Another push from the otherside. The good news? They sound desperate.

PDA

ol' scratch
March 29, 2013, 09:35 AM
The gun control advocates are trying another push. The good news is that Obama in particular sounds desperate. If you stopped writing because you thought it was getting better, start up again. People on our side need to understand we still support them. People on the otherside of the issue need to understand there will be a political price to pay. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/29/us/politics/obama-makes-impassioned-plea-for-gun-control.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

If you enjoyed reading about "Another push from the otherside. The good news? They sound desperate." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gc70
March 29, 2013, 10:25 AM
I watched Bloomberg's advertisement for North Carolina. An actor gave the predictable spiel about gun owners wanting reasonable gun controls. But I think the ad will actually do us good. The actor is dressed up like a caricature of a redneck, he is sitting on the bed of a pickup in front of a shack, and he is fondling the trigger of a shotgun throughout the ad. A lot of urban folks will be dismissive of the redneck character and most everyone will be offended by the not-so-subtle suggestion that North Carolina is populated by a bunch of backward rubes. That may be how New Englanders see us, but it does not play well here.

19-3Ben
March 29, 2013, 10:36 AM
That may be how New Englanders see us, but it does not play well here.

Ha! As someone who lives in New England, and has family in NC (Chapel Hill), I can confirm your suspicion. That's how pretty much the whole Northeast views pretty much the entire south. It shocks us when we find out otherwise.
I really do hope people see through the BS in that ad.

I think the OPs assessment of Obama is correct. He sounds desperate at this point. I think the emotional capital he needed is gone, and without raw emotions getting in the way of facts, there's just not much the anti-gunners can do. So let's push hard. Harder than before, and beat these cretins into the ground!

rdhood
March 29, 2013, 10:41 AM
most everyone will be offended by the not-so-subtle suggestion that North Carolina is populated by a bunch of backward rubes

interesting how Bloomberg chose that stereotype. It tells what urban rich liberals think about a world with which they have no knowledge. Personally, I find it offensive.

Ryanxia
March 29, 2013, 10:43 AM
We've done so well thus far, I really hope people don't slack off in these final two weeks and give it up.

And of course even after the April 8th decisions we must continue to be active in securing our freedom.

Pilot
March 29, 2013, 10:46 AM
I don't think we've done so well considering what has happened in Colorado, and New York. We have as much or more to fear from the states about the reduction in 2A rights.

kwguy
March 29, 2013, 10:57 AM
Lets keep the 'long view' perspective. We are mostly performing holding actions. They will continually attempt to erode our rights, but we have to keep constantly vigilant, and try to gain ground when we can.

Ryanxia
March 29, 2013, 10:59 AM
I don't think we've done so well considering what has happened in Colorado, and New York. We have as much or more to fear from the states about the reduction in 2A rights.
I'm speaking on a federal level. Considering how much the country was out for blood after CT we've curbed even the "AWB" that was so sure to pass.
Also, the NY law is getting a lot of resistance and may not stand for long.

Pilot
March 29, 2013, 11:04 AM
I understand you were speaking of the Feds, but just want to be clear that our rights can, and have been reduced by Fed, State, and local governments.

Yes, the AWB on a national level may be difficult to get passed, but I don't think we're out of the woods. What do you think will happen when another shooting occurs with an AR-15 or semi-auto pistols with what the media, and anti-gun politicians think are "hi-cap" magazines?

Ryanxia
March 29, 2013, 11:20 AM
I understand you were speaking of the Feds, but just want to be clear that our rights can, and have been reduced by Fed, State, and local governments.

Yes, the AWB on a national level may be difficult to get passed, but I don't think we're out of the woods. What do you think will happen when another shooting occurs with an AR-15 or semi-auto pistols with what the media, and anti-gun politicians think are "hi-cap" magazines?
We're definitely not out of the woods, nor will we ever be. But without our fierce resistance over these past few months we surely would have lost many more Rights.

morcey2
March 29, 2013, 01:34 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the guy in the Bloomingborg commercial is trying just a little too hard on the accent? My wife's from Virginia, and has lived in Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida, and Georgia. She said that he sounded like the typical "Yankee" (her words) trying to fake a slight southern accent. To me it sounded like a generic mix of southern, mountain-west (utah, colorado, idaho, montana, wyoming, etc), and upper mid-west accents. In the words of whatshisname from Mrs. Doubtfire, "Your accent is a little muddled."

Matt

Ignition Override
March 30, 2013, 05:51 AM
Hopefully so.
But if there is a future massacre they might not Need to be desperate.

I would rather say if, instead of the word 'when', and say a quiet prayer every night,
asking "Him" to offer extra protection to children, all over the world.

kwguy
March 30, 2013, 08:23 AM
Ditto.

OilyPablo
March 30, 2013, 08:50 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f191/usmarine0352/SandyExploit_zps15adcf2a.jpg

T2K
March 30, 2013, 09:56 AM
Strategically, we've got to get off the defensive. You can't win on the defensive, you can only postpone defeat. Logically, we can only assume that there will be another massacre (sadly).

Laws like the ones restricting further gun control are good. Ultimately, though, we've got to get more people on our side. If eventually 65% of the US population wants to repeal the 2nd Amendment, it can happen.

rdhood
March 31, 2013, 08:26 PM
Logically, we can only assume that there will be another massacre (sadly).

Make all of your firearms preparations like there will be another massacre tomorrow.

Kiln
March 31, 2013, 09:26 PM
Why should we not ecpect another massacre whenever the media and president talk about nothing else for four straight months.

A potential mass murderer draws from this that:

1. The mass shooting will make them more famous than the debt crisis, immigration reform, and whitehouse tours being canceled.

2. He'll get air time on every major media outlet. For months.

3. The president will directly reference his actions in the following push for gun control.

Vern Humphrey
March 31, 2013, 09:37 PM
I watched Bloomberg's advertisement for North Carolina. An actor gave the predictable spiel about gun owners wanting reasonable gun controls. But I think the ad will actually do us good. The actor is dressed up like a caricature of a redneck, he is sitting on the bed of a pickup in front of a shack, and he is fondling the trigger of a shotgun throughout the ad. A lot of urban folks will be dismissive of the redneck character and most everyone will be offended by the not-so-subtle suggestion that North Carolina is populated by a bunch of backward rubes. That may be how New Englanders see us, but it does not play well here.
I'll tell you that bigotted, condescending approach won't go down well in Arkansas. Bloomberg has recruited our only Democrat Senator to make the pitch -- and he's committed political suicide by joining with Bloomberg.

jerkface11
March 31, 2013, 09:49 PM
Where do you get that Pryor is working with Bloomberg?

Vern Humphrey
March 31, 2013, 10:02 PM
From the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, of course, which ran a front page article on it.

jerkface11
March 31, 2013, 10:08 PM
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/26/sen-mark-pryor-chafes-bloomberg-gun-control-ads-ar/ this says otherwise. As does his web page.

Vern Humphrey
April 1, 2013, 07:51 PM
That's two days after the Democrat-Gazette published the story, and after he'd got a bazillion emails.

jerkface11
April 1, 2013, 08:00 PM
You can't look at the gazette article online and I can't find another source for that.

Vern Humphrey
April 1, 2013, 08:23 PM
Take my word for it, it was there. And he has not responded to emails on the subject.

Kiln
April 2, 2013, 12:56 AM
Take my word for it, it was there. And he has not responded to emails on the subject.
I saw it too. I get the same paper.

Pryor is not an ally for second amendment supporters.

jerkface11
April 2, 2013, 01:13 AM
All google turns up is Pryor telling Bloomberg no thank you.

hang fire
April 2, 2013, 02:14 AM
Ever see the documentary movie, “Brother’s Keeper”? The dear old NE has little to no room to call southerners redneck hicks.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&rlz=1R2NDKB_enUS517&sclient=psy-ab&q=brother%27s+keeper+movie&rlz=1R2NDKB_enUS517&oq=Brother%27s+Keeper&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l4.4308.4308.0.7821.1.1.0.0.0.0.142.142.0j1.1.0...0.0...1c.2.8.psy-ab.a_dp0LIRYFw&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44697112,d.cGE&fp=834b7faf856cca8c&biw=1152&bih=455

Vern Humphrey
April 2, 2013, 11:31 AM
I saw it too. I get the same paper.

Pryor is not an ally for second amendment supporters.
Pryor is a slick-tongued liar. He'll say or do anything that is to his benefit -- and then turn around and do the opposite the next day.

I look forward to voting him out of office in 2014.

Vern Humphrey
April 2, 2013, 11:34 AM
All google turns up is Pryor telling Bloomberg no thank you.
Well, you now have two of us who live in Arkansas and who read the same story in the Democrat-Gazette.

jerkface11
April 2, 2013, 11:35 AM
We will have to see how he votes.

Vern Humphrey
April 2, 2013, 11:44 AM
Under pressure, as he has been, he'll vote no. As he did on Obamacare -- but behind the scenes, he'll work against us. As he did on Obamacare.

jerkface11
April 2, 2013, 12:01 PM
How is he supposedly working with Bloomberg?

Vern Humphrey
April 2, 2013, 12:04 PM
He originally agreed to be Bloomberg's pointman in Arkansas. He has since realized what a personal disaster that would be.

(added) Ask yourself this -- why was there an article in the Washington Times saying he wasn't working with Bloomberg? There were no articles about any other senators saying that, were there? Why does his website say he isn't working with Bloomberg? Have any other senators found it necessary to deny a Bloomberg connection?

igpoobah
April 2, 2013, 12:16 PM
Heard him on the radio this morning. He denied Bloomberg. He is, as he always has been, a political slickster trying to play both sides of the fence. We got rid of Blanche, we can get rid of this schmuck also.

Vern Humphrey
April 2, 2013, 12:22 PM
Oh, Pryor is toast! Another guy we need to send into oblvion is Mike Ross, who also came out for "common sense gun control."

jerkface11
April 2, 2013, 12:23 PM
He agreed to be Bloombergs pointman but only one paper reported it?

Vern Humphrey
April 2, 2013, 12:31 PM
I don't know how many papers reported it -- I and at least one other poster here saw it in the Democrat-Gazette.

oldcelt
April 3, 2013, 05:58 PM
That is an unfair remark about new englanders, we are not all alike. I've known people from both carolinas 'I thought they were ok guys. I hope I wasn't wrong.

greenmtnguy
April 4, 2013, 01:05 AM
New York is NOT part of New England - and those of us who are native New Englanders do not care for the ilk of Mr Bloomberg, nor for many other things from NYC for that matter!

Upstate New York is pretty nice though, and the upstate New Yorkers are fine with us.

Big_John1961
April 4, 2013, 01:41 AM
I have to say, I'm offended by Obama's insulting comments insinuating that people are forgetting what happened at Newtown. Really, Barry? He surrounds himself with family members of the victims of these horrific crimes, then has the gall to make offensive statements. Is this guy really this obtuse?

toivo
April 4, 2013, 03:18 AM
I'll bet my next paycheck that the guy in the Bloomberg ad is an actor from New York. It's a joke.

I live in upstate New York (but am originally from Michigan), and I know some people whose necks are pretty red ... Some of their families have been living in the same place since before the American Revolution, and they aren't exactly social register types. :p

And don't get me started on Swamp Yankees from Connecticut ... :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Another push from the otherside. The good news? They sound desperate." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!