Bye Bye Beretta...

PDA

Arbo
April 4, 2013, 05:26 PM
Leaving MD, as expected...

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/beretta-leaves-maryland-following-stricter-gun-laws?utm_source=OV+Newsletter+List+2&utm_campaign=52afdd1673-OV_Newsletter_Apr_44_4_2013&utm_medium=email

If you enjoyed reading about "Bye Bye Beretta..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Derek Zeanah
April 4, 2013, 05:31 PM
Well, I can't stand the 92, but I could use a gun for sporting clays. I'll see if I can't support them...

Plan2Live
April 4, 2013, 08:28 PM
This quote was imbedded in the article found using the link;

One legislator stated: “Other than target shooting, the only other reason [for a semi-automic firearm] would be for self-defense… [Why would you need a] rifle that accommodates 20 rounds semi-automatic for deer hunting? … It’s only very infrequently that someone commits a crime with an assault weapon – why do you need one for self-defense?"

So if "assault weapons" are rarely used in a crime then why ban them? That's the equivilent of banning the sale of all cars capable of going more than 70mph simply because certain people occassionally use them to drive faster than the speed limit.

Captains1911
April 4, 2013, 08:43 PM
This quote was imbedded in the article found using the link;

One legislator stated: “Other than target shooting, the only other reason [for a semi-automic firearm] would be for self-defense… [Why would you need a] rifle that accommodates 20 rounds semi-automatic for deer hunting? … It’s only very infrequently that someone commits a crime with an assault weapon – why do you need one for self-defense?"

So if "assault weapons" are rarely used in a crime then why ban them? That's the equivilent of banning the sale of all cars capable of going more than 70mph simply because certain people occassionally use them to drive faster than the speed limit.
That paragraph makes as much sense to me as a football bat.

barnbwt
April 4, 2013, 08:48 PM
Gotta love that logic of a semi-auto only being useful for defeating a semi-auto. Not like multiple shots would be necessary for multiple guys or misses. :rolleyes: Even an idiot who's only seen guns in westerns knows that a Bandito with a six-gun can be a challenge without followup shots, and that you'd be SOL in a bar-fight with only 6 rounds on tap ;)

Good luck Maryland, may you serve as a warning to the next...probably Wyoming at this rate. All is not lost, apparently the Gunnies are "winning" if you can call it that, by passing gun-friendly legislation in more states than Bloomberg's victories (granted, they've been small potatoes by comparison). Finally, a Big Player is making a stand on this issue. Now if we could only get S&W, Winchester, Remington, and FNH to take sides, we'd get somewhere.

This could all be ended if a major ammo company threatened to refuse service to large metropolitan areas that are promoting gun control. The very notion of what mayhem would unfold would be enough to make these Mayors back down. Give them a taste of the heartless coercion they impose upon their citizens daily by limiting their access to firearms and ammuntion.

TCB

leadcounsel
April 4, 2013, 08:48 PM
When are the anti-gun crowd going to learn the silliness of their ways. Violation of rights, totally ineffective, counterproductive to safety, and drives businesses and jobs out. Kudos to Magpul leaving Colorado, and to Beretta leaving Maryland.

I've wondered why so many gun companies continue to stay in Illinois, Maryland, New York, CT, California, etc. Makes no sense. Move to a free state, and take your jobs with you.

CJW
April 4, 2013, 08:52 PM
Good. Let the Maryland Democrats feel the economic pain of their unconstitutional stupidity.

fdashes
April 4, 2013, 08:55 PM
Some wanting workers will welcome them with open arms. Nice way to create jobs MD. :mad:

glennv
April 4, 2013, 09:04 PM
Good for them. Nice to see the gun companies are taking action.

JohnnyK
April 4, 2013, 09:17 PM
that's what I call voting with your feet... does anyone know how many jobs this will impact or where they plan on moving to?

jbrown50
April 4, 2013, 09:25 PM
The Democrat's anti-gun zealotry is going to kill them in the 2014 elections and beyond. They're emboldened by their recent successes and are ignoring the warnings of factions within their own party.

-v-
April 4, 2013, 09:25 PM
Beretta alone is 400 jobs plus sub-contractors. No idea if the subcontractors will move, but that is 400 very good paying jobs that are leaving MD.

With more and more economic hurt being levied on by these companies leaving, I wonder how well the elections will go for those politicians who drove them out?

kwguy
April 4, 2013, 10:07 PM
Good. I'm glad they are moving out of there.

rifle that accommodates 20 rounds semi-automatic for deer hunting

And what is WITH these idiot politicians and 'deer hunting'. Seriously?

r1derbike
April 4, 2013, 10:10 PM
I am also a former Annapolis resident. I left MD in '94. Haven't looked back.

bigfinger76
April 4, 2013, 10:10 PM
Good. I love Beretta!

Caliper_RWVA
April 4, 2013, 10:12 PM
Huzzah! Glad to see job-makers voting with their feet/dollars!

This will probably make up my mind between a CZ75 and an M9!

JFrame
April 4, 2013, 10:23 PM
Good for Beretta!

I will henceforth fondle and fire my PX4 and 950 Jetfire with an additional bit of pleasure... :)

Spike_akers
April 4, 2013, 10:25 PM
The whole 'deer hunting' thing is bull. The second amendment is jot about our right to hunt, because back then you hunted for food not so much as sport. We have the right to have a 20rd mag for defence against a tyrannical govt. But good move beretta.

cfullgraf
April 4, 2013, 10:27 PM
Beretta alone is 400 jobs plus sub-contractors. No idea if the subcontractors will move, but that is 400 very good paying jobs that are leaving MD.

There will be some fall out effect of other businesses that rely on Beretta for some of their business. Parts and hardware suppliers, office supplies, food suppliers and all the related businesses for families.

The area of the Beretta facility will feel some hurt for a while.

Tomcat47
April 4, 2013, 10:33 PM
Not to mention as this carries on ( The stupidity ) watch DC crime start spilling over into Maryland .... Sad!

Kudos fro Beretta !

Deaf Smith
April 4, 2013, 10:58 PM
Well, I can't stand the 92, but I could use a gun for sporting clays. I'll see if I can't support them...
Me to!

The 92 grip is way to large for me but.... Say I already own a couple.. I have a WW2 1934 and a 1935 made in the '50s! But no new made Berettas.

Guess I'll have to get a NANO now!

Deaf

Black Knight
April 4, 2013, 11:40 PM
Since their warehouse is in Virginia we'll be glad to have their factory. We'll be glad to have them here anyway.

gspn
April 4, 2013, 11:41 PM
Good. I hope those idiot liberals screw themselves and their economy into the dirt.

Logic has left the building...they are governing by emotion and the need to fulfill their political agenda at any cost...and there is a cost. States are in tough enough fiscal waters right now...they can't afford to go running off big taxpayers.

Politicians are asking citizens to give up their freedom in exchange for security that they can't provide. It is an expensive and empty promise.

k_dawg
April 5, 2013, 12:10 AM
ANy official word from Beretta?

splithoof
April 5, 2013, 02:06 AM
When is a firearms manufacturer in a free state going to name a model after our glorious president? I think it would be a fitting tribute; it could be a large 50 cal semi with a huge magazine, and ship complete with his signature on the stock.

pockets
April 5, 2013, 06:53 AM
Good for Beretta.
The economy sucks, but Maryland politicians will let 400 jobs and millions of tax dollars leave the state without batting an eye? Dumber than I thought they were.
I only have 4 Berettas right now; M1935 (1943 date), 950B (1957 date), an early 21A, and a new 3032 (wide slide)......I need more from Beretta.

foghornl
April 5, 2013, 07:49 AM
I don't own any of Beretta's offerings, but I have shot a few of their pistols. I did feel that the "92" is a bit large for a 9MM, but otherwise a decent design.

Good for Beretta, bad for MD. I have sent e-mails/letters to a few other companies, encouraging them to move to Ohio, out of NY/CT/MD

CDW4ME
April 5, 2013, 08:25 AM
Good job Beretta. :D
I intend to support Beretta in my own small way, going to buy a Nano.

MagnunJoe
April 5, 2013, 09:09 AM
I lived in Bethesda, MD 4 years from 90 to 94. With out a doubt most of the state is ghetto loving because of the Baltimore and Washington metropolitan areas 5 million Marylanders live in a total urban concrete jungle & are subject to some of the highest crime rates in the nation.

Pilot
April 5, 2013, 09:14 AM
Beretta is not stupid. They are a business, and their plant, and equipment are getting near the end of their useful life, and are probably fully depreciated, and in need of replacement. Why not let another state foot some of the bill? They will get incentives for these excellent manufacturing jobs like grants, and low interest loans for land and buildings, new equipment, job training, tax abatements, etc.

This is a business decision that makes sense on many levels, but it is the bottom line that matters.

returningfire
April 5, 2013, 09:27 AM
Kudos to Beretta.

If nothing else let the State realize the repercussion of the poorly thought out decisions made by their idiots in power.

Personally, I am boycotting anything made in an anti gun state as well as not buying anything sold in one of those states or buy online from any company or person in those states. Nothing personal against the general population of said states, but the population will let their financial discomfort be known and communicated to the powers that be. I learned a long time ago to get someones attention you hit them in their wallet.

ConstantStudent
April 5, 2013, 09:42 AM
Strange, for the last several years my family vacationed every summer in Ocean City, MD. Now I don't want to go there this year. Wonder if it's worth telling them:

http://visitmaryland.org

:/

wojownik
April 5, 2013, 09:43 AM
I hope beretta can find a home right across the river here in Virginia. Their business and jobs would be more than welcome.

As far as the comments about the economic damage of companies like Beretta and Magpul moving out of their respective states, remember that the jobs impacted are likely not those that would be staffed by people likely to vote for the anti legislators anyway. So a pleasant side effect of this legislation may be to drive out folks who would have voted for the opposition anyway.

HOOfan_1
April 5, 2013, 09:51 AM
Since their warehouse is in Virginia we'll be glad to have their factory. We'll be glad to have them here anyway.

No doubt...we will need the jobs since a bunch of the military and defense jobs might be cut under this next Obama term

Joe Friday
April 5, 2013, 10:09 AM
Here in Illinois companies and people are leaving this bankrupt corrupt state. I wish I could too.

nathan
April 5, 2013, 10:11 AM
THey are moving where ?

Joe Friday
April 5, 2013, 10:16 AM
Some are going to Texas, some Indiana.

oneounceload
April 5, 2013, 10:44 AM
Wonder if those MD lawmakers should insist that the Aberdeen Proving Grounds also relocate since many weapons tested there are illegal in MD?

Losing 400 jobs AND 31 million in taxes directly from Beretta AND the taxes and economic impact those 400 high-paying jobs provided? WOW, where is the public outcry about that? I guess they figure they'll just raise taxes on those rich DC folks who live in MD

FitGunner
April 5, 2013, 10:48 AM
Here in Illinois companies and people are leaving this bankrupt corrupt state.

Some are going to Texas, some Indiana.

I did. So should Beretta, Rock River, etc. Texas welcomes the gun industry with open arms.

jmorris
April 5, 2013, 10:55 AM

Only problem is that 400 is nothing to them. They know that the largest employer in the US is the US Government and only seek to expand.

I hope some of you guys are right and they loose footing but with ever increasing numbers of folks on the take, it doesn't look good.

jmorris
April 5, 2013, 10:56 AM

Only problem is that 400 is nothing to them. They know that the largest employer in the US is the US Government and only seek to expand. Same thing State to State, bureaucracy is always the largest single employer.

I hope some of you guys are right and they loose footing but with ever increasing numbers of folks on the take, it doesn't look good.

usmarine0352_2005
April 5, 2013, 11:11 AM

Where are they moving to? Virginia?

$31 million in taxes is a lot of money to a smaller state like MD.

InkEd
April 5, 2013, 11:17 AM
I am extremely happy that one of the really big companies is pulling out of an anti-2a state!

Hopefully, some of the others will do the same.

berettaprofessor
April 5, 2013, 11:19 AM
In a few years, many, if not most of the gun manufacturers will be in the "red" states....that's good, because that's vastly different from 1860.

X-Rap
April 5, 2013, 12:20 PM
I hope there is a wave of migration to free states and distinct lines are drawn. Certainly these companies understand that they are in a fight for their very existance. Sure, Uncle Sugar will always need some guns and ammo but it won't come close to supporting them all or even the ones with good contracts.
Sad thing is that the media will report these moves and the reasons for job and revenue about as honestly as they report unemployment and other economic news.

OregonJohnny
April 5, 2013, 12:55 PM
I'm very happy to hear this. I know it has been discussed over the last few weeks, but this sounds official.

My favorite firearm of all time is the Beretta 92FS. Fits me great, shoots better than most of my other handguns, 100% reliable, smooth as butter and tight as a drum. I may just have to buy a few more now to start a small Beretta family.

EDIT: Actually, the articles that this story is linked to are all from back in February. This is old news, and no official word has been put forth yet by Beretta. But, let's hope they keep thinking this way, and it happens very soon.

9w1911
April 5, 2013, 01:02 PM
We just have to face the facts people do not want private gun ownership
We are in a battle and this is the front line for our civil liberties

radar1972
April 5, 2013, 01:15 PM
Good for Beretta!!

Plenty of states will welcome them with open arms and tax breaks.

KimberUltra
April 6, 2013, 12:23 AM
I hope stag arms leaves CT too. I have heard they have a few offers on the table too. Ct would feel the effects of 30+ million bucks in taxes and a couple hundred jobs. Not to mention people have been fleeing this state for years and this will only speed up the process. It's expensive enough and they just keep giving people more reason to pack up and move.

KimberUltra
April 6, 2013, 12:28 AM
Just found out that along with stag arms, colt, ruger, and mossberg have all had offers to leave Connecticut.

ltcboy
April 6, 2013, 10:19 AM
Good. Hope they lose all the income revenue next year. What else is in CT as far as manufacturing jobs? CT lost all of it textile business years ago. What else is there that that state will have as far as jobs?

MIke

KimberUltra
April 6, 2013, 01:52 PM
Rumor has it a few other companies may be leaving ct too. Estimating 10,000 jobs and 2 billion in tax revenue

SharpsDressedMan
April 6, 2013, 03:32 PM
Any firearms maker that is moving will have to be very careful to not pick a state that will enact similar laws in the future. That may not be as easy as it sounds, due to the lies and turncoat nature of elected persons who previously claimed to support the 2nd Amendment.

X-JaVeN-X
April 6, 2013, 04:39 PM
Good job beretta...I've been wanting a 92 for awhile (I have big hands for all you women out there saying the grip is too big lol j/k), and I'm going to a gun show tomorrow...I may come home with my first beretta. I hope this step out puts some pressure on other companies (especially the slew of them in CT), which motivates them to do the same. I think we should be sending letters to these companies stating as much.

whetrock
April 6, 2013, 04:52 PM
This is welcomed news. I want to see these nanny/police states, reap the repurcussion from all of their useless legislation these arms manufacturers need to move west to the "free states", as much as I love my home state of OK, Wyoming, Montana, and Arizona are were it's at for gun owners.

GambJoe
April 6, 2013, 05:23 PM
Other then the article stirring things up it didn't explain why they had to move their factory out of Maryland because of the new gun laws. Is there any truth to it or is the newspaper just making sales and Beretta trying to get a bigger tax break?

351 WINCHESTER
April 6, 2013, 08:14 PM
They can move their mfg. facility to Fl. We'd love to have them.

Yelovitz_503
April 6, 2013, 08:24 PM
And what is WITH these idiot politicians and 'deer hunting'. Seriously?

There must be some 'stupid liberal talking points' newsletter because I've heard this idiotic line repeated in many circles. Usually it is preceded with "but, I mean, why would anyone need...?" It's the same garbage, they must be getting it from somewhere.

Sad to hear about a good company being the ones to pay the price for the misbehavior of a few jerks (politicians and lone gunmen). Hopefully it will sink in when MD starts to see the drastic loss of revenue their state will be subjected to now. Maybe they'll make the connection, maybe they won't. I doubt that even if they do that they'd ever acknowledge it.

KimberUltra
April 6, 2013, 08:31 PM
Alot of companies are moving most likely for tax breaks, but another big reason is potential loss of sales from out of state buyers. As it is I've heard alot of people from around the Internet say they won't buy products from ct based companies and even private buyers. So even the people who went out and spent 3k for an AR might have trouble selling them out of state. The dumb part is ct's new laws say out of state people who have any banned guns have to destroy them or not bring them. So even if someone was dumb enough to move to CT in the first place that will deter alot more people.

You can't even put your legally owned AR in your will if you die. The state gets any prebans when you die. So eventually if the law is enforced there will be a huge drop is AR ownership here now. Of course the bad guys still can pass their AR's down to their kids. ;)

Elkins45
April 6, 2013, 10:59 PM
You can't even put your legally owned AR in your will if you die. The state gets any prebans when you die. So eventually if the law is enforced there will be a huge drop is AR ownership here now. Of course the bad guys still can pass their AR's down to their kids.

By the time that starts to be an issue either the law will have been overturned or none of will have any guns left.

HKGuns
April 6, 2013, 11:34 PM
The Democrat's anti-gun zealotry is going to kill them in the 2014 elections and beyond.

I sincerely doubt that it will be any different than last years election. Just wait and see.....You all KNEW this would happen when NOBAMA was re-elected, yet he was still re-elected.

JTHunter
April 6, 2013, 11:46 PM
HKGuns said:You all KNEW this would happen when NOBAMA was re-elected, yet he was still re-elected.

Mitt Romney was correct in his 47% intention but said it poorly.
If nearly half of the population is dependent on government largess, these "know nothing" voters will vote for the candidate that promises them the most goodies with the least amount of personal involvement.
That's one of the main reasons "Dumbo" was re-elected. :banghead:

easyg
April 6, 2013, 11:55 PM
[QUOTE]“[Why would you need a] rifle that accommodates 20 rounds semi-automatic for deer hunting? … It’s only very infrequently that someone commits a crime with an assault weapon – why do you need one for self-defense?"[/QUOTE
Does this idiot really think the Second Amendment is about deer hunting or self defense?!?!?

The Second Amendment is about the people of this nation waging WAR against the government!

X-Rap
April 7, 2013, 10:39 AM
The Second Amendment is about the people of this nation waging WAR against the government!

True, but when you say that all the non believers say that could never happen and is fruitless and half of the believers roll their eyes and quietly turn away.

HKGuns
April 7, 2013, 12:23 PM
Mitt Romney was correct in his 47% intention but said it poorly.
If nearly half of the population is dependent on government largess, these "know nothing" voters will vote for the candidate that promises them the most goodies with the least amount of personal involvement.
That's one of the main reasons "Dumbo" was re-elected.

Sure he was correct. Nearly every Democratic policy is designed to increase their base of the dependent class, steal money away from producers and distribute it to their dependents outside and within Government(employees).

What do you think is behind this amnesty crap? It serves one function, it increase their base by 20 million more ignorant dependents. If you oppose it you are labeled a racist.

What chance does this Country have after that one?

Old Fuff
April 7, 2013, 12:25 PM

Not so! The purpose of the 2nd. Amendment was to provide an alternative to a large standing army. In that context the militia could be and was used against foreign invaders. State governors occasionally "called out the militia" to suppress lawless situations. It is true that the founders saw it as a hedge against a dictatorial national government but so far as not been used for that purpose.

Stevie-Ray
April 7, 2013, 01:05 PM
This could all be ended if a major ammo company threatened to refuse service to large metropolitan areas that are promoting gun control. The very notion of what mayhem would unfold would be enough to make these Mayors back down. Give them a taste of the heartless coercion they impose upon their citizens daily by limiting their access to firearms and ammuntion.Now that's a fine idea if I ever heard one. How do we go about implementing that? Ammo manufacturers are all about the bottom line, most likely. Any one of them show more than a passing interest in something like this, like maybe outrage, in any of their statements? We could lean on them.

Pilot
April 7, 2013, 01:16 PM
Sure he was correct. Nearly every Democratic policy is designed to increase their base of the dependent class, steal money away from producers and distribute it to their dependents outside and within Government(employees).

What do you think is behind this amnesty crap? It serves one function, it increase their base by 20 million more ignorant dependents. If you oppose it you are labeled a racist.

What chance does this Country have after that one?

All true, and spot on. The other problem it creates is that most of these illegals do NOT support the 2A, and would willingly vote for more restrictions on legal guns as they buy into the whole statist agenda, and mantra.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bye Bye Beretta..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!