Dura Coat Camo Trouble

PDA

blaisenguns
March 31, 2013, 01:17 PM
So I am doing an SKS in a custom camo pattern, and everything about the project went perfectly well. That is until I decided to clear coat it. On the second coat of clear the Matte Clear coat sprayed on clear, but dried with milky white spots all over half the gun. The people at LCW sent me enough to completely re-do it at no charge, but after hours of work, I really don't want to start from scratch. Does anyone have some advice on how to save my finish? I worked on sanding out the white spots, but they don't seem to want to come off. I am using 600 grit as I wanted to avoid sanding into the color.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dura Coat Camo Trouble" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blue68f100
March 31, 2013, 02:50 PM
Sounds like the solvent/recoat time was not followed. On most all paints/coatings there is a time that a coat must be applied to prevent trapping solvents. If this is what happened to you will will have to sand down to the trapped layer. Some allow a second coat after a time has passed, solvents gone. Usually require sanding to get adhesion.

blaisenguns
March 31, 2013, 02:59 PM
No, I can assure you that was not what happened. It did the same thing on my test patterns that were on plain cardboard.

natman
April 1, 2013, 08:49 AM
It did the same thing on my test patterns that were on plain cardboard.

Thumbs up for trying test patterns first.

Thumbs down for having a problem with the test patterns and going ahead and painting your gun without having resolved the problem.

"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

blaisenguns
April 1, 2013, 10:09 AM
Thumbs down for having a problem with the test patterns and going ahead and painting your gun without having resolved the problem.

The stuff sprayed on clear, and it was like a half an hour before it turned white. I sprayed my test patterns, then painted the gun and walked away. I came back later and it looked like it had snowed on everything! It was like there was something in the paint that oxidized. I cant sand the white spots out either, I tried with various grits of sand paper.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dura Coat Camo Trouble" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!