M1 Garand Supply?

PDA

The_Next_Generation
March 30, 2013, 10:51 PM
So I was considering getting a Ruger SR1911 or a Remington R1, but the nostalgia and pure-awesomeness of the M1 Garand has really caught my eye. Looking at the CMP website, it seems the only models currently available in the Field and Service grade categories are made by H&R.

I've read a couple times online that the H&R versions are pretty nice, and are the preferred manufacturer by some shooters.

So how many of these beauties are left? Fun-money is tight, and I can only afford either a Garand or a 1911 at this point. If I wait a year to buy one will there be any left?

Also, should I go with Field or Service grade? This will be a gun for the range but I want it to be relatively presentable. Is it worth the extra $100 for the service grade?

Thanks,
- TNG

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand Supply?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rondog
March 30, 2013, 10:58 PM
Nobody can tell you "how many are left". But even I can tell you that they're selling faster than they can ship them, and nobody's making any more of them. Get one now while you still can, 1911's from a couple dozen different makers will be around for years. M1 Carbines have been gone for a couple of years, you have to get those from private sellers and the occasional gun store find. Prices on those can be out of sight.

If you WANT a Garand, GET a Garand. You can always get a 1911 later, those will never go away. And get as much M2 ball ammo as you can too, that stuff won't last much longer either. "Surplus" means "leftovers", and leftovers.....when they're gone, they're gone.

bernie
March 30, 2013, 11:09 PM
Get the M1 Rifle. Get it NOW. I personally like the H&R rifles, they are solidly built and some of the Service Grades look almost new. I would personally go ahead and spend the $100 extra and get the service grade. However, the field grades do make for good tinkering and upgrading. While you are ordering, go ahead and get you some of the HXP ammo at the same time.

Be warned, I bought my first M1 about 20 years ago and have been buying and selling them ever since. They are like Lays potato chips, you cannot have just one.

Have you ordered the rifle yet? If not, do so now!

Welding Rod
March 30, 2013, 11:21 PM
I recommend you buy the highest grade M1 you can afford. Some buy the worn out guns for their historical interest, but if you plan to shoot it like any other gun, no sense in getting one that is already partially or substantially worn out already. Particulary if you are more of a shooter and less of a collector and tinkerer.

Now are good old days. Buy it now. People were saying this over and over about ARs, mags, and ammo just months ago, and it seems many failed to listen.

We have been saying this about Garands for some time too. I would not wait.

TxBobS
March 31, 2013, 12:38 AM
Service grades are pretty nice right now. Many are coming with new wood and measuring 1/1 or 1/2.

Hacker15E
March 31, 2013, 07:43 AM
You will be able to buy a Remington or Ruger 1911 very easily for many years into the future.

There are only a couple years (or less) of CMP Garands left -- forever.

Sounds like a pretty simple decision.

Fishbed77
March 31, 2013, 11:02 AM
Service grades are pretty nice right now. Many are coming with new wood and measuring 1/1 or 1/2.

Yep - my SG Springfield came with beautiful CMP black walnut and measured 0/1.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Fishbed77/DSC_0122.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Fishbed77/DSC_0050.jpg

elwoodm
March 31, 2013, 12:23 PM
just got mine 2 weeks ago. no springfields or field grades left only H&R service grades. wait time is like 2 months so jump on it now. good luck.

SFCRandall
March 31, 2013, 02:57 PM
Latest Email from CMP says they are currently trying to fill 12,000 orders for Garands. Get your order in now for a service grade H&R. You won't be disappointed. The H&R's were some of the last ones manufactured and many buyers report very good to excellent condition on the ones they recieve. Check out the forum on the CMP website for feedback on the latest rifles being shipped. They are great fun at the range and draw lots of attention from other shooters. Sales for the surplus HXP ammo are limited to ten boxes (2000 rds) a year per member but the prices are the best you'll find anywhere.

Captains1911
March 31, 2013, 03:29 PM
I'm in the same boat, I've been wanting a CMP Garand for some time now. It's tempting to jump on an H&R service grade now, but part of me says wait for the SA to come back.

cfullgraf
March 31, 2013, 03:40 PM
t for the SA to come back.

Don't wait, besides, Garands are like lays potato chips. Nobody can have just one.

cfullgraf
March 31, 2013, 03:48 PM
M1 Carbines have been gone for a couple of years, you have to get those from private sellers and the occasional gun store find. Prices on those can be out of sight.

Yes, USGI carbines have been sold out at CMP for a number of years.

But, the Auto Ordinance carbine is a fair replica. Of course, the purists will not agree.

Commercial Garands were made at one time but they were generally made from surplus parts and a new receiver. A market might return for them in the future but in these days and times, cost to manufacture them would be high.

rodregier
March 31, 2013, 04:39 PM
Don't wait, order a Garand now if you *ever* want one. Other posters make an excellent point, lots of current mfgr for 1911 pattern.

hang fire
March 31, 2013, 04:58 PM
So I was considering getting a Ruger SR1911 or a Remington R1, but the nostalgia and pure-awesomeness of the M1 Garand has really caught my eye. Looking at the CMP website, it seems the only models currently available in the Field and Service grade categories are made by H&R.

I've read a couple times online that the H&R versions are pretty nice, and are the preferred manufacturer by some shooters.

So how many of these beauties are left? Fun-money is tight, and I can only afford either a Garand or a 1911 at this point. If I wait a year to buy one will there be any left?

Also, should I go with Field or Service grade? This will be a gun for the range but I want it to be relatively presentable. Is it worth the extra $100 for the service grade?

Thanks,
- TNG
There will always be 1911 pistols readily available, M1 Garands, not so much

Captains1911
March 31, 2013, 05:09 PM
Don't wait, order a Garand now if you *ever* want one. Other posters make an excellent point, lots of current mfgr for 1911 pattern.
Panic panic panic. No thanks.

The_Next_Generation
March 31, 2013, 07:31 PM
I think I'll go ahead and order one (actually, since I am a student in Atlanta I may as well just drive the 1.5 hours to their store in AL and pick one out myself!) and put the pistol idea on hold.

Fishbed77, DANG you got lucky!! I guess they mean it when they say its a $600 grab-bag! How does she shoot? When did you order it?

NeuseRvrRat
March 31, 2013, 07:39 PM
Panic panic panic. No thanks.

it's no secret that CMP will run out of Garands in a couple years

The_Next_Generation
March 31, 2013, 07:42 PM
Forgot to mention that I'll be selling my 1979 Marlin 336 in 35 Remington to fun this purchase. And, in case ya'll happen to be looking for such a rifle and want to get me closer to this Garand, here is my listing :D

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8843889#post8843889

Captains1911
March 31, 2013, 07:51 PM
it's no secret that CMP will run out of Garands in a couple years
It's also no secret they've been swamped in the last couple of months, and that there will likeky be more SA available once they have caught up.

NeuseRvrRat
March 31, 2013, 07:53 PM
so if you want a SA, wait. if you don't mind an H&R, go ahead and place your order. they'll get to it eventually.

P5 Guy
March 31, 2013, 08:11 PM
Please remember that there were only a few thousand over six million made. Of all four manufacturers those made in Springfield are the most numerous followed by Winchester for WWII, Harrington and Richardson and International Harvester are mostly all from after the Korean Conflict. All production stopped when the M14 became the Service Rifle for the Armed Forces around 1958.
How many were destroyed, loaned or sold? Get one if you want before they are all gone. The Clinton Administration was stopped from destroying M1s and there is no telling if the Obama Administration will decide to start up Captain Crunch again.

cyclopsshooter
March 31, 2013, 08:39 PM
Waited for years and jumped in heavy a month ago- ordered 6 service and 6 field grade.

Fishbed77
March 31, 2013, 09:20 PM
Fishbed77, DANG you got lucky!! I guess they mean it when they say its a $600 grab-bag! How does she shoot? When did you order it?

I don't really believe in luck, but I did include a post-it requesting a WW2 serial and a walnut stock (along with a small donation to the CMP to grease the wheels :) ). It never hurts to ask! She shoots great, of course!

I ordered it back in May of 2012 and it arrived in just under a month.

Springfield Armory Service Grades are not currently available via mail order. No telling if they will be available again, but the H&R rifles are fantastic as well.

bigdogpete
March 31, 2013, 10:16 PM
I don't really believe in luck, but I did include a post-it requesting a WW2 serial and a walnut stock (along with a small donation to the CMP to grease the wheels :) ). It never hurts to ask! She shoots great, of course!

I ordered it back in May of 2012 and it arrived in just under a month.

Springfield Armory Service Grades are not currently available via mail order. No telling if they will be available again, but the H&R rifles are fantastic as well.
Fishbed,
She looks more like a special. You did good. My SG's look good but not quite this good.

The_Next_Generation
March 31, 2013, 11:33 PM
WOW,cyclopsshooter! 12 Garands?! :what:

Just how many lawns do you have to kick people off of? :evil:

KingMedicine
March 31, 2013, 11:38 PM
M1 garand. Nuff said.

bigdogpete
April 1, 2013, 12:02 AM
[QUOTE=The_Next_Generation;8842395]

Not sure if you questions were all being address. I will give it a try.

If your just looking for a Garand to shoot and enjoy a little bit of history, then go with the HRA, now. What will you gain by waiting? I have SA's and HRA's from CMP and they all shoot and look great. What is a big plus ordering from CMP is they have great customer service and the gun has been gone through.

My experience is not as great as some others but have found field grades ordered online can be a hit or miss on quality but my SG's have all been very good quality with low muzzle and throat measures.

Finally, yes the $100 extra to get a SG is worth it. My SG special is nice, also, but not that much better than my SG's.

Just my humble opinion.

cfullgraf
April 1, 2013, 12:46 AM
I think I'll go ahead and order one (actually, since I am a student in Atlanta I may as well just drive the 1.5 hours to their store in AL and pick one out myself!) and put the pistol idea on hold.

If you go to the South Store, Leon is great for help. Any of the armorers are helpful in helping you inspect the innards of the Garand you choose.

be careful, Garands are like Lays potato chips. i have never left the South Store with just one rifle.:)

Going to the store is an interesting and fun experience. Go with most of our paper work filled out except for the actual order form. The same paper work will be required as if you were to mail order the rifle. I believe they can notarize the necessary forms there if you can't do that in advance.

Turn in the paper work when you get there and the nice ladies will be working on that stuff while you are shopping. It will make the final process go quicker.

If you can wait a few days, you can avoid the Alabama sales tax by having the rifle shipped. The shipping is less than the tax. if you buy ammunition, the sales tax is less than the shipping. so, play that game.

Good luck and have an enjoyable day at the South Store.

RCArms.com
April 1, 2013, 12:50 AM
WOW,cyclopsshooter! 12 Garands?! :what:

Just how many lawns do you have to kick people off of? :evil:
12 Garands is just the start of a good collection.

I've been slimming my collection of M1 Rifles down over the past couple years to a more manageable level.

The_Next_Generation
April 1, 2013, 01:01 AM
Maybe I shouldn't get one...I don't want to have to pay for rehab for my addiction.

RCArms, just how many (roughly, if you don't mind me asking) do you have in your stash?

monotonous_iterancy
April 1, 2013, 01:22 AM
If one were to order one, would it be better to request a Walnut stock, or would birch or beech be fine?

cyclopsshooter
April 1, 2013, 01:59 AM
WOW,cyclopsshooter! 12 Garands?!

Just how many lawns do you have to kick people off of?

12 Garands is just the start of a good collection.

Exactly. I'm gonna cherry pick a couple for myself and use the rest as trading stock- there are lots of good folks who want these rifles.

shafter
April 1, 2013, 01:40 PM
My order just hit the estore today, hoping for tomorrow or Wednesday delivery. Got a couple of FGs coming. Can't wait!!

bigdogpete
April 1, 2013, 07:59 PM
If one were to order one, would it be better to request a Walnut stock, or would birch or beech be fine?
You can request GI wood but most SG's come with new birch. I have not heard of many new walnut stocks on SG's like Fishbed received. Specials, yes, but not SG's. I have only had one request for GI wood filled. I just depend on what they have at the time. I am sure many will try to get good GI wood.

Going to the South Store isn't much of an option for many of us. So, we have to go the online route. If you live close to one of the stores. That is obviously the best choice.

NeuseRvrRat
April 1, 2013, 08:42 PM
if i'd known they had started putting the orange birch stocks on the service grades, then i would've spent the extra money for a special.

Fishbed77
April 1, 2013, 09:54 PM
I have not heard of many new walnut stocks on SG's like Fishbed received. Specials, yes, but not SG's

Apparently, it was fairly common for SG rifles to come with new CMP walnut over the summer of 2012. There were quite a few posted at the CMP forums. Not sure about now, though.

bigdogpete
April 1, 2013, 10:56 PM
Apparently, it was fairly common for SG rifles to come with new CMP walnut over the summer of 2012. There were quite a few posted at the CMP forums. Not sure about now, though.
I would be willing to swap you a beautiful orange birch stock for that ugly walnut thing you got.

bigdogpete
April 1, 2013, 11:01 PM
if i'd known they had started putting the orange birch stocks on the service grades, then i would've spent the extra money for a special.
I did transform one birch stock.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3707/m1newfinish.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9264/m1newfinish2.jpg

NeuseRvrRat
April 2, 2013, 08:18 AM
That's a little better

Fishbed77
April 2, 2013, 03:32 PM
I would be willing to swap you a beautiful orange birch stock for that ugly walnut thing you got.

Naw. I wouldn't want to feel like I'm taking advantage of you. :cool:

bigdogpete
April 2, 2013, 09:05 PM
That's a little better
Agreed, better but not walnut.

Onmilo
April 2, 2013, 09:42 PM
I have 5 M1 Garands right now.
At one time I had about 20 of the rifles, sold most off, kept the best of the best.
There is a finite amount of M1 rifles left in the world, when they do dry up you won't see them very often and they will be expensive when you do.
Now is the time if you don't have one and you do want one...

UKWildcats
April 2, 2013, 10:01 PM
From an email I received from CMP neither store has garands in stock except for special grade due to the backlog of orders - call before making a trip.

UK

The_Next_Generation
April 2, 2013, 10:15 PM
Good tip UK, thanks.

Orlando
April 3, 2013, 08:15 AM
Regular Service Grades have been shipping with commercial Walnut lately

UKWildcats
April 3, 2013, 08:41 AM
Should of posted this last night -- from 18 March 13 EMail from CMP

RIFLES: The CMP currently has over 12,000 unfilled orders for rifles, ammo and other items. We also still have thousands of M1 Garands. These rifles all require inspection and repair and grading before being put up for sale. At times the customer demand exceeds the amount that our staff can make ready for sale. This is the case now with the field and service grade M1 Garand rifles. As the CMP armory produces the rifles, they are all being used to fill existing mail orders, some from as far back as the beginning of January. Until we catch up on mail orders, there will not be any field or service grade rifles in the stores at Anniston or Camp Perry. For now, we only have the M1 Service Grade Special ($950), M1 CMP Special ($995), M1C, M1D, M1NM, and Kimber model .82 (.22LR) in stock at both stores. We expect this to continue until late June.

I placed an order in mid January -- H&R Service Grade -- My assumption is that I will get it in April, so about 3 months for delivery now. The delivery time will be different on what type of rifle you order thought.

UK

Captains1911
April 3, 2013, 11:21 AM
Regular Service Grades have been shipping with commercial Walnut lately
So that's a new production stock, correct?

Orlando
April 3, 2013, 01:30 PM
Yes new commercial/Boyds/Dupage stock stamped CMP. You may still end up with a Birch stock but most of the commecrcial stocks on Service Grades are now Walnut
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=82319

Captains1911
April 3, 2013, 02:30 PM
I went ahead and placed an order today for an HRA service grade. I included a sticky note asking for a walnut stock if possible, hopefully I'll get it. I also included a small donation. I do want a SA Garand still, hopefully this one will hold me over in the meantime.

ali9cg8
April 3, 2013, 09:29 PM
Okay, most of us will never win the real lottery (anyone?), but plenty of us have won the gun lottery. Learn as much as you can- manufacturers- serial numbers- which numbers are correct for this trigger group, ect. There are people who are looking to unload service rifles that have no idea what they had.

Opportunity found me at an estate sale in Virgina. An SA first batch serial number receiver (*which was glass bedded), correct trigger group, and I was in heaven. I knew the basics of the M1, but floored to find out that this was a National Match. The very low serial number wasn't typically used unless.....blah, blah. Won't give you the boring details. The point is: DON'T GIVE UP. Think outside the box. Auctions, estate sales, and I've even gotten some great leads from my gunsmith. The Garand is a rifle you will have forever and it is a true privilege and honor to own such a unique piece of history.

Welding Rod
April 3, 2013, 11:15 PM
I have been very pleased with the fit of the commercial walnut stocks cmp has been providing lately.

NeuseRvrRat
April 4, 2013, 05:37 PM
Yes new commercial/Boyds/Dupage stock stamped CMP. You may still end up with a Birch stock but most of the commecrcial stocks on Service Grades are now Walnut
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=82319

that answer from Orest was back in August before this craziness. from what i'm seeing in new posts on the CMP forums, the pumpkin stocks are becoming popular again. i'd venture to guess that CMP is grabbing whatever stocks they can to hurry up and get rifles out and try to keep up with demand.

Captains1911
April 4, 2013, 09:59 PM
that answer from Orest was back in August before this craziness. from what i'm seeing in new posts on the CMP forums, the pumpkin stocks are becoming popular again. i'd venture to guess that CMP is grabbing whatever stocks they can to hurry up and get rifles out and try to keep up with demand.
Well that's certainly not encouraging.

NeuseRvrRat
April 5, 2013, 12:53 PM
the orange stocks are of good quality

they're just ugly is all

Captains1911
April 5, 2013, 12:55 PM
I would like mine to look as original as possible, and those orange stocks don't work.

shafter
April 5, 2013, 01:41 PM
My Springfield field grades arrived the other morning. One has a July 1942 serial number and the other is Korea War vintage. Both had very good GI wood but the muzzle and throat measurements were a bit higher than I was hoping for. I'll take them to the range when my ammo arrives. As long as they shoot well that's all I care about. The WWII rifle had a small oil can under the butt plate. I thought that was pretty cool.

I'm fighting the urge to order a couple of service grades...

NeuseRvrRat
April 5, 2013, 01:44 PM
i'd pay a little extra and get the special grade. new barrel, no pumpkin wood.

Orlando
April 5, 2013, 05:22 PM
birch stocks can be stained

NeuseRvrRat
April 5, 2013, 08:07 PM
but they'll never look as good as the walnut

Orlando
April 5, 2013, 08:23 PM
If you know what you are doing you can

NeuseRvrRat
April 5, 2013, 08:25 PM
pics please

Captains1911
April 5, 2013, 08:35 PM
If I get an ugly pumpkin wood stick I'll just sell it and buy a walnut, they seem to be plentiful.

Orlando
April 5, 2013, 08:37 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/Stocks/Picture660.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/Stocks/Picture661.jpg

NeuseRvrRat
April 5, 2013, 08:37 PM
If I get an ugly pumpkin wood stick I'll just sell it and buy a walnut, they seem to be plentiful.

i wouldn't count on finding a buyer for it

orlando, that does look nice. i'd still prefer the american walnut with a nice oil finish, but that's not bad. care to share your method? i've gotta do something with mine.

Orlando
April 5, 2013, 08:45 PM
Birch stockset just sold today on CMP's private sales section for $118 which isnt bad especially when you can buy the same stock CMP sells without the fugly CMP stamp on it in walnut from Dupage Trading for $100 stripped with no finish and a finished walnut for $110
A no brainer

NeuseRvrRat
April 5, 2013, 08:52 PM
a sucker's born every minute, i guess

Captains1911
April 5, 2013, 09:46 PM
Birch stockset just sold today on CMP's private sales section for $118 which isnt bad especially when you can buy the same stock CMP sells without the fugly CMP stamp on it in walnut from Dupage Trading for $100 stripped with no finish and a finished walnut for $110
A no brainer
Thanks for the heads up on Dupage Trading. From the pictures on their website, the stocks don't look as dark as original GI walnut. Do they look darker in reality?

https://www.dupagetrading.com/dupagetrading/index.php/m1-stocks

hddeluxe
April 6, 2013, 01:36 AM
The Garand without a doubt.

Orlando
April 6, 2013, 08:52 AM
The stocks CMP sells are exactly the same as what Dupage sells, CMP gets them from Dupage. I like getting them from Dupage as they are cheaper and dont have a CMP stamp on them
The dark color on old surplus stocks is from years or built up dirt ,grim, oil, grease,etc
Yes new commercial stocks are lighter than old USGI Stocks

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Garand Supply?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!