Custom Ruger 77 rifles

PDA

goon
April 3, 2013, 01:20 AM
I've read a lot about customizations to the Remington 700 and Winchester Model 70, and also a lot about bolt action military surplus rifles being customized. But I haven't read much about Ruger Model 77's being gunsmithed or customized. Is there a reason for this?
Any of you ladies or gents out there own a customized Model 77? What's been done to it?
Any insight would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom Ruger 77 rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
juk
April 3, 2013, 03:00 AM
I believe that it has something to do with an action screw being angled, making the rifle difficult to properly bed. Also, the aftermarket isn't really there for the M77 line like it is for the Savages and Remingtons. I've got a M77 heavy barrel 308 made in 1984 that is a very good shooter. Factory trigger is pretty dang nice. I floated the barrel to a few inches from the action and send the barreled action to be Cryo treated. I don't expect this gun to shoot bugholes. It will put every bullet within a 1 1/4" circle (including cold-bore shots) at 100 yards though, and will ring the gong all day at 350.

goon
April 3, 2013, 04:57 AM
The M77 action seems very tough to me and has CRF, so from that standpoint I really like it. I've thought that if I could find one cheap enough as a project gun, maybe I could have some work done.
But I did know already that they're not known for accuracy.

jmr40
April 3, 2013, 08:44 AM
Not many custom parts available. There are very few options for a quality aftemarket stock.

Ruger are tough as nails working rifles, usually bought by people who are not interested in custom features. One of my favorite rifles and I'd like to see more options for them.

ironworkerwill
April 3, 2013, 09:56 AM
I am the kinda guy who thinks things can always be better untill I reach the threshold of deminishing returns. Now, that being said, I won't change a thing about my M77. The fit, function, feel, and weight are perfect for its job. And it looks good. M77s' are not commonly sought for precision. My rifle is a 7mm-08 mountain, youth, compact or what ever it's called shoots consistantly 1.25 three shot groups and the first cold bore shot is dead nuts. I love hunting with it.

Dthunter
April 3, 2013, 02:37 PM
I have customized two different Ruger M77, Mark 1's.
I love the shiny black finish on the actions! I lapped the lugs to near 100% contact. Removed the factory barrels( the source of the bad accuracy reputation). Installed a barrel i myself made in 25-06 Rem. on one action, and .270 Winchester on the other.
The 270 barrel was a Krieger match barrel.

They shoot great! I love the rifles! I just have to get a quality custom stock built for them now. Nothing money cant fix! SIGH!!
Some day........

hardluk1
April 3, 2013, 06:49 PM
Problem with getting a ruger done right is just finding a great old mauser smithy willing to make or modify the tooling/jigs he needs for the ruger. Less and less good afordable master gunsmith every year.

I have a first year stainless steel model 77MKII that sporting a krieger 27" 7mm RM barrel . Older Boyd's JR stock thats blocked and bedded and a timney trigger set at 1 1/2lbs. Been my clear cut hunter for 15 years and still a sub 2" 400 yard rifle and thats probably all my fault today. Solid 1" rifle with handloads when new , 2" with hornady factory ammo. Still have some old ammo too

This was I think a bargin 900 dollar rifle from Herbs gun shop. Passed away 2 years ago

Pods only on for the photo
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l444/hardluk1/th_104_0641.jpg (http://s331.photobucket.com/user/hardluk1/media/104_0641.jpg.html)

jeepmor
April 3, 2013, 07:07 PM
It's like Toyota vs Nissan. Sure, Nissan may make a better base truck by the 4 wheel discs and more power argument, but try anything aftermarket for a Nissan compared to a Toyota.

goon
April 4, 2013, 01:49 AM
I'm wanting just a plain, but excellent, hunting rifle that will do around MOA and still be working long after I've turned to dust.
I love Rugers and think the M77 is a pretty solid starting point for that. Which is why I started this discussion...

Thanks for the insight.

Silverado6x6
April 4, 2013, 06:42 AM
There was a skeletonized stock on a stainless Ruger 77 Mk II years ago, I don't know if they sell them anymore but when I bought one a .338WM I removed the stock and replaced it with a Hogue Overmolded rubber coated full rail embedded fiberglass stock, perfect fit and balance. Its a great rifle and offers super strong scope mounts with the machined dovetails.

juk
April 4, 2013, 08:53 PM
One thing about Rugers, they are built very well and should last a very long time as long as you dont abuse them. The new ones are quite accurate and there is still an aftermarket for them. Just don't expect to find parts for them anywhere. Also, i'm willing to bet that a new box stock Ruger will still shoot right around MOA with decent ammo. You don't need 1/2" groups to kill a deer.

If I was in the market for a new hunting rifle, I would go with a new Ruger, Winchester, or CZ.

68wj
April 4, 2013, 11:50 PM
Nothing fancy, but my 77 mated to a walnut, montecarlo Fajen stock and some trigger work is very nice to shoot. :)

TwoEyedJack
April 5, 2013, 12:09 AM
I got an M77 Mark II stainless synthetic in .338 win mag about 6 years ago. It is extremely accurate with Federal factory ammo with the 250 gr. Nosler Partition. Mine has the normal stock, not the one that looked like a canoe paddle. I cannot think of one thing I would want for it that is not available. In fact, I have been thinking of putting a Boyd's laminated wood stock on it to make it a bit heavier to control the recoil.

If I were in the market for a new big game hunting rifle, the Hawkeye would be at the top of the list.

Still Shooting
April 7, 2013, 01:24 AM
Between us, my wife and I have 3 Ruger 77's.

My go-to hunting rifle is a tang safety 77 in .257 Roberts, stock except for a Timney trigger. It shoots a little better than 1/2 moa at 100yds. with Nosler 115gr. ballistic tips pushed by 36.0gr. of IMR 8208XBR, and right on 1/2moa with Partitions.

My Ruger 77 Mk II in .270win is also a 1/2 moa rifle, with 150gr. Partitions and 53gr. of IMR 4350. It also has a Timney trigger installed, set at 3.3lb.

My wife's Ruger 77 Mk II Ultralight in .243win also shoots an honest 1/2 moa at 100; its favorite load is a 90gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip in front of 40.5gr. of IMR 4831. And yes, another Timney trigger, set at 3.5lb.

I set my triggers at about 3.2-3.5 lb. pull because we often need gloves when deer hunting in my part of the world, and that's as light as I want 'em with gloves on - safety consideration.

The .270 is the only rifle that shot as it does now "out of the box"; the other two needed some tinkering with the barrel bedding (all are wood factory stocks). The .257 bob also needed some action bedding work after installing the Timney (PITA with the tang safety!)

These guns were 1-2.5 moa shooters out-of-the-box; as a gun nut friend of mine says, "Ruger 77's are great rifles, BUT most of 'em need a little fussing to get 'em to shoot right." -So true! But then, there's a lot of fun to be had reloading, spending range time, tinkering with the rifle, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom Ruger 77 rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!