Waterfalling

PDA

blarby
April 4, 2013, 07:09 PM
For those of you who cast, you know how annoying it can be to get the stream right on the angled downspout divot on the sprue plate.

For those of you who don't, we do this because the flow of lead into the mould too quickly can create wrinkles on the outside - and - the inside of the bullet...cavities in the bullets create weight deviation, and allow gyroscopic destabilization of the bullet once it leaves the barrel.

I got tired of chasing that damn divot, and manipulating the mould up and down, in and out on each cast.

So I practiced enough until I could do this.

Its a lot faster, and a lot more consistent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ83PScVKP4

If you enjoyed reading about "Waterfalling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dagger dog
April 4, 2013, 07:21 PM
Are they .22 cal.?

Walkalong
April 4, 2013, 07:24 PM
Takes steady hands is all. :)

RustyFN
April 4, 2013, 08:14 PM
I use the guide built into the bottom of my Lee pro 4-20 pot. It works pretty good. I like your idea and might try it next time I cast.

blarby
April 4, 2013, 08:22 PM
Careful- try it to the 3rd or 4th hole for a bit.... missing on that last stop lands molten lead in your crotch.

No, seriously.

I haven't done it- but I got REAL close once.

And those are 45's, DaggerDog

Jesse Heywood
April 4, 2013, 09:05 PM
Takes steady hands is all.

That's why I can't cast. :D

Jesse Heywood, DDS
The Shakiest Gun in the West

dagger dog
April 4, 2013, 11:19 PM
The speed at which they filled I thought they were very small, must be an optical effect of digital video.

blarby
April 5, 2013, 04:03 AM
Somewhat fast flow, but they are only 200 grainers, so they do fill kinda fast.

Elkins45
April 5, 2013, 02:07 PM
I've seen molds with a trough machined into the sprue plate to facilitate filling like that.

mdi
April 5, 2013, 02:18 PM
My only question would be concerning the temperature of the alloy. Seems it would be much cooler in the last cavity than the first cavity having to run down the length of the sprue plate...:confused:

blarby
April 5, 2013, 02:50 PM
Nice thing about hot alloy with a hot mould- if its flowin, its plenty hot enough.

If its not hot enough, you get half-bullets at the 6th or sometimes the fifth cavity. Happens even after short short breaks in production.

This is fantastic for hand fatigue, lemme tell ya. Anytime you can alleviate any form of hand fatigue, you've prolonged your casting session.

Now I can pretty much make it through a 20# pot from start to finish without the mould cooling, and without having to stop because my hands are cramping- which for me is huge.

20# x 7000grs= 140000grs

140000 /200 = 700 ish bullets, give or take.

Given that my production runs are usually about 2000 bullets here or there- thats huge... I can break it into three manageable chunks centered around refilling lead- not stopping and starting due to fatigue- and all of the cooling down of the moulds and breaking of consistency that entails.

If you enjoyed reading about "Waterfalling" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!