phoenix

PDA

j1
March 29, 2013, 08:38 AM
Has anyone owned or shot a Phoenix Arms 22 pistol? Mine was cheap and fairly small and accurate at close range.

If you enjoyed reading about "phoenix" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kiln
March 29, 2013, 04:55 PM
They're alright for the money but have short lifespans of roughly 3.5k-4k rounds before the frames begin to crack.

Reliability was always good from both of the ones I've had but their lifespan leaves a lot to be desired.

351 WINCHESTER
March 29, 2013, 07:48 PM
Phoenix arms will fix em fer free if they break. I had one and it was a very accurate little pistol, just too heavy, but it never jammed.

MedWheeler
March 29, 2013, 11:21 PM
Your findings are typical (though the word "light" is not often used to describe these guns!).. these are inexpensive plinkers that are surprisingly reliable and fun to shoot. They are complicated somewhat by multiple safeties, and there is that frame-cracking issue, but the gun will usually still run fine and safely even after that frame cracks. When it does, Phoenix typically seems to find it's easier to simply send you a new gun (sometimes even with a spare magazine; not sending your magazine can help assure this.)

I bought mine on a whim a few years ago, and don't regret it a bit.

Kiln
March 29, 2013, 11:33 PM
Yeah they're alright and can be lots of fun. Only thing I'm wondering about in this thread is why it's posted in the revolver section.

j1
March 30, 2013, 07:59 AM
Gentlemen thanks to one and all for your answers. I learned things which are good to know. I like this board.

AJumbo
March 30, 2013, 07:28 PM
My dad bought one for my stepmom, and it just wouldn't feed more than two rounds without a stoppage. Dad turned it over to a gunsmith who worked it over, polished the feed ramp (waste of time), polished the frame rails (more wasted time), and pronounced it DOA (he took Dad's money anyway, of course.)

I was looking at the pistol a few days later and noticed that one of the magazine's feed lips was bent inward, ever so slightly. I used my Gerber Multi-plier to bend the lip out until it resembled the other one, then took it out to our local dirtbank. It burned through three boxes of ammo, as has never missed a beat since then. I would consider carrying it if something larger was out of the question.

I guess the moral is that we shouldn't be too quick to judge these "tackle box guns" before we actually fire them.

Liberty1776
March 30, 2013, 09:33 PM
I really liked mine - it fit my hand well and had virtually no perceived recoil to me. It fed well and shot well and I'd like another but with the long bbl.

j1
March 31, 2013, 09:44 AM
Reading this I should try mine shooting HP ammo.:)K

j1
March 31, 2013, 01:54 PM
Liberty I too looked at the long barrel, but find the smallness and being able to drop the pistol in my jeans front pocket too nice to lose.

Just tried HP and my gun does not like it too much."

That HP was cheap bulk pack Federal.

I have used Remington 50 round boxes of Thunderbolt and it performed perfectly with no problems.

Kiln
March 31, 2013, 08:10 PM
Try some CCI hollow points if you can find them, they're extremely reliable in my HP22a. Many .22lr pistols will choke on one type of ammo and run great with another so some experimentation is key.

351 WINCHESTER
March 31, 2013, 08:13 PM
I was told by the mfg. to limit hv ammo as the lady told me it was hard on the firing pins? For cheap you can have an accurate, relaible pistol with a safety that defies all logic and common sence.

j1
April 1, 2013, 09:47 AM
351 is correct as I saw something on you tube which said the same thing. No HV reccomended in the Phoenix.

Kiln
April 1, 2013, 11:54 PM
A little secret, it doesn't matter. The frame will fail at some point regardless. I shot exclusively standard velocity out of my HP22 and the frame still failed. Then I shot over 1k rounds of high velocity through it after the frame cracked with no ill results.

While I wouldn't consider it for constant use, high velocity is fine for defensive use.

If you enjoyed reading about "phoenix" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!