Surface Scratch Repair

PDA

sammass
April 7, 2013, 12:04 PM
Yesterday, I committed a cardnial sin using the wrong tool at the right time. Sigh....

Was adjusting the sights on my Ruger Mini-14, 181 series. The adjuster hung up, then spun quickly, and the result was a bright 1/2" scratch/gouge across the top of the receiver. Put it away quickly before the rifle or I became a golf club pretzel in my stupidity frustration.

Have read many of the blue, cold blue, rust blue, sharpie suggestions. None seem to be quite right. Would like to 1) protect the metal from rusting and 2) diminish the bright contrast of the bare metal. The scratch can stay there to remind me to not be impatient.

Would appreciate your experienced suggestions. Thanks.

Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "Surface Scratch Repair" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 7, 2013, 12:42 PM
Birchwood-Casey Presto blue pin is gonna do as good as can be expected.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/178848/birchwood-casey-presto-gun-blue-pen

rc

Sun Tzu warrior
April 8, 2013, 12:07 AM
I agree with RC on the pen, however, the Mini 14 rear sight is painted gloss black, and not blued.
Birchwood Casey Super Black (a pen like RC recomended) would match much better.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/306272/birchwood-casey-super-black-touch-up-pen-gloss

By the way, I belive the metal the rear sight is made of will not rust. (I think it's pot metal) The pen at $8 and change is a good investment, and will serve you well for a long time, on many projects.
I have one in flat black and used it for more than firearms.

Matno
May 1, 2013, 02:05 PM
Just out of curiousity, anyone found something that doesn't come off? A lot of the reviews of the Birchwood Casey pens on Amazon say that it comes right off when you clean or oil the gun (or even just touch it with your hand!). I'd prefer something I don't have to reapply frequently. I've already done that on other gun dings with a Sharpie (which never looks very good, and doesn't stay on well).

I see that B-C also has an "Aluminum Black Metal Touch up Paint" but there isn't a single review of it on Amazon. Maybe that would be better for me? (For my aluminum AR lower receiver).

If you enjoyed reading about "Surface Scratch Repair" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!