USPSA Limited 10

PDA

Dryft
April 2, 2013, 08:09 PM
Hey folks,

This was briefly brought up in another thread, but I'm going to give the USPSA thing a whirl, and my current pistol puts me into Limited 10.

What sort of equipment, holsters, etc should I be looking into? Running a bull barreled 1911 in 10mm.

Thanks.

D.

If you enjoyed reading about "USPSA Limited 10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hoser
April 2, 2013, 08:27 PM
In Limited-10 your holster choices are wide open and you can put your mag pouches wherever you want.

I prefer Comp-Tac and Blade-Tech regular old kydex holsters over more "Racy" holsters like CR Speed or Ghost.

I also like Safariland 771 mag pouches.

Get a few fistfulls of Tripp mags and hit the range.

Jon_Snow
April 2, 2013, 08:45 PM
I'll second the Blade-Tech suggestion, especially since even their Speed-Rig (which is what I have) is half the price of a CR. I run the Blade-Tech mag holders in Single Stack, but I use the DAA Racer holders for my L10 gun (which is double stack). The DAA ones are pricier, but allow you to mount the mags at an angle which is much more comfortable for seated or crouched shooting. If you handload, you might want to reduce your loads to ~170 PF, full power 10mm will be a disadvantage. Other than that, make sure you know the rules, work on your reloads, check out dawsonprecision.com and brianenos.com, make sure to bring work gloves and a lunch, and say hello to a whole new shooting world. It's a ton of fun.

Mat, not doormat
April 2, 2013, 08:57 PM
I'll second the Blade-Tech suggestion, especially since even their Speed-Rig (which is what I have) is half the price of a CR. I run the Blade-Tech mag holders in Single Stack, but I use the DAA Racer holders for my L10 gun (which is double stack). The DAA ones are pricier, but allow you to mount the mags at an angle which is much more comfortable for seated or crouched shooting. If you handload, you might want to reduce your loads to ~170 PF, full power 10mm will be a disadvantage. Other than that, make sure you know the rules, work on your reloads, check out dawsonprecision.com and brianenos.com, make sure to bring work gloves and a lunch, and say hello to a whole new shooting world. It's a ton of fun.
I was dying to be able to say: "You know nothing, Jon Snow." But I can't. He nailed it.

esheato
April 2, 2013, 09:39 PM
I'll buck the trend I suppose.

I have a Bladetech also and they're great stuff, but I use a Ghost holster in Limited. Lightning fast, easy and minimal size/weight.

Dryft
April 3, 2013, 03:12 PM
Great suggestions on the holsters folks! Thank you.

Now, the big question: how many 10 round magazines am I going to need?

Any additional advice would be great! Thanks again.

ny32182
April 3, 2013, 03:56 PM
5 on the belt and 1 in the gun is what Production tends to run, and they are 10 round capacity as well.

Jon_Snow
April 3, 2013, 06:04 PM
5 on the belt and 1 in the gun is what Production tends to run, and they are 10 round capacity as well.

That's what I run as do most of the L10 shooters near me. I've yet to need all of those mags, but it's good to know that if I fumble a reload, a mag fails, etc, I'm not SOL.

Dryft
April 4, 2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks again for the advice! Holster and mag racks have been ordered.

Here's the big question though:

Belt?

I really like the Ares Gear Ranger Belt, but it's a bit pricey. The Wilderness Original Instructor belt seems like a classic, and is half the price. In third place would be the 5.11 Tactical Trainer belt.

Thoughts? Other recommendations?

Thanks!

waktasz
April 5, 2013, 11:02 AM
You are going to want a double style belt like the CR Speed or DAA.

http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/Double%252dAlpha-%28DAA%29-Competition-Belt.html

Jon_Snow
April 5, 2013, 02:13 PM

http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/Double%252dAlpha-%28DAA%29-Competition-Belt.html

+1

Not having to worry about your belt loops getting in the way of your gear is nice. Knowing that everything will be in EXACTLY the same spot every time is crucial. This is extra true with things like the DAA racer mag pouches, because they are meant to be permanently attached.

mgmorden
April 6, 2013, 08:07 PM

http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/D...tion-Belt.html

Another +1. I'm currently running a Double Alpha but I used one of the $30 "IPSC" belts off Ebay for a long time and it worked fine (I still keep it as a backup). Just not as much of a variety in sizes for those.

For a long time I noticed some other Production shooters wearing mag pouches WAY further back than they would seem to need to. Kinda was curious about that until I noticed all those guns were wearing "through the loop" belts and the loops were in the way of the optimal placement for the pouch.

If you enjoyed reading about "USPSA Limited 10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!