Just for Fun and Competition

PDA

tarosean
April 7, 2013, 10:42 AM
Ive decided to forgo ordering a new gun. I am too impatient to wait out 2yrs +. So I am basically looking at an off the shelf gun for fun and games. Ive got all my other bases covered, Range, HD, SD, etc.

As of right now its between these two.

Les Baer Monolith 45acp
STI Edge (40S&W)

Which would you choose and why? Any other suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "Just for Fun and Competition" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Bushmaster
April 7, 2013, 11:12 AM
I own several .45 ACPs and no .40s. I have all I need to reload .45 ACP and no loading equipment for the .40.

Choice? Simple. .45 ACP....

tarosean
April 7, 2013, 01:27 PM
^ I own several guns in each caliber so that's really not an issue.

Id be different if I thinking of 38Super in one of them, as I dont own anything in that.

My drawbacks are the Monolith is limited in classes (Limited 10 is just about the only one)

While on the STI using a double stack in Limited 10 is kinda overkill. But it can also move to Limited without a hiccup.

They are around the same exact cost so thats not even pushing me in a direction.

JTQ
April 7, 2013, 01:51 PM
My understanding is those double stack STI mags are kind of pricey, while the LB will use standard 1911 mags, if that makes a difference to you.

tarosean
April 8, 2013, 02:06 AM
My understanding is those double stack STI mags are kind of pricey, while the LB will use standard 1911 mags, if that makes a difference to you.

Yeah I dont know too many working people where a price difference of 50-100+ per mag wouldn't effect them.. esp. when you factor in you need 5-6 of them.

While, I have a few dozen 1911 mags none are 10 rounders.

Course 180 for all I need vs 600+ may just make up my mind.

allaroundhunter
April 8, 2013, 02:24 AM
If competition is in the mix it is a no-brainer, go with the STI. After shooting an Eagle (9mm) recently, an STI is on my short list for your exact purpose.

Sent from my HTC One X

bannockburn
April 8, 2013, 07:01 AM
Les Baer Monolith in .45ACP. Mainly because I reload for the .45ACP, I currently don't have any .40 caliber guns (or ammo for that matter), and I really would love to own a Les Baer Monolith just for the pure fun of it. It would be great for competition too.

Bovice
April 8, 2013, 10:50 AM
You mean to tell me you aren't comparing the HK USP to a SIG P226?

el G-daddy would be disappointed.

tarosean
April 8, 2013, 11:01 AM
You mean to tell me you aren't comparing the HK USP to a SIG P226?
LoL neither are acceptable competition guns. The X5 lacks capacity in limited and is one heck of a porker for l10.

GLI45
April 9, 2013, 01:44 AM
I shoot both the Edge and Eagle in competition and would be hard pressed to change to anything else. STI originally built their reputation on their double stack pistols. The Edge (designed by Dave Dawson when he was still at STI) was designed as a competition gun.

tarosean
April 9, 2013, 02:05 AM
Well I pulled the trigger on the LB. It will be a few weeks before I can get it in my paws as I am out of the country right now. In the meantime I will stock up on 10rd mags.

If figure if it comes down to it I can always recoup my money and give the STI a go.

If you enjoyed reading about "Just for Fun and Competition" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!