information on us revolver co handgun

PDA

jumpnjack64
April 6, 2013, 02:04 PM
I am looking for information on an old US Revolver co 38s&w. I know this to be a .38 as I did the pencil test seen on your forum. The serial number is 59994, with no letter prefix. How old is this gun? I also read that it is not ideal for personal protection? any information is greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "information on us revolver co handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 6, 2013, 02:11 PM
U.S. Revolver: Trade name used by the Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works on inexpensive
pocket revolvers. The company name was first used in 1891, and continued to be used through about the beginning of WWII when bicycle production ceased.

It was barely better then a Saturday Night Special when it was new.

And unlike wine, old revolvers do not get better with age.

It is what it is, and a modern CCW gun in an effective caliber you can practice with, it isn't.

rc

DPris
April 6, 2013, 03:26 PM
Fully agree.
Inferior metallurgy, inferior caliber, inferior bullet.
Denis

Ron James
April 6, 2013, 06:21 PM
US Revolvers were made from 1911 until 1931. At first Iver Johnson was just trying to use up left over parts from the Iver Johnson line, however the US Revolver became so popular that it became a separate line with in it self. and was produced side by side with the Iver Johnson. The first two years of production , Iver may have used Black powder frames, but after ward they were the same frame as the regular Iver Johnson's. They were not a Cheaper gun, but a separate line of guns, in fact they were designed for the mail order trade and cost only a few cents less that out of a store Iver. This is where opinions differ, the Iver Johnson's and H&R's were not cheap Saturday night specials, these guns were issued to and carried by the police all across the US , guards, night watchmen and carried by more than a few western bad guys and lawmen, During WW II They were purchased by the US Government and by the British Government. They were not made of cheap inferior metal. They were good, utility type guns carried carried by the every day man. The reason so many are found today in bad shape is because they were carried and used for years until they were used up. No, they were not the same quality as the Colts and S&W's, but not every could afford nor did they need the extra quality of the other. The same is true today, why do you think so many " Island" guns are being sold. If there is no letter prefix in front of the serial number under the left grip ( where the true serial number is found ) It was manufactured in 1913 and should be considered a black powder frame. I would not use modern ammo in it.

DPris
April 6, 2013, 10:50 PM
Didn't say they were "cheap inferior metal". Or even cheap inferior "medal". :)
They were inferior to what's available today, and they were not widely used by police or other officials.
They remain a poor choice for SD.
Denis

If you enjoyed reading about "information on us revolver co handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!