Rock Chucker Special 5

PDA

fiveredapples
March 30, 2013, 08:13 PM
Hey guys, I just picked up an RCBS Rock Chucker Special 5 on a whim, but now I can't find too much information about it.

I plan on loading mostly .40 S&W and 9mm, but maybe I'll do some rifle ammo in a few years.

Your experience with or knowledge of this press would be highly appreciated. Advice, suggestions, etc. -- all welcome.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock Chucker Special 5" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneounceload
March 30, 2013, 08:44 PM
Do you have the RockChucker or the Special press?

The RC has more leverage - I have the Jr. press and have used it for over 35 years. Large rifle cases can be a little tougher to resize, but as long as it is securely bolted, it will do the job. For handgun, there aren't any issues

fiveredapples
March 30, 2013, 09:04 PM
Oh hey, thanks. Sorry for the confusion. I have the Special 5.

41wheelgun
March 30, 2013, 11:48 PM
What information are you looking for. It's just a single stage press and a good one. Just get the rest of your equipment and start loading. And do'nt forget a good load book. I suggest Nosler #6 if you can find one, I do not own Nosler's #7 but looked at one at a lgs and I liked the layout of the maunal.

41wheelgun
March 30, 2013, 11:53 PM
Also the frame is aluminum and could upgrad to the optional Piggy-back II conversion unit.

dsm
March 31, 2013, 12:06 AM
I've had one since 1990. Still works great...will load what you are looking to load just fine.

fiveredapples
March 31, 2013, 12:35 AM
Thanks fellas,

I bought it thinking it was a rock chucker, because I'm a noob, but then only afterwards realized it was a special 5, so I ran here for info -- and maybe to feel not so bad about the mistake after getting some decent feedback on it. Although now I think I slightly overpaid for it. Oh well, a few bucks won't torment me.

I think it will serve me just fine. This is the additional equipment I'm thinking of picking up.

1) Lee carbide dies for .40 S&W and (later on) for 9mm
2) RCBS 505 scale (because money is super tight) or 10-10 (if I magically find a great deal)
3) Hornady Powder Dispenser (I hear they're very accurate and repeatable). I'm thinking I'll need some kind of adapter, but not sure
4) Bullet puller, deburring and chamferring tools, and is there anything else?

I have calipers and storage stuff. I haven't decided on powder, primers, or bullets yet. I have Lee's "Reloading Manual", the latest edition and a specific recipe book for .40 S&W. I'll probably pick up Speer's or Lyman's or Nosler's reloading book too. And I'm thinking of decapping and priming manually, but not settled on that yet.

dsm
March 31, 2013, 12:42 AM
Sounds like you are on the right track. The 505 is a great scale, can't go wrong. As for a decapping die, many manufacturers out there...I use a Sinclair one. Works very well. Priming wise, can't go wrong with a Lee or RCBS hand prime tool. I have a Lee that is over 20 years old and working fine.

Magnum Shooter
March 31, 2013, 03:46 AM
I would consider Dillonís Eliminator Scale, every bit as good as RCBS 5-0-5 scale for a better price.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25215/catid/7/Dillon__039_s___039_Eliminator__039__Scale

gamestalker
March 31, 2013, 04:03 AM
I have a RS1 that has served me well for about 25 or so years, and it's still going strong. Even though it is aluminum, it has stood the test of time and lots of bottle necks. Lube and clean it when you feel the ram starting to drag through the frame. Not doing so might produce an abrasive wear syndrome on the aluminum frame to ram bearing surfaces. But other than that, it is a pretty good press, not as durable as the Rock Chucker, but certainly worth the money.

GS

fiveredapples
March 31, 2013, 05:50 AM
Thanks again gentlemen,

I hadn't heard of the Dillon Eliminator Scale. The reviews at Cabela's are outstanding, so I will probably get that unless an RCBS 505 jumps in my lap for around $50.

I'm glad to be hearing of the longevity of the RS5. Since I'll be reloading pistol ammo for the foreseeable future, I doubt the aluminum press is going to be a handicap.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rock Chucker Special 5" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!