New range rules. kinda limiting

PDA

anothernewb
April 3, 2013, 11:52 AM
New sign up at the local range. 800fps max.

Apparently there's alot of damage to the back stop. For the most part it won't affect my 38's and 45's but this kinda totally wipes out the 40 and 9mm shooters.

Hopefully this is a limited thing for a backstop repair or improvement. Our range is extraordinarily inexpensive to shoot at, but with that cost comes some equipment limits. It isn't the nicest range ever, but it's there and that's worth a lot. However, with the administrations war on guns, we've got something like 800 new members - for a town of 10,000 - that's a significant percentage of the population. Hopefully the influx means that there's some more money for improvements.

I'd easily pay double our annual fees to make improvements - but there are a lot of very tight-fisted individuals in my area. Upping the price might very well drive them away. Not to bash the old timers - but the days are gone when coffee was 25c and a bottomless cup. Maybe it's just my perception of the value of things - but doubling the membership cost to from $25 to $50 a year isn't gonna kill me.

If you enjoyed reading about "New range rules. kinda limiting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Certaindeaf
April 3, 2013, 11:55 AM
Dang, that range sucks. Can't even shoot a .22 there.

Hunterdad
April 3, 2013, 11:56 AM
Well, I bet they lose some members because of the fps limit. It's a double edged sword, they can't make everyone happy.

holdencm9
April 3, 2013, 11:57 AM
That is very limiting. What kind of backstop can't handle 9mm? That also rules out .22 rimfire too! The indoor range I go to has a limit of 3300 fps if I recall correctly.

Ryanxia
April 3, 2013, 11:59 AM
That's ridiculous.

Certaindeaf
April 3, 2013, 11:59 AM
Mine is "no magnums".. meaning around 13-1400fps max. No rifles except .22's are allowed.. .no magnums though.

Arkansas Paul
April 3, 2013, 12:01 PM
Wow. My range has a 1k fps limit for the steel targets at the cowboy action range, but that's understandable. An 800 fps limit is crazy. I would call someone and clarify. Maybe it's a typo. Surely.

c4v3man
April 3, 2013, 12:08 PM
Maybe they should stop using Reynolds Wrap for a backstop...

anothernewb
April 3, 2013, 12:26 PM
I should have been a bit more clear - they're allowing rimfire. That would absolutely kill the range. but no rifles save for .22 I guess someone brought a .223 and it holed the backstop. Our backstop is an angled plate over a pile of sand IIRC.

Apparently there is some concern over the amount of shrapnel that is bouncing back. I guess there's getting to be quite a bit

blueskyjaunte
April 3, 2013, 12:34 PM
:what: Is this place in someone's backyard? 800fps for center fire is cowboy action territory only. I think they need to spend a few dollars on renovating their backstop.

anothernewb
April 3, 2013, 12:38 PM
lol, it kinda is in a backyard. it's a renovated building that was bought from the city- and there are houses within 200'

Certaindeaf
April 3, 2013, 12:49 PM
Well I can about guarantee you that a 900 fps'er (or even a whole lot faster) didn't hole that steel. lolz

mdauben
April 3, 2013, 12:50 PM

Kinda limiting? That's downright insane! I have airguns with more muzzle velocity that that. The "slowest" rounds I shoot are .45ACP WWB, and they are factory listed as 835 FPS! Sounds like time to find a new range. :scrutiny:

mrvco
April 3, 2013, 01:09 PM
Are you sure someone didn't confuse FEET per second with METERS per second?

IF they really do mean FPS, then it is time to buy an Airsoft gun.

tomrkba
April 3, 2013, 01:32 PM
800 FPS means I could not shoot 45 ACP.

doubling the membership cost to from $25 to $50 a year isn't gonna kill me

HAHAAHAHAHAHA! I paid nearly $400 for my annual membership at the NRA Range.

If people are quibbling over $25 and the range needs that money to improve then they can do the work themselves.

Inebriated
April 3, 2013, 01:38 PM
So you've got 800 new members.... Try and organize a donation/fund-raiser event that would get the funds to upgrade the backstop. If everyone donates a few bucks, you will have a nice backstop in no time.

cologuy
April 3, 2013, 02:14 PM
If the problem is "shrapnel" coming back at the shooters, suggest that they install rubber mats (several companies make them) a foot or so in front of the plate. The bullets go through them OK, shatter on the plate, and the resulting low-velocity shrapnel can't penetrate the rubber. Our indoor range uses this, and it works great, we've got very little limitation on types of ammo, and it's only a 50' range. The rubber mats are (comparatively) cheap, too.

RetiredUSNChief
April 3, 2013, 02:35 PM

Apparently there's alot of damage to the back stop. For the most part it won't affect my 38's and 45's but this kinda totally wipes out the 40 and 9mm shooters.

800 fps?

Kinda limits the weapons to paint ball guns, low end BB guns, and sling shots, in my opinion.

They need to be a little more forthcoming on the reasons why and when, if known, this limitation will be lifted.

If not, I most certainly wouldn't be going there and giving them my hard earned money.

:scrutiny:

anothernewb
April 3, 2013, 02:45 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens for sure. For me, this will get me to go to one of the meeting to ask some questions. I've never gone to any before, but if enough of the members ask for an explanation, then they'll have to provide one. If they don't, I suspect that there will be more than a few disgruntled people.

I realize that there are going to be limitations on equipment with the budget the club has. I have a feeling that there will be suggestions that the backstop be improved to accommodate common pistol calibers at the minimum. A fundraiser is an interesting idea. I wonder what an improvement to the backstop would cost? there are 10 lanes.

I want to say that I heard our membership doubled after the last election. If that's the case, we should have near 1600 members. say we have 1000 members that stay after the price increase, at $25 a pop, that's 25 grand. Wonder if that would be enough? I know the range needed a new furnace last year - and that was a little over $10 grand.

Arkansas Paul
April 3, 2013, 02:46 PM
So you've got 800 new members.... Try and organize a donation/fund-raiser event that would get the funds to upgrade the backstop. If everyone donates a few bucks, you will have a nice backstop in no time.

Good idea. Heck, if only half of you tossed in five bucks each you'd have $2k for upgrades. That shouldn't be hard to do.

PabloJ
April 3, 2013, 02:48 PM

Hopefully this is a limited thing for a backstop repair or improvement. Our range is extraordinarily inexpensive to shoot at, but with that cost comes some equipment limits. It isn't the nicest range ever, but it's there and that's worth a lot. However, with the administrations war on guns, we've got something like 800 new members - for a town of 10,000 - that's a significant percentage of the population. Hopefully the influx means that there's some more money for improvements.

I'd easily pay double our annual fees to make improvements - but there are a lot of very tight-fisted individuals in my area. Upping the price might very well drive them away. Not to bash the old timers - but the days are gone when coffee was 25c and a bottomless cup. Maybe it's just my perception of the value of things - but doubling the membership cost to from $25 to $50 a year isn't gonna kill me.
Looks like their "bread and butter" will be guys with silencer equipped guns and members of SASS.:scrutiny:

mrvco
April 3, 2013, 02:50 PM
I bet this is your range's idea of an April Fool's Joke.

Carl N. Brown
April 3, 2013, 03:42 PM
Our club has a maintenance fee. You either arrange to do maintenace work (usually under direction of one of the match directors) or you pay a $20 fee (above the annual dues) to help pay for materials.

kludge
April 3, 2013, 04:08 PM
We doubled our membership dues from $50 to $100 and now we have twice as many members and had to implement a membership cap. The "old timers" still get a break because long ago we wrote into our bylaws that over age 70 gets a reduced rate (which is half price). We also double our initiation fee from $25 to $50.

We had to do it. Our property taxes doubled and we needed a new roof on the clubhouse. We've made a several incremental range improvements as well... we also got a FoNRA grant for some of it.

bergmen
April 3, 2013, 07:34 PM
They should be looking at impact energy in ft.lbs., not speed. A 500 grain solid out of a 45/70 at 800 fps will do a heck of a lot more damage than a BB at the same speed.

Dan

sonick808
April 3, 2013, 10:29 PM
doesn't 800 fps rule out....... everything ? save for .45acp, some subsonic loadings and the handful of slow calibers...... good grief you can't even shoot a box stock glock with winchester white 9x19 ammo, the most ubiquitous combo ever.

InkEd
April 3, 2013, 11:22 PM
They need some better equipment.

If you enjoyed reading about "New range rules. kinda limiting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!