Hellboy

PDA

Lightsped
March 15, 2004, 10:39 AM
Anyone here planning to see the new Hellboy movie? It looks to be very action packed!

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0305/13/hellboy.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Hellboy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snowdog
March 15, 2004, 11:07 AM
That must be Webley's new .500 Nitro Express magnum I've been hearing about.

Yes, I plan to watch the movie... I watch just about every sci-fi, adventure and action movie to hit the silver screen. Dawn of the Dead is planned for this weekend I believe.

AJ Dual
March 15, 2004, 11:31 AM
What's the backstory?

I'm guessing this is some kind of comic book franchise. Between the appearance of "Hellboy", and the commercials I've seen on TV, I'm extrapolating that:

"Hellboy" is some kind of "good-guy" from hell, a-la "Spawn", a de-frocked or kicked-out demon. Or so I'm guessing because he appears to have horns that are cut off. He works for some kind of paranormal agency that fights evil and monsters.

Am I close?

J Jones
March 15, 2004, 11:57 AM
This looks like a contender for "dumbest movie ever," so I think I won't be wasting my $8.

Lightsped
March 15, 2004, 12:05 PM
Yeah, from what I understand, this movie is based on a Comic Book character. I did see the previews and the previews had ALOT of shooting in it. Dumb movie? Maybe. Alot of shooting/guns? Definately.

starfuryzeta
March 15, 2004, 12:41 PM
From what I've read, Hellboy is a demon that was summoned by Rasputin (yes, that mad monk) to help out the Nazis. Well, the U.S. interfered, got Hellboy, vanquished Rasputin, etc.

Now, there is a paranormal bureau that Hellboy and others work for...but the bad guys are back.

http://www.hellboy.com/

Kharn
March 15, 2004, 12:51 PM
High Resolution Trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/hellboy/hellboy_trailer_high.html)

I think I've gotta see it, right after The Punisher.

Kharn

ocabj
March 15, 2004, 12:52 PM
Quite a few interesting movies coming out this year, even before the start of the summer movie season (Memorial Day). Between now and April there's Hellboy, The Alamo, The Punisher, Man On Fire, and Jersey Girl (I'm a Kevin Smith fan).

I really want to see Man On Fire. The trailers on Quicktime.com look really good.

J Jones
March 15, 2004, 12:56 PM
From what I've read, Hellboy is a demon that was summoned by Rasputin (yes, that mad monk) to help out the Nazis. Well, the U.S. interfered, got Hellboy, vanquished Rasputin, etc.

Didn't Rasputin die in 1916? Pretty hard to help the Nazis when they didn't even exist then.

Sam Adams
March 15, 2004, 01:13 PM
Don't see The Alamo! I live quite near to San Antonio, and I won't see that PC revisionist POS movie. This one isn't a remake of the 1960 movie starring The Duke, but a remake of history that looks at things quite a bit from the Mexican point of view. See it if you will, but my money will go elsewhere (like to shooting more).

Daedalus
March 15, 2004, 01:23 PM
Didn't Rasputin die in 1916? Pretty hard to help the Nazis when they didn't even exist then.

It is a movie about a pistol packing demon from hell who teams up with a fish-man to fight some kind of squid-werewolf and you are pointing out historical inaccuracies regarding Rasputin's time of death?

:D

Also, I wanted to point out that yes, his finger IS off the trigger in that first picture!

J Jones
March 15, 2004, 01:51 PM
It is a movie about a pistol packing demon from hell who teams up with a fish-man to fight some kind of squid-werewolf and you are pointing out historical inaccuracies regarding Rasputin's time of death?

The best sci-fi has a good basis in fact/historical consistency when setting up its premise. You'd think that they would check their facts a little better before cooking up their cover story on the origins of this stuff.

Give me "Dune" any day of the week (non-David Lynch please).

Harry Tuttle
March 15, 2004, 02:52 PM
now dats a gun:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/extra/8911_extra04.jpg

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=hellboy_poly&item=8911&type=store#jpgs

Cosmoline
March 15, 2004, 03:03 PM
From earlier discussions at the Revolver forum, I thought this was a Webley .455 modified by the prop guys. Now that second photo makes it look like a whole new construction.

It's interesting. Two barrels, spitzer bullets. The cartridges look like cut-down .45-70's(??) Can anyone read the back of the cartridge cases?

Not sure I'd want a break-top for that level of pressure, though :D

Flying V
March 15, 2004, 03:08 PM
I think the enormous gaps in the chamber walls would be an even greater problem with high-pressure loads, or any loads whatsoever.
On the up side, the goth-babe model at the website selling these things is using proper trigger finger discipline.

For $300, I'd rather have a real gun.

There appear to be two different headstamps.
Two read
BPRD
22 (something..."dvm" perhaps)
(something which looks like "DR" or "DF")

The other two read
BPRD
32 mm
("DR" or "DF"?)

AJ Dual
March 15, 2004, 03:18 PM
On the up side, the goth-babe model at the website selling these things is using proper trigger finger discipline.

I'm not sure she can reach it... LOL.

Cosmoline
March 15, 2004, 03:27 PM
I think the enormous gaps in the chamber walls would be an even greater problem with high-pressure loads, or any loads whatsoever.

LOL. I just noticed those! Not a good idea at all. But I have to say I'm happy to see any revolver in an action film these days, no matter how funkified and twisted. There was a day and age when the toughest tough guys had wheelguns (Dirty Harry, for example). Now it's all Desert Eagles and weird full auto pistoles.

note: "BPRD" on the cartridge head stands for Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense. The mm can't be right. That's not over 30mms, is it? The bullets look like the chopped-off tops of BMG .50 Cal. ball.

HankB
March 15, 2004, 03:33 PM
Not sure I'd want a break-top for that level of pressure, though Hmmm . . . looking at the unsupported case, it must be a large caliber revolver by . . . wait for it . . . GLOCK.

:neener: the goth-babe model at the website selling these things is using proper trigger finger discipline. No choice - from the photo, I doubt she could REACH the trigger.

Skunkabilly
March 15, 2004, 03:39 PM
This looks like a contender for "dumbest movie ever," so I think I won't be wasting my $8.

C'mon Mortal Kombat ended up being alright.... :D

Heckboy--what happens when you don't believe in Gosh :neener:

WhoKnowsWho
March 15, 2004, 05:18 PM
I will be going to see it, hopefully, when time allows. I always say I will go see something, then I wait for the cheap theatre, then I wait for DVD... since I pay for me and my wife, if I go see it at the regular showing, I might as well have paid to take it home!

Mulliga
March 15, 2004, 05:25 PM
No choice - from the photo, I doubt she could REACH the trigger.

She CAN reach the trigger.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/large/8911.jpg

Cosmoline
March 15, 2004, 05:27 PM
Also ten bonus points to these guys for being the first prop makers in ages to include a LANYARD on a movie handgun! That made me happy

Min
March 15, 2004, 05:28 PM
Two words: Dollar movie

Looks kinda cool, though

Sean Smith
March 15, 2004, 05:55 PM
These kind of movies can either be really fun, or like gouging your eyes out with rusty nails. But not usually anything in-between. Might be good goofy fun, but I'd watch it at the half-price matinee.

Correia
March 15, 2004, 06:05 PM
Ron Pearlman is a king amongst B movie actors. I'm going to go see it. :)

And you only think Rasputin died in 1916. He was summoning demons in the 1940s. Hitler survived the war as well, and in his new cyborg body tried to take over the world from his secret base in Argentina in the 1950s. A young Hellboy defeated Hitler when he tore Hitler's new cyborg leg off and beat him to death with it.

Yep, I'm a geek. Going to go see Dawn of the Dead next week, and then this the week after. 2004 Year of the Nerd! :p

Grey54956
March 15, 2004, 07:06 PM
I can honestly say that the Hellboy comic book series is one of the best, most entertaining series I have ever had the pleasure to read. This movie has the possibility of being very lame, or if it is true to the comic, it will be the coolest thing ever.

BryanP
March 15, 2004, 07:18 PM
At Best Buy they're giving away preview DVD's for Hellboy. They have various previews and a "behind the scenes" look at Hellboy. For the comic book fans the movie is based on the first major story arc collection.

Heck I'll go see it.

Min
March 15, 2004, 07:46 PM
They had a free screening of "Hellboy" in Austin last night.

Present in the theater were Perlman who played Hellboy and Del Toro the director.

ARRGH!

cool45auto
March 15, 2004, 08:19 PM
I'd like to see the video of her pullin' the trigger on that bad boy!:eek:

ocabj: Snoochie boochies!:cool:

Stickjockey
March 15, 2004, 09:11 PM
Can't believe nobody's quipped this before now:

It's the Webley from Hell!:evil:

Frohickey
March 15, 2004, 09:53 PM
A 4-shot revolver... if anything is begging for moonclips, its that! :scrutiny:

c_yeager
March 15, 2004, 11:54 PM
Not to mess up the whole "nerdy rationalization of movie ideas" thing. It APPEARS that the topstrap of the revolver completes the chamber when its in the firing position. In THEORY this would work and allow the massive sized chambers that we see there.

Parker Dean
March 16, 2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Stickjockey

It's the Webley from Hell!

OK, that one got me. LOL!

/me grabs towel and wipes Coke off monitor

On another note, there's a revolver, possibly blued no less, a lanyard ring was pointed out, and the website shows some trigger discipline. So my question is:

Which one of y'all was the consultant on this? :D

Flying V
March 16, 2004, 12:14 AM
If you look at this picture:
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/extra/8911_extra03.jpg

there's plenty of room for complete chamber walls.

Looking at the pictures, I notice that the cylinder stop notches, being offset between the chambers, are hanging in empty space and serving no purpose whatsoever.

Kaylee
March 16, 2004, 12:45 AM
I'm certain that further posts on this topic will be on the imaginary Webley, not movies in general right?

General Gun Discussions :: Posts must be related to firearms.

c_yeager
March 16, 2004, 03:50 AM
It wouldnt look nearly as cool with the sidewalls though. It IS a movie afterall.

And i was wrong. From that picture the 'top strap' doesnt NEARLY form a chamber seal at all. Also if i remember my geometry right cant any cylinder that holds four rounds ALSO hold five?

patentnonsense
March 16, 2004, 05:46 AM
The prop people must've had to work REALLY hard to make something that looked like steel while getting the weight down to where their actors could handle it.

And the idea of a revolver configuration for a 37mm FLARE launcher isn't impossible - somebody already sells a ten-shot flare repeater, so there's at least some demand. The challenge would be to pare the weight down while tolerating the modest pressures of a flare cartridge. (Anybody know what kind of pressure spec those have?) The construction of flare launchers I've seen looks like their pressures might be comparable to shotgun shells, say 8000 or so??

Five-shot of course, unless for some reason the designer wants the open cylinder to look like a Maltese cross...

Gray Peterson
March 16, 2004, 07:02 AM
Year of the comic Book: Definitely.

The Punisher (the good Marvel version, not that Dolph Lundgren POS)
Hellboy.

And yes, Alien vs. Predator. *drools*

Yes, it's good to be a comic book fan! :)

starfuryzeta
March 16, 2004, 07:52 AM
Here's some of the gun info from the movie website:

.60mm chambering four rounds. Weighs 6lbs. Forged by hand in Massachusetts. Forged from Silver, old horseshoes, cannonballs, and holy amulets. Smelting included holy incantations. Handle carved from the "true cross". 1400lb blast with special HPs. Glass chamber inside casing can include holy water, silver, white oak, etc.

Snowdog
March 16, 2004, 09:35 AM
Um, was that 60mm or .60mm (not that either make any sense). :D
Maybe they mean to say .60 caliber?

However, I must say that is perhaps the worst prop gun I've ever seen (the pulse rifle from Aliens being the nicest). Sure it has some of that "archaic-n-gothic" flavor that you might find in hell's gunshops, but that's why they were sent to hell in the first place.

Red Dane
March 16, 2004, 09:58 AM
If this movie is as poor as Spawn was.. I'm not eager to see it.

:o

armoredman
March 16, 2004, 10:52 AM
OK, children, lets get someone with skill to create a firing replica, with a .223 inside the "cartridge", which is reinforced to produce a safe chamber.....have the barrel bell out the last 1/2 inch to create the cannon like bore.
How's that sound?:eek:

Joe Demko
March 16, 2004, 11:17 AM
The chambers are the wrong shape to use trounds, but the Dardick pistol did have open sided chambers like that IIRC.

Yes, I did recall correctly. (http://securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/1300/1358.htm)

Red Dane
March 16, 2004, 11:47 AM
Oi, Lonnie ;) assuming this is the Lonnie from AvPnews?

Dev|null here, finally registered for THR..

Excited over the AvP movie? I hope it spawns a game :)

:p

Frohickey
March 16, 2004, 02:00 PM
You forget...Spiderman 2 vs Doc Oc this 4th of July.

I can't wait for Iron Man though. :p

Flying V
March 16, 2004, 02:11 PM
Perhaps they should have armed Hellboy with one of these:
http://www.ocyoung.com/IMAGES/577Pistol.jpg
It has plenty of "gothic-archaic" flavor, and is quite real.
It fires this: (the little one is a .45 acp)
http://www.ocyoung.com/IMAGES/577Cartridge.jpg
A view of the pointy end:
http://www.ocyoung.com/IMAGES/577Hole.jpg

Logan5
March 16, 2004, 02:20 PM
That's definitely flavoriferous. Where do I get one?

I also think Dixie's alpen-fest type guns would look good on screen in these kinds of roles... check out this one: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=2043

It's really appealing to me, and I don't know why.

Oh, and the other one (not so fond, but it's also decidedly cannon-like):
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92&products_id=2016

Flying V
March 16, 2004, 02:49 PM
The one pictured is for sale at the page I borrowed the pictures from. It's just a little north of $4,000.
That first yodelgun does have a certain appeal.

Mizzoutiger
March 16, 2004, 02:52 PM
Anybody wanna post side-by-sides of Hellboy and Ted Danson?
:cool:

Sean Smith
March 16, 2004, 03:57 PM
I can't wait for Iron Man though.

But who in Hollywood can play someone as smart as Tony Stark? :p

QuarterBoreGunner
March 16, 2004, 04:04 PM
Logan5- damn, that thing is kinda cool:
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/images/PS0580.jpg
Barrel is 12 gauge, armory bright 12 ½”, tapered octagon. Smoothbore .370 diameter. Ignition is percussion and uses the musket cap, single shot. Features steel furniture, color casehardened lock, trigger, triggerplate, buttplate, upper sling swivel and lower sling button. 25” overall length and weighs 11 ¼ lbs. Load with 90 grains of FFg powder or 1 1/8oz. shot. (We do not carry any shot.) Manufacturer Palmetto/Italy.

NIFTY!

If you enjoyed reading about "Hellboy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!