The First One....

PDA

mookiie
April 4, 2013, 10:32 PM
No matter how many I have the first one that I bought always holds a special place because it was the first one that was mine, not grandads or an uncles but mine. My Yugo M48A:

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg605/Mookiie2005/P8311146.jpg

What is your first one and does it hold special significance for you?

If you enjoyed reading about "The First One...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WoodchuckAssassin
April 4, 2013, 10:43 PM
First rifle, or first Yugo? :D

I've never owned a Yugo, but my first rifle was a single shot Ithaca .22 saddle gun (I think it's a M-49, or something like that). It's still on the rack, and has a very perminant home there. I remember watching my dad take the head off of an apple-drunk partridge from 20 yards...off-hand. The whole scene lasted less than 2 seconds. The funny part is, my dad still feels guilty for not giving the rifle to me so I could take the shot. One of my fondest childhood memories.

First gun I bought with my own paycheck was a Savage 340 in 30-30. Don't have that one anymore, but the Ithaca has survived the test of time. If only I could find ammo for it...

TrickyDick
April 4, 2013, 11:05 PM
My first was a Yugo AK underfolder.... unfortunately bills had to be paid and I had to let it go...... but fortunately, now i had bought another one 2 years ago for less than i paid for my first, and this one has wood furniture (which i like better).... But neverless, my true first is gone.

9thchild
April 5, 2013, 11:06 AM
My first rifle was a 10/22 from my grandfather.

MY first rifle purchased was just the other day, a 1944 Mosin Nagant M38.

Reloadron
April 5, 2013, 11:12 AM
My first rifle that I actually bought was a Ruger 44 Carbine in 1963 when I was 13. The rifle cost $130 at the department store my mom worked at. The $130 was with her store discount. I repaid my parents $30 a month for 4 months. Interest free loan I guess. :) Mom charged it on her store credit card. I was working part time at an Exon station.

That rifle was followed by a M1 Carbine and as they say... The rest is history! :)

Ron

juk
April 5, 2013, 12:59 PM
My first rifle is a Ruger M77 heavy barrel 308. It has a nice walnut stock and high polish blued barrel and action. I bought it in new condition from a local gun store. Apparently they had bought out a large collection and they had 2 identical M77s. I got the one with the prettier stock. I have owned it for 10 years now. Got curious about a year back and looked up the serial number. It was made in Dec 1984...my birth month and year. This one has a home for life. If I was smart, I would have bought both of them for $500 each and used one as a shooter and put the other one up.

Pat M
April 6, 2013, 02:09 AM
First rifle, or first Yugo? :D

I've never owned a Yugo, but my first rifle was a single shot Ithaca .22 saddle gun (I think it's a M-49, or something like that). It's still on the rack, and has a very perminant home there. I remember watching my dad take the head off of an apple-drunk partridge from 20 yards...off-hand. The whole scene lasted less than 2 seconds. The funny part is, my dad still feels guilty for not giving the rifle to me so I could take the shot. One of my fondest childhood memories.

First gun I bought with my own paycheck was a Savage 340 in 30-30. Don't have that one anymore, but the Ithaca has survived the test of time. If only I could find ammo for it...
Woodchuck, the first rifle I ever fired was a Ithaca 49, lever-action, single-shot .22. It is in my safe right now, and I had my 7-year-old daughter firing it last summer. I think my Dad bought it from the classified ads in the 60's for $10.

Still Shooting
April 7, 2013, 12:44 AM
My first rifle was a Savage 340, .22 Hornet. I was 14, bought it from a kid I knew for $35 in 1960. He had done 90% on a re-stock job (nice piece of walnut!). I finished the job and did a BLO hand-rubbed finish, with a little melted beeswax mixed in for the final couple of coats. My folks had a summer camp on one of the NY Finger Lakes, and there were 2 farms behind us. That first summer I shot 97 'chucks with the rifle. When I was 16, Dad gave me a Pacific C press, set of dies, can of 2400, scale, and a box of Hornady 45gr. SP bullets. That was the start of reloading (my Dad never got into it, but by 18 I was reloading .30 Rem for his Model 12).

At the end of my senior year in college, while my stuff was packed/locked up in the frat house for a week waiting for a rental house to be finished, it was stolen along with a 1912 Marlin 16ga. from my Granddad and the Remington 760 .270 my Dad had given me as a high school graduation gift. Such is life...

If you enjoyed reading about "The First One...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!