Resize new brass?

PDA

BGD
April 4, 2013, 11:01 PM
Sorry for the stupid question, but is it necessary to full length size new brass? I have some Lapua brass and some Remington brass that has never been fired. I have chambered to empty brass in the rifle's without any problems. It looks like there is enough tension on the neck to hold a bullet. I could neck size them if that became a problem. What do you usually do with new brass?

If you enjoyed reading about "Resize new brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
geist262
April 4, 2013, 11:24 PM
New brass needs to be FL sized. It sounds strange, but that's the way. I also uniform the flash holes on anything precision. Check length after sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldTex
April 5, 2013, 12:01 AM
I assume we're talking rifle brass here. The traditional wisdom is yes, resize new brass just to make sure it is in spec and hasn't been bent up, etc in packaging and shipping. But if you're like me, most times I tried to size new brass (mainly Lapua and Win but other brands too) I found that it was barely even touching the die. Try a couple pieces and see. Take some measurements before and after and see if you're doing anything but using up lube that you now have to remove. My measurements typically show that the new brass is smaller than SAAMI specs in every dimension.

One trouble area may be case mouths that have been dinged up. These need fixing even if nothing else does. You can do this with your expander ball without running the whole case completely into the sizer. Or for about $30, you can get a Sinclair expander mandrel and die that will not only smooth out and center the neck, it will also open the neck up to a size that's more appropriate for bullet seating. Every brand of new brass I've ever bought - from Norma to LC - has necks that are way smaller than needed. No big deal if you want to load them, just unnecessary wear and tear on the bullet which is being used as a sizing tool in that situation.

ljnowell
April 5, 2013, 12:12 AM
I have never bought and reloaded brand new rifle brass. However, I have never bought pistol brass that didnt need sized. None of it had decent tension without it. That includes Rem, Starline, and Winchester.

Walkalong
April 5, 2013, 11:02 AM
Some people do, and some people don't. I tend to size new pistol brass, but not rifle brass unless it is going to be an accuracy load. I want it to be as close to the same as after it is fired and resized.

For a bolt gun I do not engrave in stone any accuracy results with new rifle brass if I am going to use a bushing type die (Whether neck or full length) to get a certain neck tension. New brass is going to have tighter neck tension than I will use. You can always use a neck expander like Sinclair sells, but I like to test accuracy with brass prepped/sized just like it will be reused. Basically disregarding the first firing, other than maybe getting some velocity numbers and get a new gun or scope on target.

Reloadron
April 5, 2013, 11:23 AM
I would be the opposite of Walkalong in that I always full length size and trim new rifle brass but with handgun brass not so much. With my rifle brass I just want all the cases as uniform as possible. Generally they come out of the box close but what the heck, it gives me something in life to be OCD about.

Ron

jerkface11
April 5, 2013, 12:05 PM
If you size new brass you're just subtracting one firing from it's life.

X-Rap
April 5, 2013, 12:29 PM
I size and trim all my new rifle brass and since a batch of 454 brass I check new pistol brass as well. I don't think new brass will get worked to the point of shortening its lifespan and if it does then it needed to be sized anyway.

beatledog7
April 5, 2013, 12:39 PM
The necks of new rifle brass are often not squared with the case body and often not round. I FL size them and then trim them to "trim-to" length to achieve that squareness and ensure the mouths are round.

That said, I almost never buy new brass anymore.

jerkface11
April 5, 2013, 12:52 PM
I don't think new brass will get worked to the point of shortening its lifespan and if it does then it needed to be sized anyway.
A normal rifle die bumps the neck up then sizes it down. So sizing rifle brass works the neck no matter what.

ReloaderFred
April 5, 2013, 01:19 PM
I rarely buy new brass, but I did buy 500 .444 Marlin virgin brass a few months ago, and while full length sizing the new brass, I found one without a flash hole. Brass also gets banged around in shipment, unless it's packaged like loaded ammunition. It needs to be uniformly sized for optimum use.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Lennyjoe
April 5, 2013, 01:28 PM
Yes, inspect, size and load new brass. An ounce of measure...........;)

USSR
April 5, 2013, 01:40 PM
Assuming you are talking about bottle necked rifle brass, it is not necessary to resize new brass. Why? It's dimensions as it comes from the factory is smaller than what standard FL dies produce, so unless you have a set of SB dies, you cannot reduce the dimensions to be less than it already is. However, the necks sometimes get "dinged" in shipping and in many cases the neck diameter is too small, resulting in higher than normal neck tension on the bullet, so assuming you have a resizing die with an expander ball, it is a good idea to just run the expander ball thru the neck to reduce the amount of neck tension and make sure the neck is round. Just MHO.

Don

James2
April 5, 2013, 01:44 PM
I see you are getting mixed opinions here.

I can only say that I always size new brass.

Walkalong
April 5, 2013, 02:08 PM
As always. :)

Grumulkin
April 5, 2013, 02:47 PM
When you buy a box of ammo, be sure to check to see that the shoulders are square. Remove the bullets and size the cases as well. Manufactures of brass have no idea what they are doing so you and your little press need to be their quality control.

gamestalker
April 5, 2013, 03:01 PM
It's probably not necessary provided all the brass chambers OK, but I run each one through a FL die, and I also trim each one according to SAAMI spec. before I shoot it for the first time.

GS

ljnowell
April 5, 2013, 04:28 PM
When you buy a box of ammo, be sure to check to see that the shoulders are square. Remove the bullets and size the cases as well. Manufactures of brass have no idea what they are doing so you and your little press need to be their quality control.

Sarcasm is the hallmark of The High Roads idealogy, isnt it? Such helpful posts.

45lcshooter
April 5, 2013, 04:42 PM
New brass is exactly that, new. It needs to be sized to what you want it. FL it all. I've seen more dents in new brass than in range pickups.

USSR
April 5, 2013, 05:39 PM
Quote:

Sarcasm is the hallmark of The High Roads idealogy, isnt it? Such helpful posts.

As for me, I appreciate sarcasm if it is well done, and that was well done, Grumulkin.:D

Steve C
April 5, 2013, 05:58 PM
The only thing I do with pistol new brass that's not dented is to chamfer the case mouth. Many years ago I ran a few in the sizing die and found that it wasn't being sized anyway so why bother? Never had a problem with lack of bullet retention using new brass that wasn't sized, even with the thinner Remington.

Run a few in your sizing die and make up your own mind.

Xelera
April 5, 2013, 05:58 PM
I will add in, that if you are using new Lapua brass, it is generally of such high quality that it is ready to go as-is. I have no experience with Nosler, but some say the same about it. All other rifle brass brands, I FL size before using.

dmazur
April 5, 2013, 09:02 PM
Yes, indeed.

Nosler brass - Wonderful stuff. Why touch it?
Winchester brass - Less charitable observations, better not elaborated here.

TheCracker
April 5, 2013, 09:22 PM
With lapua I've never had the need to resize. The few that had dented mouths got ran over a lee collet neck sizer. No problem at all with the few hundred Ive bought new not fl sizing. I've never ha any that needed trimming either.

With cheaper brass like rem or Winchester I would go ahead and FL size it. Sometimes it comes pretty jacked up and needing a trim also.

blarby
April 5, 2013, 09:51 PM
Yep.

I trust me over a machine anyday. Especially one running at the capacities of todays demand. I got a bag of NP 40 S/W yesterday that was........ returned.

BGD
April 5, 2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all your input. Nothing better than learning from people with more experience than me. You guys are great:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Resize new brass?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!