Looking to buy a suppressor

PDA

TrickyDick
March 29, 2013, 01:27 AM
I'm thinking about investing in a suppressor for my AR-15. It has a 20" barrel, and I'm not exactly sure how much Db reduction I'll need to be able to fire it comfortably without ear protection. I'm well aware that it's not a "silencer", despite how much we wish they were. could anyone fill me in?

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking to buy a suppressor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Grand Baboon
March 29, 2013, 12:43 PM
Here's a SilencerCo Saker on an 18" AR-15 (along with some other suppressors).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be-7ZUkbUhI

As hearing safe as you can get at this point.

nosmr2
March 29, 2013, 01:38 PM
Did anyone else catch it at 2:40 or so in the video? Pretty good.

mtrmn
March 29, 2013, 02:58 PM
Most all of the big-name suppressors will be very close in amount of suppression. Probably 90% of the noise with mine is the supersonic crack. This is also most of the noise of a 22LR rifle using supersonic ammo. The bullet breaking the sound barrier is much louder than you'd think.

I can go 100 yds downrange and stand in a protected position while a friend fires a supersonic round past my position and the sound of the bullet passing by is almost just as loud as as the sound I hear standing near the shooter's position. Like someone standing at the closest point of the bullet's fly-by and shooting a 22LR un-suppressed. No sound whatsoever could be heard from the shooter's position.

With subsonic ammo you are down to the noise level of a BB gun or maybe just a little louder. But downrange performance is dismal at best if you need to inflict max damage to the target.

The Grand Baboon
March 29, 2013, 03:23 PM
Did anyone else catch it at 2:40 or so in the video? Pretty good.

The Imperial walkers? Hah, that's hilarious. I didn't even see that.

hentown
March 29, 2013, 06:23 PM
I recently acquired a .300 Blackout barrel and converted one of my ARs. Shooting sub-sonic, 200+ grain bullets, they don't make much noise at all.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking to buy a suppressor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!