how much ammo per caliber do you keep on hand

PDA

Potatohead
April 7, 2013, 01:17 PM
Would appreciate some info on how much ammo you guys and gals try to keep on hand per caliber. I know everyones answer will probably be different but im just wondering about how much everyone elses numbers are and how they compare to my goal which is 2500 per (im not quite there yet)....this is quite a bone of contention between my wife and I..imagine that. lol

If you enjoyed reading about "how much ammo per caliber do you keep on hand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Thursday45
April 7, 2013, 01:34 PM
I don't really have a set goal. I just pick ammo up as I see it and my ammo amounts differ from caliber to caliber. Some I have hundreds, which are the caliber I shoot most often, and some I have very little that don't get shot. I guess ideally I'd like over 200 rounds for each caliber.

JohnM
April 7, 2013, 01:38 PM
Some handgun 2 or 3 thousand, most rifles a thousand or less.

clocker
April 7, 2013, 01:39 PM
There are a great many threads already about this topic. You might have better luck with the search function.

That being said, most people will say to look at your monthly shooting habits and keep 3-6 months worth on hand so that you don't have to buy when the market is crazy.

sota
April 7, 2013, 01:42 PM
I have alot. I wish I had more.

shaky shooter
April 7, 2013, 01:48 PM
I try to keep over 1000 rd for my 223 and a couple hundred rounds for my other guns.

MedWheeler
April 7, 2013, 01:48 PM
A lot less than I used to. I'm holding on to what I have left. Normally, only a couple of hundred rounds of centerfire handgun ammo (.32, .380, .38, .357, and 9x19mm), and a thousand or two of .22LR. I don't own any centerfire rifles.

But, it's been a lot harder to come by.

Stevie-Ray
April 7, 2013, 01:55 PM
At least a couple thousand rounds of .22LR, the centerfires substantially less, such as probably 200 rounds or so of defensive handgun, 100 rounds or less of shotgun.

Walkalong
April 7, 2013, 01:59 PM
I try to have at least one full box of ammo for each caliber put back for a rainy day. I still need some calibers.

xfyrfiter
April 7, 2013, 02:03 PM
Probably 10,000 or so in 22, 2000 in .223, 300 in .308, 250 in 12 ga., and 500 or so in various handgun calibers. I am not well stocked in comparison to some that I know.

Queen_of_Thunder
April 7, 2013, 02:07 PM
I try to have at least one full box of ammo for each caliber put back for a rainy day. I still need some calibers.
I just have to ask this. How many rounds are in that 1 box?

As for me a years worth of shooting is my usual level and that varies by caliber and gun use.

Bobson
April 7, 2013, 02:16 PM
As for me a years worth of shooting is my usual level and that varies by caliber and gun use.
That's a great way to approach this.

For me, I'm sorry to say I only keep a box or two on hand for each caliber. So 50-100 rounds for handguns, less than 50 for rifles. The reason I'm sorry about that is it has now become a problem.

After this shortage gets better, I'm going to try to keep around 1,000 rounds of each caliber, and maybe twice that in .22LR. I wasn't much of a gun owner the first time around.

Deaf Smith
April 7, 2013, 02:22 PM

That is something you don't advertize to the world due to DHS snoops.

Don't matter if you have just a handful or a washtub of ammo.

But say, since the DHS has BILLIONS of rounds on hand, shouldn't we?

Deaf

22-rimfire
April 7, 2013, 02:31 PM
My approach is to buy at a rate that is 2x usage. Once I get beyond an inventory (cache) that exceeds my average yearly shooting, then I buy one and shoot one. Try to shoot the older ammuntiion first unless there is something special about it... like expensive 22LR target ammunition.

The shortage has thrown a monkey wrench into the mix as you can't easily replace your cache if you shoot it up, hence all the stockpiling.

Only you can answer the question "how much is enough?"

9w1911
April 7, 2013, 02:33 PM
I like to be in the 1000s at the minimal, but i reload

col_temp
April 7, 2013, 02:36 PM
I agree with most of you above. BUt I would break it down a bit farther:
Target ammo Handgun: at least a couple 1000.
SD Handgun: 500-600 (You need to practice with it occasionally!)
Shotgun: 500+
Rifle: (Hunting) 100 or so, depends on how much use and practice you need! If you are new to the rifle then a couple of hundred, after that enough for a couple of hunting seasons.
Tactical: a couple of 1000 min. Depend on how often you go shooting!

Really depends on how often you shoot. Also if TSHTF for real are you really wanting to look for Ammo.

jrdolall
April 7, 2013, 02:40 PM
In normal times I like to have a minimum of 10k rounds of .22 LR as we shoot it a great deal for plinking and training new shooters. I normally buy bricks every week to keep my supply up. I keep several thousand 5.45x39 as well as 2k of .223. In other rifles I only need 1-2 boxes as we don't shoot them that much. I try to keep 1k rounds of 9mm FMJ for practice and a couple of boxes of JHP. All other pistol ammo I just have a box or two.

bikerdoc
April 7, 2013, 02:43 PM
First of all welcome to the new guy.

Lets just say I am 64 and my routine for many years was buy 2 (whether it be box, brick or case) and shoot one.

I also reload a little.

So my answer is: I got enough.

baz
April 7, 2013, 03:18 PM
There are a great many threads already about this topic. You might have better luck with the search function.It is a perennially popular topic. I think the answer will depend on the audience. If you are just a "shooter," you'll answer one way; if you are a "survivalist," that will not be enough. I lean toward the latter, but without taking it too seriously. But it has led me to be in a situation where the current shortages are only a minor irritation or interruption to my normal buying patterns.

Specifically, I try to keep 20k rounds of 22LR on hand. I haven't inventoried it lately, but I'm probably near or even a bit above that.

For handguns, I try to keep 1,000 rounds each of .38spl, .357 magnum, and 9 mm on hand. I reload these calibers, though, and try to keep at least 5k each of small and large pistol primers on hand, and have enough brass to reload indefinitely. I'm also sitting pretty with bullets and powder for these calibers.

For centerfire rifle cartridges, for .223 I like to keep on the far side of 5k, since that is fired in a semi-auto with 30 round mags. For bolt and lever actions, 1k for each rifle, whatever the caliber. I'm tooling up to reload .223 and .308. I have all the components I need to reload .223 for some time. I just began purchasing brass and bullets for .308, but I'll wait and see if supply and price ease before stocking up on primers and powder.

So even if the S-never-HTF, following these guidelines meant that when the current crisis hit, I was already in good enough shape to weather it.

jcwit
April 7, 2013, 03:41 PM
I reload for all my centerfire calibers so very little, maybe a few hundred, some more, some less. Now primers and powder, totally different story, hehe, but I'm not posting that info other than to say I seriously doubt I'll ever run out or need more.

Rimfire .22's, same deal, but I may need a couple of bricks of the high priced target ammo. Other than that I'm set there as well.

SabbathWolf
April 7, 2013, 03:52 PM
My goal is to have 1000 rounds for each individual gun. Not just caliber.
Then just rotate out older ammo as I buy new to go shooting with, while always maintaining the 1000 round cache.

I also try to have at least 10-pistol mags and 20-rifle mags per gun as well.

Still working on all this though....;)

Torian
April 7, 2013, 03:54 PM
I try to keep 1000 rounds respectively with my main calibers (9mm, 10mm, .223 / 5.56). About 500 for .38 special / .357 magnum, and a few hundred mixed 12 gauge 00 buck and slugs.

Manny
April 7, 2013, 04:03 PM
I like to work on case quantities. A full unopened case in reserve for each weapon, one open for present consumption for each caliber.

Reloadron
April 7, 2013, 04:08 PM
It all depends. The calibers I shoot more of like .223 and .308 in rifle I like having a few thousand of each with the components to load a few thousand more. The same is true of .44 Mag and .45 LC. The calibers like 30-06 and for example 30 carbine maybe a thousand with the components to load more.

When out and about I buy anything that looks good and might be on sale. For example on Thanksgiving day the local Gander Mountain had Federal .223 on sale at @ $299 per thousand so while I never do the Black Friday or Thanksgiving day BS I went out and bought 2,000 rounds. Needless to say I'll never regret that move.

Ron

Beentown
April 7, 2013, 04:23 PM
I have consolidated calibers. I am now down to 22LR, .357mag, 9mm, 308WIN, 12 gauge and 223REM. In these calibers I have different firearms for each.

These are goals to maintain:

22LR - 5,500
.357 - 500 with 500 at the ready to reload
9mm - 1,000 plinkers, 500 SD/SHTF, and 2,000 ready to load
.223 - 1,000 plinkers, 500 hunting, and 2,000 ready to load
.308 - 500 hunting, 250 match, and 500 ready to load
12 gauge - 200 slugs, 100 duck, 100 geese, 100 small game, and 250 protection

Lj1941
April 7, 2013, 04:29 PM
:evil:My amount of ammunition varies greatly for my weapons from less than 100 rounds to a number that I will not say. It is nice to have several basic loads for my "combat" rifles. I have the most for one caliber that while reload-able it is not practical to do so. My hunting rifles are an entirely different story. I have sufficient components for hunting rounds but seldom have more than 40 or so rounds assembled. My hand gun calibers vary by their popularity with me. I tend to replace what I expend after a trip to the range. My 22 rim-fire cache is empty but will be stocked when this madness is over. I Have not expended any factory ammo except for my carry weapon and then only to check how it shoots. I carry strictly factory loads for CC and use hand loads for all of the rest!;):rolleyes:

taxiflyr
April 7, 2013, 04:35 PM
45acp 5k, 223 5k, 308 4k, 22 2k, 8mm 1k, 12ga 200, 3006 2k need more
alot of brass 20 pounds of powder need to stock up on lead and primers to make more

billymarr
April 7, 2013, 04:39 PM
450 minimum per caliber. 308 is split 150 for bolt gun and remainder is for the Saiga.

CSG
April 7, 2013, 04:50 PM
My safe is full but it's not enough in this political climate. I reload and have plenty of makings for .45ACP.

I noticed I had about 9k rounds of .22 (none bought recently) and enough of 9mm, .223, and .38 to not be worried about running out soon.

What I am worried about is the cost of replacement and a government that hates the second amendment and is doing whatever it can to make it obsolete.

VTmtn.man
April 7, 2013, 04:50 PM
1.) I think that this should first be approached from a civic, responsibility stance... what could you bring to the table in a SHTF senario...

2.) What are you recreational desires? Me... I like to shoot several times / wk. various cal.

If you have a gun but just have it for the sake of having it, my personal stance is 1K / gun

If you enjoy gaining proficency w/ your firearm, treat ammo like an investment in gold or silver. Not a bad investment, as times have proved. & by all means think about reloading your own!

TanklessPro
April 7, 2013, 04:51 PM
Ammo? Lost all of that with my firearms in that terrible boating accident. :evil::neener:

wally
April 7, 2013, 05:27 PM
My investments in ammo and reloading components have done way better than my 401K these past ten years!

Will it be enough? Like with my retirement $$$ who knows? but ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo :)

PabloJ
April 7, 2013, 05:29 PM
Would appreciate some info on how much ammo you guys and gals try to keep on hand per caliber. I know everyones answer will probably be different but im just wondering about how much everyone elses numbers are and how they compare to my goal which is 2500 per (im not quite there yet)....this is quite a bone of contention between my wife and I..imagine that. lol
Two hundred fifty rounds should be sufficient.

VTmtn.man
April 7, 2013, 05:42 PM
'Wally' Very well said!

When you have local dealers calling you up for cases of cal. they can't get... there is a problem! We should all be comfortably set w/ what we use to protect our families & property. I don't know what the aprox. x 2 billion rounds of gov. hollow point bullets has done in the market place to affect availabilty / prices? .... hmm? .22 rimfire uses about the same powder as .40 s&w... Why does the gov. require hollow point rounds for punching paper, "training"? Just lots of questions on my end...

CSG
April 7, 2013, 05:55 PM
Two hundred fifty rounds should be sufficient.
Sufficient for what?

huntsman
April 7, 2013, 06:04 PM
1k per pistol cal, I'm about 200 light in .45acp and about 400 heavy on .380acp
.22lr no real goal but at 2k, 12gauge components for 5k and 10lbs of buckshot 75lbs of pellets.

clutch
April 7, 2013, 06:30 PM
I'm a handloader so ammo per caliber is sorta sketchy. I also cast my own pistol and rifle bullets so it gets more sketchy. I have >15,000 primers, a few pistol calibers loaded in the 1000+ count range, lots of empty brass, and a lot of commercial bullets for my centerfire rifles.

So lets say 14,000 for rimfire, ~4000 or more cf rounds loaded and 15,000 I can make of some cartridge given time and desire with out going to the store for components.

I have 34 varieties of powder with some varieties having multiple canisters. I'm fat on unique, 748, 4895, lil gun, 4831, and a few others.

I have 500 #11 caps, 5# of FFG, two cans of Pyrodex RS, and a pile of soft lead. Don't want to forget the front stuffers.

I'm a student of 1994. My 2013 refresher course is going to have me amp this up by 3x or more before I retire.

rgwalt
April 7, 2013, 06:48 PM
Before this situation went down, I kept the following:
1000 rounds 9mm
800 rounds .45ACP
500 rounds .380
whatever was left in the last bulk pack of .22LR

This was what I thought would be sufficient based on my experience from the 2008 election. I was not prepared for current environment. My future plan is going to be:

~1000 rounds loose pack 9mm in an ammo can
1500 rounds 9mm in 50 round boxes in an ammo can (capacity of the can)
2 cases 9mm in 50 round boxes

800 rounds .45acp in 50 round boxes in an ammo can (capacity of the can)
2 cases .45acp in 50 round boxes

1500 rounds .380acp in 50 round boxes in an ammo can (capacity of the can)
2 cases .380acp in 50 round boxes

2000+ rounds .22LR in an ammo can (capacity of the can)
2 1600 round cases of CCI

When life gets back to normal and ammo is readily available, I will likely go back to the shoot 1 buy 1 routine. If supplies get tight, I will shoot through the ammo cans, refill them with the cases, and then buy new cases when time and availability permits.

I found that it quite easy to go through 300-500 rounds at a range session, especially when breaking in a new gun. I also found that it became quite easy to sell/trade my ammo in the current climate. As long as ammo is bought at reasonable prices, keeping a healthy shooting stock on hand isn't a waste of space or money. I am getting tired of lining up at Academy Sports each morning to buy ammo. At first it was fun, but it stopped being fun about 6 weeks ago.

joeschmoe
April 7, 2013, 07:03 PM
Several years worth or ammo, plus enough reloading components to last for decades if I'm careful. Even shooting a few hundred rounds per year, I have enough to make something go bang for the rest of my life. ( Are you gun grabbers listening?)
A few thousand of factory (brass) ammo, then a few thousand more of primers, bullets and lbs of powder to reload the quality factory brass. This is why I only buy quality brass, not steel cased ammo. (Not counting .22lr)
It's not a big pile. It didn't cost a fortune. I'll probably buy more, when prices come back down, but if ammo were never again available, I will get by.

VTmtn.man
April 7, 2013, 07:15 PM
'Joeschmoe',

I think that many of us out there can identify with the ardor & frustration that you have when it comes to matters of self protection/food on the table/ self viability... We just have to vote at the ballot box & pester our legis-F'n-lators, constantly & consistently! My 2 cents...

JohnBiltz
April 7, 2013, 07:21 PM
I figure it like this. I figure out what I want for basic load in a quality SD load. That is generally enough to fill my ready magazines twice. Then what I shoot in range ammo for a year. At the last moment back in November I added 2 cases of 9mm and a case of .223 to that on a whim and have not regretted it.

joeschmoe
April 7, 2013, 07:27 PM
'Joeschmoe',

I think that many of us out there can identify with the ardor & frustration that you have when it comes to matters of self protection/food on the table/ self viability... We just have to vote at the ballot box & pester our legis-F'n-lators, constantly & consistently! My 2 cents...
"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

thump_rrr
April 7, 2013, 07:29 PM
2,000 rounds per centerfire pistol.
1,000 rounds per centerfire rifle.

I reload so my next goal is to have components for 5,000 rounds per centerfire pistol and 2,000 rounds per centerfire rifle.

I've been shooting for less than 3 years so I am also acquiring more firearms all the time.
If this shortage ever goes away I'll reach my component goal.

JohnBT
April 7, 2013, 07:32 PM
I'm recently retired and over the years have spent a lot of money on ammo, beef jerky, bore cleaners and lubes.

I was thinking about selling my one AR two months ago (the guy decided not to) and discovered that I had 1700 rounds for it. I don't even shoot the dern thing much.

28 ga. - I have 2 or 3 big Rubbermaid bins full of everything from Win AA target loads to Fiocchi hunting and target loads.

.22 LR. - I'm down to my last 28 bricks of Wolf Match Target and Extra. The WMT was only $15/brick in 2004 and my guns liked it, so I bought a bunch.

I don't buy toilet paper one roll at a time either.

John

Agsalaska
April 7, 2013, 09:38 PM
I hardly ever shoot. I tend to buy on demand. So if I am going to shoot I just go to the store and buy ammo before I go. So I will have whatever is left over in the box at the end of deer season for whatever rifle I use, and maybe 100 rounds combined for 38, 9, and 40. I also will have a couple of hundred rounds of 7.62x39. And anywhere from 0-1000 rounds of 22. So not that much. In fact I could go months with just a couple of loaded magazines for my Glock and 5 in the hole for my snubby.

That worked great until the shortage. I will not continue this strategy in the future and will be more diligent in my supply.

horsemen61
April 7, 2013, 09:39 PM
not enough :uhoh:

silicosys4
April 7, 2013, 10:15 PM
when I get up to about 1500 rounds, i generally break down and buy a gun that shoots that particular kind of ammo.
Thats how its been working lately, anyways

Sauer Grapes
April 7, 2013, 10:16 PM
Factory ammo? 100-500
I handload, so I have all I need. 22 caliber? :cuss::banghead:

wally
April 7, 2013, 10:24 PM
Why does the gov. require hollow point rounds for punching paper, "training"? Just lots of questions on my end...

"Practice with what you carry" is advice we'd all like to abide by if funds permitted, but since the gov is spending other peoples' money its easy!

Geno
April 7, 2013, 10:35 PM
I don't get too carried away. I agree with bikerdoc. Try to buy two of whatever quantity of ammo I am purchasing. I use one and save one. My concern is to have enough reloading supplies to make high-quality hunting ammo. If I have a couple of boxes of factory ammo for each cartridge, I'm good, because I reload. My advice, don't break the bank. Be realistic, and purchase what you can, as you can, on a regular basis.

Geno

M2 Carbine
April 7, 2013, 10:52 PM
Put it this way, I have enough that since the shortage started I've given friends over 5,000 rounds of 22LR, .223, 9mm, 32ACP, .380, 12 ga, etc.
Gave a couple friends 200 rounds of 9mm today.
You have to take care of your friends but after the shortage we are going to have a talk about them stocking up.

One of the ladies is coming over tomorrow evening to learn to reload.

My suggestion is to have on hand at least a two year supply of every caliber you shoot.

I also suggest you have at least a years supply of food.

If nothing else, stocking up saves you money. Buy on sale, buy in bulk (of course it may be a while before you can do that).
For instance, I'm shooting WWB 9mm that cost $4.38 a box and eating such as, Campbell's Chunky Soup that cost less than 50% what it costs today (and YES the date is still good :D )

57tim
April 8, 2013, 11:46 PM
I just bought my first pistol in November, 22lf, second in December, 40 cal, third for my wife in Feb, 22lr.

I bought 1000 rounds of 22lr and buy at least $100 worth of .40 cal each month. Haven't shot any yet, weather has not been good enough.

Most ammunition for popular hand guns is short or nonexistent around here and my favorite store has started to limit to 250 rounds per person. Not much left after today. 3 times since I have been buying ammunition, I got the last boxes they had in .40 cal.

Agsalaska
April 8, 2013, 11:58 PM
I will have to admit that I never understood the reasoning behind thousands and thousands and thousands or rounds or ammunition. Today I get it.

Arkansas Paul
April 9, 2013, 12:28 AM
I don't have a set amount I shoot for. Pistol calibers I like 1k+ for each. Rifle rounds a few hundred. For .22, as many as I can hoard, but right now it's only in the 2-3k range. I have helped out a fellow shooter or two that has fallen victim to the shortage.

I have powder and bullets on hand for many, many thousands. Primers, not so much, but I'm in decent shape.

OldTex
April 9, 2013, 12:53 AM
There have been times when I felt a little foolish for acting like a survivalist when it came to building a healthy stock of components. Now I'm feeling less foolish. I don't really have that much loaded ammo, but I have a fair supply of components. Wish I had more bullets because that's my weak spot.

FROGO207
April 9, 2013, 01:03 AM
I fall along the lines of M2 Carbine with respect to keeping ahead of demand, I reload everything I shoot except rimfire. I will not let my on hand stock get below 2 years expected normal use. If it drops below that I simply stop shooting. If it gets close to the stopping point I restrict what I do shoot to just minimal practice each month. If I ever happen on a deal that is not to be repeated I will jump on it as a hedge against inflation. So as of now I am set for at least 10 years at current consumption.

M2 Carbine
April 9, 2013, 05:13 AM
I will have to admit that I never understood the reasoning behind thousands and thousands and thousands or rounds or ammunition. Today I get it.
Up until klinton was President I bought bunches of ammo and reloading components, on sale and in bulk, just to save money. Now days it's stock up what you can, when you can, because it may not be available next week.

I never in my life saw anything like how fast the guns and ammo dried up this time and I was expecting it.

Robbins290
April 9, 2013, 06:01 AM
500 per pistol caliber. 9mm and 45. 150 rounds of buckshot. 1,000 in 7.62x39. And i keep 2 spam cans of 7.62x54 for getting game on the table, just incase.

DoubleMag
April 9, 2013, 08:34 AM
9 rounds

nine rounds

So says NY Governor
1st to test my gun
2cnd to put back in sight
7 to ''Kill a Dee-ah'':neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "how much ammo per caliber do you keep on hand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!