Colorado Hunting Boycott; You Won't Actually Do It And We Don't Want You Anyway!

PDA

CoRoMo
April 1, 2013, 02:50 PM
I was listening to a radio interview last week where a Division of Wildlife spokesman was trying to stress that our new Universal Background Checks legislation will not affect the non-resident hunters who are threatening a boycott due to the recent 2nd Amendment infringements here. I wish I could find a transcript or audio to post because he really went to great lengths to explain that there is no reason at all to boycott the Colorado hunting seasons because our gun control laws won't infringe upon your rights.

But he did not mention the law limiting magazine capacity. That's the one he didn't want to talk about. That's the one that would make a visitor to our state a criminal. That's probably why the boycott is getting so many here in our state nervous.

Apparently it's the greater principal of a state infringing the rights of its residents, and not wanting to "reward" that state government for it. Who would have thought, eh?

Well I don't know where to find that audio/transcript, but here are some articles about the same thing...
http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_22904576/calls-colorado-hunting-boycott-produce-fear-economic-losses
"I just don't think it'll happen," she said. "Hunters are going to hunt no matter what happens. It's their annual vacation, and they don't want to give it up."

Alabama hunter Gene Myers said he will disregard calls for a boycott.

"People who say they will boycott ... are doing so for political reasons and blowing lots of smoke," he said. "When I am in the woods or mountains hunting, politics is the farthest thing from my mind."
Of course, what Gene Fudd doesn't know or maybe doesn't care about is that if he brings a brand new Glock to Colorado this fall, the post-July 1 magazine in that pistol makes him a criminal. Maybe that'll bring politics a little closer to home for him?
http://www.denverpost.com/willoughby/ci_22877708/ones-protest-is-anothers-shot-big-game-hunting
Upon further review, this notion of disgruntled gun owners boycotting Colorado hunting and fishing seasons in protest of limited magazine capacities and universal background checks may not be so bad after all.
The point is that if those jaded sportsmen from out of state and right here at home really do follow through with their threats to never spend another penny on hunting and fishing in Colorado, well, the hunting and fishing just got a lot better for those who do participate. And the application odds for getting a big-game license are improving too.
So who needs all of you out-of-state hunters anyway?!!? Good riddance! :rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "Colorado Hunting Boycott; You Won't Actually Do It And We Don't Want You Anyway!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Outlaw Man
April 1, 2013, 03:07 PM
This does hurt the odds of me getting that Wyoming antelope tag I put in for....

At least I can still take my AR along for some varmint hunting without fear of going to jail. Colorado had better hope they don't get overrun by prairie dogs!

hso
April 1, 2013, 03:16 PM
So what provision, if any, does the current legislative mess make for out of state visitors? None? If no one can prove that their magazines are "illegal" then who would know unless the visitor was asked and honestly answered.

MachIVshooter
April 1, 2013, 03:21 PM
If no one can prove that their magazines are "illegal" then who would know unless the visitor was asked and honestly answered.

That's the problem. Nobody who knows how these new laws work is going to be ensnared, but the guy who was unaware of them or didn't understand them will self incriminate, not realizing he's in violation.

MErl
April 1, 2013, 03:40 PM
/me should stop reading articles that are drafted as a simple <removed> to gun owners.

CO residents should not boycott. What are we gonna do after all, pay 10-20x more for an OOS tag in WY or NM? Folks that come from Alabama like mentioned should look hard at other states.

What we really need next fall is for some tourist to get their ass arrested for bringing a modern handgun along, or even an AR10 with a new 20 rounder. That would get a boycott rolling pretty fast. Or are they not going to enforce these laws...

Skylerbone
April 1, 2013, 04:00 PM
The only solution is to repeal the new laws. A boycott, while decreasing slightly the revenue to the State can always be offset by Federal programs. Meanwhile, those whose livelihood depends on hunting tourism will be hurt far worse and that is when DNR officials like to swoop in and buy up land that was once privately owned and hunt-able and create sanctuaries. Drive out the sportsmen, open the floodgates to Eco-tourism and potheads. Population control at its best. If you think things look bad now, imagine what your State (or any other) would look like if all gun owners left.

CoRoMo
April 1, 2013, 04:05 PM
CO residents should not boycott. What are we gonna do after all, pay 10-20x more for an OOS tag in WY or NM?
IIRC, it's cheaper to hunt pronghorn and muledeer in Wyoming as a non-resident than to hunt those animals in Colorado as a resident.

rcmodel
April 1, 2013, 04:05 PM
What about driving through Colorado to get to Wyoming to shoot prairie dogs??

Does the mag ban make you a criminal just passing through??

rc

MErl
April 1, 2013, 04:15 PM
FOPA may or may not protect someone just passing through the state. Not sure if it applies to mags.

if the mag it inst in an inaccessible locked case the law would apply for sure.

Skylerbone
April 1, 2013, 04:16 PM
Only if you stop and stay. If, for instance you decided to catch a Broncos game and spend the evening in Denver then Denver, and not Wyoming would be your destination. You have then knowingly brought banned items into the State.

HankR
April 1, 2013, 04:20 PM
Does the mag ban make you a criminal just passing through??

The Colorado law? yes

but, Federal law should protect you. Who wants to be the first test case? Who wants to pay thousands of dollars in law fees, and travel fees, and maybe spend some time in jail just to prove the point and/or get a few dollars worth of magazines back?

I won't do a total boycott of Colorado -- I have family and other obligations there this year. I certainly will not agree to similar obligations there next year. If I need to visit family I will minimize purchases there by re-routing my trips and making any large (fuel, hotel) purchases in the free-er states, even if it means breaking up the drive in a less convenient fashion.

CoRoMo
April 1, 2013, 04:21 PM
If the magazine on Tom Knapp's 712 is longer than 28", he'd be a criminal if he does an exhibition here.

http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Tom-Knapp-Teams-with-CZ-USA.jpg

toiville2feathers
April 1, 2013, 04:24 PM
You Calorado people can say good riddance to out of state hunters , but don't forget that almost 60 % of you fish & wildlife money comes from the out of state hunter. THats how you get the attention of the politicians. That puts the financial burden on you the citizen hunter. Hopefully, the citizens of Colorado decide to take there state back then perhaps out of state hunters will return.
In the mean time I am taking my out of state money and going to a Free state. I quit hunting Colorado several years ago when your fish and wildlife turned to supporting PETA and The HSUS. Went to Idaho, which has worked very well for me and the hunting experience has been fantastic.
Even states like New York are concerned about the boycott. As far as those who say we are blowing smoke about this boycott, I'll mention a couple of examples.
Jim Zumbro (outdoor editor) made a statement that the AR platform rifle should not be considered as a sporting rifle. All of his endorsement supporters dropped him and so did the magazine that he was gun editor for..
The 2013 Harrisburg Gun Show. All the exhibitors, even those who weren't fire arm related pulled out. The show was cancelled because they didn't have any exhibitors. over 200 of them pulled out.
No, don't think this movement don't have any solidarity. It has a lot of support and people are standing up and ready to sacrifice and fight. At what is at stake is our 2A rights and millions of dollars of revenue for your state.

Old Fuff
April 1, 2013, 04:29 PM
I don't spend much time or money in Colorado...

But I would think that some is better then none - as it will be for now. :uhoh:

tarosean
April 1, 2013, 04:31 PM
I guess we will find out in a few days if it was all hot air or not. Applications end tomorrow (Big game).

fdashes
April 1, 2013, 04:35 PM
What toiville says ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ United you stand,,divided you fall

oneounceload
April 1, 2013, 04:38 PM
As someone who used to live in Rifle, the amount of out of state hunters was huge when I lived there and the local motels, guides, grocery stores, etc ALL made a LOT during hunting season -even more that fishing which was longer

G'dale Mike
April 1, 2013, 05:22 PM
The politicians are again, trying to divide and conquer. Attempting to catergorize hunting from owning certain firearms. If a state is going to abridge second amendment rights, i dont care if they fly me there to hunt for free, i want NO part of it. I havent hunted or spent a dime in Colorado, but last year i did spend a bunch in Montana. Who's to say in the future, i wouldnt of went to Colorado to hunt. But the decision was made for me with the passage of the overbearing legislation. They will never see any of my $$.

mrvco
April 1, 2013, 05:29 PM
We'll make up the lost hunting related revenue in fines searching out-of-state cars for non-compliant magazines!!! Class 2 misdemeanors are far more lucrative than speeding tickets.

Akita1
April 1, 2013, 05:37 PM
As much as I feel bad on an emotional level that we shouldn't hurt the guides, etc. that rely on we "out of staters" for their livelihood, I'm still not taking my family to CO for anything, whether it be hunting or skiing. Not even a flight transfer. Emotion is what gets us in trouble - it drives such things as poorly-drafted draconian legislation that has befallen such a fine State as Colorado. Park City here we come.

SharpsDressedMan
April 1, 2013, 05:41 PM
It's simple for me. When I hunt big game, I used to go to Colorado, and hang with some friends. In discussing it with them, they fully understand and support MY not hunting there, as THEY are pizzed enough to take their hunting from NW CO to SW Wyoming (and pay out of state fees, etc), and we may all end up there together. The State of Colorado needs to FEEL it. If the bulk of hunters just try one new state other than Colorado this year, they will get a message, and it may help sway voters and those who are fighting for a repeal, or referendum.

340PD
April 1, 2013, 05:54 PM
Boycott Colorado for hunting, fishing, skiing, and anything else that you spend money on. Then, support any company that pulls out of that state.
Hopefully, the residents then can make a case for the elimination of the anti-gunners in next Colorado state election.

razorback2003
April 1, 2013, 06:31 PM
I guess will have to stick to Wyoming. Colorado makes a lot of money off non resident hunters. Havent they already banned bear or mountain lion hunting with dogs, just like their brethren in California? No thank you. I'll pass on hunting there and hunt somewhere hunters are appreciated.

Robert
April 1, 2013, 07:40 PM
I put in for my tag. I can not afford to go out of state to hunt. This is my home and this is where I will make my stand. My not hunting will not make a dent. There are other areas that I can make a larger impact. Now if you live out of state then yes, your impact will be felt.

Beentown
April 1, 2013, 07:43 PM
It still amazes me the number of supposed 2a supporters who are still going to hunt Colorado (out of staters). I spoke with three that said "the elk still need killed". These same people who support gun control are the same ones who will try to limit your hunting opportunities. These people are the same ones that receive funding from groups like PETA, ASPCA, WSPA, CAFT, etc...

Short term, self interest is going to hurt us soon...

blueskyjaunte
April 1, 2013, 07:45 PM
I don't even hunt in CO (only in WY) but we used to fly into Denver and then drive up from there.

However, from now on we will fly into Salt Lake and drive or just fly direct. CO doesn't need (or deserve) my car rental $$.

splattergun
April 1, 2013, 08:13 PM
My buddy and I cancelled our 2014 elk hunt and I let all the state's representatives know why and how much of my money is going to another state. The outfitter told me he won't guide in CO after this year, either.

Coltdriver
April 1, 2013, 08:19 PM
Well you'd have to find a Sheriff willing to mess with you to get in trouble. The Colorado State Sheriff's association is suing the state for the goofy laws they have put in place. Don't know the basis but they must think they have one.

We will see what happens when the stats come out from DOW. But we won't see the full impact till they talley up things next year. We will also be able to see what the tag draw numbers turned out to be with the stats they publish.

In the meantime those of us who live here are out to politically de-horn the offending tyrants.

You can bet DOW is nervous because money is tight everywhere and I have yet to find a liberal in the woods hunting. So those out of state folks with the money to spend hunting here may well not show.

Takem406
April 1, 2013, 09:01 PM
It's not just hunters. If your carry pistol holds over 10 rounds your SOL.

Being from Montana I know out of state hunters are a royal pain in the donkey. However they are vitally important to our economy. There's a lot of people who make they're living off of helping goofy Easterners hunt without a treestand.

I'm just glad Montana is loosening it's gun laws. But if you do choose to hunt here please leave the llamas and baby bucks alone!

In God and Glock we Trust

jmace57
April 1, 2013, 09:35 PM
Write an email to the Colorado Department of Tourism. Tell them you had planned a trip there this summer, but becuase of the Legislature's actions, you will take your tourism dollars elsewhere. (It doean't matter if you were REALLY going to go there, this summer - just tell them so.) Maybe the word will filter back to the powers that be.

Then I'd write the Colorado Chamber of Commerce and do the same thing. Then the Denver Chamber of Commerce. Let them know it's going to hit them in the pocketbook.

oneounceload
April 1, 2013, 09:38 PM
It seems the antis' divide and conquer strategy is working

mokin
April 1, 2013, 10:54 PM
I agree with what CoRoMo wrote in #7. Maybe these new laws will force not only a serious pro-gun backlash but also force someone at DOW to rewrite some of the harvest policies/laws to where they make more sense.

Cranky CJ
April 1, 2013, 11:14 PM
I can't help but believe that DOW is going to struggle with funding this year. Not just hunting license funding but fishing licenses as well.

Thing is, the front range liberals don't care. They wouldn't listen to the voters when this was going down, the governor wouldn't listen to the sheriffs. Letters and phone calls to the chamber of commerce, tourist offices and the like will not have an impact.

The only thing that will make a difference are changes in the 2014 elections. The best shot to get this fixed are the 2014 elections.

armarsh
April 1, 2013, 11:48 PM
Not just hunting. I'm not going to Colorado for any reason, same as New York and
California. Denver is one of the places I could go for training. I have choices and will now have a reason to spend my money elsewhere. Hey, just more room for others, right?

SuperNaut
April 2, 2013, 12:04 AM
$1.8 Billion is generated by hunters and anglers in Colorado yearly (http://hugahunter.com/), hunters and anglers fund a huge portion of the wildlife conservation efforts with self-imposed fees. One of the unintended consequences of Colorado's new laws will be the loss of millions of dollars earmarked for wildlife conservation and management.

Oopsie.

r1derbike
April 2, 2013, 12:34 AM
I'm gonna miss all those Colorado Post Cards every year from buds who ski/hunt there, and are now going elsewhere.

I wish the best for citizens, but your government has taken a path I won't ever walk, either.

feedthehogs
April 2, 2013, 12:40 AM
$1.8 Billion is generated by hunters and anglers in Colorado yearly (http://hugahunter.com/), hunters and anglers fund a huge portion of the wildlife conservation efforts with self-imposed fees. One of the unintended consequences of Colorado's new laws will be the loss of millions of dollars earmarked for wildlife conservation and management.

Oopsie.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Can't expect politicians to comprehend unintended consequences when their vision is as short as their noses.

hang fire
April 2, 2013, 02:21 AM
IIRC, it's cheaper to hunt pronghorn and muledeer in Wyoming as a non-resident than to hunt those animals in Colorado as a resident.
More goats (antelope) in Wyoming than people.

mrvco
April 2, 2013, 02:30 AM
As a Colorado resident that is committed to stay and fight... cancel your reservations (hunting, skiing, etc.) and give us a solid boost going into the 2014 election.

Don't worry about the elk and deer, we'll cull them just fine, whether it be by gun or by automobile... and there will still be plenty for you when we get this state point back in the right direction.

JohnBiltz
April 2, 2013, 02:32 AM
Denver does not return firearms if you are stopped for cause. If you are stopped for cause in Denver you will never see your guns, including your legal hunting rifles again. So you get stopped, you have a legally owned 16 round magazine that is a legal magazine when you go to court with a lawyer and swear so. Your now out lawyer costs and you will never see those guns again.

BigBore44
April 2, 2013, 06:52 AM
Start off by saying that I'm a bowhunter. Unless its hogs im going after I only bowhunt big game. And I bowhunt hogs too. But sometimes my 45-70 like to spill hog blood also. And my backup when bowhunting is a stainless SBH 44 mag. So the bans don't even affect me hunting wise. BUT, I really hope that the Colorado members on here don't take the hunting/traveling boycott personally. If you voted pro 2A then it's not your fault. I personally want to spend money in your state. I love Colorado. But we cannot support a state with our money that is going to use that money to fund more infringements on ALL of our 2A rights. So do everything you can possibly do to change it in 2014. And I along with 1,000's of others will be back.

Prince Yamato
April 2, 2013, 10:21 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't the majority of species people enjoy hunting in Colorado live in abundance in neighboring states like Wyoming? I thought all the really big game was in Wyoming, Montana, etc. What's in Colorado that makes it unique? Bear and Elk are found throughout big sky country.

MagnunJoe
April 2, 2013, 10:31 AM
We Lose a state every month. What R U going to do in 4 years?

fdashes
April 2, 2013, 10:36 AM
^5 to oneounceload post #33

Akita1
April 2, 2013, 10:43 AM
Robert - any way to get you to change your mind on this? I get the economics, but even 1 person can make a difference, as instructed by many of our beloved mods here. You are welcome to come to FL any time and I will gladly host a deer, hog, turkey, quail, coyote, et al hunt at our private club/camp for you, repeatedly if necessary to get you to change your mind! It's humid and know you hate that, but winter deer/hog and spring turkeys are great weather!

Loosenock
April 2, 2013, 11:04 AM
as been mentioned that local jurisdictions might not enforce the laws...But in Colorado.... DNR/DOW wardens are one most powerful enforcement agents in our state. They can enforce all laws on the books. And they enforce them with intense enthusiasm.....as I'm sure some of you already know. The regulations and laws change every year our state and you just about need to be a lawyer. The Game Management Units are vague and left up to interpretation. I've known licensed state surveyors who have been cited for hunting in wrong GMUs being on the wrong side of a ridge line.

I try to be 110% legal at all time with all regulations and laws. But to be honest with you, after hearing some of the fines and penalties handed out for trivial infractions, I'm scared and tremble at the thought of hunting and fishing here and I'm a land owner.

The hunting isn't that good anymore, there is no access to the game for the common hunter. If you want to pay a couple of thousand dollars to hunt on private property or go with guides.... sure. But most of us can't afford that sort of hunting.

Wyoming is only an hour away...they get my hunting and fishing $,$$$.$$. A non resident doe tag is only $34.

Your state could be next....please support our boycott by spending your sporting dollars anywhere but Colorado.

'loose

Shanghai McCoy
April 2, 2013, 11:12 AM
as been mentioned that local jurisdictions might not enforce the laws...But in Colorado.... DNR/DOW wardens are one most powerful enforcement agents in our state. They can enforce all laws on the books. And they enforce them with intense enthusiasm.....as I'm sure some of you already know. The regulations and laws change every year our state and you just about need to be a lawyer. The hunting isn't that good anymore, there is no access to the game for the common hunter. If you want to pay a couple of thousand dollars to hunt on private property or go with guides.... sure. But most of us can't afford that sort of hunting.

Wyoming is only an hour away...they get my hunting and fishing $,$$$.$$. A non resident doe tag is only $34.

Your state could be next....please support our boycott by spending your sporting dollars anywhere but Colorado.

'loose
Way ahead of ya there loose...

Robert
April 2, 2013, 11:22 AM
I am not going to give up on my state or my hobbies just because some self appointed do gooder feels they are right. Again, if I were coming from out of state it would be a different story and I don't fault y'all at all.

I plan to get involved in the 2014 elections on at least the local level and donate time and money to the people and causes that support our rights. We will bring them down and we can undo all of the stupidity that has been forced down our throats. This is the result of the Denver/ Boulder area liberals riding herd over the rest of the state. They may well have woken the dragon so to speak.

Jitterbug
April 2, 2013, 11:56 AM
Well I hope you are right Robert, but the Gang of Four who is funding and buying Colorado politics lately is a formidable adversary.

I'd leave if I could because of what they've done to our state and I intend to take it to them as best as I can in 2014. But I think with the pot and alternative lifestyle stuff going on in Denver the "powers that be" really don't care about the ramifications of these new laws or any losses to the hunting and fishing industry. The new pot industry is going to be huge and bring in a huge amount of cash to the state. I'd guess that most of our "new" Colorado politicians wouldn't know an Elk if it bit them on the ankle.

As a 40 year Colorado resident I was taken by surprise to learn of this "Gang" and the resources these individuals have. Google is your friend here.

As a lifelong hunter, fisherman and outdoorsman who enjoys all of the outdoors I'm seriously considering boycotting my self and writing a letter to DOW to let them know why.

Looseknock has some very valid points regarding our fish and game laws and now with these new and confusing laws it's just going to be that much more fun while in the field. Years ago I mentioned to friends that the way the regs were going I'd need an attorney to just figure out when, where and how to hunt or fish. And I go out of my way to be 110% within the law at all times.

But, I'm not going to argue with or be hassled by a liberal or jerk warden and I've run into one or two in the past 40 years. I've seen the displays of enthusiasm by DOW Barney's in the past and can only imagine what some of them will do with removeable magazine baseplates, that's really going to be fun. It's not unusual to have a magazine fed semi along even if you don't hunt or fish with one.

No Thanks, I'm seriously thinking of spending my hunting and fishing in Wyoming and Idaho this year. And that includes not renewing my $70 annual State Parks pass or the annual small game, turkey and fishing license I've usually purchased by this time...not much but about $150 bucks of my money they may not get.

Robert
April 2, 2013, 12:50 PM
Jitterbug, I hope I am right too. Otherwise there will be some decisions to be made.

Deanimator
April 2, 2013, 01:33 PM
Colorado can make any imbecilic decision it wants.

NOBODY from out of state has one IOTA of duty to FUND it with THEIR money.

I keep seeing over and over the pathetic inability of some people to grasp that actions have consequences.

To hear some people talk, you'd think that you should be FORCED to buy Dixie Chicks CDs and hunt in Colorado.

So, what are the antis (and their fellow travellers) in Colorado going to do if we don't spend money there? Hold their collective breaths until they turn blue and die? I say go for it.

CoRoMo
April 2, 2013, 02:28 PM
Write an email to the Colorado Department of Tourism.
It's been done and done well. The Dept. of Tourism has been on the air crying about the falling sky. They've felt the blow and they are worried.
I can't help but believe that DOW is going to struggle with funding this year. Not just hunting license funding but fishing licenses as well.

It is unquestionably evident by their recent actions. Make no mistake, they would never, ever go on radio to plea for "understanding" if they were not convinced that they are virtually doomed.
Start off by saying that I'm a bowhunter. ... So the bans don't even affect me ... I love Colorado. But we cannot support a state with our money that is going to use that money to fund more infringements on ALL of our 2A rights. ...
Precisely! I thank you for you conviction and principled ways. You are forever invited back once the battle is won.

Loosenock
April 2, 2013, 03:03 PM
Well....the boycott might be in trouble. As I was just coming home the major news radio station was saying that the DOW computers were overloaded. Today is the final day for applying for limited big game and specified GMU area drawings. And the volume of applications have shut down the license computer system.

If the computers are overloaded it could mean that a "reverse boycott" is happening. I know a liberal co-worker who applied for a bear license every year and never hunted. It was her way of saying she saved a bears life. Maybe the libs are buying limited licenses in support of the new laws.

We need all the support we can muster.

Hope it is a false report.

'loose

Robert
April 2, 2013, 03:11 PM
The CDOW servers crashed last night from all the last minute applications. Well they crashed last night, I am not 100% sure of the cause.

If you enjoyed reading about "Colorado Hunting Boycott; You Won't Actually Do It And We Don't Want You Anyway!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!