Resurrecting the cryo treatment thread.....

PDA

deadx
April 6, 2013, 11:13 AM
Gentlemen,
This is the original and definitive process for cryogenically treating any of your gun barrels. I just became a member on these forums and I know this may be a dead subject for many but thought that this info would be well received and hopefully answer any questions about this process. Here is the link:
http://www.300below.com/firearms-cryo-barrel/

If you enjoyed reading about "Resurrecting the cryo treatment thread....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Welding Rod
April 6, 2013, 03:52 PM
Cryogenic treatment of gun barrels would be much less suspect if the company would simply run some very carefully and well documented tests and post the details of the tests on their website.

Personally, the company's failure to do that is what raises my suspicion.

May I suggest any tests include an early model Mini 14 which are notorious for poi change during barrel heating.

That said, I had a problem with warped front brake rotors on my 4,000 pound Challenger until I installed cryo treated rotors. Cant say if it was the cyro or just better rotor manufacturing procedures that made the difference.

juk
April 7, 2013, 03:02 AM
I had my tang safety M77 barrel and action cryo treated several years ago. My barrel and action had a high polished blue from the factory. The cryo treating completely eliminated any flyer issues I was having with the rifle. It will shoot the same exact group from a fouled bore, hot barrel, clean bore, or cold bore. I did not notice a decrease in group size. It is much easier to clean, however. I would have paid the money just to get ride of the fliers so everything else is icing on the cake. I did notice that the bluing is somehow deeper and prettier.

I remember seeing a before and after test of a Mini 14 that was cryo treated. It helped the accuracy on that rifle quite a bit. I know that benelli treats most if not all of their shotgun barrels. There are a ton of race/offroad automotive parts that are cryo'd. In my opinion, it is not a gimmick. I do believe that some companies may slightly exaggerate claims on any gains, though.

klausman
April 7, 2013, 05:34 AM
I have had several of my barrels treated by the folks mentioned above. While I cannot say definitively that they are more consistent, (I suspect they are.) I can say that they are easier to clean. While only a small difference, at least one gun improved velocity with the same loads, both factory and handloads. I like their process enough to use them again. Service was fast and friendly.

I have no connection to the company, other than being an occasional customer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Resurrecting the cryo treatment thread....." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!