Durabake, or AlumaHyde?

PDA

Joshua M.
April 1, 2013, 05:28 PM
So, my Smith airweight didn't fair to well in the ultrasonic parts cleaner...kinda stripped the clear off. :cuss:So I buffed it down, and as opposed to re clearing it, I thought I'd Durabake it flat black. Dad had some silver AlumaHyde, so we tried that, but it won't stick. We tried some self etching primer also, and that wouldn't work either, so guess ill try the Durabake approach. Has anyone had experiences with it? We degreased it, and wiped it down with lacquer thinner before trying the paint, and it didn't work :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Durabake, or AlumaHyde?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Joshua M.
April 1, 2013, 05:54 PM
Holy Moses!!! Was just gonna order a $29 can of Durabake from midway...but they were gonna charge $19 to ship it...that ain't gonna happen.:fire:

GyMac
April 1, 2013, 08:17 PM
I tried AlumaHyde and it just didn't work for me. I've also used Duracoat non-bake and it seems to be better, but the jury for the long-term is still out. If I had to do it over again, I would just have my gun parkerized.

akv3g4n
April 1, 2013, 11:12 PM
Yeah, the shipping on most of the gun paint is terrible because it's considered a hazardous material or something.

I've had really good luck with AlumaHydeII using a cheap Harbor Freight spray gun. I just degreased really well with acetone and then hit it with a hair dryer to warm the metal. Next, hit it with a light coat, hairdryer, another light coat, hairdryer, final coat. Don't touch it for 7-10 days.

You can always bead blast first if you're having problems with adhesion.

I've never used any of the Dura Anything products so I can't compare.

Havok7416
April 2, 2013, 02:57 AM
I've Duracoated (not baked) two guns so far. One was used every day I had a CCW (I moved so I have to get a new one) for several years with no ill effects to the finish. The other gun wasn't really shot at all until recently and it does just fine.

Valkman
April 2, 2013, 10:27 PM
AlumahydeII isn't going to work unless you bead or sand blast the gun first. I did some knives with it and never had a problem but I sand blasted them first. You can't spray it on a shiny smotth surface and expect it to stick.

If you enjoyed reading about "Durabake, or AlumaHyde?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!