Pocket 9s

PDA

kBob
April 2, 2013, 10:35 AM
Dropped by a local pawn shop yesterday. Finally got to at least fondle some of the ittie bittie 9s. Got to handle them side by side and even drop them in my carry pocket where a little P32 KelTec usually rides.

Got to try the berretta, S&W, KelTec, and Ruger.

Dang, just dang. Why did I do this when one of the cars needs a new clutch, there is a medical problem in the house, and the kids school tuitions are due? Getting a new bit of pocket artillery ain't gonna happen.

I liked the Beretta and the Kel Tec best in my little non shooting no walking around and pointless"test" though the Ruger certainly was un noticeable in the front right trouser pocket.

Some unfortunately came with but one magazine, though one had two floor plates to choose from.

-kBob

If you enjoyed reading about "Pocket 9s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TarDevil
April 2, 2013, 10:41 AM
Have you shot any of those itty bitty nines?

Shipwreck
April 2, 2013, 10:48 AM
I am a huge Beretta fan, but don't care for the feel of teh NANO. Too high of a bore axis.

I've owned svereal small guns over the years... SOme were not that fun to shoot, so that meant I didn't practice with them much.

All that changed when I found the new M&P Shield. For such a small gun, the recoil is not that much. I have no idea how they managed that, but it shoots like a much bigger gun.

So, some of the smaller guns are very, very nice.

Jonah71
April 2, 2013, 10:50 AM
I bought the Ruger LC9. Traded it back in within a few weeks. I'm not exactly an expert marksman so this was, for me anyway, another foolish impulse buy.

Orion8472
April 2, 2013, 10:58 AM
Though not technically "pocket"-able, . . . depending on the size of the pocket, . . . I'm still holding out for the release of the XDs in 9mm. I bet it would ride pretty comfortably in a cargo pant pocket.

SDGlock23
April 2, 2013, 11:05 AM
You didn't mention it, but the Kahr CM9 is awesome. I had one and it shot great, had low recoil and was very accurate. Good price too.

Water-Man
April 2, 2013, 11:15 AM
Kahr PM9/CM9.

Shipwreck
April 2, 2013, 11:30 AM
I had a PM9 (with night sights) for several years. I sold it the first week I had my Shield. I have 2k rounds thru the Shield now. FANTASTIC gun. I like it much more than the Kahrs.

VBVAGUY
April 2, 2013, 12:34 PM
The lightest and thinnest pocketable 9mm is the Diamondback DB9. I hope this helps. God Bless :)

jrdolall
April 2, 2013, 01:28 PM
The Diamondback DB9 and the Keltec PF9 are good as far as "fitting" in my normal jeans or khaki front pocket. Both are snappy and I don't enjoy shooting 50 rounds in a range session. Then again I need the gun to be easy to conceal and easy to use. Both are designed to be used in SD situations which are generally within 10 yards and at that distance I am relatively accurate with minimal practice. I have 9mm handguns that are more pleasant to shoot but they don't fit in my pocket. I have average size hands and the smaller guns really need the grip extension to fit my hand comfortably.

Cocked & Locked
April 2, 2013, 08:30 PM
PF9 works for me. Got in the back pocket of my Carhartt bib overalls at this moment...in a Sideguard pocket holster.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/6263277/403297839.jpg

toivo
April 2, 2013, 08:33 PM
I have the Kel-Tec PF9 and the Beretta Nano. Kel-Tec carries better, Beretta is easier to shoot, IMO.

Chris-bob
April 2, 2013, 08:56 PM
I carry my KelTec everywhere. Easy to carry and conceal. I too am hoping for the XDs 9mm...

MedWheeler
April 2, 2013, 10:48 PM
I carry the Kel-Tec, and have since early 2010. But, I carry it in an OWB holster, not in a pocket. I mostly wear jeans, and it does print pretty well in one of those pockets, a little less so if I swap the magazine for the flat-bottomed one.
None of these "pocket-nines" has a reputation for being a pleasant shooter. The Kel-Tec and the Diamondback are probably the least-pleasant, as they have the slimmest grips and lowest weights. I cannot speak for the DB, but the PF9 is still easy to manage and place shots with.

It's rare that I need pocket-carry, and my P32 fills that role when I do.

C0untZer0
April 3, 2013, 12:10 AM
I'm happy with the Rohrbaugh R9

Rohrbaugh R9
Caliber:9mm
Barrel:2.9in
Length:5.2in
Height:3.7in
Weight:13.5oz
Capacity:6+1 Rounds

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=692288&highlight=rohrbaugh

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=176858&stc=1&d=1356847472
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=181765&stc=1&d=1363999165

bannockburn
April 3, 2013, 12:12 AM
I have found the Kahr PM9 to be the most comfortable to carry and use among the pocket 9s out there. I tried the KelTec PF9 but never felt it was a good fit ergonomically and I wasn't all that thrilled with the trigger action either. Looked at the Beretta Nano and the Kahr PM9 at the same time and came away feeling that the PM9 had the more comfortable grip between the two and had a better overall feel and balance to it.

mdauben
April 3, 2013, 11:52 AM
I had a PM9 (with night sights) for several years. I sold it the first week I had my Shield. I have 2k rounds thru the Shield now. FANTASTIC gun. I like it much more than the Kahrs.

I was giving the Shield serious thought, but I can't get past the thumb safety. All my other SD semiautos are Glocks, and I'm afraid I'll end up pulling the gun and forgetting to take off the pesky little safety. :(

jrdolall
April 3, 2013, 01:25 PM
I was giving the Shield serious thought, but I can't get past the thumb safety. All my other SD semiautos are Glocks, and I'm afraid I'll end up pulling the gun and forgetting to take off the pesky little safety.
Same here. I am not opposed to safeties AT ALL but I feel that it is one more thing I might need to worry about if I ever actually need to use my gun in an SD situation. With my pocket guns I just prefer to have no safety.

oneounceload
April 3, 2013, 01:36 PM
Another vote for the Kahr cm9 - only because the Rohrbaugh is out of my budget - it is smaller than the Ruger and hides a bit better - although not as well as my 642. The roundness of the revolver blends in better than the flat shape of any semi, and unless you want to go to a 380 Seecamp, the Kahr is a great 9 pocket rocket

C0untZer0
April 3, 2013, 01:43 PM
I know the PM9 line has models with and without a safety.

I tried to operate the safety, it was not a simple thumb flick, it was was more like you had to dial the safety off.

I tried it a few times and realized it would take lots and lots and lots of training and practice before I could ever use it quickly enough for it to be of any use as a SD firearm. I remember thinking that in the time it would take me to dial the safety off, I'd probably be grappling with an assailant or worse - stabbed or shot.

My experience with safeties and pocket pistols is that if the safeties are designed so they don't snag - that same design usually makes them difficult to use, and the safteies that are big and easy to use can snag on the pocket on the way out... just my opinion.

I think the PM9 without the safety is a very fine pocket pistol, I think the stock trigger is OK, and if anyone doesn't like it, the trigger can be changed / improved for not too much money.

snooperman
April 3, 2013, 03:28 PM
I like my brothers PM9. If i were interested in a pocket gun , I would probably get the PM9. For now, I will stay with my Colt 6 shot magnum carry IWB.

MCgunner
April 3, 2013, 03:50 PM
Though not technically "pocket"-able, . . . depending on the size of the pocket, . . . I'm still holding out for the release of the XDs in 9mm. I bet it would ride pretty comfortably in a cargo pant pocket.

Not sure why it's not "pocketable". The XDs is no bigger, from what I've seen, than my 14 ounce double stack Kel Tec P11 and I've been pocketing that in my front pocket for 17 years now.

Orion8472
April 3, 2013, 04:57 PM
Well, . . . . then that's my input. A 9mm XDs. :)

ETXhiker
April 3, 2013, 05:07 PM
I kept looking at a Beretta Nano, but I was holding out for a Shield. I already have a S&W 3913 and I was looking for sometime small to carry. When I finally got to handle a Shield, I realized it was almost the size of my trusty 3913. So...I bought the Nano. I love it! Perfect function so far, accurate and feels good to me, for such a tiny pistol. I also liked that I didn't have to pay $150 above MSRP for it.

I also like the Sig 938. May have to get one of those too :D

mdauben
April 3, 2013, 05:33 PM
Same here. I am not opposed to safeties AT ALL but I feel that it is one more thing I might need to worry about if I ever actually need to use my gun in an SD situation. With my pocket guns I just prefer to have no safety.

Exactly! I don't have anything against guns with safeties, but I want that common "manual of arms" on all my SD handguns so there's no fumbling during an emergency. All guns with safeties or all guns without safeties.

dtalley
April 3, 2013, 05:39 PM
I have the Kahr CM9 and like it alot.. My Friend just picked up the Nano and I also like it alot. Both are shooter and easy to carry.

dbp
April 3, 2013, 07:12 PM
Love my Nano. Took around 300 rds for the FTE problems to go away, but they have.

fxstchewy
April 3, 2013, 08:21 PM
My CM9 has been 100% for me so far and it's pretty accurate too. :)

kellmark
April 3, 2013, 11:55 PM
I looked at a bunch of the small 9's.

The Kahrs were high on my list, but the PM9 was way too expensive, and the CM9 had the silver finish which I don't like for a pocketable carry gun, and it only came with one magazine. Also they have a recommended break in period, from what I have read.

The S&W Shield was a little too big for pocket carry. Not saying I wouldn't want one anyway at some point, they have had such great reviews.

The Walther PPS wasn't quite as small as I wanted.

The Ruger LC9 was too big for me and too many safeties, loaded chamber indicators, etc., and from what I have read, the trigger is not the best.

I also hear that the PF9 Keltec doesn't have a very good trigger.

So I came to the Beretta Nano. It fits in my pocket, is black, which I like, has a very smooth outline with no obstructions, comes with two mags, and it felt good in my hand. The trigger is like a reasonably light double action revolver, which works good for me., And it was a reasonable price. So I got it. It shoots well for me, and I am very happy with it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pocket 9s" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!