223 ar bullets measure .226

PDA

gonefishin1
April 6, 2013, 12:31 AM
ok so I bought some swagged bullets for plinking and when I started to load them I decided to measure them and they are .226 and not.224??? I used both my dial calipers and a mic so I know the measurement is accurate. they are 22lr cases made into bullets. are these safe to use or will they mess up my barrel??

If you enjoyed reading about "223 ar bullets measure .226" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kingmt
April 6, 2013, 07:41 AM
If it fits the chamber you should be fine. Who made them? Can you post a picture?

45lcshooter
April 6, 2013, 08:20 AM
Sounds like buldged or stepped on and reformed 22lr. Me personally I've never shot a swaged bullet, I know people there do and they said before, they scrap anything over .224.

If you think about it, if your case will hold tight a .224 fmj or any other bullets. Its going to get the neck crushed with a .226 bullet.

gonefishin1
April 6, 2013, 10:26 AM
here are a few pics of the bullets

KansasSasquatch
April 6, 2013, 02:17 PM
I received about 300 swaged .224 JHP bullets awhile back. I also found some of them to be .001-.002" over what they should be. Since I knew the guy that made them used pure lead to cast the cores, I loaded them up and shot them. They worked just fine. But I also used a charge of Varget that was .05gr lower than my normal charge as the bullets ranged from 55-59gr. I still have about 200 of them. If they chamber and they aren't a hard alloy, you probably aren't going to have any problems. They have to anneal the .22lr casings before they can swage them around the cores so the brass jackets are pretty soft too. Just make sure you work up a load safely, I've noticed that swaged bullets aren't always too consistent as far as bullet profile goes and add the fact that you might encounter varying weights, you probably shouldn't go up to listed max charges.

gonefishin1
April 6, 2013, 09:46 PM
I am not sure how soft the cores are. Is there any way I can tell?

kingmt
April 6, 2013, 11:58 PM
I'd say they are pure lead. They look good.

If you enjoyed reading about "223 ar bullets measure .226" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!