Having trouble with proper feeding

PDA

RugerNut9
April 6, 2013, 12:12 PM
I'm shooting a Kahr CW9 the load data I have is for a 4' Barrel gun, mine is 3" how much should I modify my loads to ensure better cycling and rechambering?
The current is:
Powder: Winchester AutoComp
Charge: 5.2 gr
Bullet Type: Hornaday XTP
Bullet Weight: 90gr
COAL: 1.040

They seem a little weak when I shoot them as far as recoil goes and I know the gun functions well with factory ammo. My concern is though that the MAX load is 5.1 in my book, I loaded most with 5.2 trying to compensate for the smaller bullet and shorter barrel.
:cuss::banghead::cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "Having trouble with proper feeding" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
geist262
April 6, 2013, 12:30 PM
Are you crimping? I use a taper crimp on 9mm. My friend was having feeding issues and he wasn't crimping. I taper crimped some for him and it functioned good after that. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcmodel
April 6, 2013, 12:37 PM
how much should I modify my loads to ensure better cycling and rechambering?Use a 115 or 124 grain bullet.

A 90 grain in a subcompact may be difficult to get a proper recoil impulse to operate the slide at less then max load level.

Your Kahr was designed around standard 9mm bullet weight, which is 115-124 grains.

And your 5.2 gr Charge is well below the recommended Starting load with Autocomp powder according to Hodgdon data.

The Starting load with a 90 XTP is 6.1 grains.
MAX is 6.5.

rc

Hondo 60
April 6, 2013, 02:40 PM
Why would you use less than Hodgdon's starting point?

AutoComp's range is 6.1 - 6.5 for a 90 gr Speer Gold Dot.
For an XTP, I'd start about the same, 6.1, & work up from there.

RugerNut9
April 6, 2013, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the input, I was going off the data printed in the book I have here at home. The data was for 100 gr bullets, I tried to slightly increase it based off that information.

hostjunkies
April 6, 2013, 07:08 PM
Most powder vendors have load data on their websites now. Very useful as a secondary source to augment book data.

If you enjoyed reading about "Having trouble with proper feeding" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!