PETA says it's actively shopping for a drone to monitor hunters

PDA

BK
April 8, 2013, 09:32 PM
http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/04/08/peta-plans-to-fly-drones-that-would-stalk-hunters

PETA Plans to Fly Drones That Would 'Stalk Hunters'

They are currently considering purchasing the CineStar Octocopter, which is capable of carrying a DSLR camera for up to 5 minutes. With smaller cameras, the drone can fly for about 20 minutes. The group says it also hopes to fly drones over factory farms, fishing spots and "other venues where animals routinely suffer and die."
:rolleyes:

If you enjoyed reading about "PETA says it's actively shopping for a drone to monitor hunters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 8, 2013, 09:53 PM
currently considering purchasing the CineStar OctocopterSO?

I am actively considering a CineStar Octocopter drone to watch the 'without Skin', topless lady PETA protester skin shows.

So I'm a dirty old man?
So what!

I ain't no crazier then they are!!

rc

Robert
April 8, 2013, 09:59 PM
What they are planning to do would be illegal here in Colorado. At least for now...

Kachok
April 8, 2013, 10:02 PM
Another classic PETA fail, can I shoot it down if they are flying over my land? :D

rcmodel
April 8, 2013, 10:06 PM
I think you can shoot it down even if it isn't!

What are they gonna do without any evidence a bullet hit it from beyond camera range??

Strip & protest on TV again!

rc

joeschmoe
April 8, 2013, 10:18 PM
What's the bag limit on PETA drones and who will be the first to post trophy photos?

Kachok
April 8, 2013, 10:27 PM
Don't know what the limit is on drones but in Alabama we have a 3 PETA protester a day limit, but the season runs your round.

Texan Scott
April 8, 2013, 11:48 PM
Interference with a legal hunt is a class b misdemeanor in Texas, punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a $2,000 fine per person per offense.

I may have to take a shotgun when I go hunting... steel T shot, you think?

Sol
April 9, 2013, 12:33 AM
Screw the post hunt trophy photos, it's the action mount i'm excited for. Just need to find a taxidermist that specializes in UAVs.

Texan Scott
April 9, 2013, 12:39 AM
Billy Bob's Taxidermy and Radio Shack ...

But seriously, UAVs are weapons of war that belong on the battlefield, not on the streets of America.

tahunua001
April 9, 2013, 01:07 AM
this is fail incarnate.
in many states interfering with a lawful hunt is illegal they can stick to the roads and protest but harrassing hunters and game(IE bull horns, low passes with aircraft, sirens ETC) is a criminal act. also, UAVs with active surveillance equipment onboard are criminal on US soil, even to the armed forces. PETA would immediately have their brand new UAV confiscated and every person involved in the purchase, operation and even knowledge of operation can be charged for invasion of privacy, and harassment and conspiracy.

so go ahead PETA, give it your best shot.

MtnCreek
April 9, 2013, 09:22 AM
UAVs with active surveillance equipment onboard are criminal on US soil, even to the armed forces.

Can you give some more information on this please?

RC, You know those peta girls don't shave, right? :barf:

Godsgunman
April 9, 2013, 09:50 AM
RC, thats hilarious!
I think I'll purchase my own drone and fly it over a bunch a PETA protesters and drop a bunch of farm fresh eggs on 'em. People Eating Tasty Animals like farm fresh eggs dont they? "Officer I'd like to report a fly-by egging".

CoRoMo
April 9, 2013, 10:07 AM
FINALLY!!! A practical use for the Taurus Judge/S&W Governor.

I don't think I could bring myself to fire at a target in the air with my rifle. When out elk/deer hunting from now on, my side arm might have to be a Judge with those novel buckshot loads. That'll bring down their drone!!

OilyPablo
April 9, 2013, 10:07 AM
Accidental/Negligent in the general direction of a drone IS hunting.

Old Shooter
April 9, 2013, 11:14 AM
I thought it was a bird! :evil:

ldlfh7
April 9, 2013, 11:45 AM
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals :neener:

MtnCreek
April 9, 2013, 11:48 AM
I'd put on my best redneck accent:

Man it was one of them there ufo's. Dern thing was trying to beam me up. I don't tolerate them there ufo's one bit. Them little green jokers best stay the heck outta Georgia!

elkdomBC
April 9, 2013, 12:07 PM
can't see why it shouldnt work for them ! (PETA)

I caught a fella havin a dump a couple of years ago with my Trail-Cam,,,,,,,,

made me feel a whole lot better knowing "what" was goin on the bush :neener:

ApacheCoTodd
April 9, 2013, 12:14 PM
How wonderful for them that they have the money to consider this rather than spending it on, well, I don't know.... maybe the overseeing of ethical treatment to animals.

DeepSouth
April 9, 2013, 12:26 PM
What's their point, you can get on YouTube and watch hunts all day long.

It has been said " you can medicate crazy, but you can't help stupid."

I have found this to be true. :scrutiny:

tarosean
April 9, 2013, 12:33 PM
My new answer for why I need a "30 round clip"

CoRoMo
April 9, 2013, 01:12 PM
I caught a fella havin a dump a couple of years ago with my Trail-Cam,,,,,,,,
Pictures or it didn't happen.

Oh wait, nevermind.

ldlfh7
April 9, 2013, 01:22 PM
This was an april fools joke from luckygunner.com but quite appropriate for this discussion LMAO
http://www.luckygunner.com/12ga-3-uranium-drone-load-tacnition-5-rounds

allaroundhunter
April 9, 2013, 01:49 PM
Another classic PETA fail, can I shoot it down if they are flying over my land? :D

Looks like a dove to me ;)

Sent from my HTC One X

WardenWolf
April 9, 2013, 03:21 PM
"PULL!":evil:

BP Hunter
April 9, 2013, 03:26 PM
I can't wait to see it. I'll see how good I am with a rifle...

These PETA people should get a life...

Madcap_Magician
April 9, 2013, 03:44 PM
I am all for PETA doing this. I hope they buy more than one of them.

joeschmoe
April 9, 2013, 04:12 PM
New hunting accessory! Pre-order now!

Radio Direction Finding scope with rail mount.

Rembrandt
April 9, 2013, 06:15 PM
They run about $9,000-to-$12,000 per drone.....might be neat to shoot one down and have it mounted in the trophy room.

ApacheCoTodd
April 9, 2013, 08:19 PM
I'd bet their point is to queer a stalk or shot for the sheer sport of it. They were out running around hunting areas in the 90's banging stove lids, singing and generally carrying on to disrupt hunts.

I can imagine the video imagery of "saving" some majestic woodland or plains creature from their inhuman, un-ethical and brutal slaughter at the hands of a bloodthirsty hunter would go a long way in fund raising events.

Now, in another light - what a great inspiration this is for an entrepreneur to get into drone supported, pre-hunt scouting contracts.

WardenWolf
April 9, 2013, 08:35 PM
They run about $9,000-to-$12,000 per drone.....might be neat to shoot one down and have it mounted in the trophy room.
It depends. Keep in mind that lots of people have built their own R/C drones with camera for under $500. Consumer radio control vehicles are good enough nowadays that it's really not that expensive. I mean, just look at this:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f269/

If you can buy that for $170, imagine what you can do for just a little more.

OilyPablo
April 9, 2013, 08:54 PM
The lower the cost the easier to bring down with bird shot. Or buck.

WardenWolf
April 9, 2013, 10:03 PM
That being said, some R/C planes aren't all that easy to bring down, though to be effective as a surveillance device it would have to move quite a bit slower. Still, this looks fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLLAKnVej9o

Sebastian the Ibis
April 9, 2013, 11:05 PM
At least one of these has been shot down already:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Flying-Camera-From-Animal-Rights-Group-Shot-Down-at-Pigeon-Shoot-Cops-179983451.html

Hunting mechanical targets is what PETA is after isn't it?

WardenWolf
April 10, 2013, 01:32 PM
I'd take a Barnes Varmint Grenade for one of those things. The skin is usually pretty thin. The trouble is normally just hitting something vital. A varmint grenade would rip it apart.

icanthitabarn
April 10, 2013, 08:25 PM
Sounds ridiculous and an attempt to get responses to copy and paste.

JVaughn
April 10, 2013, 08:28 PM
So what if they do? Who cares? People hunt, people fish, it's not a secret, everyone knows.

joeschmoe
April 10, 2013, 08:31 PM
So what if they do? Who cares? People hunt, people fish, it's not a secret, everyone knows.
Reminds me of the old story of a French politician confronted by a blackmailer with photos of his various affairs. The politician asks for 8" x 10" prints to show his friends.

a98kdoc
April 10, 2013, 11:04 PM
I wonder how many more dogs and cat's they could kill with that money.

wetpowder
April 10, 2013, 11:38 PM
Shotgun blast no more drone. People keep giving money to them(peta)

Texan Scott
April 10, 2013, 11:40 PM
People for the Unethical Tracking of Americans...

rodinal220
April 10, 2013, 11:48 PM
I knew I bought a 10 gauge for some reason.

smalls
April 11, 2013, 02:12 AM
I don't hunt, but I sometimes venture in here for golden threads such as this :).

OilyPablo
April 11, 2013, 06:42 AM
What IS the bag limit in your area?

gfanikf
April 11, 2013, 06:49 AM
Drones would be one of PETAs lesser sins....compared to this crap those scum do.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/nathan-j-winograd/peta-kills-puppies-kittens_b_2979220.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Double Naught Spy
April 11, 2013, 07:25 AM
Interference with a legal hunt is a class b misdemeanor in Texas, punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a $2,000 fine per person per offense.

I may have to take a shotgun when I go hunting... steel T shot, you think?

Use of lethal force to commit property damage against another as you intimate may incur similar penalties and loss of your ability to get a hunting license.

UAVs with active surveillance equipment onboard are criminal on US soil, even to the armed forces.

Got a citation for this law? RC enthusiasts have been doing it for years with planes and helicopters. You can buy active video quadcopters for as little as $300.
http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-AR-Drone-Quadricopter-Controlled-Android/dp/B007HZLLOK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365678263&sr=1-1&keywords=parrot+ar+drone

Nothing illegal about it.

Few people want to be recorded by strangers they think have nefarious intent whilst engaged in sporting or recreational activities. It is hard to claim to be that great hunter when somebody has a video of all the times you missed. :p

303tom
April 11, 2013, 10:38 AM
:rolleyes:
I am with Mike Huckabee on this one, here in the Midwest we call it Skeet Shooting.........

TheOld Man
April 12, 2013, 12:59 AM
Where's Dick Cheney when we need him? Tell him it's a flying lawyer. :D

Bobson
April 12, 2013, 02:24 AM
At least one of these has been shot down already:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Flying-Camera-From-Animal-Rights-Group-Shot-Down-at-Pigeon-Shoot-Cops-179983451.html
From the article:

"The gunshot caused around $4,000 in damage to the camera, according to SHARK. SHARK claims this is the fourth time the drone has been shot at while trying to spy on what they claim are inhumane pigeon shoots."

:neener:

Jim NE
April 12, 2013, 11:50 AM
I wonder how a drone would taste with stuffing and hollandaise sauce?

Geno
April 12, 2013, 08:44 PM
Don't let PITA see this one. :D It's a conversion from a rubber band wind up plane, flown remote control. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAz9M7KCupA

Geno

splattergun
April 12, 2013, 09:58 PM
Call "Shotgun" Joe Biden; he'll shoot both barrels of a double-barreled shotgun out your back door. No more mean ol' drone.

MCgunner
April 12, 2013, 10:54 PM
Hope they fly over when I'm goose hunting and my 10 is loaded with T shot. :D

OilyPablo
April 12, 2013, 11:33 PM
Call "Shotgun" Joe Biden; he'll shoot both barrels of a double-barreled shotgun out your back door. No more mean ol' drone.

I called him. He is on his way in a Ferrari.

Art Eatman
April 13, 2013, 11:04 AM
Hokay. I guess we've droned on long enough. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "PETA says it's actively shopping for a drone to monitor hunters" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!