No Arizona Elk hunt for me this year...

PDA

Lennyjoe
April 3, 2013, 12:37 PM
Didn't get drawn. Results are out online.

Oh well, time to submit for deer.....

If you enjoyed reading about "No Arizona Elk hunt for me this year..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bobson
April 3, 2013, 01:43 PM
Two of my brothers-in-law also put in for elk, and neither were drawn. Better luck next time, I guess.

1goodshot
April 4, 2013, 08:20 AM
I drew a late bull tag in 4b, had a early tag last year in the same area. Cant believe I drew 2 tags in a row. First tag I got took 9 yrs to get.

Lennyjoe
April 4, 2013, 12:54 PM
Good deal 1goodshot! Enjoy!

NelsErik
April 4, 2013, 12:54 PM
I put in every year for a bull tag for maybe 15 years now and have never got one. Two years ago I put in for a cow as one of my choices and ended up getting it. Last year I put in for all cow hunts and didn't get one. This year I got my first choice. Due to the low probability of getting a bull tag here I ended up buying a small shack on an acre in New Mexico. It is much, much easier to get a bull tag there. In fact this year I now have both a New Mexico bull tag and an Arizona cow tag.

murf
April 4, 2013, 02:48 PM
lennyjoe,

i struck out, too. hope my luck is better with the deer draw.

murf

Bobson
April 5, 2013, 01:00 AM
Nels, I think that's a good way to go. Hope your hunts are successful.

sixgunner455
April 5, 2013, 09:58 AM
I put in with my teenage daughter for her first big-game hunt. We got cow tags for unit 2A and 2B. One of her friends killed one last year during the hunt I went on, and she got pretty excited about it and asked if she could go this year.

So, I guess I'm two in a row, too. But I know plenty of people didn't get anything.

NelsErik
April 5, 2013, 12:08 PM
Does anyone hunt in 23? I haven't been up there for some time. In New Mexico I hunt with a chopped down Mauser in 35 Whelen. It has been really good and none of my shots have been over 200 yards. Unit 23 looks pretty open in some areas, I wonder if I am going to need more range than the Whelen will give me. Any suggestions?

sixgunner455
April 5, 2013, 02:06 PM
NelsErik - why don't you use that .30'06 Savage you got last month? That's what I'd do.

Deer_Freak
April 5, 2013, 02:08 PM
Come to NC. The insurance companies would probably pay for half your gas if you promise to kill seven does.

NelsErik
April 5, 2013, 04:11 PM
I probably will, I still don't have a scope for it. I have been using a Luepold Mark 4 on it, but I would like something a little cheaper on it.

NelsErik
April 5, 2013, 04:20 PM
So no one hunts in 23? I live right next to it but haven't hunted there in years. It has hills and lots of open country in it. I have been pouring over the map and hiked the northwest corner, but getting something back to the road might be interesting. The district office told me that elk can be found through out the entire unit, all the way down to the lake, but that the late winter hunt can be challenging, even for cow hunts.

avs11054
April 5, 2013, 06:30 PM
I've decided that I am only putting in for early season bull from now on. This is the third year in a row that I have put it. I had two group bonus points this year and couldn't even get drawn for cow. When I hear about people getting drawn multiple years in a row for bull, what's the point of wasting bonus points on cow tags when there is a chance you can always get drawn for bull.

NelsErik
April 5, 2013, 06:51 PM
I'm not always sure that I believe everything that I hear when it comes to getting a tag. I tried for a Bull in unit 1 for years and years and never got anything. If you go into the Buffalo, Ox Bow, or Pete's you will meet a lot of guys who always talk about the bulls they got last year in the 350+ range and how they always get drawn. When you actually start to talk to them though and ask them about their gun, their load, and other particulars the stories always fall apart.

I have hunted all over Unit 1 for Deer, Bear, and Antelope and based on what I have seen in that unit (Dad has 43 acres there) few people without guides appear to have clue what they are doing. Tons and tons of rookies driving around on ATV's in the good hunting areas, people hunting on private land, and people showing up mid-week I can't imagine many of them are year-to-year repeat hunters. Maybe I am wrong, but I can't imagine many people getting back-to-back bull tags. I'm sure some people do, but it isn't the norm.

avs11054
April 5, 2013, 07:51 PM
I don't know...obviously I am taking them at their word, but there is no way I am applying for cow next year (or any year after that if I continue to not get drawn) with 3+ bonus points. It just doesn't make since to me to use multiple bonus points for cow when my odds theoretically would improve every year to get a trophy bull hunt.

I know AZ G&F manages the wildlife in order to provide quality hunts, which I will certainly appreciate if I ever have the opportunity to shoot a world-class bull, but it is just frustrating not getting drawn. I grew up in Colorado. I hunted elk and antelope every single year growing up there.

At least I know that when I apply for Kaibab deer, if I don't get drawn, there are always plenty of leftover deer tags elsewhere in the state.

sixgunner455
April 5, 2013, 09:21 PM
I have been using a Luepold Mark 4 on it, but I would like something a little cheaper on it.

I can certainly understand being hesitant to damage an expensive scope out in the hills, but it's a Leupold. They have a lifetime warranty - if you hurt it, they'll fix it. If it's what you want otherwise as far as size/weight/magnification range, I'd not even hesitate to use it. In fact, it would give me more confidence than taking it off and putting something cheaper on the rifle.

Use the best gear you have/can afford, is what I try to do.

murf
April 6, 2013, 10:07 AM
nelserik,

take sixgunners advise. you want the best glass you got on that rifle. when you draw down on a four point, the sun is just peaking over the horizon and all you see is glare through that cheap scope, you will wish for that leupold.

most of your shots will come at dusk or dawn. glare is a big problem.

no experience in unit 23. weather usually determines where the elk will be. just keep asking the people in the area when you go scouting. most will not give out that kind of info, but, you never know when someone will tell you about their favorite spot.

murf

Patocazador
April 6, 2013, 12:38 PM
I traded a Redfield for a Leupold a few years ago. I couldn't get it to center the shots on target. I sent it to Leupold, told them the WHOLE story including the trade and they sent me a new scope because the tube had been bent by the previous owner. THAT IS A WARRANTY!!

flyingfeathers
April 7, 2013, 12:11 PM
I have recently began wondering if things would be better if there was a cooling off period between draws. Say if a hunter drew a big game tag for a species, he would have to sit the the next 1-3 seasons for that species before applying again. The bonus system sort of takes that approach. That way more hunters would not be left out because of mere chance.

NelsErik
April 8, 2013, 12:48 PM
I am looking at the Leupold VX-2 Ultralight 3-9x33mm. Since I got the Savage Lightweight Hunter that only weighs 6 #'s I figure it makes sense to go with a lightweight scope too. The scope weighs 9.3 ounces.

Lennyjoe
April 12, 2013, 11:22 PM
All of my elk have fallen from a 30-06 loaded with 180gr Nosler Partitions over Imr 4350.

If you enjoyed reading about "No Arizona Elk hunt for me this year..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!