funny but my favorite pocket pistol to shoot is my wife's Beretta 950S Minx in .22short. It's trinket sized, you can palm it like a playing card and within ten feet can be lethal with the proper shot placement. We game each other at the range to see accuracy winner at fifteen feet. Cool little pistol. Wouldn't trust my life to it---like I would my 1911 or Sig but the topic was fun to shoot.

Certaindeaf
April 2, 2013, 04:04 PM
I really wouldn't mind getting another S&W model 61 Escort (.22).. super reliable, accurate and fun. Fugly as heck though.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/3/3c/S%26W61Escort.jpg/300px-S%26W61Escort.jpg

Stevie-Ray
April 2, 2013, 04:11 PM
For me, the clear winner in the "fun to shoot" category is my Taurus PT 22.Same here, and mine has never failed even with HV TC rounds. I carried it on occasion, but only as BUG, and that's what I would recommend, being a .22 and all. Fun factor is quite high, though, as a "target of opportunity" grab and go piece.

WRGADog
April 2, 2013, 08:04 PM
My favorite small pistols are the Beretta Nano, Walther PPS, Kimber Solo, Kahr P380, Kahr PM9, XDsc, Beretta PX4sc. Each gun is fun to shoot. I have had no significant problems with any of them. The recoil is lightest on the XDsc and PX4sc, but recoil is easily managed on all.

CNobbe
April 2, 2013, 09:08 PM
I now have to add the Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 to my list. A friend of mine found one dirt cheap, sent it in, and they were able to fix a few things on it. We hit the range this morning....wow! Very fun, light recoiling, and accurate.

herkyguy
April 3, 2013, 09:23 AM
Sig P238. it is comfortable to shoot, has great sights for improved accuracy, and has fine little 1911 lines.

Mayvik
April 3, 2013, 12:21 PM
Second the Phoenix, although it's not really practical for carry since it's not recommended for anything but "standard" velocity loads and you have to disable or not use most of the 2035802938092830538 safeties. Also have a Jennings J-22 that works like a champ with Minimags (remember when you could buy those?) and is great for mag dumps and surprisingly accurate for what it is.

YZ
April 3, 2013, 02:53 PM
Seems like we are back to where we started. About every pocket gun has been mentioned. They are all winners. That's the REAL diversity.

Cocked & Locked
April 3, 2013, 03:21 PM
Did we mention these? Not "fun to shoot" but still a pocket pistol. :scrutiny:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6263277/403777759.jpg
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6263277/403777758.jpg

steven58
April 3, 2013, 07:49 PM
+1 on the Boberg XR9-S!

I have about 900 rounds of various 9mm through it to date and I am amazed at how comfortable and accurate this little pistol is. With proper ammunition I have had no jams or failures of any kind.

3.3" bbl, 7 + 1 rounds of +P 9mm in a sub compact 17 oz. Pkg that recoils like a H&K P7 = fun!

SleazyRider
April 3, 2013, 09:03 PM
It took quite a bit of amateur smithing to get her to run reliably, but she now digests any .22 ammunition without a cough or hiccup. She's a hoot to shoot:

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq315/Magnageek/DSCN1129_zpsa510561d.jpg

Gunner58
April 4, 2013, 12:11 AM
My wife's Taurus PT-25 is fun to shoot. Seems to be a solid little gun too. I just hate trying to find .25 caliber ammo. Not as cheap to shoot as .22lr.

MichigammeDave
April 5, 2013, 10:54 AM
I replaced the grips on my Beretta Tomcat .32, and now it's a lot of fun to shoot. It prints a little more, but still pocketable and much more accurate.
My Radom P64 in 9x18 is also a fun gun to shoot when I'm using my own reloads. Factory ammo, not so much. And, as has been mentioned before, the P64 is right on the edge of pocketability. But still a fun gun.

j1
April 6, 2013, 12:17 PM
Add the Baretta Bobcat to the list, please. You said fun to shoot nothing about selfdefense.

HKGuns
April 7, 2013, 02:21 AM
Keltec p32 is the only one I would put in that category. The PF9 I shot liked to try and jump out of my hands. Too little of a good thing I guess.

Mat, not doormat
April 7, 2013, 02:29 AM
Try a Kel-tec P32 with the ten round mag.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

dickydalton
April 7, 2013, 12:06 PM
My LCP or my 32 S&W Lemon Squeezer (125 years old and still OK)

Bill4282
April 11, 2013, 12:34 AM
SA GI .45 and a hoodie - grin

jackdaddycustoms
April 11, 2013, 11:32 PM
i have a ruger sr9c which i enjoy shooting quite a bit. while it is a compact, i'm not sure i would consider it a pocket pistol. the smith and wesson bodyguard 380 is fun too, and it is a pocket pistol.

SharpsDressedMan
April 12, 2013, 05:39 PM
You need large pockets, but the Colt .32 POCKET Hammerless. ........................ http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05372.jpg (http://s106.photobucket.com/user/matquig/media/DSC05372.jpg.html)

toivo
April 13, 2013, 12:51 AM
You need large pockets, but the Colt .32 POCKET Hammerless.They had larger pockets back in the day ...

http://www.murrayonhawaii.com/nolan/oxford_suit.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p295/lucyp_album/photos/famous/fats-waller/fatsHappyzoot.jpg http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-BE045009.jpg?size=67&uid=ff531139-d0f9-4606-8883-c9a5585f52e4

AdamSean
April 13, 2013, 12:55 AM
Is it just me or are "pocket pistols" getting bigger. Either that or pocket themselves are getting bigger. I think a pocket pistol is classified as being able to disappear in a pocket, not just fit in one. I can fit a Glock 27 in my pocket, but would not consider it a pocket gun.

That said, if it is something that can just fit in a pocket, I liked shooting a Walther PPK or Bersa Thunder .380. They were fun and easy to shoot.

Bentonville
April 13, 2013, 01:25 AM
Smith Model 37 airweight with factory bobbed hammer and with wadcutters. Accurate, low recoil, low muzzle blast. Fun! I just hate cleaning a revolver.

usp9
April 13, 2013, 08:28 AM
Since posting on March 31st, I found another fun gun to add to the list. This is my "new" 31 year old Beretta 70s. Classic, tight and sexy.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Beretta/Beretta70s060_zps5de1842c.jpg (http://s72.photobucket.com/user/ripley16/media/Pistols/Beretta/Beretta70s060_zps5de1842c.jpg.html)

Captcurt
April 13, 2013, 09:12 AM
I enjoy my Ruger LC9 quite a bit :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
I found one of the LC 380's. It is a hoot.

GLI45
April 14, 2013, 11:26 AM
+1 on the Sig P238. Terrific little gun.

DesertVet
April 16, 2013, 05:42 AM
Smith & Wesson Model 342 Airlite Titanium .38 Spl
Smith & Wesson Model 642 Airweight .38 Spl
Smith and Wesson Model 640 .38 Spl
Smith and Wesson Model 60 .38 Spl
Ruger SP101 .357 Mag
Colt Detective Special .38 Spl
Smith and Wesson Model 640 Pro .357 Mag
NAA .22 Mag

Glock 26 9mm
Glock 27 .40 s&w
Colt 1903 .32ACP
Walther PPK .380 AcP
Ruger LCP .380 ACP
Colt Pony Pocket Lite .380 ACP
Colt Officer's ACP .45 ACP
Kahr PM9

Love em all.....depends on WHICH pockets I have that day.....

chilly460
April 16, 2013, 05:25 PM
Not sure how some of the guns listed in the thread are considered "pocket" guns, I must have small pockets. I like shooting my Bodyguard, and consider it a true pocket gun.

Hilljun
April 16, 2013, 05:45 PM
I like to shot my Ruger 38 +P LCR with CT grips loaded hot. I also like to shot the ol SR 9 I know it won't fit in your pocket; however it will ride on your belt with an untucked Hawaiian button up over it and there is still only one hole after 17 rounds. I carry the LC9 everyday which is the only reason I shot it regularly. Its accurate I just want more to hold on to. My favorite thing to shot though won't even fit in my wifes purse. Ruger new model Super Blackhawk .44 I like to feel it.

Leadhead
April 26, 2013, 04:03 AM
Beauty! Which model is that? I haven't seen that rear sight option before.....
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Beretta/Beretta70s060_zps5de1842c.jpg

Snowdog
April 26, 2013, 05:30 AM
I know it's been covered, but here's another vote for the Sig 238. Mine is the HD model (steel frame rather than alloy) so the recoil is downright pleasant.

Taroman
April 26, 2013, 01:26 PM
Stretches the pocket a bit, but a hoot to shoot:
http://www.hverovhe.com/defender.jpg

dbrow6272
April 29, 2013, 01:24 PM
I enjoy my P238. I am looking forward to the NAA 22/22magnum. As soon as the panic is over I will buy one..

zeke4351
April 30, 2013, 10:56 PM
A fun gun to shoot with real sights is the Sig P238. It is a Rolex among pocket guns. The P938 is also great but not as much fun as its little brother.

JohnnyRotten
April 30, 2013, 11:32 PM
Mine would be my first ever handgun purchase over 14 years ago... a Pheonix Arms HP22A. It is not dependable but it is accurate, when it works, and I deffinetly would not carry it for self defense but it is an absolute blast to shoot!

For a bigger pocket I love my Springfield XD9SubCompact, great gun to shoot and conceals well and above all never had a failure of any kind!

CSG
May 1, 2013, 01:18 AM
I enjoy the heck out of my 30 year old Beretta 950 .25. That's a true pocket gun that makes my LCP look large.

As someone who owns a 442 and PM9, maybe a coat pocket but those won't fit in the pockets of any of the pants I wear without showing a little butt...

History.Doc
May 1, 2013, 01:47 AM
Ruger makes a shopkeeper that looks pretty fun. My cz rami is really fun to shoot.

Jed Carter
May 1, 2013, 06:23 PM
Fun pocket pistols, Beretta 950 Jetfire, .25ACP, SIG P238, .380ACP. Not quite pocket size, the S&W M&P Shield 9mm is really fun to shoot.

orionengnr
May 3, 2013, 11:21 PM
I sold everything below 9mm...including my LCP...which I really liked, and which worked impeccably.

My PM9 is a true pocket pistol...but it is at the edge of that particular envelope (for me). It is a good bit smaller than a j-frame, and lots of people consider a j-frame to be the perfect pocket pistol. I am not a large man, and I do not have large pockets. But I am also too old to own/wear mega-tight jeans. Anything else, no problem.

The PM9 also fires the smallest caliber I trust my life to. I can put 150 rounds through it at a range session...anything up to and including 127+p+ Ranger ammo.

YMMV (on all counts).

whetrock
May 4, 2013, 06:47 PM
This little junker right here. Traded a NIB Spyderco Manix 2 for it. Shoots bulk ammo, like it's going out of style, and is quite accurate, even though it's got a very short sight radius, I might even go as far as to say you could take small game with this pistol in a pinch. I need to try sometime. Very impressive for the price, and it exceeded my expectations a great deal.

http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg639/whetrock/IMG_0222_zps94267b84.jpg (http://s1247.photobucket.com/user/whetrock/media/IMG_0222_zps94267b84.jpg.html)

CZguy
May 4, 2013, 11:52 PM
and is quite accurate, even though it's got a very short sight radius, I might even go as far as to say you could take small game with this piste in a pinch. I need to try sometime.

:what: You sure must be a better shot than I am.

Cokeman
May 5, 2013, 05:15 AM
I believe any gun is fun to shoot for one reason or another. My favorite is my Kahr P380.

muggia59
May 5, 2013, 08:08 PM
My sig p938. It has an awesome 1911 style trigger pull. Had an sr9 and a pf9, but the p938 trigger tops them both.

rickb2202
May 5, 2013, 09:54 PM
model m pocket hammerless colt in .32 or .380

golden
May 7, 2013, 01:09 PM
My favorite pocket pistol to shoot is the blue, alloy frame version of the SIG 232 in .380ACP. It is accurate, has great sights (mine include tritium night sights), a smooth trigger action like most SIG'S and a grip that fits my hand like a glove and minimizes recoil.

It is one of the pistols that I carry in a pocket on a regular basis.

For the number two position, I would nominate my pre-war WALTHER PPK in 32ACP. It is heavy enough to offset the recoil of the .32ACP which is nothing in a gun the size of a BERETTA model 82, but more noticeable in a compact like this.
The sights are adequate, but nowhere close to the fine ones on the SIG 232 and the trigger is heavier as well. Since I have average size hands, the gun has never bit me and I carry it as an alterative to the SIG when the clothes I wear are a little tighter and more likely to show the SIG.

A third one, that barely qualifies as a pocket gun, is the COLT 1903. This gun has the same, small pre war style sights as the WALTHER and lacks a double action trigger. It is very slim however and a great shooter, that is more accurate than I would have expected. I like to shoot it, even though it is too heavy to carry, so I mention it.

Jim

Cocked & Locked
May 7, 2013, 02:03 PM
My favorite pocket pistol to shoot is the blue, alloy frame version of the SIG 232 in .380ACP.

My earlier version (SIG P230) is in the back pocket of my Carhartt bib overalls right now. These guns are great shooters. I acquired mine as added boot on a trade I had been holding out on. I originally thought I would sell it but don't think I ever will.

Since taking this pic, I've put the black plastic factory grips on it and like it even more.
http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6263277/404226087.jpg

I agree with you 100% on the 1903 Colt. Great shooter. Nice and flat but slightly heavy for a pocket...this era's pockets anyway.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6259764/381649867.jpg

g_one
May 7, 2013, 03:21 PM
My G26 was an absolute blast to shoot. When I first got it, and for months and months of owning it, I considered it a pocket gun. It was small enough to feel like a real pocket gun, and there's just something about the Glocks that make them SO MUCH FUN to shoot - especially rapid firing. However, I eventually conceded the point that in my opinion, it really is just too big for a pocket gun. Now I have an LCP which, although not quite as fun as the G26, is still pretty fun.

Something about a tiny little machine that can barely be seen in my hands going boom that just makes for an awesome range gun. Really makes me want to try out one of those Rorhbaughs.

ocob
May 7, 2013, 11:08 PM
My XDS has great sights, decent trigger, relatively soft recoil and surprising accuracy.

DAdams
May 7, 2013, 11:08 PM
Boberg XR9S
S&W M&P 340
Kahr PM9

CZguy
May 8, 2013, 12:59 AM
I enjoy shooting my Beretta 21a. But back in the early seventies a friend had a Colt Escort that I really enjoyed plinking with.

KodeFore
May 8, 2013, 02:57 AM
Phoenix Hp22 For Fun To Shoot Pocket Size. If Defensive Use Is A Consideration Then Glock 27 With G22 Mags For Reloads

DonGlock26
May 8, 2013, 09:19 AM
The Kel-Tec P-32 is fun to shoot and easy to carry.

arizona98tj
May 8, 2013, 07:35 PM
I have 4 pocket pistols....a J-frame, a LCR, a PM9, and a XD-S. Without a doubt, I enjoy shooting the XD-S more than the others.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most "fun" to shoot pocket pistols.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!