S&S Casting

PDA

rightside
April 4, 2013, 12:14 AM
I have never loaded anything except jacketed or plated bullets. But times being what they are I thought I might need to try something else.

Anyone have any experience with S&S bullets? Good - OK -Oh No. :)

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "S&S Casting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ljnowell
April 4, 2013, 01:12 AM
S&S makes a quality product. I, like many others here, prefer Missouri Bullet for many reasons. I doubt you will be unhappy with the product from S&S though.

Searcher4851
April 4, 2013, 10:27 AM
I picked up some of their bullets at a local gun show just to try out, and they're of reasonable quality and pretty consistent. The only thing I had against them is that they're a bit harder than I like to shoot, but that didn't stop me from shootin em up anyhow.

chasgrips45
April 4, 2013, 10:46 AM
That was just the question I had. I don`t reload ,but I bought some SWC from an outfit called selway armory. Is there any concrete reason that we must shoot a plated or jacketed bullet? These are 240grain 44 mag lead rounds. Aside from keeping the gun`s bore clean, is there really that much difference? I`m going to shoot them through a Henry, or ruger 96/44 lever action, just to make holes in paper.

ljnowell
April 4, 2013, 03:18 PM
That was just the question I had. I don`t reload ,but I bought some SWC from an outfit called selway armory. Is there any concrete reason that we must shoot a plated or jacketed bullet? These are 240grain 44 mag lead rounds. Aside from keeping the gun`s bore clean, is there really that much difference? I`m going to shoot them through a Henry, or ruger 96/44 lever action, just to make holes in paper.

Must shoot jacketed or plated? Heavens no! I would wager that in the past the majority of people rarely ever did. I load over 15k rounds a year and 99.9999% of those are lead bullets.

I find that they are as accurate, and in many cases more accurate than a jacketed bullet. They provide other advantages too, like cost, less wear on barrel, etc.

chasgrips45
April 4, 2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks ljnowell , I guess that the more modern firearms like the Glock handgun don`t like bullets. It seems that some of the ammo suppliers are starting to sell LRN & SWC ammo. It seems that they are a lot less expensive. I`ve been a handgunner since the early 70s,but it`s still amazing to me to just go through & read posts in the rifle forum ,for example. the pooled knowledge is endless. Ballistics, bullet, weights ,calibers etc. A lot to learn .

oldfortyfiveauto
April 4, 2013, 10:45 PM
S&S Casting is local to me. Jim is great to work with and the product works well. I've shot pretty much every caliber he offers and have a few thousand on order now.

hey_poolboy
April 4, 2013, 11:33 PM
I've shot thousands of S&S bullets. I like them, and all of the lgs around here stock them, so they're easy to get ahold of.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Big Nugget
April 5, 2013, 12:56 AM
MO Bullet is good no doubt about it. But I'm very happy with the service provided by SNS. Great guys!!!

This was my last order from them. I should have ordered more 45.....
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b173/goodie_/IMG_6265_zps17059af5.jpg

A Pause for the Coz
April 5, 2013, 01:26 AM
Here is a great place to grab some cast bullets.

http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=dardas
Thing to watch out for:
Allot of cast bullet suppliers sell hard cast bullets.
You may think harder is better.
Not true. most loads especially non Magnum pistol loads work much much better with softer alloys. Softer alloys allow the bullets to engage the rifling better.
Shy away from those 21 -23 bn bullets.
They are only that hard to facilitate damage free shipping, Its not because they shoot better.
15BN or so will shoot much better.

ljnowell
April 5, 2013, 02:03 AM
Here is a great place to grab some cast bullets.

http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm5...re_Code=dardas
Thing to watch out for:
Allot of cast bullet suppliers sell hard cast bullets.
You may think harder is better.
Not true. most loads especially non Magnum pistol loads work much much better with softer alloys. Softer alloys allow the bullets to engage the rifling better.
Shy away from those 21 -23 bn bullets.
They are only that hard to facilitate damage free shipping, Its not because they shoot better.
15BN or so will shoot much better.

There is truth in that statement. One of the reasons that I like Missouri Bullet is because you can get bullets in different hardness for the application. In 38 special I load all the way down to a 10bhn.

J2FLAN
April 5, 2013, 07:02 PM
S&S Casting, I would say very good. I like them.
Got 2000 45 cal. 200gr lswc from them about a month ago, my first order from them ( my regular supplier was too backed up ) the bullets I recieved were first class, looks like, they came out of the mould nice & "clean" all the lube was in the right place in fact they looked better than the order I got from once MBC, which are fine bullets BTW. S&S says they are about 17 BHN, I loaded and shot 1000 of them so far, pushing the bullet with both, 3.5 & 4grs of BE. No leading at all, or more fouling than any other I have tryed. It took 6 days to get the order, not bad at all.
First time buyer here, so that is all I can say, except to say I would prefer them to some others I have tryed over the years.

stargeezer
April 5, 2013, 09:23 PM
I just loaded 4k 45acp and 2k 9mm with S&S bullets. I shoot them every year. While I'd stick to jacketed HP for self defense, a paper target can't tell the difference.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&S Casting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!