can i use the same bullet tops for 3006 and 3030?

PDA

wolverine_173
April 5, 2013, 04:18 PM
Are the bullet diameters the same for 30-06 and 30-30?

If you enjoyed reading about "can i use the same bullet tops for 3006 and 3030?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GT1
April 5, 2013, 04:27 PM
The 'tops' thing baffled me for a moment. But yeah, some bullets should be fine in both cases(They are both .308 in diameter). The answer is more complicated than that, though. One would have to research powders and bullet weights and profiles and what they are wishing to accomplish with the bullet in question.

KansasSasquatch
April 5, 2013, 04:32 PM
They are the same diameter but the bullet shapes are different. You can still use them but bullets intended for .308 Win and .30-06 tend to have heavier jackets to compensate for the higher pressures of those cartridges. If you use a bullet intended for .30-30 in a .30-06 you will probably want to keep the pressures as low as safely possible, other wise the bullets could come apart. And if you use a bullet intended for .30-06 in a .30-30 you probably won't get the desired expansion if you plan to use it for hunting. You'd also have to be cautious of your COL because of the different bullet profiles. Seat them too deep and you decrease case capacity, too shallow and you could be into the lands of the rifling, either can cause over pressure. Caution is the key.

Edarnold
April 5, 2013, 04:33 PM
Yes, but...

If you plan on hunting with your loads for the 30-30, you will need to pick bullets intended for that cartridge. The typical bullets listed as "30 caliber .308 diameter" are intended for the velocities from cartridges like the 30-06 and .308 Winchester. From a 30-30, they may not expand because of the much lower velocity. Bullets intended for the 30-30 will be listed as 150gr or 170gr flat-nose soft point. These bullets, in turn, would not be good choices for hunting with the 30-06, because they could break up and not penetrate enough to humanely drop your game animal.

nix4me
April 5, 2013, 04:37 PM
Make sure your 30-30 bullets are flat nose if your gun has a tubular magazine. This ensures the bullet tip can't set off the round in front of it in the tube.

My opinion is that those 2 different cartridges need different bullets. Flat nose for the 30-30 and most any pointed 308 bullet for the 30-06.

45lcshooter
April 5, 2013, 04:38 PM
Yes both are .308 in diameter. Just don't put pointy bullets in a tube magazine like a 30-30 Winchester Model 94, unless you are using pointy bullets that are made for lever action firearms

gamestalker
April 5, 2013, 04:41 PM
One of the primary concerns here is that a lever action 30-30 rifle is tubular fed, therefore pointed bullets are not appropriate. Each time you discharge a firearm, those bullets that are stacked one in front of the other, are impacting the primer of the one on top of the other the result of recoil, possible detonation risk here.
I have always used round nose projectiles in tubular fed magazines. This should also be mentioned in your instructional reloading book, which I assume you have 1 or 2.

GS

wolverine_173
April 5, 2013, 04:47 PM
i would use soft points

blarby
April 5, 2013, 05:33 PM
Then again you can always chamber a pointed .308 softpoint/spire point as the first round.... Tube feed the same, and put a flat nosed bullet behind that one- you get two pointy aerodynamic bullets, at one flat nose.

I did this often, and it works fine.

The hornady 150gr SP/ blain base deformed/mushroomed quite well in my testing using maximum velocities in the .30/30.

For hunting, the loading order listed above would be optimal.... and usually your distances for hunting with a lever action .30/30 are going to be well within the maximum energy range for the cartridge- 100 yards or less.

Go for it, have fun.

I've loaded 170gr and 150 gr Flat nosed "30/30" bullets in .30/06, and they functioned just fine. The bullet drop is much more abrupt due to the BC, but as long as you know that, you're good to go.

PapaG
April 5, 2013, 10:50 PM
I would suggest you check around and find a NRA certified instructor to walk you through the reloading process, learn the terminology and read a good manual like Lyman's.

kingmt
April 6, 2013, 08:57 AM
Has anyone ever seen a tube blowup?

Choot it, choot it again, choot it again, choot it again....: )

j1
April 6, 2013, 09:11 AM
You can.

buck460XVR
April 6, 2013, 11:31 AM
On top of the flat point for tubular magazines, most bullets intended for those firearms(30-30, .32 Spec.) also have a cannelure intended for roll crimping to prevent bullet setback from recoil.

gamestalker
April 6, 2013, 08:52 PM
Although I have never seen, or even heard of a tube blowing up because a pointed bullet caused a detonation, I sure wouldn't want to be the first guy on my block to brag about it happening to me. Just saying Kingmt, mostly for the sake of new, and apparently uninformed reloader's sake.

G S

cag215
April 6, 2013, 09:02 PM
Hornady make a pointed flex tip bullet that is safe for tubular magazines....
http://www.hornady.com/store/FTX

ArchAngelCD
April 6, 2013, 11:44 PM
IMO the most important difference between a good 30-30 bullet over all other 30 Cal bullets is the construction. The bullets made for the 30-30 are designed to reliable expand at the reduced velocities associated with the 30-30 and that's extremely important for an ethical hunt.

kingmt
April 6, 2013, 11:49 PM
Just asking.

Tomcat47
April 7, 2013, 12:09 AM
Bullets are same dia. and weights for the better part, but as above stated two different cartridges. And tube mag warning obviously applies!

I have loaded 125 & 150 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip for my Marlin 336 to Hunt with for a long time.... The 125 seemed to be a good match and were fast and Hard hitting out of my Marlin... or it seemed like it to me anyway.

HOWEVER I only put one in chamber and one in tube magazine while on the deer stand...I NEVER needed that second round!

They obviously... very obviously! performed better than standard 30-30 ammo. I never did Chrono them but maybe I will get around to it. I still have some loaded up and stored in Gun Safe.

Of course now the Leverlution ammo is great as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "can i use the same bullet tops for 3006 and 3030?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!