I do'nt know what to call it

PDA

41wheelgun
April 5, 2013, 12:39 AM
Like above, I will let you know I am not that computer savy, but how is it that so many members respond first at a question on THR. Is thier a real time feature that needs setting on my end. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "I do'nt know what to call it" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mal H
April 5, 2013, 01:04 AM
I don't know what to call it either. Can you explain what you mean?

rcmodel
April 5, 2013, 02:34 AM
I had a 69'th birthday yesterday.

There is a Real Time feature that needs Re-Setting on my End for sure!!

rc

JShirley
April 5, 2013, 09:30 AM
If you want to see all New Posts, you should see a button on the toolbar at the top of the forum that will pull them all up. Are you asking to receive notification of all new threads?

John

rbernie
April 5, 2013, 12:48 PM
I think that he's asking if there is a forum 'push' feature that alerts some folk to the presence of new posts.

JShirley
April 5, 2013, 10:41 PM
Like an RSS feed?

41wheelgun
April 5, 2013, 11:50 PM
Thanks guys, I will expand on my question. Let's say I log on to THR, I Then click on let's say "General Gun Disscusion". I spend some time their, then I go into "Rifle Country", then go back to "General Gun Disscusion" and noticed 2,3 4 new post that has already has 7, 8, or 9 replies on a post that I did not see earlier in General Gun Disscusion. Now don't get wrong, I'm not complaining or being snooty, it's just I'm not seeing how a few members are the first ones to reply to a new post, nor am I feeling that I feel that I should be the first to respond, just learning how this or any chat site operates. I hope this has clairfied my question.
Thanks.

MrCleanOK
April 6, 2013, 03:16 AM
When you load a sub form (General Discussion, Rifle Country, etc.), you are taking a snap shot of all the current threads, with their current number of replies and views. That snapshot won't change unless you refresh the page, or go to a different page and come back. Other people are replying to threads while the page you are looking at remains stagnant, and once you refresh it you can see their replies.

As an analogy, if you take a photo of a tree and put it on your desk and watch it every day for years, the tree you're looking at remains the same size. To see the tree getting bigger in real time, you have to take a new photo every day.

This is a big forum with a lot of activity, you can't expect to keep on top of it and watch every thread develop in real time.

41wheelgun
April 6, 2013, 10:30 PM
MrCleanok, Yea I've notcied that and I think Jshirley has responded to what I was looking for. I can also see that their are probably a lot of retirees that spend their day on THR and that could account for early responses. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "I do'nt know what to call it" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!