Best budget 30-06.

PDA

Jsg81
April 3, 2013, 10:19 PM
What is the best value for a 30-06? I want to spend no more than $500ish for rifle and scope.

I have a 30-30 for most short to medium range shooting and want something that will hit harder a little further out. What should I be looking at?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best budget 30-06." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
C-grunt
April 3, 2013, 10:29 PM
While the newer "budget" rifles seem to be pretty decent from what people say I just can't get over how they feel to me. They just feel cheap. For 500 bucks you could probably find a nice used Remington/Winchester/Savage/Ruger.

Elkins45
April 3, 2013, 10:35 PM
I like the Ruger best of the budget guns, but you can get several non-budget models for $500.

kludge
April 3, 2013, 10:37 PM
I'd go with Marlin or Stevens, then put a $150 Redfield on it, or a $200 Burris on sale.

TexasPatriot.308
Savage or a low end Weatherby, still a great firearm.

Jlr2267
Marlin makes a nice bolt-06...I think they call the newest version the XS7.

adelbridge
April 3, 2013, 10:38 PM
You can get Remington 700's for under $500.
If you can sniff out good from bad used rifles the world is your oyster.

Steel Horse Rider
April 3, 2013, 10:42 PM
Before the mad rush I looked at a CZ American in 30-06 with a scope for just over $500 so if you are patient there were good ones out there, the trick is to be in the right place at the right time.

ceetee
April 3, 2013, 10:53 PM
I own a pre-Remington Marlin XL-7, and I've got about your budget in it. The rifle itself was just over $300. The scope is a discontinued Bushnell 4200 Elite that cost me just under $200. I almost felt bad buying expensive Leupold rings to set it in. :p

I have zero complaints. I've only had it to the range once, but just fooling around getting it somewhat sighted in I was easily getting 2" groups at 100 yards. I don't handload, so I'll have to experiment to find out what ammunition it likes best. I have no doubts that the rifle can shoot a heckuva lot better than 2 moa.

Sure it ain't fancy, and there are plenty prettier, but I think it's well worth what it cost.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g34/cottontail001/XL7_1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g34/cottontail001/XL7_2.jpg

Onward Allusion
April 3, 2013, 11:15 PM
I went through the same quandary a while back. The new budget entry level 30-06's like the Savage Axis, Remington 770, or Mossberg ATR all look and feel cheap. Don't get me wrong, everything I'd read about them was pretty good, especially the Axis, but when I actually handled one in the stores, it showed why they were all below $350 out the door.

I went with a lightly used Savage 110 in 30-06.

MountainBear
April 4, 2013, 01:05 AM
Howa 1500.

cal30_sniper
April 4, 2013, 01:47 AM
I bought a used Savage 110 in .30-06 when I was in your shoes. Looking back, I really wish that I'd spent that same $300 on an old Interarms Mark X Mauser in .30-06. The Savage just feels cheap, no matter what you do to it.

One of my favorite $300 guns that I've picked up was an old Husqvarna Model 640 in .270, built off an FN Commercial 98 Mauser receiver. The rifle speaks pure class. It's topped off with a $75-100 vintage steel tube Weaver K6 scope. That's way more rifle and optics combo than you will ever get with $500 buying new budget stuff, IMO.

Bushpilot
April 4, 2013, 02:47 AM
2nd on Howa 1500

T.R.
April 4, 2013, 06:34 AM
You can certainly buy a new Savage complete with cheap plastic stock, plastic trigger guard, streamlined manufacturing processes, and stellular accurasy. But if it were me, I'd search for a lightly used Remington slide action 7600 or 760. They're very accurate and fast handling for a quick second shot. I really like the way they point quickly, too.

TR

jmr40
April 4, 2013, 07:31 AM
Weatherby Vanguard or Howa 1500 are essentially the same gun priced new under $500 with synthetic stocks. I wouldn't even consider them budget guns, but first quality rifles, put a nice stock on them and you have pretty good quality. The downside is that they are the heaviest rifles made. I've had a few over the years. Great rifles, but overweight for my needs.

You can find Remington 700 ADL's new for under $500. I think the Vanguard/Howa is a slightly better rifle, but I'd rank the 700 above it just to get a lighter rifle.

I cannot suggest the Savage Axis, Ruger American or Mossberg rifles. Nothing wrong with them, but for the cost of 2-3 boxes of ammo difference there are just much better choices.

Your best bet is a first quality Ruger,Remington, or Winchester bought used. I've bought/sold/traded hundreds of guns in my lifetime and have had more problems buying new than used. Very few centerfire big game rifles are shot enough to come close to wearing them out. At least 80% of the guns I've owned in my life were bought used.

wjt
April 4, 2013, 07:37 AM
Looking for a $500 .30-06 ? Here you go, take your pick. May take a while to decide.

http://www.tradeexcanada.com/produits/95 .

Jsg81
April 4, 2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. I guess now I need to start shopping.

lobo9er
April 4, 2013, 08:03 AM
99-150 dollar Mosin Nagant. just say'n great ballistics on the cheap. Just an idea if your not totally set on 30-06

Zeke/PA
April 4, 2013, 08:15 AM
I like the Savage offerings and my Savage Edge in .30-'06 is a great example.
I mounted a 2X -7X Nikon and 1& 1/4" groups with reloads are common.

MtnCreek
April 4, 2013, 08:19 AM
When shopping, give the TC Venture a look too. IMHO, I'd take a venture over a 110 or 700 any day.

fanchisimo
April 4, 2013, 09:05 AM
If you can wait till near firearms deer season, Bass pro has savages with a scope for under $500. Mine came with a bushnell a few years back but I think they are nikons now. They are non-accutrigger, though.

bluekouki86
April 4, 2013, 09:43 AM
I bought a savage 110 pre acutrigger for $200 with a 3-9x scope on it. The trigger is factory adjustable, smooth action, and the walnut stock looks much better than the new plastic junk. It will shoot 1" groups at 200 yards all day long.

Elkins45
April 4, 2013, 01:27 PM
When shopping, give the TC Venture a look too. IMHO, I'd take a venture over a 110 or 700 any day.
I forgot about the Venture. I have one in .223 and it easily outshoots my (formerly owned) Remington 700 in the same caliber.

Howa is also a good choice, but the poster who mentioned the used Mauser takes the prize. Whenever a question involves rifles, the 98 Mauser or some variant is always my first answer. 100+ years later and they still haven't invented a better rifle. If I weren't a lefty every rifle I own would be built on a Mauser platform.

Cee Zee
April 4, 2013, 02:39 PM
You can buy a walnut stocked Savage for under $500. I don't know why people think all Savages are plastic. They're not. For many years the Savage was considered to be by far the best budget rifle. Marlin was a close second. Mossberg was close in that field too.

Don't get a Savage Axis though. They are cheap and can't be upgraded. And whatever you do don't get a Remington 770 or a 710. They stink.

I bought a Savage 110 used. It came without an AccuTrigger. Now a 110 without an AT is called a Stevens 200. That's the best rifle for entry level prices. But $500 is not entry level money. For $558 you can get this Savage 110 TH XP 30-06 (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/78195/Savage+110+TH+XP+30-06+NIKON) but remember this comes with a Nikon scope. That's actually a very good scope and not some cheap Mattel scope like most manufacturers will put on a rifle. And this is a walnut stocked rifle.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/78190.jpg

No doubt you could find this rifle somewhere else without the scope if you wanted and it would be under $500 for the rifle. That scope is about $175 these days. I have two of them myself and I use them a lot.

This rifle does have the AccuTrigger too. It is a big improvement over almost all other manufacturers stock triggers. This is a very nice rifle IMO and it is in stock. Oh yeah. That price includes shipping to your FFL. IMO you will be hard press to find a better rifle for around $500. Very hard pressed in fact.

BTW my 110 doesn't feel cheap at all to me and they have improved the looks of these rifles a lot. I forgot to mention this is a 30.06 rifle. And maybe most important you can upgrade along the Savage upgrade path to any point you want to say enough. You can change your own barrels and even change caliber with a few simple tools. You can't do that with most rifles. Personally I'd probably go with a .308 now because short action rifles have more options now but mine is a 30.06. And I love mine.

bantam9
April 4, 2013, 02:56 PM
I was in the same boat as you a month ago. Looking around I found a $499
Browning A-bolt composite stalker. Way more gun in my opinion, than a lot of the $350 guns out there for not much more.

Averageman
April 4, 2013, 06:17 PM
I like the Savage also.
If you don't mind a used Gun I would imagine you could save several hundred Dollars that way. I don't see a lot of pressure here in Texas on Hunting rifles, there are still many good deals out there.
I bought a very sweet Savage Model 11 for $300 OTD a year or so ago. It is remarkablly accuracte and the Accutrigger is a very good system.
Can't say enough about how pleased I am with it.

Cee Zee
April 4, 2013, 06:40 PM
I totally agree with buying a used Savage. I bought my 110 for $225 and that was with a scope. Most people buy them and shoot them about 5 times to sight them in before deer season then they take them hunting and maybe shoot twice. And then they stick them in a closet until the next deer season. The only problem I had was the walnut stock warped after I had the rifle a while. I don't really know why. I replaced it with a B&C synthetic stock which has been great (and far better than the plastic stocks Savage makes).

USAF_Vet
April 4, 2013, 08:33 PM
I picked up a Savage Axis in .30-06 with scope for just over $350 after taxes.

The scope isn't the greatest thing in the world, but should get the job done for deer 300 yards out in an open field.

fdashes
April 4, 2013, 08:43 PM
Went through the same decision making process. I picked a Ruger American in 30/06. I may feel a little light and flimsy but man does it shoot. ;)

jon_in_wv
April 4, 2013, 10:13 PM
My vote is also the Savage, or more precisely the Stevens 200 which is the Pre Accutrigger version. I recently bought one for about $200 bucks, I put a Dednutz mount and a Redfield scope on it for about another $200. Its a great shooter for $400.

788Ham
April 4, 2013, 10:16 PM
I've got a Remington 700 ADL from the mid 70's, '06 with Redfield Wideview scope 4X, this rifle is a shooter! I was at the range 2 days ago, shot 4 rds @ 100 yds, 1/2" group, 3" high above DC bull. See if you can find an older Remington, they're out there.

soonerfan85
April 4, 2013, 11:37 PM
Another vote for the Savage. Here's my 111 in 30-06 with Burris scope. Bought lightly used last year for $350. Nothing fancy, but boy is she a shooter when I do my part.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/triumphdaytonafan/2012-12-14165644_zps7f9fa4ed.jpg

Here's what she'll do at 100yds when I don't get in the way. First shot at upper left is dead center. Boy, didn't remember her kicking like that! Second shot was a little low and left. Wow, felt that one. I really pulled the third shot as I was thinking more about the recoil than my shot. :banghead:
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/triumphdaytonafan/2012-12-14165309_zpsd8f77a81.jpg

If you're looking for a solid hunting rifle for a reasonable price, you won't go wrong with a used Savage, and you'll have plenty of $ left for ammo.

stonecoldy
April 5, 2013, 12:00 AM
A pre-Remington Marlin .30-06 XL-7 is potentially a good choice. Mine (when I owned it) is a sub 1" shooter at 100 yards with 165 gr. Remington 165 gr PSP factory load and Federal 220 gr RNSPs (Speer bullet) load. Had a good deal on a .338 Winchester Mag and was good trade bait plus some cash.

Gtscotty
April 5, 2013, 06:42 AM
I think if I were in the market for a good budget gun I would take a hard look at the Ruger American. It has several nice features you generally have to pay more for like a 60 degree bolt lift, rotary box mag, Hammer Forged barrel, a decent bedding system and a 6 lb weight. The majority of the reviews I've read on the American focus on it's purportedly stellar accuracy.

A few reviews by Real Guns:

http://www.realguns.com/articles/383.htm

http://www.realguns.com/articles/484.htm

Beyond that I'd look at a Howa or Vanguard S2, but both of those options are going to be a good bit heavier and eat up more of your budget.

Bull Nutria
April 5, 2013, 07:22 AM
I have TC Venture in 7mm08 that is a very nice for the money shooter with a bushnell elite 3x10 scope solid 1 moa shooter with my reloads. bolt is smooth trigger very nice.

Bull

Arkansas Paul
April 5, 2013, 08:25 AM
I got my Weatherby Vanguard for $390 brand new and Wally World. I love the thing. It is super accurate. It is a little on the heavy side though.

Also, we got my wife's rifle, a Ruger M77, used at a pawn shop with scope for in the $425 range.

I would suggest looking the used route. While a lot of things are scarce right now, hunting rifles are still there to be had a good prices.

wlewisiii
April 5, 2013, 08:50 AM
New? Savage.

I'd rather go to a gun show though and find an old sporterized Mauser 98 instead for $150 ~ 200 and spend the rest on a nice 4x or 6x fixed power scope.

Geno
April 5, 2013, 09:46 AM
I read an article in one of the big gun magazines recently, testing .30-06s in rifles averaging around $550. I don't recall which magazine it is, but I have it somewhere around in my mess called a "Man Cave". Anyhow, the Winchester M70 came in first place with best accuracy and zero failures. Weatherby's Vanguard, I believe, came in at 2nd place. I'll try to locate the article, and update if I do find it.

Geno

petrey10
April 5, 2013, 11:30 AM
hands down a stevens 200... when you want to add stuff later this rifle will give you one of the most customizable actions available

shaggy430
April 5, 2013, 12:02 PM
Look for a good used Winchester Model 70 or Savage at a pawn shop. Buy a good set of rings. Put this on it.

http://swfa.com/Sightron-3-9x40-SI-Riflescope-P9199.aspx

You should be at about $400-$500.

wolverine_173
April 5, 2013, 12:23 PM
i also vote for the marlin xl7. great gun

Col. Plink
April 5, 2013, 12:39 PM
Best budget gun I ever bought was a Mossberg 100ATR 30'06.
Cold bore shot was dead-on the crosshairs at 100yds with cheap glass. What's not to love?
Oh, the recoil; that's what's not to love... (synthetic stock).

Inebriated
April 5, 2013, 05:41 PM
Savage 111.

Comes with Nikon scope, Accutrigger, and sub-moa accuracy from most folks' accounts. The stock is kind of bad if you plan to use a bipod or rest, but for field positions with a sling, it works well enough.

Crosser
April 5, 2013, 11:00 PM
times 2

Arkansas Paul
April 5, 2013, 11:04 PM
I'll try to locate the article, and update if I do find it.

I'd like to read that. Please do.

Cee Zee
April 6, 2013, 01:38 AM
OK you made me do this. Let's talk about the ability of bone stock, out of the box Savages to win international competitions against custom built rifles. If anyone can show me where other rifles are doing that on a regular basis (like Savage is) then I'll start to consider them to be on the same level as a Savage.

Like it or not Savage is leader of putting top technology into stock rifles today. New innovations cost money to implement and Savage is the company spending that money to upgrade. Companies like Remington are seriously cutting corners. For example people have been lumping the Axis in with the Remington 770. Wow is that ever a bad comparison. The Axis is 5 times better than the 770. The 770 is about the worst piece of junk I've ever picked up except for possibly the 710. I might buy them if I was supplying arms to the enemy but I sure as heck wouldn't buy them for my side. People want to talk about how the gun magazines rate rifles, the Axis has been listed as being a sub-MOA rifle in tests I've seen. And it's a $300 rifle brand new. No other budget rifles produce that kind of accuracy.

So for my money Savage is producing the best equipment from top to bottom. I constantly hear how other rifles are as good as Savage on the high end but for some reason no one wins competitions with them. I hear how Axis and the 770 are equals yet the gun mags pretty much all agree that's wrong. They say the Axis is great and the 770 is junk. Take this article (http://www.topgunreview.com/best/rifle/budget-bolt-actions/) for example. I certainly don't agree with their comparison methods where they "guess" which rifle will be more reliable and durable (that's just stupid) but they do reveal some things that aren't about guessing. Things like accuracy, fit and finish. They place the Stevens near the middle of this list (6th place out of 10 rifles) but the knock they put on them is based on their guessing and not what they actually see. Keep in mind that they also include far more expensive rifles. If you compare just the rifles in the $300 range and you throw out the stuff they guessed about you have some useful information. And once again the 770 ranks well below everything on the list. And I'm talking useful stuff like accuracy and fit and finish. I wouldn't get into guessing about the durability of these rifles but I've seen 770's and they are plastic junk. I own what is essentially a Stevens 200 (a Savage 110 without an AccuTrigger) and it's 20 years old and still going strong. So much for it not being durable.

At any rate, just as I said, this article puts the 770 much lower than the Axis, which is it's true competition. They are priced similar but in every test like this I've seen they rank far lower.

Add the fact that the top end Savages are actually going out and doing things the other rifle makers can only dream of doing and I think the choice is very, very clear. Savage is making the best products for the money period. Again show me a Howa or Weatherby that is winning popular international competitions and I'll start to believe they are catching up to Savage. I have Savages and some of them shoot fine (like my 110) but some of them shoot fantastic (like my 12 not to mention my MkIIBTV .22). I just don't see any company matching what they're doing. That's why I've been buying mostly Savages for the last 5 years. I also buy a lot of Marlins but they are all rimfire rifles.

Inebriated
April 6, 2013, 01:47 AM
Cee Zee is right on the money.

plateshooter
April 6, 2013, 06:25 AM
My bolt guns are all Savages except for one Mdl 70 Winchester. That being said, I was on a hog hunt last weekend. There was a Dr and his son there. The Doc used a 30-06 and the son used a .243 both Remington 770s. I was checking their rifles out and I was pretty impressed with them for the price they paid. For an inexpensive rifle that came with a 3X9 Bushnell scope, they seemed like a good value for a utility gun. The both got their hogs and both with one shot.

The 770 worked fine for their uses and they were happy with them.

03Shadowbob
April 6, 2013, 07:04 AM
I just bought the new Ruger American in 30-06 and put a Bushnell DOA600 scope on it for right at $500. Only able to shoot a few rounds at 70 yards but the holes were all touching. The recoil, thanks to the new pad, feels just a tad stronger than a 243. The trigger was absolutely amazing.
Great gun and most all reviews and reports are positive on handling, recoil and accuracy out to long ranges.
I've had and still have a couple Savages and at the low price point the American is far better than the savages in everyway other than maybe accuracy and that has yet to be fully determined but early results are favorable. The American just has so many better features for the money then the 110 or 111 series.
That being said, I love Savage guns. You definitely can't go wrong with one especially if you like to tinker with them and customize one.

Sav .250
April 6, 2013, 07:58 AM
Savage puts out a package. Rifle/scope. Great set-up.

David Clark
April 6, 2013, 09:50 AM
03 is right. The Ruger is just so much better then the savage and I have lots of savages in my safe. Short bolt lift, full round body bolt, just to many thing's going for it to even comepare the two, and vthe barrel fits on like a Savage so you can change them if you want.
Dave

Cee Zee
April 7, 2013, 02:39 AM
Bolt lift and a "full round body bolt" are not the things that make me choose a rifle. And if you're comparing the American to a 111 then you're saying an entry level rifle is better than a rifle that is clearly a step up in production class. You'd be in the minority on that view. I looked around and pretty much everyone that has tried both say the Savage is more accurate. Everyone knows the value of the AccuTrigger too. I understand that Ruger has updated their trigger and made it adjustable. You do understand they pretty much had to do that just to stay in business right? After Savage set the standard not many people wanted a rifle without a better trigger. And I would still say the AT design if far better. It has inherent safety features that the Ruger totally lacks. You can set the trigger to a low pull weight without worrying about it going off from being bumped. That's a huge improvement IMO. There's a reason companies never set hunting rifle triggers down to light pull weights. At least they didn't do it until Savage showed them how to do it. They completely revolutionized triggers on hunting rifles in fact. If you've ever had to set your rifle down to climb over a barbed wire fence but you didn't want to just lay it down in the mud but you were totally worried about it falling over and going off then you'll know why the AT was such a huge improvement. You can have your light trigger and have it be safe too. Again my friend, that's huge. And Ruger still lacks that feature. All they did was allow you to adjust the trigger down to a lower pull weight. IMO they are just asking for a disaster by doing that. I could introduce them to a guy I went to school with but he won't be able to shake hands properly if you get my drift.

So we have better accuracy and more safety with a better trigger vs. a "full round body bolt". You also have a $550 rifle with a $175 scope installed AND and actual walnut stock vs. a plastic stock and an adjustable trigger with a questionable safety design. Yeah the bolt doesn't get me past those issues at all. You can take the scope off and have a rifle that's equally priced with the American or close to it. One will be synthetic and one will be walnut. The one with the walnut will be more accurate according to almost every review I read. And I know what my Savages will do. You will just have to come to see what my 12 will do because I'm not telling you just to have you call me a liar. But there's no way in heck that American will shoot as accurately as it does. Not a chance. No it isn't a 111 but those are pretty accurate too. Savage has been well known for selling accurate rifles for a very long time now. Ruger has been selling over priced Hawkeyes with heavy triggers that are sloppy too according to many. They jumped into the entry level field because Savage was taking all the rifle business. You can bet on that. And they did an OK job. But better than Savage??? No way. Accuracy and features are both better on the Savage and the entry level Ruger is priced at the same level as the big step up in class Savage 111. The American is really on the level of the Axis.

BTW you might be able to take the barrel off that American but what will you be able to find to put back on it? Ask the same question about a 111. You can build that 111 up to be world class if you want. The American is not a 10_22. You can't find an endless supply of parts to upgrade it. You can for the 111.

Eb1
April 7, 2013, 04:12 AM
I went with a pre-Rem Marlin XL-7 in .25-06 @ $256.00. I put a Boyds stock on it for $109.00. Talley Mounts @ $60. And an Elite 4200 3x9 @ $289.00.

It is a superb hunting rifle. I have around $700.00 in the rifle. I didn't have to put a Boyds stock on it, and didn't need the Talley Mounts. That would have taken off the $170.00.

It shoot basic Remington 100 grain factory at just over an inch @ 100 yards. It shoot Winchester Supreme 115 grain CTBT coated bullets at 1" @ 200 yards, and my hand loads with that bullet and IMR 4350 into an inch at 100 yards.
I am working to get the Nosler 100 grain BT over RL 19 working, but I haven't been able to get to the range to test them. We'll see how that goes tomorrow.
The only thing I wish is that it had a 24" barrel for the .25-06, but for a .30-05 you shouldn't notice the difference. I'd take one in .30-06 in a heartbeat.

Cee Zee
April 7, 2013, 06:12 AM
Marlin makes some nice rifles Eb1. And they sell them at great prices most of the time. I have a bunch of Marlins but they're all .22's. I wouldn't have any problems buying a center fire though. I wouldn't have any problems buying a Ruger either. I just think Savage makes the best of the bunch. That doesn't make the other rifles bad by any means.

BTW I have several "Remlins" and they are all great rifles except for maybe my 925. It isn't as accurate as it should be but no rifle maker is perfect. I have some that shoot better than they should too. I have 4 Remlins in fact. 3 out of 4 are excellent. I also went through the rack at a LGS looking at lever action Marlins. They had about 15 of them and they let you check the rifles out all you want there. They're sitting on a rack so you don't even have to ask about looking them. Not one of the 15 I looked at had a problem with the action or the sights being canted. I came very close to buying a .45-70 at that shop. Dang that thing was beautiful. But I bought a CZ there instead. Still all those Marlins looked to be problem free to me. I know there have been problems but I think most of the stuff they have made is fine. That's been my experience anyway. I wouldn't worry about buying a new Marlin at all especially if it came from the Mayfield, KY plant. I know there were some problems with sights there too. Moving and setting up at a new location is tough. I'm still trying to move all my stuff out of my house just about 5 months after I started. I still own the other house and winter slowed me down a lot plus I'm no spring chicken either. But moving can be a bear especially if you have been at one place a long time like I was and like Marlin was. But things are getting back to normal there IMO. It's slow but it's happening.

03Shadowbob
April 7, 2013, 08:21 AM
Cee Zee,
Are you saying the manual tang mounted safety on the American doesn't keep the rifle from firing if dropped from 2 or 3'? As far as the AT, it was a huge improvement for hunting rifles, I totally agree. Not sure why you believe it is better than the American. The Marksman trigger is similar to Glock's safety trigger and i have my doubts it will have a ND if dropped. The fit and finish on the American is better than the 111 (which is the equivalent to an American cost wise which is what I am comparing, not a model 10 or 12). The ruger has a rotary mag that is detachable. Doesn't mean a lot to me but the bolt release is easier on the American.
I had a very nice model 10 and still have a 111 in 30-06. I have the American in 30-06. I see no difference in accuracy in my short time shooting the American.
Do you also have an American or just comparing Internet notes on them?

Cee Zee
April 8, 2013, 11:44 PM
No rifle is likely to fire with the safety on. But there are times when the safety might get accidentally left off. There are reasons they make hunting rifles have heavier triggers. Not firing from being dropped or falling over when the safety might have been left off or when you're holding the rifle getting ready to take a shot and something happens to make you drop the rifle - that's a good thing and the AccuTrigger is designed to prevent that and still give you a light trigger pull.

I had a deer come flying through the brush at me one day with a dog right on it's heels. It must have been going at least 35 through a blind briar patch. Him and his antlers missed me by about a foot. If I would have been drawing a bead on another deer at the time that happened who knows what could have been the result. Things happen.

As for accuracy, yes I'm going by posted results on the net and the accuracy of my old 110. And my 12 is just ridiculously accurate. It's not that hard to make any Savage that accurate. It's going to be hard to find upgrade parts for a Ruger American at this point. And just to be honest here, one person's ability to shoot a rifle more accurate begs the question a bit. How do we know it's just not a limit on your ability to shoot friend? It's just that I've seen a lot of reports that say different than what you say. I thought I said I was basing what I thought on reports since I haven't seen an American in the field.

fanchisimo
April 9, 2013, 01:35 AM
I was always taught to use the safety, just don't rely on it. As a mechanical device, it is always subject to failure.

Cee Zee
April 9, 2013, 08:55 AM
I was always taught to use the safety, just don't rely on it.

Exactly. A safety can be pushed off accidentally or whatever. I've seen it happen more than once. A tang safety is usually pretty secure but not always. Nothing is always. That's why the gun company lawyers have always got their way on heavy triggers. A gun that will fire when you drop it with the safety off or on is a gun that might cost them a bundle. And it might cost us a life.

Kachok
April 9, 2013, 09:25 AM
Best budget rifles in my book have been the Savage 110 or 111 for years now, they really are that good. I have one in 270 WSM and another in 30-06, both are superb. Paid $386 for the most recent one, and it even came with a toy scope for my next BB gun :D Ripped that toy off of it and topped it with a Leopold VXII and Reaper one piece rings/mounts, now it is ready for action. They do make a package deal Savage (Laminate stock) with a Nikon Prostaff for around $550, I cannot vouch for the rings it comes with but the Nikon Prostaff is the best value scope on the market I have several of them and am thoroughly impressed.

03Shadowbob
April 10, 2013, 06:17 AM
You are reaching a bit CZ. The trigger on the Ruger is just as safe if not safer that the Savage. Read up on it.
In regards to accuracy, I've been shooting for 31 years. I know my capabilities and limitations.

petrey10
April 10, 2013, 03:13 PM
there is no way the american can come close the the customizable features on the Savage action... there just isn't a market for it. Sorry.

shafter
April 10, 2013, 03:22 PM
What is the best value for a 30-06? I want to spend no more than $500ish for rifle and scope.

M1 Garand for $525 from the CMP. Best value for so many reasons.

03Shadowbob
April 10, 2013, 05:34 PM
I agree 100% petrey but I don't think that was a prerequisite. When you start customizing you're above $500 pretty quick

Cee Zee
April 11, 2013, 10:09 AM
The trigger on the Ruger is just as safe if not safer that the Savage.

There's a reason for that. Ruger copied the AccuTrigger completely on the American. I wasn't familiar with that rifle. It's pretty easy to keep up when you steal the ideas of your competitors. I think that's a pretty good compliment to Savage though. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery they say.

And I've been shooting for 50 years.

Inebriated
April 11, 2013, 07:00 PM
I'd like to see a side-by-side test of the Ruger American, Savage Axis, and Savage 111/11.

All three are withing $100 of each other, and it would be pretty nice to see how they group.

Unless Ruger copied Savages barrels as well, my money would be on both Savages to print better groups. Love Ruger, but never fired a factory Ruger that left me impressed with its accuracy. Who's got an American in .30-06 they want to send me for testing?

03Shadowbob
April 12, 2013, 07:18 AM
CZ, I'm glad you admit you weren't familiar with the American yet you are quick to down play it. I believe the AT blocks the sear where the Marksman blocks the trigger and yes ruger copied the design/idea.
Ill see if I can get both the 111 and American to the range in next few weeks and put them both in lead sled and fire 3 shots at 100 yards and post the groups here.

Inebriated
April 12, 2013, 10:47 AM
Sounds cool.

ldlfh7
April 12, 2013, 12:02 PM
Buds gun shop is selling the Ruger American Rifle in 30-06 for $349 with free shipping. This is a fine rifle for the price.

MK75
April 12, 2013, 10:54 PM
I have heard nothing but great things about the Ruger American Rifle.
Happy Hunting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best budget 30-06." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!