old AKs... what should I know about them

PDA

JohnnyK
April 8, 2013, 08:47 PM
I have a growing collection of newer AKs and am wanting an older one... 1950's vintage... what should I know about them... I know they are hard to find and the parts kits are not cheap... besides that... I think i want a tuype 3 with the milled receiver... when an auction refers to stubs on these rifles are those parts of the milled receiver? thanks, Johnny

If you enjoyed reading about "old AKs... what should I know about them" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SabbathWolf
April 8, 2013, 09:09 PM
If they are saying "receiver" stubs....then that is just a hacked off portion of the receiver. Not a complete receiver.
A lot of parts kits give you a section of the receiver with the trunnions still in there for you to salvage.
With a milled receiver, you got me?
A "stub" is not an actual part as far as I know...unless the are just giving you the front section of a milled receiver so you can salvage the rear sight block.

JohnnyK
April 8, 2013, 10:09 PM
i looked up online and saw people wanting to buy the stubs so they can reweld them to receiver... wouldnt that affect function and look off?

SabbathWolf
April 8, 2013, 10:16 PM
I dunno. Again, I have never heard of a stub being an actual part.
I would look for whole receivers.

If you enjoyed reading about "old AKs... what should I know about them" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!