LC9-range report

PDA

Catpop
April 6, 2013, 05:32 PM
I reloaded some 9mm with 3.5 Red Dot under a 115 gr Oregon trail LRN and went to the range for some mental theropy. I shot 2 rounds at 10 yards off hand and was surprized to see the shots touching. Hum, so I backed off to my standard 25 yards and sat down with a sand bag. I was able to produce multiple 5 to 6 inch 5 shot groups. Now I did not go tho the range to try to produce groups, but that is what it envolved into- somehow. Furthermore the fired loads proved quite functional with no issues including barrel leading.
Question: Is 5-6 inch groups in this senerio what one should expect from this pocket pistol? I personally thought it was quite good.

If you enjoyed reading about "LC9-range report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nathan
April 6, 2013, 05:54 PM
25 yrds is the far end of a self defense spectrum. Most of the SD involved within the 7 yd distance or lesser.

JERRY
April 6, 2013, 05:56 PM
you can tighten those groups up a bit with more trigger time and the right load which the gun likes best. but all in all that is plenty good for that gun at that range.

Catpop
April 6, 2013, 06:12 PM
More trigger time? Isn't that trigger pull long enough????? Lets see, about 2 inches per shot, 5 shots, that's almost a foot of trigger time per group!!!!!:rolleyes:

JERRY
April 6, 2013, 07:02 PM
i think you know what i meant. if not just ask.

Catpop
April 6, 2013, 08:07 PM
Surely I jest. Good shooting friend, catpop

M2 Carbine
April 8, 2013, 03:44 AM
Question: Is 5-6 inch groups in this senerio what one should expect from this pocket pistol? I personally thought it was quite good.
Sounds good to me.:)

I have 3 LC9's.

The LC9 does pretty good at 52 yards also.:)

When I bought the first one I put over a thousand rounds through it in 8 days. Now I have about two thousand trouble free rounds through the gun.

It's a little big for most of my pocket carry but I carry it every chance I get.

The third LC9 I bought, a couple weeks ago, is the NRA with camo lower.

burk
April 8, 2013, 02:04 PM
Ruger does not recommend 115 grain ammo for that gun. From my own experience, while my LC9 feeds it just fine, my groups really open up with 115's. With 124 Lawman or AE My groups are about half the size. For most of the small bbl (under 3.5") 9mm semi-autos the makers recommend 124 or 147 grain ammo. It seems to stabilize in the bbl better.

Catpop
April 8, 2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks for that info. I'll try a heavier bullet but it will probably be lead as I'm tight and fmj is non-existent right now. Catpop

Arkansas Paul
April 8, 2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks for that info. I'll try a heavier bullet but it will probably be lead as I'm tight and fmj is non-existent right now. Catpop

Here are some 147 grain plated, if you prefer them over lead. Personally, I like lead.
Their shipping prices are high but they are in stock, and the price of the bullets is pretty good considering.

http://store.affordablebrassandbullets.com/catalog/category/5019291/9mm-147gr-rn

If you enjoyed reading about "LC9-range report" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!