BAR value

PDA

tranquil
April 1, 2013, 06:50 PM
Hi,
I'm new to this site. I have a question concerning a gun I found in my father's attic. He recently passed and I started cleaning out his house.
He was an infantryman in the Battle of the Bulge in WW II. Anyway, I found a BAR rifle stored in a box with magazines, ammo, bandeliers, sling and bipod. It is in very good shape, with no rust. There are dings on the stock and some of the bluing has worn off.
Does anyone know what the value might be?
Wise

If you enjoyed reading about "BAR value" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
vtail
April 1, 2013, 06:59 PM
Could be anywhere from 5K to 20K, I don't have any idea.

The bigger question is whether or not the military will consider it to still be theirs.

I'm afraid the legal bill you are facing is going to be huge, although I would love to have your problem.

Get a very good lawyer well versed in these matters. And don't mention to anyone else you have it, until you speak to the attorney.

mac66
April 1, 2013, 07:01 PM
And then you woke up from your dream right? My suggestion is to delete your post and never discuss it with anyone again...ever.

bulltaco
April 1, 2013, 07:21 PM
What day is today? I'm thinking this is a joke!

oldbear
April 1, 2013, 07:29 PM
My First thought is this is an April fools gag. Then my second thought is this is an April fools gag.

But in case it is not. Tranquil if in fact you have a Browning Automatic Rifle you are in violation of federal law and could end up in more trouble than you ever dreamed of. Your only legal option I know of is to Surrender it to the B.A.T.F.

Good luck

627PCFan
April 1, 2013, 07:32 PM
This post locked in 3....2.....1.....

Baba Louie
April 1, 2013, 08:17 PM
Does anyone know what the value might be?10 years and a $250,000 fine? :uhoh:

Or... a great April Fool is priceless.

Look up the 34 NFA. If you are serious, you have an issue or two to deal with and you might seriously consider mac66s and oldbears advice.

If it was all legalized and registered, a 1918A2... $15-20K would not be too unreal a value for a serious collector depending on condition.

Oh yeah, Tranquil, welcome to THR (I think that's one heckuva 1st post, I will say)

Do not violate any law. OK? It's frowned upon in general and here in particular. Not very High Road donchaknow?

Frank Ettin
April 1, 2013, 09:06 PM
....10 years and a $250,000 fine?...Baba Louie wins the answer prize.

The OP wins 10 years in federal prison, a $250,000 fine and, as a bonus, a lifetime loss of gun rights.

OP, if you don't have the proper documentation that the BAR was properly registered under the NFA, you need to find a lawyer and arrange to surrender the rifle to the ATF.

The thread is now closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "BAR value" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!