How many reloaders

PDA

G'dale Mike
April 7, 2013, 10:18 PM
Have had shooting "friends" approach them about reloading "a few" rounds for them? How do you feel about it, knowing it may be difficult to replace the powder and primers you use? I told these folks i'd be happy to help them out, but they will have to find the formulas, (i'll have to verify the formulas researching them in my loading books) , and provide all components. I figured that was fair enough ,,, funny, i aint heard back from none of them!

If you enjoyed reading about "How many reloaders" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
April 7, 2013, 10:27 PM
I don't do it for 99% of the people I know. I do let friends shoot my reloads at the range sometimes.

Arkansas Paul
April 7, 2013, 10:34 PM
I'm with Walkalong. The vast majority of the time it's a no.
However, if I'm friends with the person, I have no qualms inviting them over and hanging out in the man cave and loading a few rounds together.

beatledog7
April 7, 2013, 10:36 PM
I reload for one other person besides myself, and he's my brother and best friend.

I suggest you have them come to your bench and you walk them through the process, with them dropping the powder and pulling the handle. And providing the components, of course.

jim243
April 7, 2013, 10:40 PM
Are you saying that you have had friends approch YOU about reloading for THEM?

Either way the answer would be NO. If for some reason their rifle or pistol should malfunction, I don't want to be even considered the cause. It is a good way to lose a friend or that friend's trust.

I only use reloads (Mine) and have had friends offer ammo to me to try out. I will not put anyone's reloads in my guns (I value my guns too much to take a chance). I find a excuse if they ask how did I like their rounds or just lie about it. At best I will nock apart their rounds and use the components for my own reloads.

Just my view on it.
Jim

Crashbox
April 7, 2013, 10:44 PM
I reload for three other people: me, myself, and I. No others, no exceptions.

bds
April 7, 2013, 10:56 PM
I will not put anyone's reloads in my guns
+1. I do not shoot anyone's reloads in my pistols.

For many reasons, I won't sell, trade or let any of my reloads out of my sight.

But family relatives, friends, neighbors and coworkers are welcome to join me to the range and shoot with me using my pistols (or their pistols I had a chance to barrel drop test/function check). Reloads leftover come back home with me.

I always offer to mentor how to reload their own and for those interested, help with the initial equipment/component set up.

I do make an exception for my sister who lives quite far away and she understands my reloads are only for her range practice and she uses factory JHP for SD/HD purposes. I have tested my reloads thoroughly in her pistols.

Yes, the current shortage has increased requests by people unable to find ammunition for me to provide them with my reloads but my answer is the same - come to the range and shoot with me or I will teach you to reload. When I explain the reasons why, they either gladly join me to the range or learn to reload.

mljdeckard
April 7, 2013, 10:56 PM
The list of people for whom I will reload is exactly the same length as the list of people who I know and trust well enough to use deadly force on their behalf. It's a VERY short list.

On the other hand, I will instruct anyone who thinks they can learn from me, but they will need to bring their own materials. I'll suck new guys in letting them think they are saving money. :)

J2FLAN
April 7, 2013, 11:06 PM
I am in the "no-never" crowd, just too much risk, maybe your reload more likey, their messed-up gun, but something bad could happen. I will help and advise, but they do the reloading.

ArchAngelCD
April 7, 2013, 11:10 PM
Like the others, only family members shoot my reloads and I don't shoot anyone's reloads either. There is just too much to lose.

jmorris
April 7, 2013, 11:16 PM
If anyone shoots my guns they shoot my reloads.

MK75
April 7, 2013, 11:20 PM
When I reload my handgun loads, I always use the minimum powder charge (I am reloading to save money) to the longest recommended OAL as verified by at least 3 sources. That being said, I would not let others shoot my reloads. There is just to much that could go wrong. Would I shoot someone else's reloads..? Heck NO. Not now, not never.

FROGO207
April 7, 2013, 11:35 PM
I have had MANY people ask if I will reload a bunch of ammo for them.:eek: They always offer to pay for materials.:mad: I always offer to have them come over and learn how to do it themselves using my tools and pay for materials used for a start. Then if they like it I will help them set up their own reloading kit. Most will never show up in the first place as all the wanted was a bunch of free ammo. One in ten turns out to become a reloader themselves. I have taught four to reload since the election last fall as well as helping to put on a reloading class for 12 members at the local gun club this spring. The risk is too great when reloading for others without the FFL license and good insurance behind you IMHO.

wally247
April 8, 2013, 12:19 AM
I made up a bunch of 9mm for my uncle and aunt last week.

My uncle is a 3 middle-east tour Marine Sniper vet and he is teaching his wife to shoot and is going to take the CCW course with her soon. Well they have a 9mm and can't find ammo, so I made some up for them to practice for their course.

Would I do it for someone who isn't a friend or relative? Not likely. But for a situation like this I don't have a problem with it. Of course YMMV, I can already see I'm in the minority.

bds
April 8, 2013, 12:21 AM
Things are fine until something bad happens and somebody gets hurt.

I think majority of posts are being made to prevent such an incident from getting "ugly".

Hey, things happen - when you are reloading.

Show of hands, how many of you reloaders had squib rounds (no powder charge) where the bullet got dislodged in the barrel?

When this happens, we may be sensitive of the dreaded "pop" sound instead of the anticipated "bang" and no slide cycling from a squib round and not fire another round. But another person not as familiar/aware may rack the slide (Remember the Tap-Rack-Bang drill they teach you to clear a semi-auto jam/misfire? You DO NOT want to do that with a squib round!) and fire another round behind the bullet dislodged in the barrel ... this will ruin your day or more. Now you are looking at possibly replacing a very expensive firearm or paying for medical bills etc. not to mention possible ruined friendships/relationships.

Unless you are really confident with your reloads and have reloading practices and QC steps that will prevent squib/undercharged rounds from occurring, I would hesitate to have anyone else fire your reloads. I mean, KaBooms happen on a regular frequency and not just with Glocks ... and not necessarily by new reloaders. ;)

NeuseRvrRat
April 8, 2013, 12:43 AM
i have been asked dozens of times if i'll sell some reloads. i politely decline and just say that i'd feel terrible if i made a mistake and blew up their gun or got them injured. i'll offer to let them come over for a lesson and then to let them use my equipment, but most decline. i think the reason is they've tried to read up on how to reload, but got overwhelmed and just gave up.

only person i've reloaded for is my father-in-law. he likes 110 gr .30-06 loads (kinda dumb imo, but i don't argue) and whenever he runs low, i'll load him up a box for christmas, his bday, father's day, whatever. before i started reloading, he would just buy reloads from some guy he knew.

i've had some friends come over and use my equipment to load their own components under my supervision. i show them the relevant data in the manuals and let them decide. usually they'll trade me some range brass they picked up or something. i don't mind hanging out and teaching folks. sometimes it results in them getting their own equipment.

Reefinmike
April 8, 2013, 12:46 AM
MK75-why would you skimp on powder? for 38 spl using hp38, its by far the cheapest component at under a penny per charge. I think a $16 jug of powder lasts for 2,200 loads.

Ill let my brother shoot my reloads in my guns. I give a buddy a box of 38 spl every once in a while but I wont let him just grab any random box of ammo out of my stash. Im careful while reloading on the turret press, but when im giving someone a box of ammo, I will do it "single stage mode" and set all casings in the loading block to very clearly visually verify that there is not a squib to be or double charge.

KansasSasquatch
April 8, 2013, 12:50 AM
I won't reload for "friends" but I reload for my dad. I also occassionally reload a few rounds for FRIENDS if they pay for all of their components, but only once. After that they have to come over and learn. They know my equipment is always available if they give me a little notice. So far only 3-4 are interested in getting their own equipment.

gamestalker
April 8, 2013, 12:51 AM
Other than family members and a couple of long time friends, which I load for regularly, all others I insistent that they sit down and get their hands dirty, so too speak. It's rare though when I give out my reloads to others, and only under certain circumstances. Years ago I used to be a lot more careless in this respect, but now days I'm not as quick to offer. The fact that I've never had an incident does not protect me from someone running them through weapon in poor condition, or doing something to cause a mishap. And I would also think it would be very difficult and expensive for me, to prove that it wasn't my ammo that caused, or contributed to an incident.

GS

788Ham
April 8, 2013, 01:12 AM
Nope ! If you want to shoot some of my ammo, in my revolvers, Okay. However, if you think I'm going to "help you out of a crisis", load up several boxes and let you walk off for free? Ain't gonna happen slick! If either of my brothers wanted some help with cartridges, come on over, bring your powder, bullets and primers, we'll sit down and reload. If you aren't able to perform those duties and show up with whats needed...... get your skates sharpened son, gonna be a cold day in Hell.

JerryND
April 8, 2013, 01:16 AM
My son and I shoot on the same trap team. I load all the shells. He just asked to come over and learn how to load shells. Yippee. My Sil uses my 30-06 for deer and my Hand loads. Years ago I loaded 6mm Rem for a friend. He passes away 3 years ago and Fri I bought his rifle from his widow. Looking forward to loading for it . Will pass it to my Sil. Others have asked, answer has always been no.

James2
April 8, 2013, 01:52 AM
The answer is NO!

allaroundhunter
April 8, 2013, 02:28 AM
I reload for my rifles, and whoever uses my rifles has to use my reloads. Outside of that, no, I don't reload for anyone else. However, if someone in my family asked me to, I would.

Sent from my HTC One X

kerreckt
April 8, 2013, 03:14 AM
My guns my reloads that's it. No exceptions. I don't shoot other folks reloads. No exceptions.

maxyedor
April 8, 2013, 03:48 AM
Everybody who knows I reload has, at some point, asked me to load for them. I always ask what caliber, and then tell them I don't load that caliber. Seems the easiest way to end the conversation IMHO, no argument, no having to explain what powder and bullets cost, no "I won't blame you if something goes wrong" etc.

I also won't tech anybody to load who hasn't done the research themselves and has a good grasp on the process. I can help you figure out a good load for yor gun, or how o set up your press, but if you don't even understand why powder charge is important, I want nothing to d with that trainwreck in the making.

Inebriated
April 8, 2013, 04:42 AM
When I started reloading, I did it with the intentions of making ammo for myself and my dad. My uncle and a close friend both wanted me to load for them, so I told them to bring me the components I use, and I'll load them some for $5/50 rounds. If they want something I don't load for or something other than the particular load I use, they're more than welcome to get themselves a press and go to town.

The only other person's reloads that I'll shoot are a friend of mine who's been doing it for years, showed me a lot of basics, and I trust the way he does it.

GT1
April 8, 2013, 05:02 AM
No one else in my family shoots, at least not the ones local to me, and I don't have any shooting friends that are close enough where I'd reload for them or let them shoot my firearms.

I probably would in very narrow parameters.

wgaynor
April 8, 2013, 08:32 AM
I only have one friend that I have done this for on occassion. It led to him purchasing his own equipment to get into the hobby.

MikeS.
April 8, 2013, 09:00 AM
Only my daughter, her husband and G'daughter. Too much liability issues otherwise.

Reloadron
April 8, 2013, 09:27 AM
I was only loading for my brother who recently got into shooting. For Christmas I got him a complete reloading start so now I just loan him components from my stash. I must admit, it was nice to see Russ get into it.

Other than my brother... Nope.

Ron

Lennyjoe
April 8, 2013, 10:11 AM
For me, my son and daughters only

oldpapps
April 8, 2013, 10:55 AM
The first person to ask me to 'make some bullets' for him was my uncle. It was difficult for this 12 year old to say 'No' to my name sake uncle. My excuse was something about not having the stuff for his .300 Savage, I was loading for a .303 Brit. He never asked again, I was re leaved.

55 or so years later, I have only loaded for two weapons that are/were not mine. My brother's 9MM and my son-in-law's 40. But then those were shot on my range.

I offer the use of my equipment and my assistance and advise. Those who have taken me up on this are now loading their own on their own equipment. Most don't want more than a cheap source of ammunition.

Searcher4851
April 8, 2013, 01:58 PM
I've reloaded for family, but that's it. I've been approached by friends, but always politely refused. I have offered to teach them how to reload their own, but few are interested. I have helped friends that have asked to learn how to reload, but they never asked for any reloads from me. Kinda helps separate the ones interested in reloading from the ones just looking for cheap ammo.

jonkit
April 8, 2013, 02:10 PM
my brother, and a friend who has been learning from me. That's it, I've had people ask and always said no.

Fire_Moose
April 8, 2013, 02:12 PM
Wow, glad none of you are around me!

Since I do not buy factory ammo, if I want to try a gun I'd have to use my reloads. This has only come up a couple times, met a Guy.with an SPP said if I had ammo I could shoot it. I told him it was all my reloads and he didn't have a problem.

Made up about 200 of my "factory" rounds once, designed to function in any 9mm, for a friend and I since he was unable to find ammo to go shooting. Of course I told him too. His shooting of my reloads is his accepting of responsability.

On the otherhand. No one elses reloads go into my guns.

Sent from my CZ85 Combat

45lcshooter
April 8, 2013, 03:22 PM
I reload for one of my ex coworkers son. I've shot the gun with them, found a load he liked, and I reload it, its a caliber I don't shoot so I find the components buy them, that pay me back for the components plus a few extra for my troubles. Everyone wins, his son doesn't need to spend 40 bucks a box of ammo, he only spends a few dollars when he need more made up, then of course I try to buy it all in bulk since we are 3 hours away from each other so I try and make it worth his while.

esheato
April 8, 2013, 03:29 PM
I reload for myself and family if they need some. I have had people approach me to load for them and my answer is always the same: "No, but you're more than welcome to load on my machines with my supervision and I'll teach you how."

Weeds out all the bums and usually ends up with a new friend or two who are serious.

HighExpert
April 8, 2013, 05:02 PM
I reloaded and sold ammo off of my tool truck for about 7 years. I had an FFL for ammo manufacture and $1 mil in liability insurance. I have since given up both the FFL and the insurance, so no more reloading for others.

KansasSasquatch
April 8, 2013, 05:40 PM
I personally don't see why everyone is calling people bums and similar terms. Didn't most of us get into reloading at least partially to pay less for our ammo? Maybe the people we offer to teach aren't always interested because they don't have the time or other resources to get into it. Example, one of the few people I will reload for has a wife, daughter, and adopted son (who has special needs). Well my buddy also coaches his daughters softball team, manages the league she plays in, and he lives over an hour from where his daughter has to practice. I also know he might likely blow himself or a gun up if he got into the hobby on his own. He also pays for components in advance and collects his brass (when his schedule allows him to shoot). Not everyone asking you to reload for them is a "bum." Sure there probably are a good number of them, but lets leave the blanket statement making to the anti-2A folks.

tightgroup tiger
April 8, 2013, 06:03 PM
I have people wanting me to reload for them also and the answer is no. I won't shoot anyone's else's reloads either.

My loads are tailored to my guns and will stay that way. I have my own formulas I use and have worked well for me for the last 40 some years and for the last 80 years for all of our ancestors that reloaded before us, formulas that were in place before computers and ballistics programs hit the market.

I have no intensions of changing my procedures now, and certainly not going to jeopardize what I have by blindly loading for someone else.

I have left people shoot my guns with my loads in them once in a great while, but I know my guns will handle the pressure parameters that I use in making my loads.

Motownfire
April 8, 2013, 06:10 PM
I have had many friends ask me to load for them, my answer is I am happy to help them pick out their equipment, components & teach them how to load properly. I won't load for them though.

The only person I load ammo for beside myself is my wife. If I didn't she would take some of the ammo while I was at work and then shoot me (she's a dam good shot FYI).

Edit: I load a few different calibers for my Dad, but hey, he's my Dad & the man that taught me 98% of what I know about firearms & marksmanship.

silicosys4
April 8, 2013, 07:24 PM
I will let my friends shoot my reloads out of my guns sometimes, but I will not give them ammo to shoot in their own firearms, and I will not load for them. I have offered to walk them through the steps on my equipment if they buy components, but it is their hand on the press handle

taraquian
April 8, 2013, 09:23 PM
I answer with the "you can come load your own on my equipment", nobody has taken me up on it yet, I do load for my dad, but then again, I picked out his guns and do all the maintenance on them....for that matter I do half the shooting from them.

mnhntr
April 8, 2013, 09:27 PM
I have a couple of friends that we split the cost of reloading supplies and they come over and we load a bunch. I have loaded for a few other friends on occasion but I don't make a habit of it. They of course buy the components.

Kachok
April 8, 2013, 10:02 PM
Outside of VERY close friends and family I have only ever reloaded for one other person and that was it was a member here who needed lead free 6.5x55 to hunt in California, and there are no such factory loads available. As a rule I don't shoot other people's loads in my rifles, that is a really bad idea. All my "friends and family" loads I proof myself in their firearm, don't need my brother mixing up 150gr and 180gr during work up again, that could have been really bad. Non handloaders don't understand the principles of pressure, just because you did not get any excess pressure with a 125gr bullet does not mean you can use the same powder charge with a 200gr.

idoono
April 9, 2013, 12:10 AM
I do not load for anyone but myself and my wife. Don't need the liability selling / giving / loaning / whatever to anyone else. On the other hand it has made my youngest son want to reload. Yeah I know I suck as a dad....lol

Idoono

BBQJOE
April 9, 2013, 10:39 AM
I've never loaded for anyone but me.
But if/when bullets become a form of currency, we'll see.

jotjackson
April 9, 2013, 03:13 PM
Its just one of those things I don't do.;)

cavman
April 9, 2013, 03:20 PM
If I am on the Bullseye line and someone forgets their ammo and needs 200 rounds for the match, I'll certainly offer. I've give up 100 rounds here to there, or needed some myself on occasion. Or magazines, or their .22 or 1911, etc., and vice versa. They are all guys I have gotten to know, and are fairly serious shooters so I can't cal them strangers.

But I don't really know anyone else who is not a Competitor who would even ask.

45_auto
April 9, 2013, 03:26 PM
The list of people for whom I will reload is exactly the same length as the list of people who I know and trust well enough to use deadly force on their behalf.

You're in a store, a robber is about to shoot the cashier, and you won't use deadly force because you won't reload for her????

If you were at Sandy Hook you wouldn't have defended any of those kids????

Weird.

Hopefully if you or your family are ever in such drastic need the people around them won't think the same way you do.

If you enjoyed reading about "How many reloaders" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!