found some shells...

PDA

area51
March 30, 2013, 06:12 PM
Are these 12g shells reloadable ?

If you enjoyed reading about "found some shells..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Matt Dillon
March 30, 2013, 06:35 PM
What are they?

Bill4282
March 30, 2013, 06:38 PM
???

ReloaderFred
March 30, 2013, 06:49 PM
I toss them. You'd be better served with Remington green or black target/field hulls. They load just like AA's.

Hope this helps.

Fred

area51
March 30, 2013, 06:53 PM
I toss them. You'd be better served with Remington green or black target/field hulls. They load just like AA's.

These are the Winchesters AA 7 1/2 shot. I thought only the brass base ones can be reloaded correct ?

Ifishsum
March 30, 2013, 07:26 PM
Those might be Winchester, but they don't look like AAs to me. AAs are not ribbed plastic, they are smooth. To be sure you'd need to section one and see how the base wad is made, then find a recipe that matches. Personally I would not mess with them unless I could find nothing else.

Magnum Shooter
March 30, 2013, 07:34 PM
I could be mistaken but they look like Federal to me, I have never seen a ribbed Winchester AA.

rcmodel
March 30, 2013, 07:36 PM
Certainly not Win AA compression formed hulls.

What does it say on the head-stamp??

rc

gpb
March 30, 2013, 07:43 PM
Since this seems to be guess that shell.

I'll guess Winchester Universal.

If it's a Winchester Universal it's not worth the effort to reload. Get some Remingtons.

ReloaderFred
March 30, 2013, 08:40 PM
No, They're not AA's. They're Universals, and probably made in France for Winchester. I've seen them come out of the factory box all mangled up and unshootable. The plastic is super thin and the card wad base is crappy. Save yourself some problems and dump them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

oneounceload
March 30, 2013, 08:46 PM
ANY hull can be reloaded at least once - but those are really not worth the trouble

Blackrock
March 30, 2013, 08:47 PM
Yup, Winchester Universals. Not worth trying to reload. Even Remington Gun Clubs would work better.

oneounceload
March 30, 2013, 09:13 PM
Remington Gun Clubs are some of the BEST hulls for reloading - I reload over 10,000 rounds a year and they are all Gun Clubs

rsrocket1
March 30, 2013, 09:40 PM
Those ARE Winchester Universal hulls. Yes they are reloadable using AA Hull data, but the plastic is about as thin as they come. Winchester does not recommend reloading them, but some do it regularly and I've done it myself.

From a safety standpoint, they are fine.
From a useful standpoint, the thin plastic walls don't hold a crimp very well and may "tent" on you after a few days spilling out shot. If you can find Remington Gun Club, STS, Nitro, or Black hulls, they are much better to reload and all use the same data.

In fact, I just cut open a box full of my old reloads with Universal hulls this morning to reclaim the powder, primer, shot and wad. The hulls were starting to leak shot and the whole mess just wasn't worth trying to fix.

45lcshooter
March 30, 2013, 10:05 PM
Not the best to reload with, get some AA, that's what all the trap guys and skeet guys flock over. They leave the Remington's lay and rust and away.

rsrocket1
March 30, 2013, 11:15 PM
Not the best to reload with, get some AA, that's what all the trap guys and skeet guys flock over. They leave the Remington's lay and rust and away.

Really, I'd be there in a New York minute. I love Remingtons. I'd like the AA's but very few people leave those behind. I guess all the "pro" shooters reload their AA's and if they go to the trouble buying those expensive shells, they'd keep their empties. Truth is, the Gun Clubs are as cheap as the Universals and Federal Top Guns, but the hulls are as good as the STS's or Nitro's.

There are posts on another site where some people reload them 13-15 times. For me, once the tops split or if the mouths get too "crispy", I toss them.

gamestalker
March 31, 2013, 03:52 AM
Those appear to be Win. Universal hulls, which gave me nothing but grief in all of our 870's when fired as new loaded factory shells. They wouldn't extract from the chamber without being pushed out from the muzzle. All of the powder charges in every single one was one very solid clump.

Anyway, to get back to your question, the base seemed to be aluminum, and not ideal for reloading. After resizing them I found that the primer pockets had expanded too much to be re-primed. But I suppose that could have been caused by the suspected high pressures resulting from the clumped powder charges, or possibly because they may have been aluminum bases? All other aspects seemed to be similar to an AA hull.

GS

ReloaderFred
March 31, 2013, 12:18 PM
After resizing them I found that the primer pockets had expanded too much to be re-primed. But I suppose that could have been caused by the suspected high pressures resulting from the clumped powder charges, or possibly because they may have been aluminum bases?

The enlarged primer pockets are due to the fact that they were originally loaded with the European metric equivalent to the Winchester 209 primers. They are probably either Fiocchi or Cheddite primers, since the boxes I looked at said they were made in France. Whenever I load hulls with either of those primers, there is just enough difference in diameter between Metric and English measurements for those primers that the use of U.S. primers is forever precluded with those hulls.

I doubt it has anything to do with pressure, just the size of the primers.

I didn't touch a magnet to any of the Universal bases to see if they were steel or aluminum, but my guess is they are steel, since the cost factor is less with steel. I'll have to check one the next time it ends up in my shell bag.

Hope this helps.

Fred

If you enjoyed reading about "found some shells..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!