Doing research for a future gunsmithing project

PDA

shevrock
April 2, 2013, 03:15 PM
I have been digging around for a few hours and have come up with little to no information on modern revolver rifles save the rossi cicuit judge. It's an amazing rifle all told, but i want something with a little more umph. So i was wondering about the legality, and maybe some of the technical issues, of making a .357 revolver into a rifle. I know a bolt, lever, or semi-auto would fill any roles this rifle would play much better, but i just like the look of the cylinder on a long rifle. So...any advice?

If you enjoyed reading about "Doing research for a future gunsmithing project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
firesky101
April 2, 2013, 03:24 PM
From a legal standpoint you need at 16" or greater barrel if you put a buttstock on it. Unless you want to file a tax stamp, and SBR it. If you look at a circuit judge up close you will notice a pretty good sized shield covering the front of the cylinder. This prevents the gasses escaping from cutting your arm. So you need a shield, or a gas seal system like the nagant revolver. They make a circuit judge in .44mag now if you want some umph as you say.

45_auto
April 2, 2013, 03:45 PM
You can see what the gases from the revolver flash gap do to paper in this Hickok45 video. You don't want them able to get to your arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFBAcz16GvU

shevrock
April 4, 2013, 10:47 AM
I didn't know the judge came in 44 mag now. I've been without internet besides occasional trips to McDonalds for the last year or so. So sixteen inch barrel and some kind of shield noted. Anything else I should watch out for?

BCRider
April 4, 2013, 12:25 PM
The proper way to hold the old cap & ball and later cartridge revolver carbines was to keep both hands back by the trigger guard so the side ejected gases and any lead fragments do not hit your arm. The Circuit Judge gets around that by adding a shield. The only issue is that I'd be wondering which way the shield re-directs this stuff.

If you can get around the barrel issue legality thing or just pay the SBR tax then adapting a SAA revolver over to a rifle stock would be the easier option. The SAA guns have the grip frame which is removable. You'd need to produce a new frame which mounts in the same manner and which housed a different style of mainspring . But such things are certainly doable.

As an example of what it would look like check out the Uberti revolver carbine. Notice that the carbine has an extra hook off the trigger guard. That was to provide a spot for the support hand to get a better hold since you really don't want your support hand out in front of the cylinder's front face for the reasons already mentioned.

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/revolver-carbine-and-buntline.php

A Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk modified in this way would be a pretty amazing close in hunter. And having the transfer bar system it would be a safe gun for carrying around with all 6 chambers loaded. The trick would be finding a longer barrel or barrel black that could be set up to mount in the frame.

A double action gun modified in this way would be fascinating as well. The only issue there is that the Ruger or S&W gun would require some significant "blacksmithing" to cut and form the tangs and new mainspring mount points. And the other issue that any longer barrel to avoid the SBR tax would require enough meat on it that you could form the underlug needed for the front catch. Or such a lug would need to be welded/brazed/screw mounted to a smaller size.

barnbwt
April 4, 2013, 09:31 PM
http://matebafan.com/mtr/photo20large.jpg
Biiiig closeup of the Mateba MTR-8 carbine, because it's really obvious how the mad-scientist Emilio Ghisoni shielded users from the blast of (I believe) 38 specials. Though "Planet of the Apes," it looks pretty darn handy, with its <16" barrel (no-no here in the States)

http://matebafan.com/unica/photo12large.jpg
The Grifone, the carbine version of Mateba's autorevolver the Unica 6. My guess is you had to be careful of your forearm if shooting, since 357 to 454 Casull gas looks to be coming straight out of that gap. Probably a bit rough on the wood forestock, too. I have no idea how a recoil-operated pistol functions with a barrel that long, especially considering even the pistols required magnum loads to cycle properly.

And this guy, for good measure, this guy:
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6550/1187672633539vc6.jpg
Not sure what the tactical Thermos on the rail is all about, but the rest of the gun looks pretty cool (and comfy, too).

TCB

shevrock
April 5, 2013, 11:52 AM
Neat pictures. I was thinking of something like the knights armament rifle on the bottom. I think that was based off of a ruger blackhawk.

If you enjoyed reading about "Doing research for a future gunsmithing project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!