CT laws and reloading..

PDA

Arbo
April 5, 2013, 09:54 PM
So how does the CT law of requiring a license to 'buy ammo' effect those in CT that reload?

Is it not specified at all, so they can keep buying what they need online and reloading their own stuff?

If you enjoyed reading about "CT laws and reloading.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pepa
April 5, 2013, 10:00 PM
Don't mention reloading or components in any statement about Connecticut. What they don't know won't hurt us.

TurtlePhish
April 5, 2013, 10:02 PM
Ammunition WRT the new permit and whatnot is defined as a complete cartridge, so reloading components aren't affected.

Solo
April 5, 2013, 10:10 PM
Oh no. The handloading loophole. Don't worry, I'm sure that'll be addressed very soon.

Arbo
April 6, 2013, 10:27 AM
So since they continually show their ignorance with these laws, reloading will be fine, and buddies will be able to reload and swap with each other, so none of them needs to buy ammo (for the most part) and doesn't need that license.

But I have no doubt after the first few people are arrested for not having an ammo license when a cop see's them with ammo, they will indeed start using the term 'reloading loophole'... their depravity seems to know no ends.

steelerdude99
April 6, 2013, 02:57 PM
Beginners reloading and sharing ammo is a recipe for problems. Then an accident happens and everyone’s in a in a rush to ban reloading. And then the lawsuits …

With it being hard to stop people from actually doing things, it will make power, bullets and primers harder to get (just like what they did with R-12 refrigerant).

Just one guy's opinion,

chuck

Arbo
April 6, 2013, 03:12 PM
Yeah, we should ban beginners. They might screw it up for everyone else!

(from a beginner that has done his research and does things by the book, that see's a lot of the above attitude from 'old timers')

BisleyBlackhawk45
April 6, 2013, 03:24 PM
Beginners reloading and sharing ammo is a recipe for problems. Then an accident happens and everyone’s in a in a rush to ban reloading. And then the lawsuits …

With it being hard to stop people from actually doing things, it will make power, bullets and primers harder to get (just like what they did with R-12 refrigerant).

Just one guy's opinion,

chuck
Simply put...I do not under any circumstances reload for anyone else other than my self...family or friends. I will not shoot anyone else's reloads. Since this foolishness started I would guess to say I have refused over a dozen requests for my reloading 9MM alone for family and friends...some have sorta been pissed off...but my equipment, components and my time. I will not take the risk...that has been my stand for over 40 years. You want reloads...spring some bucks for the equipment and components...it's easy to learn. I have never refused to help someone learning to reload themselves.
I hope something does not happen that will direct attention to this part of our sport.

hovercat
April 6, 2013, 03:53 PM
Does the CT bill require a permit for possession?

TennJed
April 6, 2013, 05:19 PM

Just one guy's opinion,

chuck
I never let anyone shoot my handloads nor do I shoot anyone elses, but you are missing one important thing in your statement. Sharing would not make a bit of dfference in your example. The rookie will still make the mistake regardless of if he shares or not. the accident wil still happen, it will just happen to him and not the other guy. The bad press would still follow.

Not sharing will not lessen the chances of a accident, it will only change who the accident happens to

Pacsd
April 6, 2013, 06:03 PM
Hey, HEY!!!, Steelerdude, my walk-in cooler compressor still has that stuff and it runs good but I;ve only got alittle left. LOL. Anyway, If I'm not mistaken Illinois has some kind of card that a guy has to show to buy components. But, I'll stand corrected as to why they have to have a card.

TurtlePhish
April 6, 2013, 08:06 PM
Does the CT bill require a permit for possession?

No, only purchase.

Bad Andy
April 6, 2013, 08:22 PM
Instead of passively accepting the mess residents of CT are in, why not work to overturn the law?? I would never subject myself to that law. Fix it.

TurtlePhish
April 6, 2013, 08:51 PM
I'm pretty sure there are already preparations being made to challenge it in court.

O C
April 6, 2013, 11:16 PM
If the law only covers possesion, and Conn being a small state, why not drive to another state and buy ammo, or reloading componants if they ban those.
When a person is elected to public office, their brains are sucked out and kept in a jar somewhere until they return to private life.

CapnMac
April 7, 2013, 05:50 AM
Somebody smarter than me needs to read through the law.
There is no permit for possession of ammo; but there is one require to purchase any assembled ammo.
What i could not tel--in my very late-night read of it--was whether you take out one $35, 5-year permit to purchase ammo; or you needed ES/ST permission and a permit to buy every time.

I cannot imagine the rural copshop is going to enjoy having to take in and review ammo-buying permits from people if it is a per-sale process. Which will extra fun when Joe Schmo gets that paperwork for 2 boxes of .30-30 approved to find the store out of them--and 12ga shells on sale.

Solo
April 7, 2013, 05:58 AM
I'm pretty sure there are already preparations being made to challenge it in court.
As it should be.

Pilot
April 7, 2013, 07:24 AM
What happens if a CT resident buys ammo out of state, then drives back to CT with it? Does the law address this, and/or internet sales that get shipped to CT?

OilyPablo
April 7, 2013, 08:40 AM
Oh no. The handloading loophole. Don't worry, I'm sure that'll be addressed very soon.

Especially since so many of the insane shooters have used handloaded ammo.

larryh1108
April 7, 2013, 08:58 AM
If the law only covers possesion, and Conn being a small state, why not drive to another state and buy ammo, or reloading componants if they ban those.

For example, MA law states they can't sell to out-of -state residents per the gunshop owner I saw Friday in MA. That was before these new laws went into effect.

In NYS, you cannot buy pistol ammo unless you have a pistol permit and you can only buy ammo for the calibers on your permit so if you have a .22LR and a 9mm on your permit, you cannot buy .45ACP. That is for instate purchases. I don't know how it works for out of state purchases.

It is my understanding that to get the permit to buy ammo, you have to get the background check, fingerprinting, etc, like when you get your pistol permit. Now you need this for rifles and ammo too. If you already have a pistol permit then you can buy ammo right away. If you only owned rifles and never got a pistol permit then you have to get in line for the new permits. I can't imagine how long it will take now with everyone doing it at once. I don't know if it was part of the law but there was a provision on reporting ammo purchases of 1000 rounds or more at one time. When you bought a pistol, the FFL had to call and get an approval number which was put on the transfer paperwork. I don't know if they will require a live phone call when you buy ammo or if the permit itself is sufficient. The live call is for the people added to the ineligible list recently and have not turned in their permit yet.

I see the ammo shortage easing up in CT. I doubt reloading equiptment will have any type of restrictions but I can see them adding primers and powder to the list of ammo because it is needed to make ammo. Bullets are inert as is brass. They should not be restricted. I don't recall internet sales of ammo yet but I need to read the entire bill, front to back, for things we've missed. I think I'll do that now.

larryh1108
April 7, 2013, 09:37 AM
Seems like the new ammo law will go into effect on Oct 1, 2013 so this gives time to stock up.

(c) On and after October 1, 2013, no person, firm or corporation shall sell ammunition or an ammunition magazine to any person unless such person holds a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection

link to the new bill:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/TOB/S/2013SB-01160-R00-SB.htm

If you enjoyed reading about "CT laws and reloading.." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!