What Optic for M1A?

PDA

CmdrSlander
March 31, 2013, 02:09 AM
I want a scope for an M1A which I plan to acquire. The scope needs external/target turrets and a magnification of at least 7 power. I would like an American made scope if possible, and something that was/is used on military M14s/M21s would be awesome if possible. Know of anything like that?

ETA: And try to keep it under $1000 if possible.

If you enjoyed reading about "What Optic for M1A?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Averageman
March 31, 2013, 01:45 PM
I would not worry to much about what the Military uses unless you are trying to build a replica.
In my experiance Burris builds some very high quality scope with a balistic Plex reticle that would serve your purposes very well.

Loc n Load
March 31, 2013, 04:05 PM
I have two M1A's with Mk 4 Leupold variables on them....I use the Springfield armory scope mount.....the scope mount on the M1A is the weak link.....so don't buy an inexpensive mount.....there are a number of scopes that Burris, Nikon and Leatherwood make that may be what you are looking for in the price range you indicated. I have used Leupold Mk4's and their other tactical scopes on my "serious" rifles for over 3 decades and they have served me well, although they will not be under the $1,000. mark.

Torian
March 31, 2013, 04:12 PM
I have an LRB M14 with a integrated rail built over the receiver. I opted for the Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40mm.

I wasn't going to spend more than 750.00 on an optic to include rings. With a MIL discount, this fit the requirement.

Capstick1
April 1, 2013, 08:14 AM
If you go to their website Springfield Armory makes a mount and scope specifically designed for the M1A. I have one on mine. It's called a Government Scope. It uses 30mm rings, has a built in rangefinder reticle and cant level, and is specifically calibrated for a 168gr match bullet at 2700 fps.

If you enjoyed reading about "What Optic for M1A?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!