The commercial account "Fix"

PDA

blarby
April 2, 2013, 01:01 AM
So, its been a while now.

Just curious- at last count it looked like we had 6 "commercial" members.

Is this having the desired effect/ Was it worth the effort and discussion ?

If you enjoyed reading about "The commercial account "Fix"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
April 2, 2013, 08:36 AM
Dunno- do we still have 0 post "members" with multiple for sale threads a month? I'm guessing we don't.

blarby
April 2, 2013, 02:12 PM
Lemme look !

blarby
April 2, 2013, 02:15 PM
Well I was able to find 3 with less than 5 posts pretty quickly- does that count ? :D

Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of the commercial tag- I thought it was to make those who used THR as an extension of their gun sales counter pay for the priviledge.

Thats what the discussion looked like to me- but for some reason I can't locate the thread any longer.

I was not aware that the intent was to keep those with a low post count from posting trade threads, that would have been a much simpler fix, wouldn'tve it ?

I mean- don't get me wrong- I know THR isn't a democracy or anything- and that we don't really get a vote "per se"... It just seemed like much ado about nothing.

Its great to have a commercial section- but it looks like the ammo counter at wal mart : 4 really big shelves with 3 boxes of .270 win and a 3 year old box of 20ga #9 shot :/

Personally brisk trade is the sign of a healthy community- I think we still have a good flow of trade by the look of the non-commercial threads.

But when trading I mainly hang out in the components section- not the firearms or accessories section- maybe someone who frequents those can state the effect of this division on their favorite trade section better.

It does not appear to have a substantial effect on those who are just here to make money, I know it has an effect on those who are here to contribute AND trade frequently.

And yes, I'll fess up to being one of those people it has an effect on. I'm just wondering what the upside to that downside actually is.

9mmepiphany
April 2, 2013, 02:43 PM
The upside, as I see it, is dispelling the illusion for some members who don't think they are taking advantage of the Trading Post without being part of discussions...folks who don't see that having only 500 discussion post out of a total of 3000+ post is out of the ordinary.

I had hoped it would be a wake up call, when folks bumped up against the 12 post total, that maybe they were really using the Trading Post commercially...or at least more than the median. Judging from e-mails to the webmaster site, I seem to have underestimated the power of denial

blarby
April 2, 2013, 02:50 PM
And if somebody were selling more than 12 firearms per year- I could totally see that.

I'd say at that point they would need an FFL03, and should be a paying commercial member, as someone who is actually at that point in the business of buying and selling firearms.

I totally understood the part about firearms themselves, and even to a lesser extent the bandaid and survival food hawking folks- those who were motivated solely for profit, and not in the spirit of preparedness and giving as a whole, which a lot of those folks are.

But, you aren't the only person who has brought up the post count ratio, or at least post count total.

I know that other sites using Vbulletin have a post count minimum for buy/sell threads...but alas, that boat has sailed, and the change has already been implemented via the commercial accounts threads- I could've seen a minimum of 1000 or 1500 posts as a strong indicator that someone is contributing in earnest....not just bunk posting to get above a measly 100 post cap for trading.

It just seems odd that out of 180k members- we appear to have 6 commercial accounts.

Thats a ratio thats out of "normal" when you consider that this was the solution to what was presented as a widespread problem.

If this was all about 6 individuals, it would seem that either a case by case approach might have seemed more appropriate- or that the threshold for commerce is somehow.... incorrect.

9mmepiphany
April 2, 2013, 03:11 PM
I personally thought the threshold was set rather high.

This isn't about the 6 who have stepped up, it is about all the others who haven't. We're even having folks who are trying work arounds now...we are not only taking a dim view of that, we're taking serious action against it

blarby
April 2, 2013, 04:03 PM
Well, one thing that could be offering some resistance is the fact that something is apparently not working correctly- or perhaps I missed something.

I was told that you would be allowed one new trading thread per month, and that these would fall off on a rotating basis- allowing one new post per month... is that correct ?

9mmepiphany
April 2, 2013, 04:14 PM
Not exactly, it is a rotating time frame as the earliest thread expires. You're allowed 12 new threads, in each Trading Post forum, per 525,600 minutes...you can post as often as you'd like.

Derek Zeanah
April 2, 2013, 04:32 PM
Not exactly, it is a rotating time frame as the earliest thread expires. You're allowed 12 new threads, in each Trading Post forum, per 525,600 minutes...you can post as often as you'd like.
Right. We talked about one thread per month, and got some complaints that when folks sell, they sell a few at a time. So we changed it to 12 per year, which is essentially the same thing but gives more flexibility.

blarby
April 2, 2013, 04:36 PM
Ok, so you made it 12 posts per year- trapping everyone who made more posts than that in the previous 12 months with the revised, revised version of the policy.

I understand now.

I did apparently miss that. It went from one per month, to 12 per year- but no one knows what the cutoff date for starting that count was... thats why a lot of folks are trapped ( myself included)- and could explain that uptick in webmaster requests........

9mmepiphany
April 2, 2013, 04:47 PM
It wasn't a trap and there isn't a cut off date. It is 525,600 mins between the first of the 12 threads and being able to post another...more that 12 can not exist in that time period.

It isn't a matter of webmaster request, they aren't requesting anything. What they are doing is denying that their prolific threads makes them a Commercial seller. A quick look at their posting history usually exposes that lie quite easily.

blarby
April 2, 2013, 04:52 PM
It wasn't an intentional trap, but thats unfortunately what happened.

In my case - the threads that occured from before this policy came into effect are currently preventing me from posting a new thread.

I get it- I understand.

Thanks for the clarification, again !

I guess its setup now how ya'll want it- and at least thats public.

FWIW- a sticky exactly explaining the "new, new" policy might help- as I know these tech support threads get deleted regularly.

It would have helped me, at least.

But thanks for your input, I'm sure the number of commercial members will increase as the year goes on.

If you enjoyed reading about "The commercial account "Fix"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!