Double Trade Firearm Evolution

PDA

460Kodiak
March 29, 2013, 10:16 AM
I just relayed this story on another thread.

Several years ago I decided I wanted an AR. I went to a gun show, had done little reasearch, and bought a 24" DPMS Panther Bull Special in a quick decision. I immediately regreted the snap decision financially, and the buyer's remorse set in. :uhoh: It had a heavy bull 24" bbl and weighed about 12 lbs when loaded. It was accurate as all get out, but I later realized that I enjoyed short and mid range shooting. So then not only did I have buyer's remorse, I had buyer's regret for purchasing a gun I didn't care about. :banghead:

The funny thing is that I traded it for a Bond Arms Derringer and $325. I thought the Derringer would be nice for summer carry. Hmmm, limited ammo and excessive weight. Great plan!!!! So I traded that towards an XDs. Now I'm happy. :D Quite the evolution of a firearm no? Rifle to cash and a novelty to my EDC

So, who has had an evolution of a firearm happen? I think most firearms enthusiasts and collectors have traded a gun before or sold one and put the money into another gun, but who has traded or sold a gun for another, and later traded that gun for another again?

So we're talking a minimum of 2 gun changes to reach a final item you own. You may still be thinking about trading that one off too. Who has the record of number of transactions to get to a final product?

If you enjoyed reading about "Double Trade Firearm Evolution" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TrickyDick
March 29, 2013, 10:19 AM
Bought a 12GA single shot for $60, traded it at a gun show for an AR lower. now i have built an AR since then. I'm happy.

Speedster00
March 29, 2013, 10:25 AM
Something similar where now I look back and think I got hosed...

The very first gun I bought myself was a used Beretta 92FS with a match grade barrel ($350). Then I picked up a Beretta tomcat 32 for carry( cant remember what I paid)...I ended up selling both of them to a friend for the smokin price of $350. Granted this was nearly 10 years ago but still...I took that money and bought a Keltec P3AT right when the parkerized version came out with extended mag, etc for about $300 drive out. HATED the DOA crappy trigger....sold it for $250 a month later....Then Had to add $150 more to it an bought my first XD which was a stainless 40 cal. ...

So my evolution back when guns were more affordable and available. Thing is, I just picked up a new Beretta 92F for my dad and it was $699 I believe...Wow have things changed. I never should have sold that 92FS I had.

bannockburn
March 29, 2013, 11:14 AM
One of my first guns I had was a Colt Tropper Mk.III. Great gun but soon I had developed an interest in semi-autos. Didn't have a lot of extra income in those days so I traded the Colt in on a Beretta Model 84. Another great gun, especially in a home defense situation, but it was a little too big for concealed carry and so-so accuracy didn't make for a great range toy either.

Then sometime later I came across a LNIB S&W Model 58; again I didn't have enough cash to pay for it all so I traded the Beretta in to cover the difference. Eventually I got a hankering for another semi-auto and traded the Model 58 for a Benelli B-76. This was one fascinating and very accurate gun (though somewhat overly-complex for a single stack 9mm.). I had that one till I sold it to a friend of mine who had really taken a fancy to it.

So from an evolutionary standpoint I went: cash-revolver-pistol-revolver-pistol-cash.

silicosys4
March 29, 2013, 12:56 PM
a while ago I traded a Tanfoglio ta-90 hi-power clone for a mak-90,
then traded that mak-90 as part of a package deal for an ar-15.

buck460XVR
March 29, 2013, 01:05 PM
Back in the seventies I bought a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 mag. It beat the 'ell outta me so it got traded for a new Winchester 12 ga. auto shotgun. A year or two later that got traded for an Ithaca Featherweight 20 ga..........which I kept and subsequently handed down to my oldest son.

If you enjoyed reading about "Double Trade Firearm Evolution" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!