Recoil pad problem

PDA

bigdogpete
April 2, 2013, 10:43 PM
Suggestions on what to do with a recoil pad that has lost some of its give on recoil.

It is on a 43 year old Win. Mod. 770 300 win. mag. so it does have a little recoil.

My question is: Is there anyway to soften the recoil pad up or will I need to replace? Any suggestions would be appreciated, shy of getting a different gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil pad problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kennymauser
April 2, 2013, 11:56 PM
Replace it!!!!!

BBBBill
April 3, 2013, 12:39 AM
Yep. Get a new pad.

FROGO207
April 3, 2013, 09:28 PM
There are several companies that make exact fit replacements or offer grind to fit pads. Limb Saver and Pachmeyer are two I would look into for your rifle if it was mine. If you grind to fit put it in the freezer to make the rubber hard when grinding-----lots easier.:)

Clark
April 4, 2013, 02:46 PM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/Buttpadsgonewild5-17-2012.jpg

I put the largest thickest grin to fit Limbsaver recoil pad on belted magnums.... and then I no longer grind them.

I just leave them large for more area.

A 9.5 pound with scope 338 Win Mag shooting 250 gr at 2600 fps can be shot all day like a .243.

bigdogpete
April 4, 2013, 11:04 PM
Very good information.

Thanks,

rcmodel
April 4, 2013, 11:10 PM
Clark.

That right there just ain't right!! :D

Way too Bubba looking for my tastes.
Form trumps Function on a classic gun stock every time!

But if Function over Form helps you sleep at night?
I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

rc

Clark
April 4, 2013, 11:50 PM
http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx220/ClarkM/257RobertsAckleyimprovedrimmed1885fallingblockrifltbuiltinOct2012andused10-25-2012.jpg
I get grief every day from friends that want guns to be jewelry.
The rifle I built for 2012 had the over sized recoil pad, and a for stock made of cedar with pellet gun holes in it.
The for stock covered up the Aluminum tube that was the bi pod support strut.
I did not use an 1885 lever return spring, I just relied on the hammer spring.
The scope mount I made from Aluminum and did not paint it.
Strictly jalopy.

If you enjoyed reading about "Recoil pad problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!