Ed Rendell's Bodyguards Screwed Up

PDA

Joe Demko
February 3, 2003, 09:22 AM
Don't know if this was shown at all on tv, but I was on Gobbler's Knob on Groundhog Day with the Sheriff's dept. and witnessed it 1st hand. Rendell, who is the first sitting governor to be there for Feb. 2, was up on the stand with Punxy Phil, the "Inner Circle" of the Groundhog Club, and several local officials, including the Sheriff who was standing beside him. Rendell was accompanied by a Pennsylvania State Police security detail, several of whom were in plain clothes. They were recognizable as the only people there dressed like Mormon missionaries.
Shortly after Rendell finished an impromptu address to the crowd, a rowdy drunk climbed up on the stand and accosted the governor. He apparently didn't mean any harm, he just wanted to shake Rendell's hand and give him a hug. He also wouldn't take no for an answer. Rendell's bodyguards never moved. The drunk was taken care of by the Sheriff, a man in his sixties. The Sheriff physically ejected said drunk from the stand. At that point, several members of the PSP security detail pounced on the drunk and dragged him away.
Now, this was just an obnoxious drunk. It could, as easily, have been a whackjob with assassination on nationwide TV on his mind. Somewhere, even as we speak, there should be seveal members of the PSP who have had their bee-hinds chewed clean off and who are now back to running radar traps on the interstate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ed Rendell's Bodyguards Screwed Up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Spackler
February 3, 2003, 11:18 AM
The security detail probably didn't vote for Rendell either.

JohnBT
February 3, 2003, 11:18 AM
"...a rowdy drunk climbed up on the stand..."

Maybe they thought it was Ted Kennedy.

JT

cobb
February 3, 2003, 12:09 PM
Good one JohnBT. :D

PATH
February 3, 2003, 12:13 PM
But he was a "friendly drunk"!:D

Tropical Z
February 3, 2003, 12:21 PM
Too bad it wasn't someone with evil intentions!

El Tejon
February 3, 2003, 12:45 PM
I've heard ex-NFLer Kevin "the Creature" Call say that when he played for the Indianapolis Colts, the Quarterback, Jeff George, would make insulting remarks to them in the huddle. Sometimes an offensive lineman would "trip" or "get something in his eye" and miss their blocking assignment. Mr. George would then be introduced to the floor of the RCA dome.

Something similar???:p

Joe Demko
February 3, 2003, 02:03 PM
Rendell has only been in office for a couple weeks. If he's managed to offend his Koal & Iron Kops bodyguards that badly in so short a time, he is in for a very rough four years, it would seem. I think that they either did not take the "threat" of the drunk very seriously or that they were so fixated on watching something else (the groundhog? the girls flashing their breasts at the cameras?) that they were unaware that the drunk was even on stage, much less glomming onto the governor. They have image problems enough already, with the shooting in Uniontown, w/o looking like doofuses (doofi?) over this, too.

Pilot
February 3, 2003, 02:17 PM
I still can't believe Rendell is Governor of PA.

jhisaac1
February 3, 2003, 03:12 PM
I'm sorry to only vaguely touch on the subject of the thread, but on Friday, I was informed by my 6 year old, that on Sunday "if the hedgehog sees it's shadow, it's 6 weeks until Christmas."

I hope she didn't mind my laughing so hard.

jhisaac1

M1911
February 3, 2003, 04:20 PM
They were recognizable as the only people there dressed like Mormon missionaries.The security detail probably didn't vote for Rendell either.You guys crack me up:D

cratz2
February 3, 2003, 04:36 PM
...Jeff George...

Now there's a waste of money. How many dollars has he made going from losing team to losing team not pulling them from their slump?

Mal H
February 3, 2003, 05:08 PM
Jeff George. Now there's a waste of money. How many dollars has he made ...

Millions! And we (the Redskins) gave up Brad Johnson in order to keep him. :banghead:

We're getting off track of the bodyguard issue, but when that no-op's name came up I had to rant. Sorry.

Blackhawk
February 3, 2003, 06:18 PM
It was only Rendell, so what's the problem? :rolleyes:

Subby
February 3, 2003, 11:33 PM
What Tropical Z said. I've always wanted to make it up to Punxy for the festivities. Maybe next year.

Sub

M58
February 3, 2003, 11:49 PM
PSP was briefed to protect the Chuck!:neener:

Mal H
February 4, 2003, 01:12 AM
I think you've got it M58! They were Phil's bodyguards, not Rendell's. Had the drunk accosted Phil, well then they would have had him on the ground and in cuffs in a flash. :)

Conversation overheard that evening in the local pub, "Ya know, I love that little fella. I'd take a bullet for him without question. I would! Howza 'bout another one barkeep."

If you enjoyed reading about "Ed Rendell's Bodyguards Screwed Up" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!