Political Accountability - NASCAR Style

PDA

MoscowMike
April 3, 2013, 10:24 PM
While I realize this gets close to a purely political post, I would like to draw your attention to this petition on the White House site -

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/require-congressmen-senators-wear-logos-their-financial-backers-their-clothing-much-nascar-drivers/vZBQJ18R

By requiring politicians to publicly identify their sponsors, it lets those of us on any side of the gun rights issue know where their financial support is coming from. I'm astonished the idea hasn't gotten more than 30,000 votes in the last couple of weeks. Yes, it's silly, but the point is that when a politician is bought and paid for, we all need to know.

We don't need to get into a money in politics discussion here, but if you think it's a good gadfly tactic, publicize the petition and sign it yourself.

If you enjoyed reading about "Political Accountability - NASCAR Style" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Yo Mama
April 4, 2013, 09:08 AM
I think everyone is tired of .gov petitions. They really do little. It's more effective to call and write your reps often, and to encourage everyone else you know to do the same.

Ryanxia
April 4, 2013, 11:15 AM
I think everyone is tired of .gov petitions. They really do little. It's more effective to call and write your reps often, and to encourage everyone else you know to do the same.
Listen to Yo Mama :D

Bill4282
April 4, 2013, 01:44 PM
Just because you petition doesn't mean they have to do anything, even read it. In their world, rarely does a politician read his/her mail - they have staffers that handle it, including mailing back standard form letters or emails. The best impact anyone can have is to have enough people support an issue and flood their mailboxes so it slows down their workflow.

slidemuzik
April 4, 2013, 04:51 PM
The petition websight from the White House is 100% a public relations ploy designed to make it look like they are responsive to the public's concerns. PERIOD. They are not above manipulating the number of petitioners.

I think it's the first step in conditioning people to accept using the internet as a legitimate means of interaction with the government. IMHO I think they would love to use it in the voting process eventually because it could be manipulated so easily. You think voter fraud is a problem now?

The petition sight is not just a waste of time, it's a potentially dangerous waste of time.

Bill4282
April 4, 2013, 05:05 PM
PS - 30,000 posts is probably less than the voting population in any Federal level politician's smallest county. That many responses are considered a nonissue at their level.

MoscowMike
April 5, 2013, 12:26 PM
Several very good points.

This is a gadfly petition, raising the issue of where politicians are getting financial support. In the internet age that information should be readily and clearly available for every political figure. We need to find ways of making that happen.

If they are manipulating the numbers, and that information ever gets out it would be really bad publicity so I am dubious about that happening, but it's possible.

This is pretty much off topic for THR, so I suggest we let it drop.

I'm off to a birthday party this evening where my present will be one round of ammunition for each year he's been around. Fortunately he shoots .22 instead of .416 Rigby!

If you enjoyed reading about "Political Accountability - NASCAR Style" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!