project knife

PDA

hso
April 8, 2013, 10:48 AM
I forged this several years ago and dug it out of the pile of ToDoos so I guess I should finish it this year.

It started out as a 3/16ths billet of 1095 and the hammer and steel decided it wanted to be a 4" utility piece with a reduced tang. I just have to finish finishing the blade since it has already been differentially heat treated. LOTS of work still to be done, but it should turn out adequately.

If you enjoyed reading about "project knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JShirley
April 8, 2013, 01:56 PM
I like it.

Vonderek
April 8, 2013, 02:03 PM
Looks like it will be a very useful knife. I like a knife with some 'belly' to it. What kind of handle are you going to put on it?

Looking forward to seeing it when it's done.

hso
April 8, 2013, 04:10 PM
What kind of handle are you going to put on it?

I'm not sure yet.

bikerdoc
April 8, 2013, 05:31 PM
I like it and vision a wood scale.

JimStC
April 8, 2013, 06:13 PM
That will be a working knife. Ditto Doc on the scales.

Jim

Piraticalbob
April 8, 2013, 07:43 PM
That would look good with a nice piece of crown stag. You really need to be able to pick your piece for that, though.

wetpowder
April 8, 2013, 08:47 PM
Very nice work.

hso
April 8, 2013, 08:50 PM
I'm probably going to vist Messrs Wheeler and Breed for advice on how to address the mortise tang (being that those are rather difficult). I could weld a bolt to the end to mate with a brass pommel, but...

bikerdoc
April 8, 2013, 10:24 PM
Once you figure out the mortise think about internal pins for a clean look.

rcmodel
April 8, 2013, 10:48 PM
Make a samich out of two scales & epoxy and pin them on through the tang with Cloisonné' pins or bolt them Loveless bolts.

It won't come apart before you or your ancestors do!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/Knives/PiggunackSet2.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/th_Knife3.jpg

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "project knife" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!