Mosins going up $$$???

PDA

Craigman
April 3, 2013, 06:57 PM
Ive seen Mosins for sale lately for $200 and thought to myself...No Way!

but this one takes the cake

Price or Trade Value:
$900

------------------------------------------------------
Item Description:

Just finished 1932 Mosin Nagant customized by Tossan Customs. ATI Monte Carlo stock with floated barrel. 22 crowned barrel. Iron sights have been removed and barrel milled smooth. Polished feed ramp and honed chamber. Complete trigger job. Weaver rail. UTG LE Max rings. UTG/Leapers 5th Gen. 4-16x40mm Scope, laser aligned. Custom bent bolt. Black DuraCoated barrel and receiver. Precision grade bipod. Black cheek pad by Tactical Operations. Email for pictures. $900 Original hardware included.

Are people going insane????

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosins going up $$$???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Buck Kramer
April 3, 2013, 07:01 PM
You could fart in a jar and "sell" it for $50, doesnt mean anyone will buy it. I have a feeling hes gonna be stuck with this one for a while.

ford8nr
April 3, 2013, 07:09 PM
There ain't no Mosin worth $ 900. Paid $ 89 for mine, refinished the stock, glass bedded it, installed a higher front sight pin and it's a great $ 89 gun that will shoot decent iron sight groups out to 250yds. $900 is CRAZY...I'd let mine go for $600

Craigman
April 3, 2013, 07:17 PM
I too paid $89 about two years ago. Just thought this was a funny one to share. Someone must be telling him how awesome it is...maybe the shop that did the work. LOL

newglockguy
April 3, 2013, 07:46 PM
At my work they went on sale for $119.99 and sometimes for $99.99 then our supply ran out during the holidays and we just got more in that go an sale for $179.99. This is just for your basic cosmoline covered 91/30 too. It's a shame really.

morcey2
April 3, 2013, 08:12 PM
There are $900+ mosins out there (1907 carbine, M27rv possibly, etc) but that ain't one of them. Whoever did it probably turned an $89 rifle with a little collector value into a $50 rifle with lots of accessories.

Mosin prices are necessarily going to go up at this point simply because of the lousy exchange rate of the $ versus everything else.

Matt

YZ
April 3, 2013, 08:15 PM
Ive seen Mosins for sale lately for $200 and thought to myself...No Way!

but this one takes the cake

Are people going insane????
What do you know. There has been a sporterized Mosin at the LGS for a while now. It started at $800 and keeps coming down, now $500 or so, still there. People just don't realize, you don't put lipstick on a soviet rifle and expect others to fall in love. Custom means personal, in this case. Any Mosin is a pedigreed rifle, love it or hate, but you turn it into a mutt and try to sell... Ok done rambling.
Prices on real Mosins may fluctuate in different parts of the country, and any day depending on the gun control initiative du joir. For $225 in this neck of the woods you could have an unissued M44 last week.

Jackal
April 3, 2013, 09:16 PM
Currently M31/30's are around $200 including transfer. M44's are about $250. M38's around $300. M39's about $350. Dragoons about $350. Yes, they are going up, but what hasnt? South African 7.62 surplus used to be $0.25 per round, now its about a buck per shot. Times change folks, you dont have to like it, but:rolleyes: get used to it.

morcey2
April 3, 2013, 11:03 PM
What do you know. There has been a sporterized Mosin at the LGS for a while now. It started at $800 and keeps coming down, now $500 or so, still there. People just don't realize, you don't put lipstick on a soviet rifle and expect others to fall in love. Custom means personal, in this case. Any Mosin is a pedigreed rifle, love it or hate, but you turn it into a mutt and try to sell... Ok done rambling.
Prices on real Mosins may fluctuate in different parts of the country, and any day depending on the gun control initiative du joir. For $225 in this neck of the woods you could have an unissued M44 last week.

There's an absolutely butchered New England Westinghouse M91 at a local pawn shop that has been there for at least 10 years. They're asking $595 for it and aren't willing to negotiate at all. They're convinced that it's a collectors item. I was kicked out when I showed them that even decent-condition NEW M91's were only going for $300-350.

There are still good deals to be had if you're willing to look.

Matt

chrisTx
April 3, 2013, 11:09 PM
I got my all numbers matching war time m44 on sale from century for $49. I totally ripped them off.

Onward Allusion
April 4, 2013, 12:50 AM
Sure, it's a custom job. A silk purse....etc...etc...

MN's are up in price, like everything else. Around $200 is the norm. $250 for something nice. $300-$350 for a M44...

stubbicatt
April 4, 2013, 08:40 AM
I think I paid $79 for my hex 91/30, and it wasn't that long ago.

I think the market is adjusting to the ammo availability issue. The x54r cartridge is readily available in these times, when other cartridges, even 22 lr., are not. I would be willing to pay a premium for a rifle for which ammunition is readily available, and I think that is what the market is trying to accomplish here.

It seems reasonable especially when you consider that the premium is maybe $100. Sure, the price is 2x what I paid, but it is still not a lot of money.

Sav .250
April 4, 2013, 08:53 AM
I see them at my local Gun Show and I always thought they were priced, cheap.
In todays market, the seller can "ask" for what ever they may want but getting it is something else.

Grunt
April 4, 2013, 10:47 AM
Well, I might have been interested in buying that $900 Mosin for the seller's asking price. Might have had significant historical content I may be interested in. However, since Bubba went to work "customizing" it, I'll give you $20 for it but not a penny more!:evil:

Jackal
April 4, 2013, 02:54 PM
Remember when German K98's were the cheap surplus rifle? Millions produced and now the are in the $500 region for a "decent" one. Think about the cheap SVT-40's that came in.... Thats the way Mosins will go as well. That $79 rifle in 15 years will be going for $350. In 30 years, a clean example will command $600. Thats how the surplus market works.

Joe Friday
April 4, 2013, 03:16 PM
Would you buy it at $200 or $250 or get something better for a little bit more? also how do you tell if the barrel is any good? I do like the bayonet.

FIVETWOSEVEN
April 4, 2013, 04:17 PM
Reminds me of the guy in my state selling a Mini 14 for 2 grand with a bipod, scope, and a couple of magazines.

sarge83
April 4, 2013, 06:09 PM
Passed on a Finish mosin at my local shop $349. It is still a mosin...

hunttheevil
April 4, 2013, 06:45 PM
Man that price is steep! I'll let my M44 go for $700. It IS all original! :evil:

Gun Master
April 4, 2013, 07:34 PM
Got mine two months ago, for $99.95, just before they went up (or disappeared).:evil:

Joe Friday
April 4, 2013, 08:50 PM
Do you like it Gun?

Gun Master
April 5, 2013, 01:49 PM
I guess ?:scrutiny: Haven't shot it yet, but I've aleady gotten a rubber butt stock, preparing for that Mule Kicker. I like that I think I got my money's worth, for sure.:D

usurp31
April 5, 2013, 01:52 PM
They are great guns and the ammo still isn't too costly - and you can find it which is a bonus.

Joe Friday
April 5, 2013, 02:07 PM
I guess ?:scrutiny: Haven't shot it yet, but I've aleady gotten a rubber butt stock, preparing for that Mule Kicker. I like that I think I got my money's worth, for sure.:D
I've been researching these after my co-worker told me he had one. He liked it but sold it for some other reason. How do you check the barrel to make sure it's good?

9w1911
April 5, 2013, 02:11 PM
There was a plain Jane 9130 in the gun library at cabelas here in Reno 595.0

ldlfh7
April 5, 2013, 05:45 PM
I bought a 91/30 at a gun show last summer with all accessories for $99.
LMAO at the prices people want these days.:neener:

Grunt
April 5, 2013, 06:55 PM
I got a lot of my Nagants years ago when they were cheaper. I think my 91/30 was $40, my M44 was $80, my Valmet M39 was $175 and my 91/30 PU sniper (a real one) was $500. Now just last year I got lucky and found a sweet deal on an M38 for $125. I guess the dealer didn't keep track of what the prices were doing. I kept them all in original condition and figure that the price on them will only go up over the years.
As far as modifying them, if you do put a recoil pad on it, I guess that's alright, even though the recoil on these rifles, even the carbines, is way over-rated and not nearly as bad as some folks claim. I tend to think that many of the complaints about recoil come from a lot of folks that are used to 5.56 and 7.62X39 rounds that do have a lot less recoil but really, the 7.62X54R round isn't as bad as many make it out to be. But if you do put a puss-pad...uh, I mean recoil pad on the rifle, make sure it's something you can put back to original condition if you ever want to sell it later on. Like I said, originals kept as a piece of history tend to increase in value over the years when the supply dries up. However, put one piece on that rifle that's not correct and I won't touch it, no matter how much the Bubba job cost you or if I do, the price I will offer you will probably be pretty insulting.

targetshooter22
April 5, 2013, 07:19 PM
"UTG/Leapers 5th Gen. 4-16x40mm Scope, laser aligned." = bore sighted. LOL

docsleepy
April 5, 2013, 11:47 PM
To me, much of the value of a rifle is in how accurate it is. One of my Mosins started out as a 3 inch gun at 100 yards. A lot of work later, And it is now a 3/4 inch to 1" gun at 100 yards. For my deer hunting purposes, that makes it more valuable to me. Other people may value rifles for their collector status. Both ideas make sense.

leadcounsel
April 6, 2013, 03:02 AM
Factor in the dollar has declined about 50% in the last decade...

goofyoldfart
April 6, 2013, 03:41 AM
I bought several M-N's many years ago. the 91/30 was 49.95 , the Mod 38 was 69.95 and the Mod 44 was a REALLY STIFF 75.00.:eek: once they were all cleaned up and the triggers gently touched up, they break at 3 pounds and all three will hold to 1" or less at a 100yrds. I like them and they are great to shoot. I will admit to adding slip on rubber butt pads to the Mods 38 and 44. I'm not a Pansie but do have a serious issue with the brothers Arthur and Burr in both of my shoulders.:( shooting cast loads (200 gr boolits at about 1600-1800 FPS) is the cat's meow and will drop deer and pig DIRT if you do your part. God Bless to all and theirs'.:D

Goofyoldfart

ETA: corrected mod number due to sloppy fingers :)

CnRnut
April 6, 2013, 11:15 AM
Love my Mosins.
My best buy was Century Arms "U-fix'ems" ,5 for $75+ a $2 fix'em fee each.
For $17 each I got 2 guns missing the cleaning rods,2 with small cracked stocks, and one missing a front sight globe.

YZ
April 6, 2013, 11:52 AM
Would you buy it at $200 or $250 or get something better for a little bit more? also how do you tell if the barrel is any good? I do like the bayonet.
Joe Friday:

Yes, absolutely. Of the government issued Mosins many saw rough treatment. They received perfunctory cleaning, then got greased and shelved for decades.

Bring a flashlight in the shop, and look for a mirror shiny bore with sharp rifling. A year stamp newer than 1943 is a welcome sign, unless you collect antiques.

mgkdrgn
April 6, 2013, 11:55 AM
Mosin's are for sure going up. Wholesale prices on them are double or more what they were a year ago ... IF you can find any.

Get'em while you can!

mgkdrgn
April 6, 2013, 11:59 AM
Joe Friday:

Yes, absolutely. Of the government issued Mosins many saw rough treatment. They received perfunctory cleaning, then got greased and shelved for decades.

Bring a flashlight in the shop, and look for a mirror shiny bore with sharp rifling. A year stamp newer than 1943 is a welcome sign, unless you collect antiques.
Yes, they were battle tested/abused rifles.

However, they were also arsenal rebuilt after the war and brought back up to specs suitable to re-issue to front line troops. They were not simply dipped in cosmoline and crated up.

The bores may be dark from years of shooting corrosive ammo, but the rifling is still strong and they will be good shooters. The M44's being wholesaled now are -excellent-, with mirror shiny (unshot?) bores and cleaned of most of the cosmoline.

hang fire
April 6, 2013, 03:20 PM
There ain't no Mosin worth $ 900. Paid $ 89 for mine, refinished the stock, glass bedded it, installed a higher front sight pin and it's a great $ 89 gun that will shoot decent iron sight groups out to 250yds. $900 is CRAZY...I'd let mine go for $600

All things are only worth what a customer is willing to pay,

YZ
April 6, 2013, 03:22 PM
Correct on M44. I bought one apparently unfired. The only reason we have this anomaly (50+ year old new old stock) is the Soviet military doctrine. The Mosins were obsolete but kept just in case.
The dim bore of course doesn't mean it's a bad rifle. Only to Fridays question whether a newer one was worth spending extra, my answer was yes.

Arbo
April 6, 2013, 03:47 PM
I bought my second 30 a few weeks back at cabela's for 120... more than I want to pay, but far better than the 200+ I saw everywhere else.

YZ
April 6, 2013, 08:35 PM
I bought my second 30 a few weeks back at cabela's for 120... more than I want to pay, but far better than the 200+ I saw everywhere else.
Exactly as described, no surprises?

JHansenAK47
April 6, 2013, 08:59 PM
There ain't no Mosin worth $ 900.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62_Tkiv_85
I wonder if you could get 900 for a 7.62 TKIV 85.

Arbo
April 6, 2013, 09:00 PM
Exactly as described, no surprises?
Well, they had about 8 of them on the rack, so you could check them out, pick what you wanted, they said some had all the 'extras' in the box, some didn't, they didn't know which was which. So yeah, as you see and examine. All mine was 'missing' was the carry strap, and I didn't care.

YZ
April 6, 2013, 09:20 PM
Way to go. I thought you ordered from cabelas. Around here it means catalog.

toivo
April 7, 2013, 12:31 AM
The only reason we have this anomaly (50+ year old new old stock) is the Soviet military doctrine. The Mosins were obsolete but kept just in case.

Yup. If they ever got invaded again, they were going to hand one out to every Ivan and Svetlana. It's what we should be doing with Garands but aren't -- not that it's all that likely that we'd be invaded by anybody these days.

Now they just want the cash, although I'm willing to bet they still have some stockpiles of AK-47s and SKSs, "just in case."

gandog56
April 7, 2013, 12:39 AM
Well, if you all had C&R licenses like me, there are PLENTY of Mosins still to be had for $120. And I get them shipped straight to me no transfer fee needed. Since I get them from out of state, no sales taxes either. Sadly no way to avoid a shipping cost. Except one place had free shipping for anything over $99, still think its going on, and the Mosins are $120!:neener:

But since I have 12, and most were costing me $70-$80 when I bought them, I'm only looking for rarer models now. Like a Finn M27. And they are NEVER cheap!

Onmilo
April 7, 2013, 09:50 AM
There ain't no Mosin worth $900

Yes there are,,,
http://www.fototime.com/FF4EDB098799BEC/standard.jpg

Gun Master
April 10, 2013, 02:20 PM
Sorry, for not replying sooner. Bolt action rifles are not my favorite, but for a "$100, 30-06", I thought,"why not ?" !!! Handguns are my specialty. About the Mosin Nagant barrel, it is dark, but otherwise appears sound. Still haven't shot it yet, since limited to a safe place to shoot. I probably will clean the bore with a brass brush, and use charcoal lighter, like Nagant Man. He says it works as well as, and is a lot cheaper than Hoppe's #9.

ol' scratch
April 10, 2013, 05:20 PM
I paid almost $600 for mine, but it is an original 1943 Mosin Nagant PU sniper rifle with original scope numbered to the rifle and matching numbers. I wouldn't pay that for a sporterized rifle.

ol' scratch
April 10, 2013, 05:25 PM
Yup. If they ever got invaded again, they were going to hand one out to every Ivan and Svetlana. It's what we should be doing with Garands but aren't -- not that it's all that likely that we'd be invaded by anybody these days.

Now they just want the cash, although I'm willing to bet they still have some stockpiles of AK-47s and SKSs, "just in case."

No what they are doing is selling them to us. I prefer the people to have control over the firearms and not the government. I should also add that you better believe that they are still stock piling rifles, we just can't have access to THEIR rifles because WE are too dangerous :cuss:.:banghead:

hang fire
April 10, 2013, 05:44 PM
I thought the OP was about the price of MN trifles oday, not the constant repeats of what one paid years ago.

Hell, in 1965 I got a new Mustang covertible out the door for $2495.00. but that was then, this now.

toivo
April 10, 2013, 06:09 PM
No what they are doing is selling them to us. I prefer the people to have control over the firearms and not the government.
Don't get me wrong -- I'm perfectly happy that they're selling them to us. But I think that whatever they don't sell, they should keep, rather than destroying them as I know they're thinking about doing.

justice06rr
April 13, 2013, 01:21 AM
Yep, Mosin's are definitely going up in price. But that $900 sporterized one ain't worth half that.

I sporterized one of my 91/30's for a total cost of around $200 including the rifle.

YZ
April 14, 2013, 01:53 AM
xxx

GlockFan
April 14, 2013, 02:30 AM
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3MOSIN9130

stubbicatt
April 15, 2013, 08:04 AM
I have read elsewhere that most of these rifles are coming from Ukraine. I guess there was a changing of the guard in that country, and whoever is in charge of selling these rifles now realizes three things: 1) There is not an infinite supply of them, 2) right now x54r ammo is still available in US, where other ammo is not, and 3) dollar is worth less than before, so price increases are inevitable.

They surely are fun to shoot.

T.R.
April 15, 2013, 08:11 PM
Its not that things are going UP. Your dollars are worth LESS.

TR

YZ
April 15, 2013, 11:19 PM
xxx

Kiln
April 16, 2013, 03:19 AM
The $/RR exchange rate is about the same as 10 years ago.

It is not a currency concern. These are world's only 60-70 year old, long discontinued, unissued battle rifles. Unprecedented. They've been undervalued for so long, it seemed normal.

That's what it is. The demand is catching up to the supply. In 10-15 years the Mosin will sell for double what it does now and people will still think it's a good deal.

Ignition Override
April 16, 2013, 04:08 AM
YZ:
And the Ukraine has the Black Sea for easy shipping down through the Bospurus, into the Med. etc.
The Black Sea must be a year-round port that doesn't freeze.

How about the Finnish Mosins? Has it been years since any considerable quantities were imported?

Ash
April 16, 2013, 07:02 AM
The only Mosins left in Finland are handfuls of different models in private hands as well as the TKIV-85. The former can be imported but it's a lot of work. The latter are still issue rifles, if reserve issue now. When or if they come up, their price will be way up there.

But every now and then something interesting shows up like the Czech VZ54/91's. But they, too, are expensive. The only general issue Mosins available right now are coming out of the Ukraine, some out of Russia, plus a trickle from Albania.

mo_dingo
April 17, 2013, 12:50 AM
Just paid $300 for a M39. Hope that helps!

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosins going up $$$???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!