Are you learning to like a gun that you wanted to sell?

PDA

Ignition Override
April 5, 2013, 12:42 AM
If it weren't for the challenge of this nice Yugo Mauser's irons sights two years ago, I would not have left it alone in the corner.
My eyes were spoiled by those on the Enfield #4s/#5s and the Garand.
Shooting really high with the Yugo from 50 yards left a lousy impression, when keeping the post's tip even with the top edge of the blade.

Weeks ago some hits on, or near a small orange-sprayed chunk of concrete block (4-5") were a surprise, from 120 yards.
The recent panic coupled with my 2,000 rds, of .35/rd. Czech, Y. and Rom. 8mm ammo has motivated me to get used to the gun.
It is always cleaned within two-four hours of shooting, as with anything corrosive.

Maybe a thin bit of orange on a Mauser's tiny rear leaf sight notch, with a tiny bit on the post's tip would help?
How about other gun stories?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are you learning to like a gun that you wanted to sell?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
juk
April 5, 2013, 12:59 AM
I generally don't buy a gun I don't like. I did buy a yugo SKS from a friend for $120 though. He bought it and it would never work properly. It would shoot, but wouldn't cycle the action. It was pretty ugly with little finish left and a beat up stock. He threw it in a rubbermaid tub full of about 5 different degreasing agents. I saw it and started asking about it. He told me I could have it, all the ammo, all the accessories, and some leftover 308 ammo for $120. I wasn't looking for a sks and really didn't even like the things, but that was to good of a deal.

I drug it home and took it all apart. I ordered a new piston from Tapco, a few springs, and some Wolf Gray Duracoat. While I was waiting for the parts to come in, I stripped, sanded, and steamed the stock. I stained the stock pieces with an ebony stain. I sprayed the duracoat on every metal piece I could find.(easiest job ever. Didn't have to degrease ANYTHING!) I installed the springs and piston and went shooting. Still didn't want to work right, but at least I had an idea. I went to the hardware store and bought some stainless steel wire. I cut a small section off and bent it around the grooves in the piston. (basically made a piston ring). Lo-and-behold, the thing shoots!

I still have it some 6 years later. I might have $200 in it total. I find it to be fairly accurate and dead solid reliable and I think it even looks pretty good. I bought an AK to keep it company, but ultimately sold it because I shot the SKS better. This is my tool of choice when a cinder block needs to be taken out!

Edarnold
April 5, 2013, 01:20 AM
You can a taller square top front sight from Brownell for a couple of bucks that will make the sights work right at your range. Makes all the difference in the world.

Ignition Override
April 5, 2013, 01:29 AM
Thanks Edarnold.

That's the first I ever heard of it. Did not find it on Brownell's, but will look again.

dvdcrr
April 5, 2013, 04:23 PM
Heck I can't seem to keep the ones I like so if I don't like it , its gone for sure. I don't look back. Life's too short and there's way too many cool rifles out there.

jmr40
April 5, 2013, 06:06 PM
I've bought a few on the cheap to use as "trade bait", or just to get a scope off of it and ended up shooting it and liking it enough to keep.

TheCracker
April 5, 2013, 10:44 PM
I guess I'm a hoarder. I've never sold a gun. I've even been offered decent prices for some that I had considered selling but later changed my mind

GCMkc
April 5, 2013, 11:08 PM
I bought a Romanian RPK a year ago and I had a hard time getting rid of it. Its funny because I only shot the thing 3 or 4 times but it just looked so cool. After it was gone I didn't feel as bad. Just move on to the next gun! :D

On the other hand, I had a Remington 1911 w/ OD frame that I just sold last week and I didn't even fire the thing. It was an impulse buy on X-mas. The funds helped me to buy a new SIG-551a1 which has a lot more appeal.e Didn't think twice about getting rid of it. The guy I sold it was thrilled.

SabbathWolf
April 6, 2013, 12:41 AM
I never keep guns I don't like.
I just don't see the point in it.
I'd rather sell them to somebody else who may actually like them and enjoy them.
I don't adapt myself to my guns.
I make my guns adapt themselves to me instead.
And if they can't, they don't stay around for long.

Cee Zee
April 7, 2013, 06:38 AM
My brother's lawnmower quit on him (blown engine) and he was trying to round up cash for a new one so I bought a S&W 629 .44 magnum from him. It had a 8 /3/8" barrel on it. I thought it was a cowboy special at first being as long as it was. I quickly discovered the thing shot very, very well. It has a trigger that is probably at 4 oz's in single action mode. But I still didn't need a handgun like that or so I thought. Then I had bears show up in my yard. There were lots of them in fact. The gubmit likes to tinker with nature and they got black bears started back in our area to control the deer population that the gubmit caused to explode by bringing in large numbers of them from other areas. The coyotes they brought in just weren't keeping the deer population in check. It's funny how the gubmit doesn't do well at playing God.

At any rate suddenly I did have a use for a .44 magnum revolver after all. I started shooting it more to make sure I could hit what I was aiming at if I happened to have a real problem with a bear. I knew it wasn't likely but I prefer being ready just in case. And the more I shot that handgun the more accurate it got for some reason. It surely didn't have anything to do with my ability of course. I was always a perfect shot you know. ;)

I had a chance to trade that thing off for a really nice .22 that was worth far more than what I paid for that 629. But I already had a bunch of .22's and I was hoping to find something else to trade for (like cash). But the thing just started growing on me. Seriously I think it developed roots into my side once I bought my El Passo Saddlery holster for it. I got a really good offer for the gun after that but they had no interest in the holster at all. That thing was far from being cheap BTW. I paid like $135 for it. It was a Tanker model if you're familiar with them. It's a shoulder holster than can be made to work like a cross draw holster but will still keep the gun secure. It's amazing how fast I can draw that gun from that holster. It works far faster than drawing a side holster. I'm not exactly Billy the Kid or anything but for me it was fast. So no way was I going to eat the cost of that holster after I finally found a cash buyer for the S&W.

I took the gun to the club and shot at the long distance range one day. I was shocked to find out the gun could hit a gallon jug at about 175 yards. Yeah I didn't believe it either and I was the one shooting it. I knew it wasn't done with mirrors or bird shot or any of that cheesy stuff.

So with a great holster for carrying a bear blaster around on my ATV especially and enough power to give any black bear a permanent headache and enough accuracy for hunting deer if I ever decided to do such a thing I finally realized I needed to hold on to that revolver. Maybe it was because I never got a real good offer for it but I really never tried hard to sell it. I took it to the flea market a couple of times and that was it.

Now I wouldn't think of selling that bad boy. I had a guy offer to trade me two Remington rifles for it and I said no. Of course one was a 710 and one was a 770 but that was still a decent offer. I could have come out ahead if I didn't mind selling a couple of not so hot rifles.

My brother tried to buy it back from me not too long ago. No way Jose. He didn't want the holster either. I'm not running a cut rate pawn shop bro. He got the message real quick. I'm keeping that gun even though I moved away from the place where the bears are. My daughter lives there though. I need to teach her to shoot the thing. My niece shot it a lot. But my daughter isn't big on recoil even though she is a great shot. I really want to keep it just because now. Unless I have to start selling off my toys to pay the bills I will keep that gun.

JohnnyK
April 7, 2013, 08:40 AM
i was considering selling my first gun a mossberg 500 cause it kicks like a pissed off mule... i got a saiga 12 for home defende and reblued the 500 as it had some issues with rust and now ive changed my mind as there is just something about that "chick chick" sound racking a shotgun!

If you enjoyed reading about "Are you learning to like a gun that you wanted to sell?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!