Price Gouging - Who is & Who is not?

PDA

Triumph
April 3, 2013, 03:00 PM
Thought it might be helpful to have a list of the online retailers that are price gouging & those who are not.

If gouging is to strong a word you can think of it any way you like - big mark ups, keystoning, etc...

Please spare me the explanation of Supply & Demand. I have a degree in economics & get it. Companies can charge what they want but customers also have LONG memories. :barf:

I am talking about online dealers who hope to stay in the business of reloading supplies.

There are several reputable online dealers that are not significantly raising prices.

Please limit to Online Dealers only & not your LGS.

If you enjoyed reading about "Price Gouging - Who is & Who is not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Havok7416
April 3, 2013, 03:17 PM
This is being accounted for in General Gun Discussions.

Arkansas Paul
April 3, 2013, 03:20 PM
Thought it might be helpful to have a list of the online retailers that are price gouging & those who are not.

While there are a few retailers that I won't do business with because of insane price hikes, let me say. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PRICE GOUGING WHEN TALKING ABOUT NON-ESSENTIAL ITEMS!
Buying things that are not absolutely necessary is a choice. You don't have to buy it, hence, there is no price gouging. It's their right to charge what they won't. By the same token, it is our right to take our business elsewhere.

Triumph
April 3, 2013, 03:48 PM
Havok7416 This is being accounted for in General Gun Discussions.

I should have prefaced that I was referring to reloading supplies.

Havok7416
April 3, 2013, 03:50 PM
I see. Well I'm no help there. I have a large backorder with PV and the rest I have needed I found locally for reasonable prices.

Certaindeaf
April 3, 2013, 03:51 PM
I just love hearing how the gouging scumbags are providing a valuable service.. to their pocketbook.

Triumph
April 3, 2013, 03:59 PM
I forgot to mention I'll start it off by anyone (Bruno's) charging $59.00/1000 primers.

So, which retailers are being very fair about pricing?

Queen_of_Thunder
April 3, 2013, 04:01 PM

If gouging is to strong a word you can think of it any way you like - big mark ups, keystoning, etc...

Please spare me the explanation of Supply & Demand. I have a degree in economics & get it. Companies can charge what they want but customers also have LONG memories. :barf:

I am talking about online dealers who hope to stay in the business of reloading supplies.

There are several reputable online dealers that are not significantly raising prices.

Well if you have a degree in economics like you say then you must remember ECON 101 where supply and demand was introduced. You should also have learned that when any product is in short supply the price increases. Again ECON 101.

What I see is just more complaing about prices from an unprepared person. I will say that I too got caught short but I've managed to add 6,000 rounds of 9mm to my stash these last 3 months and all at prices in the 22 cents to 24 cents a round. Sometimes it was one box of 50 rounds once a week and sometimes it was a bulk box of 1,000. All it took was a little time and effort to find it.

People need to spend less time complaining and more time looking for what they need. Honestly I'm tired of all the crying coming from "adults".

Same goes for reloading supplies.

Triumph
April 3, 2013, 04:09 PM
What I see is just more complaing about prices from an unprepared person. I will say that I too got caught short but I've managed to add 6,000 rounds of 9mm to my stash these last 3 months and all at prices in the 22 cents to 24 cents a round. Sometimes it was one box of 50 rounds once a week and sometimes it was a bulk box of 1,000. All it took was a little time and effort to find it.

Good job!

bds
April 3, 2013, 04:21 PM
One thing I can say is that while delivery time frame has increased a bit, most of lead bullet casters like Missouri, Dardas, MasterCast, ZCast, etc. have not increased their bullet prices during the current shortage.

Rocky Mountain Reloading also has not price gouged and still offering free shipping on all orders (maybe that's why he's almost sold out). ;)

Looks like Powder Valley is starting to get some powders in and pricing looks similar to pre-out of stock days (8 lbs of WST/WSF for $124/$125).

Widener's got some Alliant powders in like Bullseye and selling 8 lb jug for $113.

Gamaliel's prices have been good with fast shipping. Today (Wednesday), I received an order I placed on Sunday, 3/31/13. That's only 3 days!

Certaindeaf
April 3, 2013, 04:31 PM
Speak of the angel, bds has a killer thread on where to get what.

Triumph
April 3, 2013, 04:46 PM
Certaindeaf Speak of the angel, bds has a killer thread on where to get what.

He is an Angel! bds has been helping everyone out Big Time!

kingmt
April 3, 2013, 05:07 PM
Supply & demand crap. :p

Hondo 60
April 3, 2013, 05:12 PM
Scheels Sporting Goods is NOT gouging on powder.
Bought a pound of Tite Group - $17.99

But the only primers they had in Appleton, WI was lg rifle magnum.

higgite
April 3, 2013, 05:21 PM
How do you know when a retailer is gouging their customers or when a distributor is gouging their retailers or when the manufacturer is gouging their distributors? Or all of the above?

bds
April 3, 2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks Hondo, adding Scheels to the "Where are there reloading components" thread - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8850285#post8850285

Motownfire
April 3, 2013, 05:29 PM
Ammunitionstore.com off the top of my head. $59.99 for Wolf Primers, come on...

oneounceload
April 3, 2013, 05:40 PM

And when those YOU deem to have been "gougers" have supplies when you need them and those others do not the next time - you will do without rather than get some?

I doubt it...
I will buy from any source that has what I want at a price I am willing to pay
If you think prices are coming down to pre election prices, you won't be seeing that any time (if at all) soon

GT1
April 3, 2013, 05:42 PM
When places like PV, Wideners, Brownells, and nachez haven't raised prices it says manufacturers haven't either.

Anyone charging double are pirates and deserve to burn for it.

Triumph
April 3, 2013, 05:44 PM
If you think prices are coming down to pre election prices, you won't be seeing that any time (if at all) soon

Agreed

Motownfire
April 3, 2013, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=GT1]Anyone charging double are pirates and deserve to burn for it.[QUOTE]

Well said.

PJSprog
April 3, 2013, 05:55 PM
MidwayUSA and NatchezSS seem to be holding their prices pretty well. They're out of most supplies, especially anything approaching a military caliber, but I haven't seen their prices increase. I did note this morning that Midway has some Lee .223 dies in stock once again.

And, yes, I have a long memory. I will never again spend as much as a single penny with Cheaper Than Dirt. In my opinion, they have been one of the worst.

Constrictor
April 3, 2013, 06:00 PM
There is no price gouging. This is hobby supplies.

Certaindeaf
April 3, 2013, 06:26 PM
There is no price gouging. This is hobby supplies.That was the stupidest thing I ever seen said. Don't take that the wrong way though.

Constrictor
April 3, 2013, 06:37 PM
That was the stupidest thing I ever seen said. Don't take that the wrong way though.
Sorry guy but you are incorrect. Supply and demand at work. Just like the gold sellers aren't gouging they are selling for current market value.

Certaindeaf
April 3, 2013, 06:39 PM
Sorry guy but you are incorrect. Supply and demand at work. Just like the gold sellers aren't gouging they are selling for current market value.
Nice "hobby" you have here.

Constrictor
April 3, 2013, 06:40 PM
Nice "hobby" you have here.
Thank you. I do enjoy the hobby immensely.

Certaindeaf
April 3, 2013, 06:41 PM
right

wankerjake
April 3, 2013, 06:53 PM
I don't really hold it against them, I agree with a free market. I don't feel I'm entitled to a price that is below the equilibrium price. Equilibrium prices shift as supply and demand changes. Super simple concept. Sure, I think it's decent of companies to make a modest markup and limit order size as to spread around what goods are available but I also believe they have the freedom to price them as they wish. If the price is too high for me I won't buy it, but maybe somebody who wants it more than me will. Good for them.

I'm much more willing to remember excellent customer service than raising prices during a shortage. They need to make money too. If they can sell everything in stock at a higher profit margin, good for them. This is a consumer driven process after all.

I've never ordered a single item from cheaper than dirt because I have ALWAYS been able to find it somewhere else cheaper. I could care less they jacked up Pmags to $60 per... they sold them all. In short order if I recall.

I appreciated Midway's million dollar donation to the NRA-ILA recently. Prices being equal, I'd lean Midway for an order. But if I find someone who can get it to me significantly cheaper... they'll get my dollar.

cwbys4evr
April 3, 2013, 06:54 PM
Is ammunition and the ability to defend your family in a time of crisis essential? You tell me..

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

kingmt
April 3, 2013, 07:35 PM
They are right it isn't just the retailers charging crazy prices that it's the problem. It is mostly the stupid people that is buying them. I haven't bought anything since this started. Even when I seen the stuff at reasonable prices at Walmart. I thought about it but decided to let someone else have it since I can go awhile yet.

oneounceload
April 3, 2013, 07:47 PM
Is ammunition and the ability to defend your family in a time of crisis essential? You tell me..

Ammunition? No, it isnt. Besides, if you are that poorly prepared, whose fault is that? Yours, or the person charging for that ammo?

oneounceload
April 3, 2013, 07:53 PM
When places like PV, Wideners, Brownells, and nachez haven't raised prices it says manufacturers haven't either.

Anyone charging double are pirates and deserve to burn for it.

I see, so when the small corner store charges $5 for a gallon of milk but Costco sells it for $2.50, he should burn?

Yet another who does not understand how supply and demand works.

Do you know what his purchase price is? What his overhead costs are? Do you actually own your own business and have to deal with employees and all of the costs, new taxes. Obamacare increases, etc?
What he is charging is what he thinks he can sell it for to make a (oh perish the thought - a PROFIT) so he can keep his small store open.

But you would rather he sells below market and even below his replacement costs so someone like you can buy them, and then flip them on gunbroker?

I really wish more would learn about supply/demand

Watch this video - not too long and it might explain it better than I am:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9QEkw6_O6w

kingmt
April 3, 2013, 08:30 PM
I just by it from the one with a reasonable price & watch the guy go out of business. I'm smart enough to get my stuff while I'm in town instead of running to the corner & paying twice as much. It isn't supply & demand it is stupid people paying to much.

GT1
April 3, 2013, 08:42 PM
I've already seen the whack-job video justifying profiteering. It doesn't make the pirates any less slime bags. The guys selling generators after hurricanes for triple or more are the lowest kind of pond scum. :barf:

Queen_of_Thunder
April 3, 2013, 11:06 PM
Noone is making you buy anything at high prices.

Look at it this way. If you apply the method of dollar cost averaging things are not that bad.

35 Whelen
April 3, 2013, 11:16 PM
While there are a few retailers that I won't do business with because of insane price hikes, let me say. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PRICE GOUGING WHEN TALKING ABOUT NON-ESSENTIAL ITEMS!
Buying things that are not absolutely necessary is a choice. You don't have to buy it, hence, there is no price gouging. It's their right to charge what they won't. By the same token, it is our right to take our business elsewhere.

Spot on.

To you Liberal gun owners crying "not fair", next time, be prepared. If you MUST have components or ammuntion right now, then suck it up, be a man, pay the price and take your lumps for not planning ahead.

JVaughn
April 3, 2013, 11:19 PM
Call it gouging or not, ammo is not hobby supplies for all of us. Ammo may be way more than hobby supplies soon. Model trains are hobby supplies.

Triumph, I tried to do something like this a while back, can't seem to get this kind of "list of good / bad guys" thing going here. Always gets hijacked. I'm guilty of it too. Sorry man. Good idea though.

From what I can tell, Cabelas hasn't gouged at all, at least on factory loads. I don't reload myself, not sure on components.

JVaughn
April 3, 2013, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Ammunition? No, it isnt.

Wait... What? You said it isn't? What do you defend your home with? Rocks?
What do you consider essential?

bds
April 3, 2013, 11:23 PM
For factory ammunition, GunBot is your friend. Forget the price gouging vendors and just buy from other vendors offering lower prices. ;):D

http://www.gunbot.net/

GunBot's reloading page is still under construction with limited vendors so until they have it up and running full steam, THR has this - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=8850334#post8850334

GLOOB
April 3, 2013, 11:52 PM
The price gougers are the ones that have components in stock.

The non gougers are the ones you have to scan daily to see if they have anything, and then race to buy it, and then wonder where it is 6 weeks later.

Both options have their drawbacks.

Triumph
April 3, 2013, 11:59 PM
To you Liberal gun owners crying "not fair", next time, be prepared. If you MUST have components or ammuntion right now, then suck it up, be a man, pay the price and take your lumps for not planning ahead.

Liberals? Really?

Also, I went back & read my original post. I didn't say anything a out planning ahead or not. I have PLENTY of primers & have no need to buy them at $59/1000.

Here is the original post for those who did not start there:

Price Gouging - Who is & Who is not?

Please spare me the explanation of Supply & Demand. I have a degree in economics & get it. Companies can charge what they want but customers also have LONG memories.

Also, I'm not crying & don't know anyone who is. Haven't met many reloaders that cry about anything.

Go right ahead with your preaching. I mentioned in the original post that companies can charge whatever they want.

This is good though - Let's get all the "holier than thou" comments out of the way so we can get back to discussing those companies "excessively marking up" vs. those that aren't.

GLOOB
April 4, 2013, 12:21 AM
It's pretty simple, really.

Me: You have some primers, right? I'll give you $28.00 for 1k SRP.

You: Well, I don't really know you. But that's a "fair" price. And I can spare 1k. So, ok.

Me: Kewl. Gimme 5k more at the same price, while you're at it.

You: But then I won't have any left. And it could be long time before I can get more.

.... Well that's the same boat that the gun stores are in.

david_r
April 4, 2013, 12:46 AM
I beat the lock :neener:

RhinoDefense
April 4, 2013, 12:50 AM
People that complain about prices in any market are the same that think they are entitled to a certain price.

Doug b
April 4, 2013, 03:45 AM
Capitalism 101

jerry allen
April 4, 2013, 04:02 AM
Price ???? For what? Their is nothing left to gouge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jerry allen
April 4, 2013, 04:05 AM
Has anyone got free load data for 308 and 30-06 Hornady 150 gr??? Please don't gouge, just scratch.

kingmt
April 4, 2013, 06:13 AM
Hodgon's does.

JRWhit
April 4, 2013, 07:03 AM
I'd follow the supply demand concept but, That only really holds true of a complete market increasing prices, not just a select few. If we were looking at supply vs demand, increases would be across the board. Now with that concept in mind I believe that the O.P. is trying to get a helpful thread going of supply sites who have not been charging higher prices for the supplies we try to keep stock of. This is a free market concept commonly referred to as bargain shopping. If a product is available at a lower price at a various vendor, it is not whining to seek them out, it's smart shopping. Not trying to offend anyone, just to point out that a simple misunderstanding may be souring the post field.
I have been seeing steady pricing from Natchez and Midway. I stay clear of Armslist for now, but I believe it will be quite a good place for supplies in the following years.
I have not had any use for online vendors for primers or powder. All have been easier to find locally at same as always price. Harder to find primers but powder is been back for a while.

Triumph
April 4, 2013, 07:55 AM
I'd follow the supply demand concept but, That only really holds true of a complete market increasing prices, not just a select few. If we were looking at supply vs demand, increases would be across the board. Now with that concept in mind I believe that the O.P. is trying to get a helpful thread going of supply sites who have not been charging higher prices for the supplies we try to keep stock of. This is a free market concept commonly referred to as bargain shopping. If a product is available at a lower price at a various vendor, it is not whining to seek them out, it's smart shopping. Not trying to offend anyone, just to point out that a simple misunderstanding may be souring the post field.

Thank you!

35 Whelen
April 4, 2013, 08:20 AM
It's still not price gouging!! Let me give ou an example:

I live outside of a small town that sits on a major US highway. Traveling east on that highway, at the west edge of town the first little store that offers gasonline is at least 20¢ per gallon higher than anyone in town. His gasoline is the first on the highway for around 30 miles. He prices his fuel higher knowing that there are people who will be low on fuel (i.e.- didn't plan ahead) and will pay the higher prices. Is he gouging? Nope. Nobody in town buys from him, only people coming down the highway. He's targeted the folks who need fuel RIGHT NOW. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, apply this to folks needing ammunition and components. Some planned ahead, others didn't.

Searcher4851
April 4, 2013, 09:09 AM
It's really kind of hard to tell about what online retailers are raising prices. Many that I have browsed are listing pre-panic prices and have no stock. I've noticed that when they do get some stock, some of them suddenly have a new and higher price on those items, but out of stock items still show the old lower price.
Either way though, buying out of fear and panic is never a good idea, and when you do you usually end up paying for it. Being prepared is your best friend in times like these. Patience truly is a virtue. Things will get better.
Was I totally prepared? NO. I have run low and or out of some things, but I have plenty of other stuff to use and shoot while I wait. Those that waited to buy until the panic started, are the ones that drove the prices higher. JMHO

Triumph
April 4, 2013, 09:16 AM
I'll let the others continue conversation on how to define pricing strategies. For the rest of us, that just want to find the best price, here is a summary:

Generally Higher Prices:
Ammunition to Go
Bruno's

Generally Lower Prices:
Natchez Shooter's Supply
Midway USA
Gamliel's Shooters Supply
Third Generation Shooters Supply

Jlr2267
April 4, 2013, 09:54 AM
Natchez and Midway have both raised prices on their common 22LR ammo, as has every other online vendor.

What some of you guys are missing is that this is a volume business. Making $1/box profit on ammo is ok when you can consistently sell a few hundred boxes per week. What do sellers do when they now get 30 boxes of ammo to replenish inventory per week instead of 300?

If you said they now have to sell at $10/box profit you get a small prize. Its not gouging, its staying-in-business 101.

higgite
April 4, 2013, 10:07 AM
Thank you, Triumph for the thread and JRWhit for trying to get it back on track. The retailer info is helpful, but all the Econ 101 rhetoric isn't going to change anyone's mind about price gouging one way or the other. Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up. ;)

Edited to add: FWIW, Cabela's seems to be pretty much holding the line on their reloading equipment and component lines. Even a lot of stuff that isn't in stock is backorderable at a decent price.

Triumph
April 4, 2013, 10:16 AM
higgite Thank you, Triumph for the thread and JRWhit for trying to get it back on track. The retailer info is helpful, but all the Econ 101 rhetoric isn't going to change anyone's mind about price gouging one way or the other. Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

Thank You!

I'll keep the list going in spite of the other conversation. The list is meant to benefit THR members & the companies with the lowest prices.

Generally Higher Prices:
Ammunition to Go
Bruno's

Generally Lower Prices:
Natchez Shooter's Supply
Midway USA

If anyone has any retailers to add to either list above please do.

fguffey
April 4, 2013, 10:36 AM
I am still working on the “I ever seen said”.

I am not immune to the problems that effect other reloaders/shooters, I do not need primers but, I got a call about a heads-up on powder, cases and primers, and bullets, thousands of bullets, I purchases 2,000+ primers for $30.00, he had a brick of 10,000 for $150.00. Most of my primers are Federal, the primers I purchased were Winchester and Remington, it just looks wrong, color does not match then there is the difference in the size of the boxes.

F. Guffey

higgite
April 4, 2013, 10:47 AM
Care to share your source? That's sorta what this thread is about. Hopefully someone who does need primers can get there before he sells out to those who don't need them.

Boomer4570
April 4, 2013, 11:08 AM
I am good on some things, not on others. I watch and wait for opportunity buys at normal prices. Those charging high prices can f$&) off, I will just keep waiting. I will also have a long memory. I will not buy from CTD or Dicks. I travel a lot, so I hit every Cabela's and Basspro I can. Cabelas online has come through on dies.

dickttx
April 4, 2013, 12:30 PM
Where would you place the gunshop in Yukon, OK who had the one pound of powder listed on Gunbroker a while back? He started it out at $1. The last I saw it was in the $230 range.

gamestalker
April 4, 2013, 12:35 PM
I have been a retail manager for decades and this is the result of "supply and demand". The same thing happens when there is a natural disaster, retailer's take advantage of the opportunity to increase their margin. Like it or not, it is a fact, and business tactic that has been going on for ever.
GS

kingmt
April 4, 2013, 12:55 PM
For tools there price has went up a Buck or two but that may have even been before all of this. FSReloading has fare prices. I heaven looked at there bullets in a couple of years.

bds
April 4, 2013, 03:10 PM
Powder Valley selling Winchester primers for $28/1000 definitely not price gouging.

Much better than $60/1000 ... :rolleyes:

Yes, Powder Valley has Winchester LP/LR/LRM primers in stock right now. :D

If you need some, hurry!

Motownfire
April 4, 2013, 03:55 PM
O.P. is trying to get a helpful thread going of supply sites who have not been charging higher prices for the supplies we try to keep stock of. This is a free market concept commonly referred to as bargain shopping. If a product is available at a lower price at a various vendor, it is not whining to seek them out, it's smart shopping. Not trying to offend anyone, just to point out that a simple misunderstanding may be souring the post field.

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

mdm
April 4, 2013, 04:00 PM
Is it essential? Sure it is. However, if the plan is to run to the store and stock up after the crisis has struck, how has that worked out for folks lately?

You should already have what you consider necessary for an emergency. I have what I consider to be minimum quaities of various items required for emergencies. If I keep going to the range and shoot up my emergency supplies that is just stupid on my part. How do I deal with it? I have on hand more than the minimum quanities required for emergencies and if things go stupid, like they have lately, I evaluate my stocks and act accordingly.

35 Whelen
April 4, 2013, 06:35 PM
Is it essential? Sure it is. However, if the plan is to run to the store and stock up after the crisis has struck, how has that worked out for folks lately?

You should already have what you consider necessary for an emergency. I have what I consider to be minimum quaities of various items required for emergencies. If I keep going to the range and shoot up my emergency supplies that is just stupid on my part. How do I deal with it? I have on hand more than the minimum quanities required for emergencies and if things go stupid, like they have lately, I evaluate my stocks and act accordingly.
Winner, winner chicken dinner for a family of four.

gspn
April 4, 2013, 11:25 PM
I'd be happy to get gouged just to see a product someone can deliver. MidwayUSA is now just a site full of pictures of stuff you used to be able to buy. If you set it to quit showing stuff they are out of, then the page goes blank on most of my searches...they have nothing.

They are going to have to change their slogan from "just about everything" to "just about nothing."

I'm not too worried about it as I have most of what i need...it's just that it's getting laughable how out of stock everyone is. My original guess was that we'd see some normality returning by September...but i may have to push it back to sometime in 2014 at this rate.

It's fishing season so I'll just go do that instead of fooling with my guns and reloading...it's not worth the effort.

I can't imagine how frustrating this would be for someone just trying to get into the hobby.

JRWhit
April 5, 2013, 06:52 AM
Thanks to Triumph, I added three suppliers, that I was not aware of, to my favorites bar. Great thread.

ssmith1187
April 5, 2013, 11:25 AM

As mentioned earlier, who’s raising the prices on who…is it the retailer, distributor or manufacturer? My money is on the retailer.

I say that because I personally bought 1,000 Federal 150 Large Pistol primers last Thursday (March 28th) for $28.29. You’re limited to 1,000 primers per order (thought you can buy 1,000 SP, 1,000 LP, etc. at the same time) but that’s the same price I paid prior to all of this madness.

Personally, it comes down to what I’m willing to pay. I was at a gun store last Saturday (March 30th) that was selling primers for $55.50 per 1,000. I’m just not willing to pay that amount for 1,000 primers. We’ll have to change our shooting habits and ration our supplies a little bit more, but we’ll still reload and shoot this year.

All the best,
Steve

oneounceload
April 5, 2013, 11:51 AM
Personally, it comes down to what I’m willing to pay. I was at a gun store last Saturday (March 30th) that was selling primers for $55.50 per 1,000. I’m just not willing to pay that amount for 1,000 primers.

BINGO, which is why there is no gouging - you are either willing to pay it or not; doesn't matter if it is ammo, milk or blue jeans - you are either willing to part with your money at the price ASKED, or you are not

GoWolfpack
April 5, 2013, 12:02 PM
I've already seen the whack-job video justifying profiteering. It doesn't make the pirates any less slime bags. The guys selling generators after hurricanes for triple or more are the lowest kind of pond scum. :barf:
Your choices are these:

1) No product available anywhere, for any price.

2) Product freely available, but at a significantly increased price.

Which do you choose?

The plain and simple fact is that there are a non-trivial number of buyers in the market willing to pay a premium to have product available immediately. Sandy Hook drastically increased that number. For example; so far today, two Gun Broker auctions for primers have ended with bids. One auction which sold was 5000 primers for $295, the other was 1000 primers which was bid up to $73 but did not meet the sellers reserve.

With people out there willing to bid the price of one box of primers up to $73, you don't stand a chance of getting much if you will only offer <$30.

GT1
April 5, 2013, 12:56 PM
Your choices are these:

1) No product available anywhere, for any price.

2) Product freely available, but at a significantly increased price.

Which do you choose?

I've had no problem stocking up on supplies in this panic, at normal prices(Same prices as 6 months ago). I'm patient, not the panicky type. Again, there are plenty of retailers not pirating. I can't do a thing about the snakes, except pass them by and remember who they are.

Triumph
April 5, 2013, 01:09 PM
I've had no problem stocking up on supplies in this panic, at normal prices(Same prices as 6 months ago). I'm patient, not the panicky type. Again, there are plenty of retailers not pirating. I can't do a thing about the snakes, except pass them by and remember who they are.

Bingo!!

kingmt
April 5, 2013, 03:01 PM
Hate to follow you guys of topic but not only do I question people's sense for paying so much, I also wonder about the ones that have to take this in the direction that the OP asked them not to go.

If you don't agree then stay out of the thread. There is other threads you can go to or even start your own. Suggested topics "I'm Proud To Be Taken Advantage Of" or "I Don't Mind Taking It"

I'm trying to keep in mind there is kids on here. Anyhow quit trolling his thread.

Back on topic.

He doesn't have much but GIbrass.com is about the same price on what he still has.

GoWolfpack
April 5, 2013, 03:09 PM
To be perfectly honest I don't believe you.

I'm not saying product isn't available at pre-panic prices, but it certainly isn't available in pre-panic quantities anywhere that I've been.

Constrictor
April 5, 2013, 03:18 PM

I'm not saying product isn't available at pre-panic prices, but it certainly isn't available in pre-panic quantities anywhere that I've been.
in the last 6 weeks i have ordered and recieved:
16 pounds 2400 pv
16 pounds unique pv
20k winchester small pistol primers pv
14k 9mm,45,44 mag bullets from mo bullet
and i have 4k berry's 9mm ordered from pv march 6th that should ship any day now.
all at pre panic prices. so yeah i believe him.

Lj1941
April 5, 2013, 03:43 PM
It is called "Free Market". Anyone with a problem ask any Cuban, North Korean or Chi-com how they feel about it! At least we here in the USA, STILL have the freedom to buy or not buy anything we consider outlandishly expensive.

GT1
April 5, 2013, 04:06 PM

I don't recall asking you to.

Sounds like Constrictor was patient and did well also(My unique train will come in some day, dang it. ).

Thanks to Walkalong and the staff for letting this one run a bit. I know the "gouging" thing has been done to death on many discussion boards and it isn't very high road for us to bicker about things here.

Queen_of_Thunder
April 5, 2013, 11:40 PM
16 pounds 2400 pv
16 pounds unique pv
and i have 4k berry's 9mm ordered from pv march 6th that should ship any day now.
From PV website.

BACKORDERS: (Effective 01/29/13 at 8 AM ET) Due to the overwhelming number of orders and the extreme supply shortages we are temporarily discontinuing our policy of accepting backorders. Orders that are placed for items listed as "Out of Stock" on the website will be immediately canceled. All customers who have backorders in our system currently will not be affected and these orders will be processed as soon as the items become available. We are extremely sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. We hope to return to accepting backorders once we have obtained a manageable level of orders to be shipped.

Constrictor
April 6, 2013, 01:01 AM
From PV website.

BACKORDERS: (Effective 01/29/13 at 8 AM ET) Due to the overwhelming number of orders and the extreme supply shortages we are temporarily discontinuing our policy of accepting backorders. Orders that are placed for items listed as "Out of Stock" on the website will be immediately canceled. All customers who have backorders in our system currently will not be affected and these orders will be processed as soon as the items become available. We are extremely sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. We hope to return to accepting backorders once we have obtained a manageable level of orders to be shipped.
I've seen that. What's your point? They get products from almost all their vendors every week.

red rick
April 6, 2013, 08:24 AM
Good thread, I like knowing who to support with my dollars.

I will not pay extremely marked up prices just to have a stock pile. If I didn't have anything ( shame on me for that ) I might buy what I needed for emergency use only.

Midway and Natchez have my good vote. Midway even had my Classic Turret Kit on sale when I bought mine a few weeks ago.

Cheaper Than Dirt gets my bad vote. I need to save them some money and cancel that paper they send me every month. I woudn't buy from them again if they were cheaper than everyone else when things get back to normal.

Queen_of_Thunder
April 6, 2013, 02:38 PM
Remember to keep in mind the difference between a mom and pop retail sized operation versus the chain store or the Brownells and Midway USA's.

thump_rrr
April 7, 2013, 03:24 AM
I wonder what everyone considers to be gouging.
In Canada I was paying $208.99 for a 500ct box of Sierra 30 cal 180gr (2220C) before SH.
I bought the same box yesterday for $218.99 or 5% more than last year.
I also bought Varget for wait.......

$34.95/lb. I typically purchase Varget for $200.00/8lb which comes to $25.00/lb but I can't get any right now. The the price for individual 1lb containers is usually $32.95 around here so $3.00/lb more is not so bad.
At least I know who has an extra 20 lbs for the time being.
As for being unprepared it's not that I don't have any more of these items but I'm making sure that I have enough to last me till the summer of 2014.

It's also hard to prepare when I have only been shooting for less than 3 years.
In the last 3 years I've purchased 9 firearms including 3 AR's and 2 handguns a fully progressive reloading setup and a complete single stage setup.

Armymutt
April 7, 2013, 09:04 AM
Our local shop is sometimes cheaper than online stores - if you leave out the tax. Took a quick look on gunbroker - people want $150 for 1K Federal Small Rifle Primers! I think I paid $40 a few weeks ago. There are bids up to $99 right now. Can't believe it.

kingmt
April 7, 2013, 09:19 AM
I can't blame the action. That it's people paying what they want. I don't go to the action around me because it is full of people that pay more for junk then good cost retail. I've seen a 8 piece Craftsman wrench set go for $80 here. Aren't they about $10?

thump_rrr
April 7, 2013, 09:56 AM
Our local shop is sometimes cheaper than online stores - if you leave out the tax. Took a quick look on gunbroker - people want $150 for 1K Federal Small Rifle Primers! I think I paid $40 a few weeks ago. There are bids up to $99 right now. Can't believe it.
And I thought that $42.50 for 1,000 Federal GMM 210M was too much last week.
I still bought them though.

kgpcr
April 7, 2013, 10:07 AM
Who has what in stock? you see there is a HUGE demand for reloading goods right now. Just because someone is selling primers for 50.00K does not mean he is making a ton of money on them He may have had to buy them from another distributor that is jacking his prices up. You see you DONT have to pay high prices if you don't want to. No one is making any one buy anything.

s4s4u
April 8, 2013, 01:30 AM
I will never again spend as much as a single penny with Cheaper Than Dirt.

Nor I

joeschmoe
April 8, 2013, 04:12 AM
Generally Higher Prices:
Ammunition to Go
Bruno's

Generally Lower Prices:
Natchez Shooter's Supply
Midway USA
That's also a list of who is generally in stock and who is generally out of stock.

I wonder why that is?

bds
April 8, 2013, 09:40 AM
Well, add Ammunitionstore.com to the list.

$80/1000 for Wolf primers! :eek: - http://www.ammunitionstore.com/categories/reloading/primers.html

BTW, Bruno lowered their prices on Wolf primers down from $59 to $45-$49/1000 - http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BSS&Category_Code=WOLFSMMAG

joeschmoe
April 8, 2013, 08:56 PM
I hope this situation lasts into the next election cycle. I fear that Americans have too short a memory and will soon forget the lessons we have had over and over.
I want the millions who are now scrambling and panicking to go into the voting booth with that same attitude.

Uniquedot
April 8, 2013, 10:30 PM
Not reloading components, but seriously taking advantage of the situation caused by the turd with ears and all his pathetic followers. I sincerely hope these idiots fall to Obamanomics.

http://www.usaammo.com/45-Auto-230-gr-FMJ-New-Ammo-Best-Prices-In-Stock-P677.aspx

$100.00 a box for $12.00 ammunition. Folks don't do business with the likes of these people.

idoono
April 8, 2013, 10:54 PM
Wow that almost made me pee my pants laughing. Remind me never to buy from them. Ammo with attitude....ammo for idiots I think. JMHO

Idoono

hardheart
April 9, 2013, 12:11 AM
16 pounds 2400 pv
16 pounds unique pv

Weird, I've had a backorder for 3.5 months at PV for what was only 6 lbs of powder and 4K primers. Local Cabela's has been getting faster powders, so I dropped to just 4 lbs of 2400 and the primers, and still waiting. I have a few year's worth of components anyway, so the wait isn't bothersome, but it's still a wait just the same.

kelbro
April 9, 2013, 12:19 AM
Brunos posted on another forum that in order to get some components to stock, they had to go outside their normal distribution channels and pay market pricing. That drives their price up but makes it available to their customers rather than empty shelves and huge stacks of backorders that may not be filled for months.

I agree with several others that say it can't be considered gouging when it's a hobby product.

I would (begrudgingly) pay the price if I felt that I just HAD to have certain components but I am fortunate enough to have laid in a pretty good stock of most of what I need.

liloldhobit
June 7, 2013, 10:35 PM
Wow...... a simple post gone sideways
:confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Price Gouging - Who is & Who is not?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!