Second Quarter 2013 Centerfire Handgun Match | Cheating the Gallows

PDA

CmdrSlander
April 2, 2013, 12:13 AM
With Maverick223's blessing I bring you the first THR quarterly handgun match.

This quarter's match will be based on the old western legend of the man who shot his friend free from the hangman's noose by severing the rope with a bullet. Your job is to do just that with the centerfire handgun of your choice. Sever the rope at its narrowest section, avoiding the knot and the noose itself. You have three shots per target, with more points being awarded if you do the job in fewer shots.

There are classes of handgun for the purposes of this competition:

Service: Stock handguns with unmodified triggers (regardless of type), fixed iron sights, etc. If the handgun is DA/SA the first round must be fired in double action mode. To be shot at 10 yards.

Target/Custom: Target handguns with adjustable iron sights and/or triggers that break under four pounds of pull. DA/SA shooters who wish to fire their initial shot in single action may also compete in this class. To be shot at 15 yards.

Unlimited: Raceguns and their ilk, any handgun fitted with an optical sighting device. To be shot at 25 yards.

All must be fired from a standing position.

Print out the attached target as many times as necessary. All submissions due June 31st. The winner in each class will be the shooter that most cleanly cuts (puts their shot nearest the center) the narrowest section of the rope in the fewest shots.

ETA: Mods, please sticky as it is the rifle forum.

If you enjoyed reading about "Second Quarter 2013 Centerfire Handgun Match | Cheating the Gallows" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Inebriated
April 2, 2013, 12:37 AM
Would be a good time for .500 S&W and some wadcutters... could knock this out in one shot :D

I'll give this a go. I completely forgot about the rifle match (sorry Maverick!).

murf
April 22, 2013, 02:58 PM
yes, you should let the revolver guys play at this game, too.

murf

F-111 John
April 24, 2013, 08:27 PM
Well, Murf, I know it was posted in the autoloaders forum, but it says "with the centerfire handgun of your choice." My first choice was going to be my Dan Wesson Model 715 with 6" barrel. (I wonder about a Taurus Judge with slugs?)

David E
April 24, 2013, 09:05 PM
The egregious oversight here is not defining the rope.

A 1/4" clothesline rope would be easier to sever than a 1/2" nylon rope.

Further, what poundage should the weight be?

CmdrSlander
April 25, 2013, 01:16 AM
The egregious oversight here is not defining the rope.

A 1/4" clothesline rope would be easier to sever than a 1/2" nylon rope.

Further, what poundage should the weight be?
You aren't actually shooting a rope, you're shooting a picture of a rope, download the PDF file target.

David E
April 25, 2013, 03:55 PM
You aren't actually shooting a rope, you're shooting a picture of a rope, download the PDF file target.

Oh, ok. I didn't notice that PDF file on the iPhone app. Thanks for the info.

F-111 John
April 25, 2013, 05:08 PM
Newbie question: How are submissions made? Mail in targets or post pictures?

CmdrSlander
April 25, 2013, 05:09 PM
Newbie question: How are submissions made? Mail in targets or post pictures?
Post pictures...

F-111 John
April 28, 2013, 01:40 PM
Shot a total of three targets in each of two classes, and I never got close to severing the rope. Here are my best targets, both shot 4/27/13.

Service Class, 10 yds, Standing.
Glock 26 Gen 3, Blazer Brass 115 gr FMJ

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8118/8688866981_5f3ba3f71a_z.jpghttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8399/8689983858_d0a88e3e1e_z.jpg

Target/Custom Class, 15 yds, Standing, all shots single action
Dan Wesson Model 715 6" bbl, WWB 147 gr FMJ

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8117/8688863693_f7db5dcdb2_z.jpghttp://farm8.staticflickr.com/7048/8688862141_c0cd42245b_z.jpg

CmdrSlander
April 28, 2013, 02:35 PM
Shot a total of three targets in each of two classes, and I never got close to severing the rope. Here are my best targets, both shot 4/27/13.

Service Class, 10 yds, Standing.
Glock 26 Gen 3, Blazer Brass 115 gr FMJ

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8118/8688866981_5f3ba3f71a_z.jpghttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8399/8689983858_d0a88e3e1e_z.jpg

Target/Custom Class, 15 yds, Standing, all shots single action
Dan Wesson Model 715 6" bbl, WWB 147 gr FMJ

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8117/8688863693_f7db5dcdb2_z.jpghttp://farm8.staticflickr.com/7048/8688862141_c0cd42245b_z.jpg
Good work!

Considering the fact that in real life the rope would be under stress, you almost certainly severed the rope with that last one.

Inebriated
April 28, 2013, 10:38 PM
Targets printed, ready to go. Gonna be shooting a G21 at it. Hopefully I can hit the range tomorrow.
So do I have to perfectly sever the rope, or does hitting it in the center suffice? I'll be trying to completely sever it, of course, but I want to know how much to argue if things don't go my way.

CmdrSlander
April 28, 2013, 11:13 PM
Targets printed, ready to go. Gonna be shooting a G21 at it. Hopefully I can hit the range tomorrow.
So do I have to perfectly sever the rope, or does hitting it in the center suffice? I'll be trying to completely sever it, of course, but I want to know how much to argue if things don't go my way.
A good hit in the center of the rope counts as severing it, but the winner is the person who severs it either on the first shot or lands every shot on the rope.

Inebriated
April 28, 2013, 11:29 PM
Fair enough.

I did some dry-fire at it... it is quite challenging to stay steady.

murf
May 4, 2013, 03:46 PM
was testing some ammo today and thought i'd take a crack at it. used a revolver, hope ya don't mind.

shot at 15 yards as the pistols are not completely stock.

murf

murf
May 24, 2013, 09:56 PM
thought i'd try a couple of autos. only had one target, but should work out ok. for some reason, the bhp is not going where i want it. the bersa did quite well, though.

both guns were shot cold. no practice shots. will have to try a couple other guns later on after i make some more targets.

murf

murf
May 25, 2013, 06:02 PM
haven't fired the colt in over ten years. first shot luck! the combat masterpiece is just plain accurate (i'm not).

murf

Merle1
May 27, 2013, 06:21 PM
Oh boy - another handgun match for big bores !!!!!
Time to break out my limited supply of 45 AR SWC - I need all the help I can get.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

PS: I'm glad to see that some of the new Postals are using smaller round counts. That will help in these days of ammo shortages.

Merle1
May 27, 2013, 06:56 PM
From some of the posts above it would appear that you can enter more than one gun per class. Is this correct?

Thanks

:confused:

CmdrSlander
May 28, 2013, 12:05 AM
From some of the posts above it would appear that you can enter more than one gun per class. Is this correct?

Thanks

:confused:
Enter early and often.

Merle1
May 28, 2013, 10:17 AM
Enter early and often.

Well, at least as often as my ammo supply :cuss: will allow.....

Thanks

MrBorland
May 29, 2013, 05:23 PM
Heh....just saw this stuck away in the semi-auto section. Very sneaky. Gonna have to print out some targets and give it a "spin". :evil:

CmdrSlander
May 30, 2013, 03:00 PM
Heh....just saw this stuck away in the semi-auto section. Very sneaky. Gonna have to print out some targets and give it a "spin". :evil:
Yah, General Handgun Discussion is kind of dead so I put it in the busiest of the two handgun subforums.

MrBorland
June 1, 2013, 09:23 AM
Got out to the range and gave this a "whirl". I took my vintage S&W K-38 to use in stock class. I'm no better shooting single action, so I just shot double action. First 2 rounds severed the rope, but then got dumb, took a peek, and threw the 3rd shot. :fire:

I also tried it with my primary gun that I use for IDPA, a 4" 686. It's had an action job, and rendered DAO, so it goes in the Target/Custom class, I think. The problem is that I shot it at 10 yards, whereas I only now recall I should've shot it at 15, so I'll have to go back and re-shoot it. Thought I'd post it anyway, as I had the same mental hiccup :o - 1st 2 severed the rope, I peeked, and threw the 3rd shot (though not as badly) :fire:.

Thanks for a good challenge!

Service: K-38, 148gr HBWC, shot double action:
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/becke016/GunsTargets/THRK-38June13funshoot_zpsc41aad2f.jpg

Target/Custom: DAO 4" S&W 686, 158gr plated RN (note, shot at 10 yards; need to re-shoot at 15):
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/becke016/GunsTargets/THR686June13FunShoot_zpsb83849e6.jpg

F-111 John
June 1, 2013, 01:35 PM
MrBorland,

Hey man, if you hit the rope on the first shot, STOP! If you submit a target with a single shot to the rope, you win! If there are three shots to the rope, you tie.

I didn't quite grasp this concept when I shot mine. I thought I needed to have a clean break across the rope and I couldn't do it so I just submitted my best attempt. Only after the fact did I learn that if I hit the rope cleanly, that counts as a "cut" and I should not fire again.

(p.s., your K-38 has adjustable sights, so I believe it also needs to be shot at 15 yds in the target/custom category. That's what I had to do with my Dan Wesson 715.)

MrBorland
June 1, 2013, 03:15 PM
if you hit the rope on the first shot, STOP! If you submit a target with a single shot to the rope, you win! If there are three shots to the rope, you tie.

the winner is the person who severs it either on the first shot or lands every shot on the rope.

Seemed to me severing the rope with each of 3 shots beats would be the royal flush. I guess once the rope is severed, it's severed, though.

your K-38 has adjustable sights, so I believe it also needs to be shot at 15 yds in the target/custom category.

eh...yup. I see it's "iron sights and/or triggers that break under four pounds of pull."

Sorry folks. As you were. Disregard my entry. :o Back to the range for another whack.

murf
June 1, 2013, 07:17 PM
all three shots should be counted, imo. prevents someone from shooting 100 one-shot targets and posting the best one (legal according to the rules).

any sight dovetailed into the slide, or backstrap, is adjustable and should be shot at 15 yards. fixed means immovable, right? what say you, cmdr?

i keep proving to myself what a lousy shot i have become. the guns are all capable of three shots in one hole.

ah well, it's fun.

murf

CmdrSlander
June 2, 2013, 01:28 AM
all three shots should be counted, imo. prevents someone from shooting 100 one-shot targets and posting the best one (legal according to the rules).

any sight dovetailed into the slide, or backstrap, is adjustable and should be shot at 15 yards. fixed means immovable, right? what say you, cmdr?

i keep proving to myself what a lousy shot i have become. the guns are all capable of three shots in one hole.

ah well, it's fun.

murf
The adjusted/fixed dichotomy herein is drawn from standard handgun terminology; dovetailed sights lacking windage and elevation adjustment points (screws to turn, et al) count as fixed.

murf
June 7, 2013, 06:09 PM
tried again. incentive was another thread discussing the inferiority of the one-handed hold. the 38 was shot one-handed. i still can't shoot.

the blackhawk load was shot first (two handed). it is very low because i aimed at the bottom of the paper not knowing how high it would shoot. it doesn't count. just wanted to see how it did. not bad.

murf

MrBorland
June 8, 2013, 09:26 AM
ok, tried it again, at the correct distance of 15 yards this time. :o Used my 6" K-38 (target class).

My 1st shot might've severed the rope, so I stopped:
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/becke016/GunsTargets/THRmatchJune7131_zpsd2a218dd.jpg

In the event I didn't severe the rope with my 1st shot, I shot a 2nd target:
http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp239/becke016/GunsTargets/THRmatchJune7132_zpsa0d1bf49.jpg

F-111 John
June 8, 2013, 10:38 AM
Nice shot, Mr. B! Nice group on the second target as well.

murf
June 8, 2013, 12:14 PM
looks like mr. borland has "raised the bar" at fifteen yards. now it's two shots on the rope for the win!

nice shooting, sir.

murf

murf
June 24, 2013, 12:03 PM
well, have to concede the title to mr. boreland. yavapai county has a fire restriction in place. no shooting allowed.

i did manage to get the first shot on the rope the last time i tried. the second shot landed right next to the first. would have been good if the rope was horizontal instead of vertical.

oh well, hope the monsoons come early this year, want that restriction gone asap.

murf

mattm0691
June 30, 2013, 12:00 AM
easy peasey. I'll give it a shot tomorrow morning with my taurus 92

CmdrSlander
July 1, 2013, 02:43 AM
results:

Winner, service class: F-111 John
Winner, target class: MrBorland

The contest is closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Second Quarter 2013 Centerfire Handgun Match | Cheating the Gallows" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!