Best Firearm Movies

PDA

Anmut
April 1, 2013, 11:57 AM
At home today nursing an infected leg from an operation and Netflix had dropped off Enemy At The Gates for me to watch - a great flick featuring everyone's favorite surplus rifle, the Mosin Nagant.

Got me thinking - what are other great movies for us, the people of the gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Firearm Movies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chevelle SS
April 1, 2013, 11:59 AM
Defiance, Public Enemies, Saving Private Ryan.

blaisenguns
April 1, 2013, 12:02 PM
These are all a bit dark, but "The American" features some awesome gunsmithing scenes, "Death Sentence", and "The Punisher" (2004) have some nice hardware.

boots
April 1, 2013, 12:14 PM
How about WayOfTheGun. 1911/shotguns/old man snubbies...

Torian
April 1, 2013, 12:21 PM
HEAT has one of the best shootouts I've seen in any movie to date. You can tell the guys spent a lot of time training for it prior to getting it filmed (Pacino, DeNiro, Kilmer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrioYLx-7Cs

Another is a foreign movie, probably not as well known, is "The Man From Nowhere". Great shoot out that ends in a knife fight to rival all others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7Wxb09oGU

Here's the training they did to prep for the shootout in HEAT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW0yebyGk-8

gym
April 1, 2013, 12:29 PM
Way of the gun, I always liked, it's a classic gun movie. , "fast five" was also pretty cool, along with zero dark 30.

Anmut
April 1, 2013, 12:43 PM
HEAT - excellent shoot out in the streets!

Black Hawk Down is another movie with great firefight scenes.

morcey2
April 1, 2013, 12:49 PM
"Enemy At The Gates"

'Cause it has that kewl left-handed Mosin PU Sniper Rifle. :banghead:

And one of the Sherlock Holmes movies has a 1888 Commission rifle in it.

bergmen
April 1, 2013, 12:53 PM
Winchester 73 with James Stewart.

Dan

.40isthenew.45
April 1, 2013, 12:58 PM
Not that I have ever chosen a movie based on it containing a specific firearm....

But if you wanted to, you can to to http://www.imfdb.org and search on the weapon of choice and get a list of movies it appears in and often which actor/character used it.

josiewales
April 1, 2013, 01:08 PM
Gods and Generals
Gettysburg
Winchester 73
The Magnificent 7
The Great Escape

blaisenguns
April 1, 2013, 01:15 PM
+1 on the great escape. A few more, "Death Hunt", "Quigley Down Under", "The Mummy" (1999), "Lord of War" and "The Ghost and The Darkness"

SleazyRider
April 1, 2013, 01:48 PM
Sorry, folks, but nothing comes close to Open Range.

Yankee John
April 1, 2013, 01:48 PM
'Last Man Standing' with Bruce Willis is the best 1911 movie of all time!

John

Derry 1946
April 1, 2013, 01:49 PM
Johnny Dollar's recommendations are all good and will keep you busy for quite a while. I'll add Shane and The Narrow Margin. Other good ones (don't remember if Johnny mentioned them) are True Grit and Rio Bravo (both with John Wayne). For shooting, Unforgiven is good.

RFMan
April 1, 2013, 01:54 PM
Quigley Down Under

SabbathWolf
April 1, 2013, 02:01 PM
Tears of the Sun
Band of Brothers

trailgator
April 1, 2013, 02:32 PM
The Outlaw Josey Wales

steveb4c
April 1, 2013, 02:42 PM
+1 for Outlaw Josey Wales(my all-time favorite western). Kelley's Hero's was on this weekend. my 8yr old and i watched it. love those Tommy's.

Derry 1946
April 1, 2013, 02:44 PM
Wow, Johnny Dollar sure knows movies! :-)

SilentStalker
April 1, 2013, 02:51 PM
There have already been some great recommendations but for me the movie called Shooter with Mark Wahlberg is by far one of the best sniper/gun related movies I have seen.

DeepSouth
April 1, 2013, 02:59 PM
Really this far and no "Lord of War"
Come on!!

Edit:
Missed it, post 12.
Lol

BTY: if you guys like shooter the movie, you should read the book. It's MUCH better than the movie.

freyasman
April 1, 2013, 03:03 PM
I always liked the final shootout in "Rolling Thunder" 1977, I think...

scaatylobo
April 1, 2013, 03:09 PM
Cat Balleu = NOT,jane the turd fonda is not on ANY must see list for any patriotic American.

Sorry but even with Lee Marvin [ great actor & war hero ] its a no go for me.

OTHERWISE your on the mark with very few missing,and those were pointed out by all the rest here.

I love ANY western where they do not wear the 'hollywood version' of a "cowboy"/gunfighter holster.

The Good ,The Bad & The Ugly - loved it as well as The Outlaw Josey Wales !!!!!!!!!.

Ranger Roberts
April 1, 2013, 03:12 PM
There have already been some great recommendations but for me the movie called Shooter with Mark Wahlberg is by far one of the best sniper/gun related movies I have seen.

+1 To Shooter! The book was awesome as well!

tarosean
April 1, 2013, 03:16 PM
Ronin
Boondock Saints
The Professional

TarDevil
April 1, 2013, 03:27 PM
Sorry, folks, but nothing comes close to Open Range.
If you can overlook a 16 cylinder SAA! :D

Actually, I agree with you! Fantastic movie. And I have read that Costner caught the discrepancy and wasn't happy when producers told him it was too costly to repair.

dirtykid
April 1, 2013, 03:33 PM
Only 1-vote for Boondock saints ??
C'mon the old-man with the 6-pistol leather vest ?/? Those were great action and entertaining at the same time !!

Right at the top of my list ,
Pulp Fiction
No country for old men
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk down

SleazyRider
April 1, 2013, 03:52 PM
If you can overlook a 16 cylinder SAA! :D

Yes, that would be illegal here in New York! :)

Anmut
April 1, 2013, 04:07 PM
Alright - a bunch of great movies. Which ones depict the firearms the most realistic though? Band of Brothers / Heat / ??

I love movies with guns and car chases, but Hollywood's depictions of them drives me insane!

zdc1775
April 1, 2013, 04:26 PM
21 great war movies.

All Quiet on the Western Front 1929
Paths of Glory 1957
Letters From Iwo Jima 2006
Platoon 1986
Glory 1989
Cross of Iron 1977
Apocalypse Now 1979
The Longest Day 1962
Full Metal Jacket 1987
Patton 1970
Sergeant York 1941
The Dirty Dozen 1967
Zulu 1964
Stalingrad 1993
Flags of Our Fathers 2006
Battleground 1949
Pork Chop Hill 1959
A Walk in the Sun 1945
The Manchurian Candidate 1962
The Train 1964
A Bridge Too Far 1977
All great but no "Sands of Iwo Jima" 1949? That movie inspired me to become a Marine at a very young age.

Dunkelheit
April 1, 2013, 04:36 PM
Heat
Last Man Standing
The Expendables

HadEmAll
April 1, 2013, 11:07 PM
"The Killing Jar" with Michael Madsen is a great "what would I do?" movie for us CHL/CCW types.

Torian
April 1, 2013, 11:09 PM
Someone else mentioned it, but "The Professional" was an outstanding shoot em up movie.

Rawss
April 1, 2013, 11:11 PM
Check out the new "Total Recall" they add minimal mods to current guns to make them look futuristic, it's pretty cool.

Big_John1961
April 1, 2013, 11:33 PM
Any Dirty Harry flick and a gazillion others. For the guy above, Open Range does have a great gunfight at the end.

Derry 1946
April 1, 2013, 11:51 PM
Raiders of the Lost Ark has a lot of guns and shooting, especially in Marion's bar. There are some anachronisms, but a lot of shooting.

KCAce
April 1, 2013, 11:53 PM
Not particularly noteworthy for the firearms....but one of my favorite westerns is The Big Country. Even has a fairly young Charlton Heston in it, along with Chuck Conners, Gregory Peck and Burl Ives. One of the best westerns ever made.

KCAce

Bill4282
April 1, 2013, 11:59 PM
I love the film. Both my much older brothers were Marines.One (1940-1946) fought at Guadalcanal in 1942. The other 1946-1951) fought in Korea in 1950-51. I was the Black Sheep in U.S.Army Armor.:D

I'm glad a Marine brought it to our attention. Semper Fi. :)

Required watching for my sons and me once every year.

GCBurner
April 2, 2013, 12:05 AM
VALDEZ IS COMING, with Burt Lancaster. It's hard to find, but worth a look.
The story is by Elmore Leonard, creator of "Justified."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XzacnutAwY&feature=player_embedded

hang fire
April 2, 2013, 02:33 AM
Best war movie ever; "Talvisota" about the Finnish Winter War against the Soviets in 1939-40.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn=8&gs_ri=psy-ab&pq=brother's%20keeper%20movie&cp=6&gs_id=o&xhr=t&q=talvisota&es_nrs=true&pf=p&rlz=1R2NDKB_enUS517&sclient=psy-ab&oq=talvis&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&fp=834b7faf856cca8c&biw=1152&bih=455

mrvco
April 2, 2013, 03:05 AM
HEAT has one of the best shootouts I've seen in any movie to date. You can tell the guys spent a lot of time training for it prior to getting it filmed (Pacino, DeNiro, Kilmer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrioYLx-7Cs

Another is a foreign movie, probably not as well known, is "The Man From Nowhere". Great shoot out that ends in a knife fight to rival all others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7Wxb09oGU

Here's the training they did to prep for the shootout in HEAT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW0yebyGk-8

The amazing part of the Heat production is that (as explained in the link) they realized that the blanks used in the city streets during the actual shooting (film) was better than anything the foley artists could overlay in post.

And one of my great guilty pleasures that hasn't been mentioned yet is Man On Fire.

Dirty Bob
April 2, 2013, 10:19 AM
Not all of the Duke's movies were realistic, but I love the gunfights at the end of both "Big Jake" and "The Shootist." This last one even has Wayne's aging gunfighter patiently waiting for -- and ambushing -- one of his opponents in the saloon. He also takes on two assassins (local bad boys) in the middle of the night. Great film overall with an all-star cast and plenty of closeups of guns and holsters. My favorite John Wayne movie.

Johnny Dollar: Our favorite movies seem to have A LOT of titles in common! :cool:

BTW: "The Man from Nowhere" is currently available for free viewing at IMDB.com.

All my best,
Dirty Bob

Dejavu
April 2, 2013, 11:09 AM
I really liked the 8 ga double barrel that Viggo Mortenson carried in "Appaloosa".
Also like the relationship between his character and Ed Harris' character.

Ryanxia
April 2, 2013, 11:20 AM
Most would consider it a corny movie but Tremors is one I like. And the character Burt Gummer is pretty funny/interesting. I thought he was awesome the first time I saw the movie as a kid.

J-Bar
April 2, 2013, 12:04 PM
The Wild Bunch, listed by Johnny Dollar, deserves more attention.

You gotta love cowboys using 1911s and machine guns and Winchester '97 shotguns.

And they are still talking about the "battle of bloody porch"...anyone see Justified a few weeks ago??

Shanghai McCoy
April 2, 2013, 12:21 PM
Any Firefly episode as well as the movie Serenity...

Shanghai McCoy
April 2, 2013, 12:24 PM
Yes, that would be illegal here in New York! :)
And also the the chocolate bars and cigars that Charlie and Boss had before the gunfight...:rolleyes:

cane
April 2, 2013, 01:15 PM
Don't forget "The Wind and the Lion" perhaps the best sequence is when Capt Jerome, USMC takes over Morroco with a reinforced rifle company. Remember "hostiles to the left, present, fire"? And perhaps the shortest but the most telling. Sir Joseph as his revolver goes "click".."damn".

SabbathWolf
April 2, 2013, 01:48 PM
Cat Balleu = NOT,jane the turd fonda is not on ANY must see list for any patriotic American.

Sorry but even with Lee Marvin [ great actor & war hero ] its a no go for me.

OTHERWISE your on the mark with very few missing,and those were pointed out by all the rest here.

I love ANY western where they do not wear the 'hollywood version' of a "cowboy"/gunfighter holster.

The Good ,The Bad & The Ugly - loved it as well as The Outlaw Josey Wales !!!!!!!!!.
You might really like the Lonesome Dove movie then with Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones.

Cosmoline
April 2, 2013, 02:25 PM
Talvisota is an even bigger Mosin movie than Enemy at the Gates.

And don't forget the excellent made-for-TV westerns. Crossfire Trail, The Sacketts, Conagher, Last Stand at Saber River, etc. Or the excellent "Rough Riders" TNT movie from the 90's. These are in my experience much better "gun" movies than almost anything for the big screen. Featuring some pretty unusual firearms from the actors' own collections I believe.

jhvaughan2
April 2, 2013, 02:30 PM
I hope JD won't mind, but I'd add "The Getaway - 1972" for some action with Classic Revolvers and 1911.

blaisenguns
April 2, 2013, 02:33 PM
Most would consider it a corny movie but Tremors is one I like. And the character Burt Gummer is pretty funny/interesting. I thought he was awesome the first time I saw the movie as a kid.

I love "Tremors"! Great gun movie. I always thought number 2 was better though ;). Did you know that the prop masters used the broken 8 gauge from the first one as a template to build the prop guns for "Appaloosa"?

OregonJohnny
April 2, 2013, 03:05 PM
Here are a few movies that seem to have the most realistic gun handling/shooting:

Way of the Gun
Heat
No Country For Old Men

For a TV series with A LOT of guns, check out The Walking Dead. If you are a fan of Colt Python revolvers, it should be required watching. The producers are good about things like number of rounds fired before empty, shooting in enclosed spaces being deafening, etc. Rick even pockets his spent brass each time he reloads the Python. We are 3 seasons deep now, portraying the apocalypse, and no one has broken out a reloading press yet! I would love to see that.

Quoheleth
April 2, 2013, 03:15 PM
71 Into the Fire is a great story of heroic bravery in the face of overwhelming odds. Lots of Garand action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGfOK5ZHnP4&feature=player_embedded

Q

Black Butte
April 2, 2013, 03:49 PM
There's a movie that's almost a comedy because of the ridiculous number and choreographing of its shooting scenes. It's called ... wait for it ... "Shoot 'em UP" and stars Clive Owen, Paul Giamatti, and Monica Bellucci (the hot chick from "Matrix Revolutions").

Rent it, rent it today! ... or else.

jhco
April 2, 2013, 04:29 PM
Act of Valor

J-Bar
April 2, 2013, 04:33 PM
One more..."The Good, The Bad, and The Weird"!

It's a Korean remake of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly with lots more gunplay, and quite entertaining, even with subtitles. If you like weird movies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0901487/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

TRX
April 2, 2013, 08:05 PM
I'll throw in another vote for "Ronin." Also for an underrated made-for-TV horror-thriller called "Night of the Comet," which has the best scenes of someone handling a full-auto MAC-10 that I've ever seen.

Black Butte
April 2, 2013, 08:11 PM
Pop Quiz! What movie is the following quote from?

"The old manís still an artist with a Thompson."

the iron horse
April 2, 2013, 08:22 PM
Shane

Shane: A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

Derry 1946
April 2, 2013, 08:40 PM
Rambo. Quotable quotes: "What you call hell, he calls home." "He eats things that make a billy goat puke." "You're going to need more body bags." Yeah, Richard Crenna got all the best lines.

Loosenock
April 2, 2013, 09:40 PM
Mentioned earlier the "Ghost and the Darkness". The Lee Speed loader that Val Kilmer had in the beginning of the movie is superlative...but....like a dummy he trades it off for a Farquharson that lets him down. The 'Howdah' that Michael Douglas has would be a beast to shoot.

loose

statelineblues
April 2, 2013, 09:52 PM
"55 Days At Peking" -Charlton Heston, David Niven in one of their best

"The Sand Pebbles" - M1903s, Lewis Guns, BARs, what's not to love?

JurisCani
April 2, 2013, 10:03 PM
At home today nursing an infected leg from an operation and Netflix had dropped off Enemy At The Gates for me to watch - a great flick featuring everyone's favorite surplus rifle, the Mosin Nagant.

Got me thinking - what are other great movies for us, the people of the gun?
I don't know if they have been mentioned (didn't see them) but:
The Wild Bunch, and
Extreme Prejudice (with an amazing if brief performance by Rip Torn)

blaisenguns
April 2, 2013, 11:41 PM
What about "The Last Hard Men"? James Coburn and Charlton Heston. Oh and "The Omega Man". Sean Connery also handles some very nice pieces in "The League of Extraordinary Gentleman".

mastiffhound
April 3, 2013, 12:10 AM
I have over 500 DVDs and Blue Rays. I probably buy a new one every week. I'm an anal retentive type so my movies are all in categories. Some have already been listed but here goes.

Hamburger Hill, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, We Were Soldiers,
Platoon, Defiance, Saving Private Ryan, Pearl Harbor, U-571, IngloriousBasterds, Glory, The Patriot, The Alamo, The Untouchables, Mobsters(1991), Lawless, Public Enemies, The Kingdom, A-Team, The Hurt locker, Zero Dark Thirty, Act Of Valor, Green Zone, Munich, Rambo 1-4, The Proposition(Austalian western), Bandidas(got a thing for Salma Hayek), Open Range, The Magnificent Seven, Appaloosa, The Quick and the Dead, Tombstone, American Outlaws, Young Guns 1 and 2, The Book of Eli, Shooter, Assault on Precinct 13, A man Apart, Gamer, Ronin, S.W.A.T., The Town, Way of the Gun, The Replacement Killers, The Big Hit, Assassins, Doomsday, Shoot 'Em Up, Machete, The Last Boy Scout, Salt, Killer Elite, Mr and Mrs Smith, Sucker Punch, Wanted, Punisher, Punisher War Zone, Red, Escape from New York, Escape from L.A., Red Dawn(1984), Red Dawn(2012), All 5 Die Hard Movies, Any Terminator movie, The Expendables 1-2, The Boondock Saints, The Boondock Saints: All Saints Day, Resident Evil 1-5, Lethal Weapon 1-4, Faster, Black Hawk Down,The Mechanic(Charlie Bronson and Jason Statham), Jarhead, Enemy at the Gates, All the Predator and Aliens Movies, Drive Angry, Columbiana, Battle Los Angeles, and the Indiana Jones series(most forgot the guns!).

If you want some more just ask, that is just 2 shelves of DVDs and blue rays that I have.

JRH6856
April 3, 2013, 12:39 AM
My vote for best street shootout is: In the Line of Duty: The F.B.I. Murders (Made for TV, NBC, 1988)

As for the street scene in Heat, I can't get past Di Nero firing an M4 full auto through the same two 1/2" holes in the windshield.

indyogb
April 3, 2013, 01:42 AM
However, "Death Wish 3" is the one of the best movies of all time, let alone one of the best gun movies. The '80s gangsters are hilarious, the Wildey Magnum, Browning MG, an MG42, and various others (including a zip gun). Bronson is even shown loading some cartridges for the Wildey. Really, the music and gangsters make the movie what it is - entertaining from every angle - drama (hehe), comedy, and action. The whole "Death Wish" series is obviously pretty gun-centric, but "Death Wish 3" is the pinnacle.

The new "3:10 to Yuma" is also a good gun flick. Spencer rifle, Schofield revolvers, a Gatling gun, and numerous SAAs among others.

justice06rr
April 3, 2013, 04:24 AM
Some of my favorites include:

Shooter
Matrix
Resident Evil
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
Tears of the Sun

cwbys4evr
April 3, 2013, 08:41 AM
All very good suggestions, but I would like to add
1. Breaker Morant. Edward Woodward "Rule 303"
2. Equilibrium. Christian Bale. Sure the "gun kata" is unrealistic but pretty cool just the same. Plus the bad guy is a fascist regime

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

powwowell
April 3, 2013, 09:05 AM
Tombstone, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Open Range.

mcneill
April 3, 2013, 10:48 AM
Jerimah Johnson
The Mountain Men
The Culpepper Cattle Company (two of the best/realistic shootouts ever)

Neo-Luddite
April 3, 2013, 12:38 PM
The Wild Bunch

Corpral_Agarn
April 3, 2013, 02:48 PM
Another vote for Act of Valor and Black Hawk Down.

I really, really like Black Hawk Down.

Also: not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but Angel and the Badman is a great film!

JRH6856
April 3, 2013, 02:58 PM
Thief (James Caan)

This was one of the first movies I where saw someone using "modern technique" with a pistol when clearing rooms rather than just walk in with the gun in one hand at waist level.

geim druth
April 3, 2013, 06:04 PM
Great movies, there's not a lot left I would add.

Hardboiled
Drums Along the Mohawk
The Patriot
The Four Musketeers

The Professional has been mentioned, but not The Professionals, Lee Marvin, Jack Palance, Robert Ryan, Burt Lancaster, a real classic.

blaisenguns
April 3, 2013, 06:41 PM
Wait just one minute! No one has mentioned "Unforgiven"!!

SouthSeaPirate
April 3, 2013, 06:56 PM
I have to admit, EAtG got me interested in the Mosin. So happy I now have one :D

Derry 1946
April 3, 2013, 07:07 PM
Wait just one minute! No one has mentioned "Unforgiven"!!

Post #16.

SabbathWolf
April 3, 2013, 07:30 PM
Marvin the Martian.....

"At last, after two thousand years of research, the illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator."

:D

sabre452
April 4, 2013, 12:53 AM
Zulu 1964 with Michael Caine and Stanley Baker - The "Martini-Henry .577 miracle"

Ignition Override
April 4, 2013, 02:22 AM
Having not yet seen Tavisota, HEAT:cool:, for what is often described as the first realistic gun street battle in a movie.

As for Tavisota, do some of you guys (who don't) now wish that you owned a Finnish M-39 etc Mosin Nagant?

Sambo82
April 4, 2013, 04:27 AM
It wasn't big budget, but Sinners and Saints had some great gunplay. Watching the main character actually perform a speed reload on a Kalashnikov that would do a 3 gun guy proud is a first I've seen from Hollywood.

Also Children of Men has towards the end of the film what is probably the most visceral, surreal war scene I've seen in a film.

muncherndn
April 4, 2013, 05:04 AM
Please feel free to berate me, but I like "Sucker Punch". The story is fantasy, but the weapons used are factual, and they even have to reload them. The actual weapon manipulation scenes are few and far between, but the scenes showing tactics (as far as I have been taught) are sound.

I especially like the fact that the movie didn't zoom in on the character's movement cues (tapping on shoulders to signify movement when clearing "dragon scene"), as can be seen in most action movies. It's just part of the background as it should be instead of magnified on the big-screen for mall-ninja's to emulate. I am a dirty, nasty, POG, so my word is not to be trusted.

stonecutter2
April 4, 2013, 04:10 PM
The Bourne Identity
Boondock Saints
The Matrix
Glory
The Patriot
Mr and Mrs Smith <--- LOTS of gun goodness in this

Averageman
April 4, 2013, 05:27 PM
Cross of Iron.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye9J4nQrz5s

If you enjoyed reading about "Best Firearm Movies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!